Why do "Retro" games sabotage themselves?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Mechalich wrote:One of the problems with randomly generated treasure is that is generates items that should not exist. Particularly, when dealing with combinations of weapon and armor types and abilities, rolling randomly leads to the production of large numbers of items that are so inefficient and inferior compared more common variants that it is difficult to generate a fluff reason for why someone expended the resources necessary to produce the darned things. This problem becomes worse and worse with rulebook bloat and you start generating things that are only of any use to some class variant that isn't being used in the campaign world at all.
Unlike the players, people in the world have no idea what happens when they pump mana into a sword while boiling it in basilisk tears. The players don't actually know what happens either, but they are given a cost/output equation to work with. People in the world don't have that, and are actually doing magical stuff in some sort of weird quasi-engineering sense to make these things.

Outside an established formula, all magic items should be crazy inefficient things that do weird shit. When player characters make new items an aren't copying something they have explicit instructions on how to make, the things they create should have semi-randomized abilities. Why and how does an enchanter make a specific unique enchantment that is ruthlessly efficient from a cost/benefit standpoint? How is that even supposed to work? We're talking about a magical object that is also a prototype, of course it shouldn't be streamlined!
Antariuk wrote:Would you mind elaborating on the elements that were better in older forms?
Just to name a couple, let's talk about skill systems. 2nd Edition AD&D had several skill systems that were all half assed and explicitly optional (although the assumption that you were going to be using Non-Weapon Proficiencies and Thief skills became more and more explicit as more books were written and rules bloat needed something to hang its hat on). Now I wouldn't say any of them worked particularly well, but compared to how immediately and severely the ranks system of 3e goes off the rails, they are a breath of fresh air.

Simply put: if skills are supposed to be mundane bullshit that low level people can do with the kind of "has thumbs and knowhow" that mortal humans possess in the real world, then there's no reason to worry ourselves what high level skill numbers should do. High level abilities can be abilities, and we can stop trying to have a discussion about what a "high level" output on a swim check or a use rope check is supposed to look like. And Secondary Skills and Personal Ability and Non-Weapon Proficiencies of 2nd edition all delivered on that premise in a way that 3rd edition's level scaling skills failed to deliver on its premise.

Or let's take diplomancy. In AD&D, you meet a new creature and there's a reaction roll to determine whether combat music starts. In 2nd edition, the Etiquette NWP can give you a bonus on that roll to make fighting less likely to happen. That's much better than the cluster fuck we have in 3e. Under 3rd edition rules, the Diplomacy bonuses are so off the charts that it's trivial to turn everyone you're allowed to talk to into your fanatical followers - but the act of talking to people literally takes three times as long as the battle it's intended to prevent - so there's actually nothing you can do to stop fights from happening, and what non-combat encounters you're allowed to have by DM fiat all give broken outcomes. AD&D 2nd Edition has simplistic diplomacy rules, but the outcomes aren't broken and they cover more of what needs to be covered than 3e's do.

Or lets take stronghold ownership. People do it in AD&D. It has a specific positive effect (attracting troops), and the GP cost is not otherwise something you need to constantly spend all of on improving your pants and shoes. Because higher tier equipment can't be purchased for gold, you can spend your gold on kingdom management instead of personal gear upgrades.

I wouldn't go back to playing AD&D, because overall it's a poorly edited mess full of bad ideas. Just thinking about racial level limits, class XP charts, and secret to-hit tables makes me shudder. But 3e's skill and gear systems were not good and we could probably do better with a partial roll-back.
Prak wrote:I'd be perfectly fine with people looting "Weapon Essences" rather than full enchanted weapons.
Fuck. Off. Name an instance in any book, story, or movie where anyone ever found a "weapon essence" and chose to spec it to a lucerne hammer. Name one. It never fucking happens, because that kind of computer gamey nonsense is 99.5% less cool than finding a magical weapon that has a name and a story.

