Not Quite-OSSR: Poison'd

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Will, it can still be Max-maxed. Soul only matters in that it stops you from committing heinous acts, mostly due to GM compulsion, and keeps you from going to Hell when you die. But given that your character's eternal resting place doesn't matter, and the game only lasts until someone has two characters die, who cares? So you take 6+ sins, 6+ ambitions, and 6+ sufferences that aren't mutilation and two profile enhancers, and you start with the best stats possible. And you're playing pirates, so it's very hard for someone to level the "evil bad min-maxer" argument at you for not starting with fewer of these things. Especially when the game makes it so economical to start with Devil 6.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Princess
Journeyman

Post by Princess »

Yep, it can. I meant that Soul stat while being impossible to max works quite illogical, making character tougher against torture. Which is not the most relevant thing in most games (well, in my games, but V. Baker probably had other games in mind, with lots of rape and torture).

And the problem is that there even no roleplay block to counter that. I mean of course in some systems (like WoD) you can max out combat stats but you 'll have to justify it. In Poison'd you get some devil points just for being pirate and some more for being female (who is actually forced to pose as men, not doing it because of being blasphemous or perverted) ... that is unless you want to play very important and interesting roles like "guy who washes floors". And other stuff is maxed just as you want while being roleplay adequate.

And the last issue is, I see no way how this system helps to play pirate. Playing balsphemous devil worshipper who indulges himself in every sin — well may be. Pirates, at least in my worldview, are not about sodomy and worshiping false idols.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Remember, sodomy is just the act of anal sex, usually used to refer to homosexual anal sex, but everyone can enjoy some sodomy and it can be entirely consensual. And it is in and of itself blasphemous, because Bible-God Only Approves of Naked Missionary With The Lights Off. Hell, you can also just be a man who refused to marry his brother's widow and be a blasphemer.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Princess
Journeyman

Post by Princess »

Well, I see nothing impossible in setting wich was actually was created by one true God (christian, no islam, zoroastrism and such), and he hates homosexuals and even sex for pleasure. Do Ars Magica qualify?

But we are promised game about pirates, not about sinners in the world created by God as Bible images him. Why the hell the game focuses on whether character sinned or not instead of focusing on how good is our ship's broadside and how many cannons we have?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Because it's a game about theme and story, and pirates actually tended to believe in god pretty strongly.

Edit: also, the number of cannons you have is determined by the type of ship you have. You don't explicitly have a way to get a new ship, but nothing stops you from boarding a better ship and slaughtering everyone on board. And ship condition/stores/etc are tracked as events which can come up, and start in play as part of the "shit's going down wat do" start proscribed by the game.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

sandmann
Apprentice

Post by sandmann »

Prak wrote:Because it's a game about being edgy and hipster.
Fixed that for you.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

sandmann wrote:
Prak wrote:Because it's a game about being edgy and hipster.
Fixed that for you.
Isn't that what I said?

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Prak wrote:Because it's a game about theme and story, and pirates actually tended to believe in god pretty strongly.
That's a load of fucking crap and you know it.

Even if you want to play Grim and Gritty (Faux-)Historical And Totes Not Bowdlerized Pirates, you still have to respect modern sensibilities. Yes, as counter-intuitive and hypocritical as it seems, you still have to do this even if your pitch is 'play pirates as they ACTUALLY were, not this Disney crap'. Because you're selling a game, not a history class.

All that stupid Christian crap does is get in the way. If I want to play erotically-charged Edgemaster Pirate Sexventures, it does no one any favors to put a lesbian on the same level of Edginess as Rollo the Mad-Dog Rapist.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

shlominus wrote:
Princess wrote:i am an idiot.
i agree.
I know right, it is like a fractal of terribleness, where the entire thing is horrific, but each individual sentence is also horrible in multiple different ways that relate back to the whole.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Prak wrote:Because it's a game about theme and story, and pirates actually tended to believe in god pretty strongly.
That's a load of fucking crap and you know it.

Even if you want to play Grim and Gritty (Faux-)Historical And Totes Not Bowdlerized Pirates, you still have to respect modern sensibilities. Yes, as counter-intuitive and hypocritical as it seems, you still have to do this even if your pitch is 'play pirates as they ACTUALLY were, not this Disney crap'. Because you're selling a game, not a history class.

All that stupid Christian crap does is get in the way. If I want to play erotically-charged Edgemaster Pirate Sexventures, it does no one any favors to put a lesbian on the same level of Edginess as Rollo the Mad-Dog Rapist.
Eh, I said they believed, not that they were faithful, and the dominance of religion is accurate to the period. It's a setting detail, is all. One of the cited inspirations is Pirates of the Caribbean. It's obvious that some level of supernatural was desired, but anything more than dogmatic Christianity would require real work, which Vincent Baker doesn't want to do.

Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Princess wrote:Why the hell the game focuses on whether character sinned or not instead of focusing on how good is our ship's broadside and how many cannons we have?
Because Vincent Baker. The guy could do a MLP:FIM RPG and it would include rape and Hard Moral Choices™
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Red_Rob wrote:
Princess wrote:Why the hell the game focuses on whether character sinned or not instead of focusing on how good is our ship's broadside and how many cannons we have?
Because Vincent Baker. The guy could do a MLP:FIM RPG and it would include rape and Hard Moral Choices™
That might actually be his greatest success, given what bronies are like.

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

So the basic mechanic for unopposed rolls involves two different people rolling opposed dice pools?

That seems massively inefficient.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Basically, yeah. The idea seems to be that your actions and drive oppose each other. I suppose a better more efficient way to handle it is to make the stat opposed to your roll stat a difficulty or threshold. So that if you want to murder someone, you're rolling your Brutality, and your Soul is either the number each die has to come up, or the number of hits you need total.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

So if someone learned that the God of Virginity was trying to destroy the world, and the only way to depower him was to devirginize everyone on the entire planet,
Ya know, it seems really trivial to me, such a "spell" could just be reflavored/explained as instead merely removing the [virgin] condition as whatever defined by the gods metaphysics. So instead of delving into any major discussions, its solved with possibly a minor explanation, and likely be found more silly than...yeah.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

What this discussion of Poison'd really needs is the opinion of Zak S
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Zak likes Monster Hearts, so I'm reasonably sure that he likes Poison'd. That's not a dismissive statement, just a simple assessment of preferences. Like how I liked Winter Soldier, so one could reasonably surmise I liked The First Avenger. I imagine he'd also find my review of the system "assholish."