Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

There's also a bit of a mechanical problem in that the hive lord is regarded as a vehicle in the game mechanics and gets put into missions only designed for infantry . .
I most hate about the campaign that in missions where you play against tyrannids and then replay them as the tyrannids they don't even make you start where the NPC tyrannid started but at the same fucking point the other races start . . and replace the tyrannids with some other race instead.

reusing the same old maps i could live with, that makes sense because it's the same location after all. but for fucks sake, at least use different objectives and starting points.

the soulstorm planetary map would have been an idea as well.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Stahlseele wrote: reusing the same old maps i could live with, that makes sense because it's the same location after all. but for fucks sake, at least use different objectives and starting points.
Really? Ugh. That's disappointing as hell. That's just a straight up lack of caring.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, that's the same old Dawn of War Problem.
Has been the Problem since Soulstorm at least.
If you don't have a complete campaign for every race but reuse the same campaign for each race is something that grates on my nerves.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Thanks, that overall analysis is good enough. I won't get it unless they put it out as a cheap special deal.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising are better in that Regard, they have their own complete Campaigns, not as repetitive. Dow" Retribution has the Orks as a playable Race, and they are fun.
It's sometimes available for kinda cheap on steam.
DOW2 and Chaos Rising are one and the same game, Retribution is it's own standalone game.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

I bought Pikmin 3 a week ago. It was pretty good, but also pretty short. The number of collectibles is between Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2, but there are no time-stopped underground sections that give you time to really play around with the different pikmin types. I completed the main story in about thirty days counting days I retried due to poor initial planning. The ration system felt tacked on - I can't imagine running out of food unless you take ages to find fruit and lose hordes of pikmin in the process. On the plus side, the environments were beautiful and the new pikmin were a lot of fun. It has had a number of quality of life improvements like pausing to view the map and being able to send leaders to locations while you use another leader to do stuff.

I'll have to try out the mission mode some more. I also hope I can convince someone to play multiplayer with me - the battle mode in Pikmin 2 was a blast.
Last edited by rampaging-poet on Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

ookaayy . . something i just found out about Civ5 the hard way:
it does NOT like being started in 5760x1080@60Hz using only 1 GPU for nVidia Surround with 3 Screens <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I ended up nabbing Retribution seeing as I didn't need to get Chaos Rising and all that, and seeing as all DLC is just for multiplayer like the Last Standalone.

I see what you mean about the laziness, and the campaign is pretty short. I mean, I could probably punch through it in one sitting. Still, at least the surrounding dialogue isn't too bad*. And it's refreshing that they all have British accents - it seems appropriate for a GW game. Hilarious that instead of a football hooligan accent, the Ork Freeboota Kaptin (ie pirate) has a West Country farmer (ie pirate) accent. Just hearing him say "Eldar" is worth it, though I keep hoping for him to mention cider and "Git orf moi land!"

The races play fairly differently, which is nice. I mean, the resource management is all standardised, which is a shame**, but Nids let you just plow on forward headfirst into all encounters, ignoring special activated abilities for the most part. Eldar are a finesse race where you need to use your special abilities a lot and half the units get killed if you don't use cover and hit-and-run tictacs. Orks are slow as shit, but great defensively. Chaos are generally awesome as general fighters with occasional special abilities to disrupt shit, although the Sorcerer must not ever get close to melee or suppressive fire.

But once I finish, that'll be it, time to uninstall. I'm not interested in multiplayer, and a brief search for mods turned up nothing for single player. That's pretty disappointing, but the game itself is pretty solid.

*Generally. It's stupid that the Howling Banshee (Phoenix Lord? Autarch?) refers to any opponent as soulless vermin and then says "Fine, nibble away". Appropriate for the Tyranids, but not so appropriate when fighting against their fellow Eldar.

**DoW1 really pleased me with that - Necrons only using power, not requisition. Eldar having their soul harvest, Sistaz using Faith generation, Orks having the Waaagh! that builds over time, and so on. So just seeing everyone smash "boxes full of requisition points" or "boxes full of electricity" to release tokens to click on, and everyone having a "kill enemy units" bar, is kind of disappointing.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

The multiplayer is is more like DoW1. You might also want to try the coop defense mode; that was so popular it got released as a separate game.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I did play around with Last Stand a bit. It's kind of fun, shame there isn't a single player mode. And not just because I hate other people (although this is also true), I have trouble connecting to the games.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

http://i.imgur.com/vCCdRdv.jpg

Smash Bros 4 looks like it's going to have an impressive variety of character model alts along with the new special move customization.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

Ok, so the guys who totally screwed the pooch on MWO (PGI) are now asking you to send them money for a space game: https://transversegame.com/about/funding
It looks terribad and they should feel bad.

