Spell Power sucks?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Spell Power sucks?

Post by User3 »

In 3.5, we saw many of the 3.0 Spell Focus benefits of PrC's and feats get converted to "Spell Power" benefits. Meaning, instead of a DC bonus to your spells, you get a bonus increase to your spellcaster level (for purposes of increasing range, damage dice, etc. - up to the legal limits of the spell).

Now that we have had time to absorb this re-emphasis, is Spell Power worth it?

Look for example at PrC's like Red Wizard and Shadow Adept.

Thanks!
User3
Prince

Re: Spell Power sucks?

Post by User3 »

Its only worth it if you plan on casting Blasphemy or Holy word (or Dictum or whatever) a lot.
Tae_Kwon_Dan
Journeyman

Post by Tae_Kwon_Dan »

I'd say even then it's worth it to take something else and just get a bunch of Orange Ioun stones.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Or a level of sacred exorcist and a crap tonne of Karma Beads (pending what the hell you think the Complete Divine domains for wizards rules are supposed to mean).

Getting your hands on a wad of spellcaster levels breaks the game fairly explosively, but in 3.5 it's so easy to get that there's no particular reason you would want to get them out of a class level.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

For Holy Word and Blasphemy, yes,

But for arcane spellcasters? I just don't see it. Perhaps for transmutation spells. Spell Power both extends their durations and makes them harder to dispel - one of the nice perks of Spell Power.

But I can't think of any "power mechanics" or combos to use with Spell Power.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Bran wrote:But I can't think of any "power mechanics" or combos to use with Spell Power.

Shapechange, Gate.

-Username17
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1092073181[/unixtime]]
Bran wrote:But I can't think of any "power mechanics" or combos to use with Spell Power.

Shapechange, Gate.

-Username17

That works pretty well even if you still cast them at caster level 17th (though maybe not a 9th, if you're an ur-priest)