It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Probably no milk products either.
I still remember how bad it was when i had to get my wisdom teeth operated out <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

I had a wisdom tooth pulled under local anesthetic that did not work. They kept hitting me with novocaine until the surgeon was, like, "um, chemically speaking there is no possible way any more of this is going to do anything that it's not already, and that's actually been true for a couple shots, now."

I didn't have the wherewithal to go find another surgeon who could do it under general when my gums were already open and the tooth was already cracked. They had to yank it out while I consciously strained every muscle in opposition to its neighbor so that none of them would be left vulnerable to some kind of medulla-inspired panic and carry me, unilaterally, out of the chair. I can't even conceptualize the sensation, and I have actual memories of it. It was so excruciating that I feel bad out of a sense of empathy to a momentary version of myself whose experience was so disassociated with the ordinary that I can't recognize him as having been me. It was... just... gross.

:(
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

This would be a good time to tell you not to pour whiskey into the holes, at least not until they heal.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Eikre wrote:I had a wisdom tooth pulled under local anesthetic that did not work.
That happened to me as well, only it was four teeth, two of which had to be sawed into four pieces; worst pain of my life. About a week ago, I got another tooth extracted and I was shocked at how effective functional anesthesia was.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I got more work done on various hobby projects in the week and a half I was whacked out on painkillers from my wisdom teeth removal than from any given year before or after.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i straight up refused to do 6 teeth (4 wisdom and 2 adjacent -.-) without lights out aneasthetics.
and i went 2 times rather than having all 6 done at the same day <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

And you guys have now effectively terrified me such that I will never go see my dentist. Thanks.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Prak wrote:And you guys have now effectively terrified me such that I will never go see my dentist. Thanks.
these are, hopefully, extreme edge cases.
in my case, for example, my wisdom teeth were pointing that way <= instead of /\, so the thin parts were under and through the thin parts of the teeth directly in front of 2 of them. on one side, i am missing a part of my jaw bone now, that is, about, the size of half of the upper pinkie finger part. And the tooth that was inside. I was told not to eat anything too solid for months because i could have broken it off at that point appearantly.
also, i have even more news to terrify you of dentists
my old dentist appearantly liked to go all out on teeth that had developed holes!
want to know how i know?
because the teeth are now slowly losing thier fillings and caving in into themselves. without me noticing anything, aside from sudden sharp edges in my mouth. it seems as if most, if not all, of my teeth that had work done by him, are functionally dead. no nerves in them that COULD hurt anymore.

fucker also on one ocassion managed to get the aneasthetics for me and my mother who was there at the same time mixed up.
i had to have a tooth pulled for a bracers thing and she only needed to have a hole cleaned and filled in. she could not feel her mouth for the rest of the day while i went up the walls from pain an hour later.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Yeah, they put me out because my wisdom teeth were all sideways and shit...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I actually really should see a dentist. I don't know if my wisdom teeth ever actually came in, but if they did, then they are the teeth in the back of my mouth that are slowly crumbling.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Prak wrote:I actually really should see a dentist. I don't know if my wisdom teeth ever actually came in, but if they did, then they are the teeth in the back of my mouth that are slowly crumbling.
If you can describe any of your teeth as "slowly crumbling," you should probably see a dentist, yes.
erik
King

Post by erik »

My wisdom teeth were pulled with only local numbing they bled lightly for ~30 minutes and then were fine. I think it was helped by that they came in straight and weren't causing any immediate problems (my dentist insisted they were too far back to clean so had to get yanked). It was more of a weird experience than a painful or traumatic one.

My wife's wisdom teeth were coming in less pleasantly and had hers pulled by the same dentist and she had gauze for a few hours to soak the wounds and then was okay.

I'd recommend just getting local if you can handle it. I think I have a pretty high pain tolerance though. When I was 3 and had all my ribs broken, that apparently wasn't enough to make me cry.

