Election 2016

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Going back to how everything infected slut princess says is wrong:
infected slut princess wrote:
Also, TARP didn't make any money for the government. Go learn some accounting and finance you retarded retard. You probably don't even know how to use a financial calculator LOL.
US Ends TARP with $15.3Billion Profit.

Though to the point that if he deliberately says something that is true to pretend that we all must think it is false (and thus proving that we're idiots) I would contend that if he doesn't understand WHY it is true, it still counts as false.

In real life, when I say something 'sucks', I usually specify 'in a bad way'. Because actual sucking seems like a pretty good thing to me under a range of circumstances.
Last edited by deaddmwalking on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

LOL at the guy saying France did pretty good in the Great Depression.
DSFatticus wrote: It's almost like bank runs are not things that happen because LOLWHYNOT, and are instead a painful yet preventable consequence of some other kind of economic shock. Sort of like how bleeding to death is not a thing that happens because LOLWHYNOT, and instead a painful yet preventable consequence of some other kind of injury. Clearly if you have been in a car accident and are gushing blood from a chest wound, at no point should the doctor recommend a blood transfusion. How the hell is a blood tranfusion supposed to undo a car accident? That's absurd. Doctors are so stupid.
Yeah that's all quite interesting but remember, you said:
we tried letting the banks fail. That fantastic idea would later be called the Great Depression.
Of course we are interested in the cause of the bank failures as a separate issue from the action or inaction that aggravated or improved the bank failure situation. "Why did the patient die?" is an interesting question, and "Car accident," "gushing chest wound," and "did not get transfusion" are all interesting parts of that answer.

Certainly something caused the chest wound, and something caused the banks to fail. ("falling valuations of stocks" -- hmm, what caused that? What caused the valuations to get so high in the first place, such that they would fall so dramatically?).

Anyway, it's interesting that Canada had zero bank failures during the Great Depression, and yet it was hit harder as hard or harder than the US in terms of falling production and unemployment and the depression lasted just as long....

And it's interesting how in the US when they stopped letting banks fail, the depression continued for many more years...

It's also interesting that there were lots of bank failures in earlier depressions and panics, but none of those busts ever lasted as long at the Great Depression...

Basically, your cause-and-effect theories are pretty much completely retarded. You are like one of those Fake News Sites that Zuck is going to ban from Facebook. You should probably be banned from the internet.

Idiot of the day:
DSMatticus
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

infected slut princess wrote:LOL at the guy saying France did pretty good in the Great Depression.
Wait, why is ISP laughing at himself for being stupid? Oh wait, that's a different idiot. It's getting hard to keep track.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

infected slut princess wrote:He is a pro-Wall Street, pro-torture, and pro-corporatism. Also, he supported the NYPD's Muslim surveillance program (which Trump likes a lot) and he loves the PATRIOT Act.
Now name one way in which he is different from Barack Obama.
Nath
Master

Post by Nath »

maglag wrote:Except for, you know, Russia.
And China.
And France (dropped a bit but never went negative).
And a crapload of other countries.

But neither of those spoke english as their primary language, so of course their economies don't count for your "world" view.

Like when the Sovient Union collapsed and most of eastern's Europe's economy then went truly downhill, but english speakers didn't give a single fuck because they were all dirty communists, fuck them all, right?

Meanwhile back at my birth country neither the economy or the people have recovered from the artificial recession triggered by the USA's mass bank bailouts last decade. Thanks!
Considering he referred to Russia instead of USSR and to a French growth that was non-existent at the time, my guess it that the 1929 Great Depression and the 2008 Great Recession were mixed up here.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

deaddmwalking wrote:Going back to how everything infected slut princess says is wrong:
infected slut princess wrote:
Also, TARP didn't make any money for the government. Go learn some accounting and finance you retarded retard. You probably don't even know how to use a financial calculator LOL.
US Ends TARP with $15.3Billion Profit.

Though to the point that if he deliberately says something that is true to pretend that we all must think it is false (and thus proving that we're idiots) I would contend that if he doesn't understand WHY it is true, it still counts as false.

In real life, when I say something 'sucks', I usually specify 'in a bad way'. Because actual sucking seems like a pretty good thing to me under a range of circumstances.
Blah blah blah, some loser on TGDMB who likes actual sucking and doesn't understand accounting & finance and is likely making less than $50K per year (if they even have a job) citing an article written by another idiot who doesn't understand accounting and finance to prove TARP made money for the government.

Well here's just one problem with you and your dumb CNN source's retarded proposition.

Inflation, going by CPI, from Dec 2008 to Dec 2014 was about 12% (11.69%). Real return therefore on TARP was _negative_. So if you started with a $426B investment and end up with $441B over that time frame, you actually suck.

In finance, that's called a shitty investment, and you have accounting profits on paper but you still lost money.

And that's not even getting into the background behind how the government made those 'profits'. Hint: It's kind of like how some of Bernie Madoff's investors "made a profit" -- it was at the expense of other people.

DeadDMSucking, i hate to break it to you but you are a dumb ass.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Does ISP have like, a bunch of friends who are idiots but read TGD? Who is this performance art of incredibly bad insults even for?