It only happens in computer games because programming different weapon swing animations for different characters is a lot of work and people don't want to do it. Table Top RPGs are not computer games and run on "imagination" which can produce animations for absolutely any combination on the fly. There is no reason to accept shitty video game shortcuts.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm not saying it has source material support, I'm saying that taking the "Flaming Essence" from the salamander's spear and putting it into my warhammer doesn't offend my fantasy sensibilities, and it's a way to handle the "but I use scimitars!" basket weavers who don't want to use the +20 Vorpal Glaive-Guisarme they found because it doesn't fit the image they have in their mind for their character.

The better point, really, is that it's in no way "Old School-y," so it is counter to what's being discussed here.

However- what if the type of weapon you were using was mostly or entirely fluff? Gygax had all fucking kinds of obscure weapons and never heard of a polearm he didn't like enough to put in the game, and basket weaving is dumb, and Weapon Focus (Cheese Grater) is fucking cripplingly dumb, so what if the game either just gave the Fight-y Class "Weapon Skill" and left the appearance of the weapon to the discretion of the player (and so at least the "but all my feats are specced for cheese graters!" problem is handled, if not the "but my character is a glaive-guisarme poleaxe weilder!" one), or weapons were statted by category, so all light weapons acted the same, and all one-handers acted the same, and so on, and then whether your light weapon was a main-gauche or a hunting knife or sai didn't matter beyond description, but it was different from the short sword/club/battleaxe in your other hand?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

tussock wrote: Misses all the other stuff people do with RPGs, but there's not many useful rules for all the other stuff anyway, unless you like Bearworld or Mousegaurd or whatever.
Mouseguard does not have useful rules for anything but combat to death and dungeonforest crawling.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

FrankTrollman wrote:Unlike the players, people in the world have no idea what happens when they pump mana into a sword while boiling it in basilisk tears. The players don't actually know what happens either, but they are given a cost/output equation to work with. People in the world don't have that, and are actually doing magical stuff in some sort of weird quasi-engineering sense to make these things.

Outside an established formula, all magic items should be crazy inefficient things that do weird shit. When player characters make new items an aren't copying something they have explicit instructions on how to make, the things they create should have semi-randomized abilities. Why and how does an enchanter make a specific unique enchantment that is ruthlessly efficient from a cost/benefit standpoint? How is that even supposed to work? We're talking about a magical object that is also a prototype, of course it shouldn't be streamlined!
Yes, that's true, but it's been an awful long time since magic item creation in D&D has functioned even close to that. The point I was trying to make is that extant item generation tables in extant sourcebooks (of pretty much any edition) have a tendency to generate results of extremely low utility, which undercuts the purpose of having them at all.

And while it sure would be nice to have players collect cool flavorful items with interesting backstories and weird situational abilities, the average player has been trained, both by a combination of 3.X and video games, to treat any item that doesn't provide an immediate and frankly fairly obvious mechanical benefit as nothing more than a funny-shaped pile of gold pieces. While I personally hate that (at least while GMing), getting players to abandon it problem requires a deliberately antagonistic incentive scheme at this point.
Last edited by Mechalich on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Prak wrote:I'd be perfectly fine with people looting "Weapon Essences" rather than full enchanted weapons.
Fuck. Off. Name an instance in any book, story, or movie where anyone ever found a "weapon essence" and chose to spec it to a lucerne hammer. Name one.

Heh, I appreciate that you were so specific of speccing it to a hammer.

While it is video gamey and not as cool as a storied weapon of legend... so is having a sack full of gold or a magic item store, and leveling up with XP, all staples of D&D. I feel a bit dirty acknowledging it, but I do think I would be quite alright with grabbing fire essence stone and slapping it on my sword, or metal essence quicksilver to bond to my weapon to make it keen or bashing depending on its type.