Now, worst pain in my life was when I had anesthetic injected into my nose before cauterizing a bleed that didn't want to stop. No cautery could have hurt as much as the needle inside my schnoz. I took it like a champ but my body was trembling uncontrollably for at least 30 minutes afterward even as I walked to my car to drive home. If there's ever a next time I think I'll tell em just to skip the local.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I waited longer than I should have to have my wisdom teeth removed. There were no complications when they pulled all four, but they did put me mostly under with an IV. That was a very odd experience. I have some partial memories of it. Nothing of what was actually happening in my mouth or any pain, but just having my eyes open and seeing things moving that I know wouldn't be moving.

Apparently, I felt the need to tell the surgeon this. At least two times, he told me, very firmly, "Stop talking".
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Prak wrote:And you guys have now effectively terrified me such that I will never go see my dentist. Thanks.
For a less horrifying experience, I had all four pulled in one visit with just local anesthetic. They only had to cut two of them in half, if I recall, and I drove myself home afterwards.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

For the best possible experience, I was put under with nitrous oxide, and I remember counting down from ten to eight, and then being in the car on the way home.

I did have 2 dry sockets across 4 teeth, but that's just who I am.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I got my wisdom teeth out after getting both nitrous oxide and Novocain. The only real pain I felt was from when I absentmindedly fell asleep on one side. That pain was the worst I've ever felt, however.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Is it supposed to hurt worse on the third day? Because this shit isn't getting better. I've been rinsing my jaw holes out after I eat and using the moutwash they gave me twice a day, been taking the anitbiotics and stuff.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Wounds aren't exactly comfortable as they're healing - there's a lot of shit going on in your mouth right now, and your body isn't happy about any of it. Unusual pain a couple days after surgery is a possible sign of dry socket, but if the pain is mild enough that you have to ask whether or not something has gone wrong, then you don't have dry socket. There is absolutely nothing ambiguous about that particular pain. So, yeah. The fact that you're here asking about it is actually a good sign that it's just routine post-surgery pain.

If the pain continues to escalate into a supernova of suffering, contact your dentist and inform them that your shit is fucked and that you want to be drugged into oblivion. But honestly you're probably fine. Don't go poking around in the wounds with your tongue or your fingers and continue following your dentist's instructions.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

At day three, the painkillers from the initial operation have completely worn off.
And the stuff you got to take home is probably not all that strong or they would not have given it to you to take home to begin with. And depending on how much you weight/how big you are less effective than for somebody smaller. I think in germany, the medical standard is a person of 176cm or something like that at about 75kg. Which means that people like me at 191cm and taller and 120kg and more simply need much more to be effected the same way as a smaller person would. Also, they probably have not given you that much painkillers to take home to begin with right? So, you are now using what? Over the counter stuff?
All in all, yeah, day 3 was worse than day 1 and 2 for me after the wisdom tooth debacles by a considerable margin, because i was clear enough in the head again to actually feel uncomfortable with the pain. And not sleeping basically the whole day and night because of the painkillers.

Much more important, at the first strange smell or taste you can't really identify and that other people don't notice get yourself to a doc to get checked for infections and STRONG antibiotics immediately.

My surgeon chewed me out something fierce when i came back for a check up a week later and it had gotten infected. I had never had an infection anywhere before, so i did not recognize smell and taste as bad, especially after the medicine tasting disgusting for days as well.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Count Arioch the 28th
King

I'm currently on penicillin, ibuprofen, and hydrocodone. The hydrocodone makes me feel weird but the ibuprofen doesn't seem to do much.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

A trick from my doc (after I puked from oxy) after surgery was two ibuprofen + 1 acetaminophen - she was worried about me taking too much ibuprofen. I was hesitant to try it since acetaminophen usually does nothing for me, but that combination was magical.

I hope you feel better soon.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

I like the sauce, and so would never take acetaminophen, but it is commonly part of combination painkillers such as Vicodin and Lortab due to synergistic effects.

I cut out three of my own third molars. They were crowding the other teeth, didn't come in horizontally, and I had a recent x ray on an unrelated matter showing the roots were a good distance from the inferior alveolar canal, so I reckoned I'd save a few hundred bucks.

The worst pain I ever had was from pleurisy. Several days of being unable to sleep due to only tolerating the most shallow of breaths leads to some screwy thoughs.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I can't stress enough how inescapable Prince's death is if you live in the Twin Cities.
bears fall, everyone dies
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »