Awesome settings you couldn't get into due to the rules

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

silva
Duke

Awesome settings you couldn't get into due to the rules

Post by silva »

Looking at my bookshelf makes me a little sad because I see a lot of great settings that I never ended up playing due to the rules that acompany it, or that we ended up playing only to see its rules was not to our tastes.

For me thats the case of Mechwarrior RPG, Dictionary of MU, and Eclipse Phase. In the Dictionary case I even appreciate the Sorcerer rules but my groups never bought into it. In Mechwarrior case, I admit I find it awful. It feels like a lifepath chargen with a task-resolution attached. And Ecliipse is the kind of game I see myself playing when I was 12 years old with all time in the world in my hands, but that I abandoned completely as soon as I had family, work and study to care about. There are others in this situations, but for the sake of brevity Ill leave it at those three.

How about you ? Does this hapens to you ?
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

GURPS. The setting is basically Lego the RPG, at least the aspect of Lego where you can mix up your pirate set and space set and knights set and urban contemporary set and get something cool.

But then you introduce players who want to kill things and a GM who wants to make it a challenge to affect the world and it stops being as cool.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, the Battletech/Mechwarrior RPG. I TRIED. And i failed.
I decided to throw my character out an airlock after 4 hours of trying to play by the rules.
Seriously. You play as a clanner?
A Warrior Race BRED for combat?
A Mechwarrior will not have enough Points to get a decent piloting skill AND Vehicle Points(Yes, you need to allocate a huge fucking ammount of your starting points to something that should by all rights be GIVEN to you for free) AND unarmed combat high enough up so you can defend yourself from some prick just challenging you to an unarmed duel for the mech you spent your points on . . and beating you up horribly because you chose to be good at piloting a good mech and not at beating somebody up like a schoolyard bully.

GURPS . . i do not like fantasy, so the setting we were playing in might have been playing a role there but also my horrible luck in dice rolling.
If i need to roll over, i constantly low roll. If i then use the same dice and need to roll under? boxcars all the way down.
And then the attributes/skills system and then figuring out what dice to roll for what and how much i need to roll below what and how much i would need to improve on what to get better odds at beating that roll . .
I tried several sessions with my VERY patient with me buddies who had played it before . . and i simply could not wrap my head around it <.<
Last edited by Stahlseele on Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sakuya Izayoi wrote:GURPS. The setting is basically Lego the RPG, at least the aspect of Lego where you can mix up your pirate set and space set and knights set and urban contemporary set and get something cool.

But then you introduce players who want to kill things and a GM who wants to make it a challenge to affect the world and it stops being as cool.
Someone needs to make a Lego rpg
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

and in that setting too, fighters can't have nice things and sorcerers rule supreme.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

The World of Indiana Jones (Masterbook/d6)
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

There are a number of settings for FATE that sound cool, but I just can't get into that system. I can appreciate its design on a theoretical level, especially the newer iterations that remove the padded-sumo issue - it looks more functional than some of the systems I do play, in fact.

But in play, it just leaves me cold. Something about the fungibility of aspects and skills/characteristics - I've seen behind the curtain, and I can't unsee it. Maybe with a really amazing GM, but so far its never worked for me.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Stahlseele wrote: A Mechwarrior will not have enough Points to get a decent piloting skill AND Vehicle Points(Yes, you need to allocate a huge fucking ammount of your starting points to something that should by all rights be GIVEN to you for free) AND unarmed combat high enough up so you can defend yourself from some prick just challenging you to an unarmed duel for the mech you spent your points on . . and beating you up horribly because you chose to be good at piloting a good mech and not at beating somebody up like a schoolyard bully.
Hmm, couldn't you just, you know, run to your mech and use it to kill anyone who challenges you to unarmed combat for its possession? Accepting honorable challenges is for losers.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

maglag wrote:
Stahlseele wrote: A Mechwarrior will not have enough Points to get a decent piloting skill AND Vehicle Points(Yes, you need to allocate a huge fucking ammount of your starting points to something that should by all rights be GIVEN to you for free) AND unarmed combat high enough up so you can defend yourself from some prick just challenging you to an unarmed duel for the mech you spent your points on . . and beating you up horribly because you chose to be good at piloting a good mech and not at beating somebody up like a schoolyard bully.
Hmm, couldn't you just, you know, run to your mech and use it to kill anyone who challenges you to unarmed combat for its possession? Accepting honorable challenges is for losers.
Not in Clan Society.
They are bred for war.
Honor comes before life.
They live by the ultimate might makes right mindset.
There are rules for this shit.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

There's like three Savage Worlds World Books that are pretty much Awesome on my scale of 1-10. Savage Worlds is a festering pile of shit, but the things people put out for it are pretty cool.

Space 1889. Jules Verne-style space adventure pulp.
Gaslight Victorian Fantasy. My inner steampunk/gaslamp fanboy squees.
And Weird War Two; alternative history where the Nazis really did have the occult. Done better by Hellboy, though.