I think younger players won't be offended by it at all since while weapon essensce's DNA is videogamey, it also can make sense in a story setting. I wouldn't worry about having a gem or whatever for every possible enchantment, but having for the basic ones seems like an improvement. A legendary weapon may be one that you can't break down for parts mebbe (either can't or wouldn't, because it would lose some of its special sauce).
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Let's be honest, finding one magical weapon after another and upgrading is not something that happens frequently in the stories either. Hobbits find a set of elven blades in the tomb, and then they use those blades for the entire trilogy. King Arthur goes on a quest to replace Sword in Stone after it is lost, but then he sticks with Excalibur to his death. Heracles just uses non-magical weapons he has on hand for the entire career, and chokes lions resistant to non-magical weapons with his bare hands.
The entire concept of advancing and getting better equipment is video-gamey, because heroes in traditional stories are much more static. They usually don't advance from zero to legendary blademaster over the course of multiple grand adventures the way RPG heroes do. When magic items are important for the book heroes, it's usually their signature weapon which they don't trade for Thor's Hammer +4. Skeeve goes through 12 books worth of adventures, and remains a rogue with telekinesis for most of them.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Heroes in most traditional stories "usually don't advance from zero to legendary blademaster over the course of multiple grand adventures the way RPG heroes do" because they usually don't have multiple grand adventures!
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Longes wrote:Let's be honest, finding one magical weapon after another and upgrading is not something that happens frequently in the stories either. Hobbits find a set of elven blades in the tomb, and then they use those blades for the entire trilogy. King Arthur goes on a quest to replace Sword in Stone after it is lost, but then he sticks with Excalibur to his death. Heracles just uses non-magical weapons he has on hand for the entire career, and chokes lions resistant to non-magical weapons with his bare hands.
The entire concept of advancing and getting better equipment is video-gamey, because heroes in traditional stories are much more static. They usually don't advance from zero to legendary blademaster over the course of multiple grand adventures the way RPG heroes do. When magic items are important for the book heroes, it's usually their signature weapon which they don't trade for Thor's Hammer +4. Skeeve goes through 12 books worth of adventures, and remains a rogue with telekinesis for most of them.
You are reading the wrong books for the most part. If you want "high fantasy" in RPG terms, books, then a lot more characters upgrade. Off the top of my head lots of people in Wheel of Time upgrade their angreal, I'm reading a YA series where she's upgraded her sword like 2.5 times in three books, and even Harry Dresden upgrades his shield bracelet and staff, and I think blasting wand. Yeah, if your series is about low powered people who never become high powered, then upgrading probably doesn't happen (though aragon does upgrade his sword from an elven made badass one to an even more badass one).
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:Heroes in most traditional stories "usually don't advance from zero to legendary blademaster over the course of multiple grand adventures the way RPG heroes do" because they usually don't have multiple grand adventures!
Of course. Heroes in traditional stories advance from zero to legendary blademaster over the course of a single grand adventure.

Doesn't Perseus gain 5 magic items over the course of like 4 encounters?
Last edited by schpeelah on Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

schpeelah wrote:
RadiantPhoenix wrote:Heroes in most traditional stories "usually don't advance from zero to legendary blademaster over the course of multiple grand adventures the way RPG heroes do" because they usually don't have multiple grand adventures!
Of course. Heroes in traditional stories advance from zero to legendary blademaster over the course of a single grand adventure.

Doesn't Perseus gain 5 magic items over the course of like 4 encounters?
Don't heroes in these stories start out as high level as they are going to be and just get new items to further supplement them? I don't believe these people 'level up' in the sense that characters do in DnD.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

