POKEYMANS thread

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, signing up to tumblr is certainly more than you should expect me to do.

Also, tumblr is blocked at work, which is where 90% of my Den time occurs.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Also reasonable. Thread is started here: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=404726#404726

Lets say until Mon 10pm pacific (ie, 27 hours, fifteen minutes from the time of this post) for ideas on geographical basis and name.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

A Pokemon x Tekken Crossover?
It's more likely than you think!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Cs4L1 ... r_embedded
So, appearantly, this is going to be a thing that exists . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

And, as is par for the course with Nintendo, it will only be in Japan.

...Well, so far. There's been no word one way or another on any international releases. Hell, they haven't even confirmed if the game will get any home releases yet (Pokken is an arcade game).

I will be infuriated if they don't port it over.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

but . . does that not take away everything people like about pokemon and replaces it with tekken?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Are you serious? This is like the greatest thing ever. I've always dreamed of playing as a Lucario and beating the crap out of Chun Li. Or was that Sonya Blade...? One of the two, I'm sure.

Anyway, I love playing Pokemon games that are different (Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Snap are prime examples); just because it's not a core game or share elements with them don't mean it's bad.
Half asleep upon my knee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Chun Li and Sonya Blade are from Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat respectively if i remember correctly.

But i was talking about the different elemental types and the round based combat. This is really taking the 2 core conceits of pokemans and doing away with it for:"mash buttan!"
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

(I know that Chun Li and Sonya are from different games; I was making a joke.)

Actually, Pokémon's biggest core conceit is the battling, collecting and trading of Pokémon; besides, I think the thing people like most about Pokémon is the Pokémon, and not necessarily the fact that the game is turn based or has a rock-paper-scissor style of combat, so as long as the game focuses on Pokémon, I'm fairly certain it will do okay.
Half asleep upon my knee
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Half asleep upon my knee
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So. Recently, CoroCoro revealed two new Mega Evolutions for OR/AS: Pidgeot and Beedrill. If there were any two Pokemon that I was least expecting to get a Mega Evo, it would've been them.
Half asleep upon my knee
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'm disappointed that Mega-Beedrill doesn't just get a set of massive drills, TTGL style. That said, it sounds like it's a very simple "make it good at a thing" change (as opposed to "it is good at nothing ever"), by boosting Speed and Attack and then giving it some Adaptability so Bug and Poison attacks hit even harder. 50 Power Pin Missile and 60 Power Fell Stinger seem okay, 160 Power Poison Jab and X-Scissor is beastly. 140 Power U-Turn too... It could even be a killer of Fairies and Darkness.

And it is probably bumped up to "decent at a role" by that, unless the stat boosts are too small or it's too fragile to survive that first turn where it switches in. I can't see Megadrill being banned from standard play, for all the fucks anyone gives about that. But yeah, that's nice - what with other "Now I'm viable!" critters being banned, seeing Beedrill take a seat in regular teams would be cool. Giving people panic attacks as they have flashbacks to being stuck without Potions in Viridian Forest.

Mega-Salamence (why no Mega-Dragonite?) looks like a Necron aircraft. That's pretty cool. Megatross looks pretty sweet, as well.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Shrapnel wrote:I think the thing people like most about Pokémon is the Pokémon.
Yeah, that's definitely true for me. I haven't even played the newer games, but I like browsing bulbapedia, using Pokémon in smash bros, listening to Pokémon music, watching some of the battles from the anime on youtube and sneaking Pokémon into my DnD games.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I am greatly enjoying the megasplosion in these gens.

Disappointed about Mega Salamence instead of Mega Dragonite though. Also I'm still holding out a vague hope for a Mega Mewtwo Z, which is just Mewtwo with his attack stats and defense stats swapped. Seriously, that thing would be a god damn monster.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I want to cause undue harm to whoever thought it would be a great idea to release the ORAS demo everywhere in the world... except America. I would also like to cause that person further uncomfortableness for deciding to make the demo a limited release.

Just... what the fuck, Nintendo. What the fuck.
Half asleep upon my knee
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Everywhere except America? That's fucking hilarious.

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

You wound me, madam. Wound.

But I mean really. First, they don't release a majority of the distribution events over here (mostly in Japan, the fuckers), and now this. It's like Nintendo wants to give American players a great being V.

EDIT: FINALLY they're release going to release the demo in the States. FINALLY.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, today I learned that Japan is having a new promotion, called Pokemon Scraps. Basically, you buy specially marked merchandise (TCG packs, toys, tuna sandwiches (no, really)), and inside are "scrap cards", and when you collect enough of them, you can redeem them for special shit in OR/AS.

Most of the stuff you can get is just items, but there are three Mythical Pokemon being offered: Keldeo, Victini... and Shaymin, which is one of only TWO Pokemon I don't have (the other being Manaphy).

Since these kinds of things are never ported overseas, I can only say this:

FUCK YOU, JAPAN
Half asleep upon my knee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Junji Ito just did art for a Pokemon Halloween promotion
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Awesome!

...Who's Junji Ito?
Half asleep upon my knee
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Huh, you didn't have Manaphy? That was one of the legit ones I had (as opposed to both Darkrais, Celebi and so on).

Anyway, now they've revealed Mega-Steelix and Mega-Glalie.

For the former, it looks pretty rad - he has a bulldozer for a face, essentially. Ability changes to Sand Force, which works pretty well I guess. Another case of not changing the way it plays, just making it good at the thing it already does.

For the latter, it looks creepy. And that is awesome. People should have one just for the way it looks. As a pure Ice type, its ability changes to Refrigerate, and that... could be okay. If it gets a boost to Attack, we're looking at a few noteworthy attack changes (in addition to existing Ice moves and status ones and such):
-Headbutt (Power 70 -> 91 -> 136 with a chance of Flinch)
-Return/Frustration (maximum Power 102 -> 132 -> 198)
-Facade (when Poisoned or whatever, Power 140 -> 182 -> 273 - hard to guarantee though, because you can't just hold a Toxic Orb)
-EXPLOSION (Power 250 -> 325 -> 487)

That last one sounds hilarious, and I fully encourage it.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Koumei wrote:Huh, you didn't have Manaphy? That was one of the legit ones I had (as opposed to both Darkrais, Celebi and so on).
You... you had a Manaphy... and you never told me...?

:cry:
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I finally bought myself a 3DS. Having a job that pays more than minimum wage is very nice. ...even if I've been demoted and now make just over minimum wage... but I digress. So I finally was able to get Pokemon Y.

I will post my PSS ID as soon as I figure out what it is.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I was listening to Pokémon music on YouTube just now, and I found Miror B.'s theme... and it made me realize how much I love the Coliseum games. I really hope they make more of them. Or at the least, rerelease them for the Wii U.

(Speaking of which, can the Wii U even play Gamecube games?)
Half asleep upon my knee
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, recently I found a fan-made Pokemon game called Pokemon Omicron/Zeta, created using RPGMXP. I discovered the game after Darth told me about it.

At first, I was all excited because it has walking Pokemon. But really, it's got a lot of problems... namely: dumb plot, bad animations, the graphics are really sloppy (I'll post examples later), Gen VI Pokemon don't have cries, most of the download links on Redditt are full of adware and viruses (never a good sign), it was a pain in the ass to download (although I admit that was a personal problem), fakemons (I hate fakemon), and general rickety-ness.

Overall, I'd rate it better than Black/White (not that that's hard), not as good as B2/W2. Maybe somewhere inbetween.

Of course, knowing Darth, he'll say that these aren't problems or that they are worth it because "WALKING POKYMANZ", which, while awesome, cannot overcome ALL failings.

If there is interest, I'd could do a LP of Omicron here on the Dens. Because I've always totally followed through on things like this. *COUGH* munster manel *COUGH*
Half asleep upon my knee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I know Shrapnel's baiting me, but I'll bite.
Shrapnel wrote:But really, it's got a lot of problems...
Let's break these down.
wrote:dumb plot,
It's literally the plot of every non-remake Pokemon game since Gen III (other than Black/White, which had the "plot" of really bad monologues). So it's dumb, sure, but it's better handled than it's been for quite a while (probably about as good as Gen IV, better than later gens).
bad animations, the graphics are really sloppy (I'll post examples later), Gen VI Pokemon don't have cries,
These are valid problems. However, I will note that the game isn't a ROM hack, it's made on RPG maker (as you yourself note.) So it essentially has to do most of the specifically Pokemon stuff (more advanced than base mechanics) from scratch. It's also a WIP, and the Gen VI stuff is in the process of being added. What I'm saying is that a lot of these are problems that are being worked on. In general I'm willing to hold free fanmade products to a lower standard than official ones that cost money.
most of the download links on Redditt are full of adware and viruses (never a good sign),
That's a problem with reddit, and not with the game.
it was a pain in the ass to download (although I admit that was a personal problem)
And thus completely irrelevant to the game.
fakemons (I hate fakemon),
There's only one, and they make fun of it in the game itself. I thought you liked self-parody.
and general rickety-ness.
Not even sure what you mean here.
Shrapnel wrote:Of course, knowing Shrapnel, he'll say that these aren't problems or that they are worth it because "CHARACTER CUSTIMOZATION", which, while awesome, cannot overcome ALL failings.
What is exactly what I'd say about X/Y, which, I will point out, costs money, whereas this is free. I was going to try to avoid making that kind of attack, but you've played my hand by doing it first.

I'll conclude that I've enjoyed Omicron more than any Pokemon game since HeartGold/SoulSilver.

EDIT: also, this happens in the game:
Not sure where I'd put it so I just added it in at the end.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).