[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/3 ... ce-Fiction

So, yeah. I hope somebody gets slapped upside the head for this, because otherwise I'm fucked.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

"Writing science fiction while black" is apparently a crime now.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Surgo wrote:"Writing science fiction while black" is apparently a crime now.
It's good to know that the brave cops are doing their best to defend us. I know I am safe on the road, because all the black people are arrested there, but I had previously been subject to the danger that black people might be publishing the books I read on the internet without being arrested for their heinous crimes.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Actually it seems more like writing fiction about school shootings while a teacher.

This probably also applies to students.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Actually it seems more like writing fiction about school shootings while a teacher.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I read excerpts of that guy's writing. He deserves to be locked up.

(facetious comment is facetious, of course).
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Here are the two books:

http://www.amazon.com/Insurrectionist-K ... 0075CP2SG/

http://www.amazon.com/Liliths-Heir-K-Vo ... B00FUL3ZRY
This is pretty accurate to what is happening, I don't think race had much to do with it, it just happens that he is black. Now these books were written a number of years, 3 for the first and 1 for the other, ago. So why now?
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Probably because nobody knew about them until now, and clearly if you write about a massacre at a school of any sort in any tone for any reason with any level of (non-)connection to reality it is because you are a ticking timebomb.

Now, who do I call to report Stephen King for writing Carrie? You know, that famous novel about a school massacre that he wrote while working at a fucking high school?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I read most of the Punisher: MAX imprint. And they have shown, among other things, child slavery, human trafficking, the aftermath of a school shooting, and a few assassins with machine guns murdering every baby in a nursery on Christmas Eve to take out a mobster's newborn.

Why the fuck is Garth Ennis not arrested but this dude is?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Teachers and students are held to a more stupid standard. Not everywhere, but in enough places that one of these stories of dramatic overreach pops up every few months.

I like to think that most principals or board of education members and such aren't raging asshole morons, but as this story evidences, some are.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Ancient History wrote:http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/3 ... ce-Fiction

So, yeah. I hope somebody gets slapped upside the head for this, because otherwise I'm fucked.
Well, it might bost his sales...
or not looking at the price for the ebooks.
Last edited by Korwin on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

hyzmarca wrote:

Nah, he wrote the book in question 3 years ago. He was not a teach when he wrote it.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

DSMatticus wrote:Probably because nobody knew about them until now, and clearly if you write about a massacre at a school of any sort in any tone for any reason with any level of (non-)connection to reality it is because you are a ticking timebomb.

Now, who do I call to report Stephen King for writing Carrie? You know, that famous novel about a school massacre that he wrote while working at a fucking high school?
He wrote RAGE, a novella about a high school student killing a teacher and taking a class hostage, while a senior in high school. Someone let the authorities know the evidence is piling up.

Game On,
fbmf
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

It's definitely overreacting. When I was in high school one of the books we had to read was about a school shooting.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

fbmf wrote:He wrote RAGE, a novella about a high school student killing a teacher and taking a class hostage, while a senior in high school. Someone let the authorities know the evidence is piling up.
And he himself hasn't let the book be re-published. If you can find a used copy, keep it, because the thing will never see the light of day any other way. Authorial censorship - the least objectionable kind, but still disturbing.

Now if we could just persuade him not to let any of his more recent works go into print...
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Next up on the list of things that Occluded Sun has actually said: Advocating for censorship of an author by others immediately after condemning censorship of an author by himself.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Do your parents know you're accessing the Internet without their supervision, Chamomile?
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I think they are both idiots. But goddam if I don't feel like shit having to take Chamomile's side in an argument.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Stephen King's recent works have been startlingly unoriginal. He's been reduced to making sequels to his past great works. Evaluations are subjective, but quite a lot of people think the latest novels aren't particularly good and regret that King wanted them published.

Yet despite that, some thoughtful and insightful person still finds a way to interpret a joke I make about this situation as an argument in favor of censorship. What a very remarkable demonstration of wit and reading comprehension.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Update claims it wasn't the books, but a 4-page letter

While that's initially encouraging, especially as someone who was close enough to have to stay away from windows during John Schick's highly forewarned rampage -- the paucity of details has me disturbed that writing is apparently still enough to get you locked up without a trial......
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Occluded Sun wrote:
fbmf wrote:He wrote RAGE, a novella about a high school student killing a teacher and taking a class hostage, while a senior in high school. Someone let the authorities know the evidence is piling up.
And he himself hasn't let the book be re-published. If you can find a used copy, keep it, because the thing will never see the light of day any other way. Authorial censorship - the least objectionable kind, but still disturbing.

Now if we could just persuade him not to let any of his more recent works go into print...
It's for sale on Amazon. I just looked. You have to buy it as the collection known as The Bachmann Books, but it's there.

Game On,
fbmf
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Wow. I know for a fact that he had decided not to let it be reprinted. When did he change his mind, I wonder?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Occluded Sun wrote:Wow. I know for a fact that he had decided not to let it be reprinted. When did he change his mind, I wonder?
He didn't change his mind. RAGE went out of print in 1997, and all subsequent editions of the Bachmann Books don't include it. However, since they are physical objects that don't spontaneously combust when they go out of print, you can still purchase pre-1997 copies on Amazon.

-Username17
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Used copies. Check.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Occluded Sun wrote:Used copies. Check.
Or just unsold copies. Amazon has 11 new copies of the 1986 printing of The Bachman Books on sale for like 60 bucks. It's just fundamentally harder to memory hole a physical book than it is other forms of media.

-Username17