MGuy wrote:Don't heroes in these stories start out as high level as they are going to be and just get new items to further supplement them? I don't believe these people 'level up' in the sense that characters do in DnD.
Stories where the protagonist starts as a total noob, with some old masters commenting on his high potential, and ends up the best in the setting at whatever it is they do, are pretty standard.
Last edited by schpeelah on Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

schpeelah wrote:
MGuy wrote:Don't heroes in these stories start out as high level as they are going to be and just get new items to further supplement them? I don't believe these people 'level up' in the sense that characters do in DnD.
Stories where the protagonist starts as a total noob, with some old masters commenting on his high potential, and ends up the best in the setting at whatever it is they do, are pretty standard.
Traditional or more modern ones? I can't think of an old greek tale off hand that didn't have some person who was already badass do bad ass stuff with/without the help of magic items. Robinhood, King Arthur, Siegfried, even the people in the Hobbit already had skills and just met new people or got new gear along the way.
Last edited by MGuy on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

MGuy wrote:
schpeelah wrote:
Traditional or more modern ones? I can't think of an old greek tale off hand that didn't have some person who was already badass do bad ass stuff with/without the help of magic items. Robinhood, King Arthur, Siegfried, even the people in the Hobbit already had skills and just met new people or got new gear along the way.
There are certainly stories where a young inexperienced hero heeds the call, meets an enigmatic mentor, and saves the girl. Luke meets Obi-Wan and defeats Darth Vader, Wesley is captured by Dread Pirate Roberts and saves Buttercup, Daniel is tutored by mister Miyagi and beats up the bullies, Bruce Wayne swims in the money vault trains with the ninjas and becomes Batman. However those stories rarely fit any format RPGs would replicate.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

MGuy wrote: I can't think of an old greek tale off hand that didn't have some person who was already badass do bad ass stuff with/without the help of magic items. Robinhood, King Arthur, Siegfried, even the people in the Hobbit already had skills and just met new people or got new gear along the way.

So... every story you can think of involves characters who either did or didn't use notable gear and either did or didn't involve the characters gaining noticeably in power along the way. Thank you, that is probably the sum total of possibilities, now stop wasting our fucking time pretending you have something to say.

Anyway, for the non-mouthbreathers in the conversation, one thing that separates RPG characters from folk tale characters is that RPG characters keep their advancement from one story to the next. Folk characters usually don't. There are 37 Robin Hood ballads in the Child anthology. And while Robin Hood learns or gains something (or several somethings) in almost all of them, there is little continuity between the tales. Robin Hood learns to be a sailor in the Noble Fisherman, but these are not skills he demonstrates in other tales. Robin Hood gets a pile of French pirate gold in the same story, but in other stories he decidedly lacks said giant pile of treasure.

In an RPG you essentially have a continuity whore as one of the story's co-authors. The player of the character remembers and writes down advancement of the character, and they make sure to bring that shit up when it's appropriate. When Robert E. Howard wrote Conan stories, he didn't much care about continuity. There are some stories where Conan struggles to beat a wolf and there are some stories where Conan struggles to rape a frost giant, and there was never any attempt to connect those dots. But in an RPG, that would not fly. Once a character achieves the power needed to rape a frost giant, one of the story's authors is definitely going to remember that.

-Username17
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Longes wrote:
MGuy wrote:
schpeelah wrote:Stories where the protagonist starts as a total noob, with some old masters commenting on his high potential, and ends up the best in the setting at whatever it is they do, are pretty standard.
There are certainly stories where a young inexperienced hero heeds the call, meets an enigmatic mentor, and saves the girl. Luke meets Obi-Wan and defeats Darth Vader, Wesley is captured by Dread Pirate Roberts and saves Buttercup, Daniel is tutored by mister Miyagi and beats up the bullies, Bruce Wayne swims in the money vault trains with the ninjas and becomes Batman. However those stories rarely fit any format RPGs would replicate.
I didn't claim that those stories don't exist at all. Look at what I said. I can't think of ye olde tale that involves a character who was not already skilled becoming more skilled. Old greek tales, legendary tales like that of King Arthur, Siegfried, and the like. I know that modern examples exist, I can't think of any really old ones.
Last edited by MGuy on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

FrankTrollman wrote:
MGuy wrote: I can't think of an old greek tale off hand that didn't have some person who was already badass do bad ass stuff with/without the help of magic items. Robinhood, King Arthur, Siegfried, even the people in the Hobbit already had skills and just met new people or got new gear along the way.