Outside of Savage Worlds having a signal to noise ratio that doesn't even come close to approaching 1:1, there was this indie RPG called Little Fears (and another RPG like it that was better for not having something I'll touch on) where you played kids who went into Dreamland and fought all the Horrors of the world.

However... you were also hunted by the Seven Deadly Sins. One of them was Lust. Pedophilic, rapist Lust. You were expected to encounter this guy at least once. Ugh.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, Brilliant Gameologists talked about Little Fears. It sounded interesting outside of the whole Prince of Lust thing. I think WoD had an rpg that was similar in premise, but I can't remember the name, and there is also Grimm, which is, again, kids going into storybook land.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

maglag wrote:
The Clans are kinda big on martial honor. People would take it very badly if you did that and your boss would probably feel obligated to kill you.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Infernum. Excellent and detailed setting full of political intrigue, wars and adventures, but the rules were pretty awful and unbalanced.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Prak wrote:Yeah, Brilliant Gameologists talked about Little Fears. It sounded interesting outside of the whole Prince of Lust thing.
The thing of it is that Lust is expected to narratively rape one of the PCs when first encountered. That's literally how he's written as an antagonist. Considering you're playing characters aged 6-12... bleurgh.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

name_here wrote:
maglag wrote:
The Clans are kinda big on martial honor. People would take it very badly if you did that and your boss would probably feel obligated to kill you.
What if you challenged all the clans to control of all their mechs at once, then nuked the accumulated honor-freaks from orbit? Or killed them with something that wouldn't harm their mechs?

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

RelentlessImp wrote:
Prak wrote:Yeah, Brilliant Gameologists talked about Little Fears. It sounded interesting outside of the whole Prince of Lust thing.
The thing of it is that Lust is expected to narratively rape one of the PCs when first encountered. That's literally how he's written as an antagonist. Considering you're playing characters aged 6-12... bleurgh.
Yeah, they mentioned him, and that he was the one real problem with the game, even squicking out a gm who would normally be fine with super over the top descriptions of gore.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Prak wrote:
name_here wrote:
maglag wrote:
What if you challenged all the clans to control of all their mechs at once, then nuked the accumulated honor-freaks from orbit? Or killed them with something that wouldn't harm their mechs?
They would not feel bound to the result because you are an honorless fuck.
You CAN do it.
You can have the leader of one clan challenge the leader of the other clan for the entire clan and have them duke it out 1v1.
And as long as NOBODY PULLS ANY STUPID SHIT and everybody abides by the rules established before hand, the losers clan will accept the winner as their new leader.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Right, that's why nuking all the clans at once is your first honorless act. So that it actually works.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

It just does not work.
Because the clans own several dozend to hundreds of star systems and inhabit most of them.
You'd have to do a nuclear steam rolling over a good part of the known universe.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

Prak wrote:
RelentlessImp wrote:
Yeah, they mentioned him, and that he was the one real problem with the game, even squicking out a gm who would normally be fine with super over the top descriptions of gore.
Friend's husband keeps trying to get me to play it. I got copies of the books, and reading it, thats basically the selling point of the game. It constantly references the idea that you are children in adult situations, and the whole thing is just nonstop kids getting molested. And not in a "Lol bad joke baby rape" nonsense. In the sense that you wouldn't feel comfortable letting the author near your kids, even with supervision.

To the point where I said I'd potentially be into playing it, if we could scale the PCs ages up to college or something, and thats apparently a deal breaker.
Berkserker
1st Level

Post by Berkserker »

Legends of Wulin.

I was like "Ohmygod this is so damn cool!" I love the setting it lays out, love how the themes of the setting fit a wuxia movie, love it. Then I looked at the mechanics and I was like "What the fuck is this shit!" I cannot into a system that turns every roll into an optimization math puzzle. I play with ex-con warehousemen. Systems need to be simple enough for us to be able to puzzle out while we gorge ourselves on pizza and Kirkland Signature Vodka. So I looked at the mechanics, sighed, and tossed the book into the 'interesting yet unplayable' pile.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Prak wrote:Right, that's why nuking all the clans at once is your first honorless act. So that it actually works.
Ironically, you won't be able to get very many of them to show up because of their honor system. The traditional Clan battle starts with both sides calling each other up, listing off their force org chart, and then taking turns removing things from their own list until they're happy. It is considered very respectable to bring a smaller force than the enemy and win anyways.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Stahlseele wrote:It just does not work.
Because the clans own several dozend to hundreds of star systems and inhabit most of them.
You'd have to do a nuclear steam rolling over a good part of the known universe.
In 3062 the clans held ~40 systems outside the IS. As of 3142 the Star Adders, the largest clan left in the homeworlds, holds 12. The IS Houses hold hundreds, with the Fed Suns having 500+.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Some games that come to mind are Twilight: 2000 and Mayfair's DC Heroes RPG. Maybe Aftermath! as well.

I think the far larger category would be "settings that sound awesome, but that actually kind of suck for using in an RPG".

EDIT: forgot the exclamation point in Aftermath! (sic)
Last edited by hogarth on Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Earthdawn. I loved the settings, but the rules greatly reduced our enjoyment of the game.