Awesome stuff you found/bought

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Awesome stuff you found/bought

Post by Prak »

I went to a store called Evangeline's yesterday on my day off. It's in Old Sacramento and is very much an eclectic sort of pop gift shop. It's a bit like a brick and mortar [url=http://mcphee.com/shop/"Archie McPhee[/url], except not actually tied to the magazine. It's got various sections, ranging from perennial american fascinations like one full of stupid shit you'd find in a some back country store where people are bemusedly proud to be rednecks, and a small Star Trek/Wars section, and a comic merch section and Doctor Who and so on and so on. More importantly, however, is the Evangeline's Costume Mansion, which is open from late-August through Halloween, and has both common and hard to find costume supplies, ranging from the same masks and costumes you'll find at your local seasonal Halloween pop up store, to more uncommon fare like vulture and raven and frog masks, and a lot of actual high end costume apparel, like actual corsets for their burlesque and steampunk sections, and mid-range top hats and fedoras (sadly only really cheap bowlers, however).

However, the thing I found was full sized ram horns on an elastic band:

I don't even know what I'm doing or wearing for Halloween, but I had to have a set of the best fucking horns I've ever seen. I may just take to randomly wearing them.

They're an elope product, so were pretty affordable, and could probably be found elsewhere, but still.

I also found "Lowbrow Victorian Posters" and bought one which needs to be framed. Here's a pic from the maker's website:
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Re: Awesome stuff you found/bought

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Prak_Anima wrote: I don't even know what I'm doing or wearing for Halloween, but I had to have a set of the best fucking horns I've ever seen. I may just take to randomly wearing them.
Dude. Do it!

I just helped my dad sell a whole bunch of my Grandparent's old stuff in a yard sale (they grew up in the Great Depression and threw nothing away), and they had a whole bunch of old Viking Cologne bottles. They looked like this:

I kept one of them. I have no clue what I'm going to do with it though.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Looks vaguely phallic.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

With those horns, I think you should hit up a makeup artist and see if they can do you up as the Faun from Pan's Labyrinth.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Or a bantha.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Bantha would be a great costume.

In the vein of cool stuff being bought/found, this weekend we went garage sale shopping hunting for some clothes and specific toys. Pro tip: When hunting for specific things at garage sales you are pretty much guaranteed to never find them. Anywho, on the upside mrs. erik got a >5' tall Knex roller coaster and I built it with a bit of help from my 5 year old. It was missing some stuff (like 1 of 2 motors, and the instructions), and had some previous-owner inflicted damage but I persevered.

Here's a pic of the boys playing with the finished product.

It took about 5 hours to build from scratch, but split over saturday and sunday.

The orange thing near them is a motor that sends the single-car roller coaster over the top (a bit over 5' tall).
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:With those horns, I think you should hit up a makeup artist and see if they can do you up as the Faun from Pan's Labyrinth.
With the tools and material, I could probably do it myself. What I'll more likely do is a devil, however. I picked up a long pointed prost. nose and "werewolf" claws too.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Why does that decorative skull look like it has an hatchet gash in the face? Either way, that's awesome.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Because it's a casting of a real human skull that had taken a hatchet to the face. Then was buried, dug up, and carved.