So... every story you can think of involves characters who either did or didn't use notable gear and either did or didn't involve the characters gaining noticeably in power along the way. Thank you, that is probably the sum total of possibilities, now stop wasting our fucking time pretending you have something to say.

Anyway, for the non-mouthbreathers in the conversation, one thing that separates RPG characters from folk tale characters is that RPG characters keep their advancement from one story to the next. Folk characters usually don't. There are 37 Robin Hood ballads in the Child anthology. And while Robin Hood learns or gains something (or several somethings) in almost all of them, there is little continuity between the tales. Robin Hood learns to be a sailor in the Noble Fisherman, but these are not skills he demonstrates in other tales. Robin Hood gets a pile of French pirate gold in the same story, but in other stories he decidedly lacks said giant pile of treasure.

In an RPG you essentially have a continuity whore as one of the story's co-authors. The player of the character remembers and writes down advancement of the character, and they make sure to bring that shit up when it's appropriate. When Robert E. Howard wrote Conan stories, he didn't much care about continuity. There are some stories where Conan struggles to beat a wolf and there are some stories where Conan struggles to rape a frost giant, and there was never any attempt to connect those dots. But in an RPG, that would not fly. Once a character achieves the power needed to rape a frost giant, one of the story's authors is definitely going to remember that.

-Username17
So you facepalm. Imply I was wrong. Call me a name. Then immediately admit that I had something there and say yea, folk tales don't sync up with RPGs. Oh goody I like when this happens.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

MGuy wrote:So you facepalm. Imply I was wrong. Call me a name. Then immediately admit that I had something there and say yea, folk tales don't sync up with RPGs. Oh goody I like when this happens.
In the sense that you cast such a wide net you were bound to catch something. What do you want, a fucking cookie?

What you said is: "People in folk tales have skills. Sometimes they get stuff, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they're naturally badass, sometimes they aren't." You aren't even goddamned right about how folk tales don't sync with RPGs.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

The best argument against characters regularly upgrading magical equipment as they level up is that it is something not often done by characters in actual D&D novels. While I haven't checked in on Drizzt in a while (thankfully), I suspect he's using the same two scimitars he acquired in the late 80s. That was 20 books ago.

Usually when D&D novel characters gain significant power boosts its either in the form of obvious levels or some major advancement in spellcasting. So never mind folk tales, myths, or other inspiration there's a huge disconnect between the D&D ruleset and the D&D narrative material itself.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Mask_De_H wrote:
MGuy wrote:So you facepalm. Imply I was wrong. Call me a name. Then immediately admit that I had something there and say yea, folk tales don't sync up with RPGs. Oh goody I like when this happens.
In the sense that you cast such a wide net you were bound to catch something. What do you want, a fucking cookie?

What you said is: "People in folk tales have skills. Sometimes they get stuff, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they're naturally badass, sometimes they aren't." You aren't even goddamned right about how folk tales don't sync with RPGs.
Are you mad that I wasn't wrong about it for some reason? My words were attacked despite there being nothing wrong with what I said only for him to immediately turn around and not disagree. So I called him on it and this offends you how?

Edit: And what I said was, "I don't know of any old traditional tales of heroes who weren't skilled at the beginning of the story." Then gave examples just in case people might be confused about what I was talking about.
Last edited by MGuy on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Things that worked strictly better in old editions.

[*] Team jersey alignment. The people on team Troll are those who think the usefulness of Trolls (for killing their problems) is totally worth all the random murder of innocents and risk of exponential Troll apocalypse. The people on team Hobbit really fucking hate those type of people, because they feel obliged to clean up the mess, and not let it get near the Hobbits, like all the time. Because we can just stop having discussions about what it means to be "good" in D&D, and define it clearly as "being on those guy's side". It's what people want, no one's insulted by it.