As you can tell, after 2 days they have 60 backers, in for around $6K. When they hit $1M, they're going to make a game. $2M if you want to shoot things with your spaceship.

That's amusing in a schadenfreude way, but the kicker is the way they've played the PR. Knowing the storm on reddit caused by MWO, they created two subreddits: r/transverse and r/transversegame, and then banned anyone not being nice about the game. Which was everyone, but especially those burnt by MWO. OFC this is against the reddit rules, so now both subreddits have been removed, along with all the PGI accounts. Which has suddenly made the MWO subreddits much more interesting.

Their own forums didn't have rules on usernames, so a bunch of impersonators sprung up and now it seems overrun with trolls. To the point where I legitimately can't tell whether some accounts are rabid PGI fanboys or just trolling.
The star citizen guys had to post on their own forums, asking people to stop. At that point, it's a little like a mercy killing.

And then they let slip that they have a license for Wing Commander from EA. Which I'm starting to think is blackmail: "See, it would be sad if someone went and destroyed your childhood nostalgia. I'll wait here while you pledge for our game."
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

And they fucked up the developement of Mechwarrior Tactics as well.
MegaMek is STILL vastly superior in anything but graphics. And there it is more faithfull to the original . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I'm still pained in the rear that Dawn of War 2 gave Eldar immobile grav platforms and wall building guardians, that's pretty bullshit for a race known for high mobility and "their grav platforms let them move and shoot!". Guardians are the least interesting part of their whole military.

It would've been more interesting to fit in more aspect warriors. Like...
Instead of Guardians: Dire Avengers
Instead of Brightlance: Fire Dragons or Reapers
Instead of Shuriken Cannon: Jetbike or Hawks with a suppression grenade
Instead of D-Cannon: Shining Spears

Leave wall building and static artillery to the Imperial Guard.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Probably.

@Transverse Disaster:
This shit keeps getting better and better:
http://themittani.com/news/pgi-and-igp-part-ways
http://themittani.com/content/traffic-c ... nsreversal
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Once you get a few missions in, you can flat-out ignore the existence of Guardians. For the later ones, I just took all heroes and then added Wraithguard, with Banshees/Warp Spiders. Or where possible, Fire Prisms and Wraithlords (and the Avatar).

Until you have a Prism, the "loot the Ork base" stage is really hard. Eldar aren't designed to be stationary and defensive. But then in the later missions it's insane, with Kayleth able to just about solo things through grenade barrages, skyleaping and just moving so damn fast she can perpetually remain behind most vehicles. And then with the sniper doing rapid-fire pulses with the gun that has "any kills creates a stun-burst explosion".

And then the final battle is a real bitch for them, because you just have to grind through it, constantly producing more heavy units as you slowly carve HP off Kyras. Similar to Imperial Guard, minus the Deep Striking LMR Tanks. Whereas Nids and Chaos just stamped on his face. Not sure how Orks will manage.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

From what i have read(i have obviously been doing it wrong) the game is so hillariously broken in some regards that you can slay kyras pretty damn fast with any race, if you do it right . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Went through with Orks, and while it took ages, I did it with almost no casualties - infantry constantly reinforce because of an ability the Warboss has, he has an item that restores HP to everyone (even characters that suffered a KO), Waaagh! provides healing and resilience, one character can instant-revive characters from a distance, and there's a cheap-ish global ability that makes everyone immune to damage for a bit.

So now I've beaten it with everyone except Blood Magpies, and I don't intend to even start with them. Played around a tiny bit with skirmish matches (vs AI), but it's not much fun without a story to it and the dialogue that crops up and picking upgrades from one mission to the next rather than just applying them during the battle. Last Stand is kinda' fun when it works. I'm running an obnoxiously pink Hive Tyrant.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

They should have made the base game.
Then sold each race as addon with a complete campaign.
I'd have thrown 20 bucks per race at them damn it <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Dedede was my main in Brawl. It seems heavyweight + strong aerial is my deal. He is probably not good in "No weapons fox only FINAL DESTINATION" mode but I enjoyed playing him the most.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

So . . after MONTHS of me playing Civ5, the game decides to crap out on me with this error message:

FGXRenderer11::Present failed hr=DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Driver failure

The fuck? It's telling me my GPU was removed while the error message is displayed to me on screens connected to exactly that GPU since i don't have an iGPU in my CPU . .

That's the same level retarded as the old "Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue" Error Message damn it x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I realized I have a copy of Terarria sitting in my steam inventory that I've had for months. I bought it for someone as a gift and it turned out they already had it. Does anyone want it?