Nine teams with typical alliances including a Neutral party who just wants less bullshit wars is fine. In AD&D your Paladin should totally just kill baby Orcs, because you're on eternally-opposed teams, it's the Druid who'd object, supporting the weaker team against over-predation on a case-by-case basis. Paladins are violent wingnuts, but they're your violent wingnuts, and they hunt down terribly dangerous monsters and associates thereof.

[*] Team-based initiative, with a fixed order of events. Early editions had a thing where your side did stuff, then their side did stuff. They had a declaration phase and rolling it every round for a fog of war effect that really just gets in the way, but just drop those bits. The traditional problems are arguments, and you solve them by just having magic go first, then missiles, then movement, then melee. Done. It's faster, it scales better, it supports teamwork, you need less interrupt special casing, and you can move in formation without breaking the abstraction.

Everyone trying to remember that Bob the Barbarian goes after Orc#4 this combat is bad for the game.

[*] +1 weapons needed to hit. As interesting as the idea of DR 5/magic is, subtracting a number from the number you're subtracting from another number is not fun. Vulnerabilities aren't bad, banes and so on, we're already adding up damage, but if you want to simulate a monster where you want a magic weapon to kill them at all, invulnerability works really well for that. How do Frost Giants kill Werewolves? With silver runes on their giant magical hammers, eh.

If you must have monsters that are harder to hurt some ways, just make them vulnerable to everything else. Adding is easier.

[*] XP for treasure. Assuming you want dungeon-bashing to make sense. Like, in 3e, chasing a random antelope down just to kill it is how you go up levels. In 1st edition, carefully avoiding the wildlife so you can keep looking for treasure is how you go up levels. 1e is better there. Hunters should all be level 11 in 3e, where collecting wolf pelts finally stops making you better at everything, and sneaky tomb raiders stuck at level 1 because all they found was hordes of treasure and magic. Special case fixes are bullshit, notorious thieves and conquerors should be high level opponents. Why do Druids go on dungeon crawls? Riches! Same as everyone else.

[*] Hard caps on stacks. The thing in 2nd edition where your AC is capped at 30, that's a good thing. Complex stacking rules are ... alright, but they don't work. Ultimately, things break and you just need a number you're not allowed to be better than. It's also more fun for players because you can reach the cap and then go do other things with your build. Note you only have to cap one side of each contest: the AC, the save DCs, the damage you can take in a round: so you can hit the epic boss, he does make his saves, and he will live a few rounds no matter what.

[*] Distinct scale switching. 3e works in seconds, minutes, hours, and it's not good. No one wants a spell that lasts 17 minutes, or even 17 hours when your actions are measured in 6-second or 2-minute increments depending on if you take-20. In BD&D, there's 10-second rounds for combat, and 10-minute turns for everything else. Your non-combat spells all just last some small number of turns and combat is 1 turn no matter how long it took. Search a room? 1 turn. Functional.

Then when you go outdoors and walk the wilderness, there's another scale of days. So travel spells and rations and outdoor tracking and encounter chances and whatnot are measured in days. If you do any dungeon crawling, it takes 1 day, no matter how long it took.

Then when you want to fiefdom manage, it's in months, so large-scale magic lasts some small numbers of months, and it's a ritual thing where you only cast one a month. And if you go on an adventure then that's your contribution for the month done no matter how long it took. Army formation and positioning is a month thing, forced march and multiple battle penalties fit here. Item creation fits here.

You can even have a year-scale for a long winter and typhoons and other rare campaign-changing events like dragon-flights or declarations of war, and then a generation-scale for population dynamics and things like "is there an open hell mouth" or whatever. Magic that effects those should work on those scales, so the Druid magic that saves the harvest is a year-scale diplomacy function, that you make by establishing a sacred garden in the nearest town, or whatever else normally functions at that time scale.

[*] Go up a level to try again. If you fail to pick the lock, find another fucking solution, figure it out. 3e's skill-retry mechanic is bad, and the take-20 hack on it is worse. There's cool stories where you can slowly keep trying, like the old guy still trying to open the puzzle box after years of coming back to it, and ones where the apprentice gets it first time despite being a useless newb, D&D should support that. But also not use it for breaking open doors like Conan.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Completely unsurprisingly for someone who is having a "who can be more wrong" competition with a broken clock, Tussock is mostly wrong:

9 alignment teams was shitty shit. There is nothing better about having genocide be a thing the party does, and there is nothing good about declaring that lawful and choatic people can't work together.

Team Based Init is good for some things and bad for others. On average, I'd say it is neutral.

+X Weapons to hit is objectively super shit compared to weapon type DR, this was actually a specific change from 3.0 to 3.5 that is better.

XP for treasure is monstrously bad. It creates problems when PCs begin using "cheats" to get money even when you don't have a magic item shop, and prevents you from freely letting your PCs have a huge dragon horde to upgrade their base and logisitics.

Hard caps on stacks are fucking terrible, all they really do is suggest that you should focus on finding the optimal path to the cap, which isn't an appreciably different practice than boosting your stats in 3e, but also adds in scaling problems, in that you can't scale the game past a certain point.

Also it does not have any of the effects Tussock claims, since you can't even fucking scale your DCs, he gets to scale his saves until he auto fucking wins. And you actually did create both sides of the scale instead of just one, you would just end up with them capping with both people at some number, and you would be right back at the math numbers you wanted in 3e, except that level 13 characters would be basically as powerful as 20th level, and you are running into the 5e problem.

God fucking no. Aside from the verisimilitude problems of scale switching at all (hey remember how fireballs are inexplicably way bigger when you are outside) Every single problem tussock calls out still exists in the scale switching system, but goes away no matter what system you use, if you just write durations to not be shit, which you can totally do with a spell redesign (IE, buffs should either last, lots of days, all day, one fight, one fight unless your opponent tries to avoid them, and that isn't accomplished by scale switching, that is accomplished by writing buff durations non-stupid).

3e's retry rules are just objectively better than fucking fuck off for rolling low rules. I certainly wouldn't mind if a lot less things were just yes/no without rolls, but to the extent that you think you should be rolling lockpicking at fucking all, let me assure you that as a person who can pick some locks, there is absofuckinglutely a difference between trying for a minute and trying for 10 minutes. If you are willing to commit ten minutes to picking a lock, you may not be able to pick every lock, but it vastly expands what you can pick.

There is no good reason to deny retries for every skill. I want my skills to say whether they can be retried, because that is going to be better than an all or nothing approach.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Mechalich wrote:One of the problems with randomly generated treasure is that is generates items that should not exist. Particularly, when dealing with combinations of weapon and armor types and abilities, rolling randomly leads to the production of large numbers of items that are so inefficient and inferior compared more common variants that it is difficult to generate a fluff reason for why someone expended the resources necessary to produce the darned things. This problem becomes worse and worse with rulebook bloat and you start generating things that are only of any use to some class variant that isn't being used in the campaign world at all.
Unlike the players, people in the world have no idea what happens when they pump mana into a sword while boiling it in basilisk tears. The players don't actually know what happens either, but they are given a cost/output equation to work with. People in the world don't have that, and are actually doing magical stuff in some sort of weird quasi-engineering sense to make these things.

Just wanted to comment that's awesome. Screw all that "magic is monolithic cold calculist unchangeable and 100% preditactable" noise.
Last edited by maglag on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

FrankTrollman wrote:When Robert E. Howard wrote Conan stories, he didn't much care about continuity. There are some stories where Conan struggles to beat a wolf and there are some stories where Conan struggles to rape a frost giant, and there was never any attempt to connect those dots.
Uh, yeah, you omitted the facts that in the latter's episode Conan was being delirious, the mind-fucking ice spirit that you call a "frost giant" for no honest reason was human-sized, and most of the events clearly only happened in Conan's brain, because people who tracked him did not find any evidence of a fight, much less a fight with giants.

However, I, accidentally, just re-read most of Howard's Conan stories this month. And there is very little, if any, power differences in them. Sure, old Conan is more experienced, he might be argued to have raised his Melee from about 3 to 5, or something, but at no point his power level radically jumps. Variations in the precise number of mooks he can dispatch before going down or being forced to run away are well within the range that can be explained by luck on the dice and mook quality.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Kaelik wrote: God fucking no. Aside from the verisimilitude problems of scale switching at all (hey remember how fireballs are inexplicably way bigger when you are outside) Every single problem tussock calls out still exists in the scale switching system, but goes away no matter what system you use, if you just write durations to not be shit, which you can totally do with a spell redesign (IE, buffs should either last, lots of days, all day, one fight, one fight unless your opponent tries to avoid them, and that isn't accomplished by scale switching, that is accomplished by writing buff durations non-stupid).
Something like this?

Instantaneous: Self-explanatory.
1 round: The effect or condition ends right before the beginning of a character’s (usually the one who used the effect in question) next turn.
Combat: The effect or condition ends as soon the current combat is finished and characters get even a brief respite from immediate danger to catch their breath. Effects with this duration can be used immediately before initiating a combat by characters who plan to do so and know the position of their opponents. They wear off before any violence might start if used “just in case” when entering an area or situation that is merely potentially dangerous.
Episode: The effect or condition lasts long enough to fight a battle or assault a small dungeon complex. If precise time measurement is necessary, it lasts for about an hour. Unlike effects with the combat duration, these effects can be freely used as pre-buffs.
Day: Durations of daily effects expire after the sun rises or sets twice after their activation.
Concentration: The effect persists as long as its caster concentrates on it.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

FatR wrote:
Kaelik wrote: God fucking no. Aside from the verisimilitude problems of scale switching at all (hey remember how fireballs are inexplicably way bigger when you are outside) Every single problem tussock calls out still exists in the scale switching system, but goes away no matter what system you use, if you just write durations to not be shit, which you can totally do with a spell redesign (IE, buffs should either last, lots of days, all day, one fight, one fight unless your opponent tries to avoid them, and that isn't accomplished by scale switching, that is accomplished by writing buff durations non-stupid).
Something like this?

Instantaneous: Self-explanatory.
1 round: The effect or condition ends right before the beginning of a character’s (usually the one who used the effect in question) next turn.
Combat: The effect or condition ends as soon the current combat is finished and characters get even a brief respite from immediate danger to catch their breath. Effects with this duration can be used immediately before initiating a combat by characters who plan to do so and know the position of their opponents. They wear off before any violence might start if used “just in case” when entering an area or situation that is merely potentially dangerous.
Episode: The effect or condition lasts long enough to fight a battle or assault a small dungeon complex. If precise time measurement is necessary, it lasts for about an hour. Unlike effects with the combat duration, these effects can be freely used as pre-buffs.
Day: Durations of daily effects expire after the sun rises or sets twice after their activation.
Concentration: The effect persists as long as its caster concentrates on it.
That is... a duration system... It's not... one that even hits all the goals I just said.

First off, the one hour version i0 substantially more than the "one fight" category but substantially less than the all day one, which would be their closest comparisons, and the combat one sort of defaults to "one fight" so you have nothing that meets the one combat that can be avoided duration.

Secondly, that is a super abstract system that doesn't fit in games that use concrete timing, which, even when it had stupid fluctuating times, D&D still was and is. (Well I guess, until 4e, but uh... I think we should probably avoid emulating any part of that as D&D.) So it seems completely inappropriate as a duration system for D&D.

Sunset/Sunrise could be a valid system, but one hour is just an hour, and episode is vague undefined, and combat is super vague undefined.