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

It's all for you Kaelik.

Because you are my friend. And always will be.

Meanwhile...

CNN saying Trump and Romney to chat about possible Cabinet position.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/politics/ ... tings-abe/

That does NOT count as "draining teh swamp"!

Romney is a piece of dog shit.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

ISP actually surprised republican president not going to drain the swamp...

That was a foregone conclusion when they had R in front of their name. Republicans have always been pro swamp.

Billionaire with only lobbyist friends who has a history of corruption in business dealings wasn't going to break the trend.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Well, it's not exactly _surprising_ because I think both parties are largely "pro-swamp"... they're a bunch of alligators feeding off others.

But when you say you want to drain the swamp, then reports start flying around that you're looking at people like John Bolton for Secretary of State or Mitt Romney for Secretary of Whatever-the-Fuck, it just gives an interesting example of the general rule "politicians are filthy liars." But it's especially relevant in the case of Trump since he is the "anti-establishment guy" -- just how "anti-establishment" will he be in the end? Realistically, the "Trump Revolution" probably ended the day after he was elected.

It's like when Obama said he would close Gitmo or Bush II said he would have a "humble foreign policy." You hope for the best, but expect they are full of shit, and then point out when their actions disagree with stated goals.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

ISP Logic:

Republicans are the swamp. Republicans always lie.

Therefore: All politicians are liars, and all politicians are pro-swamp.

Yep, that's the logic that convinced a bunch of idiots to vote for Trump and the Republican House because they didn't like the last 6 years of the Republican House.

EDIT: But don't worry ISP, I know you are actually a republican shill just lying in an attempt to set up blame for evil bad Democrats when the Republicans inevitably do what they always do and fuck everything up.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I think it's interesting the way ISP tries to dismiss people. I don't feel the need to brag about my financial position, but it is very secure. I personally earn more than $50k annually (I have a decidedly white collar job in the financial sector) and I earn less than my wife who is a professor at the flagship university in our state. Our household income is over $100k annually. I think we could manage our finances better. My wife was in school for a long time and I had to change careers in my 30s because we relocated for her job, so I accepted some financial setbacks and we got a relatively late start. Personally I don't think it is particularly commendable that we have achieved professional success because we are heavily advantaged (being white, educated, and growing up in generally middle class families)

Since you brought it up, why would my financial status be relevant to a link to CNNMoney?

You have also dismissed the author as an idiot who does not understand accounting or finance, despite that beingan expectation of their job. Please share your credentials as a financial expert with particular emphasis on government accounting .

Since it is relevant, you can also explain why earning 2% interest is worse than earning no interest (maintaining your principal) when the inflation rate is 3%.
-This space intentionally left blank
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Poor Kaelik, struggling to get by in a world where he is compelled to fap to fugly Hillary Clinton every night and thinks Democrats are only awesome and truthful and Republicans are bad and lie all the time... when the correct position is that fapping to Hillary is disgusting and Democrats and Republicans are both parties full of shitty assholes. The cognitive dissonance of poor Kaelik must cause pain. We should pity the Kaelik.

I mean, Kaelik is obviously a hardcore fucking shill if he disagrees with the proposition that "politicians are filthy liars" in general. "Only the party for which I am not a shill lies" is an amazingly stupid and naive position to take and can only be held by someone who is so fucking pathetic that he will cheer for "his team" no matter how shitty and deceitful.

Republican and Democrat parties are both shit. Anyone who disagrees is full of shit.

I don't even live in the US so I have no commitment to either party -- I mostly just look at foreign policy, and clearly Republicans and Democrats are both terrible in that area. Personally I'd rather have Obama Term III than Trump or Clinton.

Now are we going to have fun hating Trump together or are you going to be a whiny bitchy virgin loser some more?
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

infected slut princess wrote: Now are we going to have fun hating Trump together or are you going to be a whiny bitchy virgin loser some more?
No. Because even if we can all agree that Trump is a terrible being, you're wrong about everything and I'm convinced that any position you hold that is factually correct has been arrived at based on a tower of mistakes. It matters why you disagree with him, not that you do.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

This exchange really just amazes me that there are still people willing to feed ISP more than once in a blue moon.

You used to be get him to go on bizarre libertarian rants, but those never went particularly well for him, so now he just drops his talking points then backs down at the first sign he'll be dragged into another argument and says stupid trolly shit instead. You can try to corner him into defending one of his talking points, I guess, but why? It'd be like picking a fight with someone who threatens to piss themself in self-defense. Once they actually do it, you should probably just stop, because the alternative is touching someone covered in urine. Is it really worth it? Do you want the fight that badly? Aren't they humiliated enough already? He's a grown man (probably?) who's fallen back on "virgin" as his unironic go-to for insults. Shit's already over, even if he doesn't realize it - which is probably something of a mercy, to be honest. The day ISP achieves self-awareness is the day he cringes so hard he disappears up his own asshole.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

ISP is clearly shit posting and not trying to generate any kind of real discussion. We got any rules against that or anything lying around? The lack of content in ISP's posts is actually kind of annoying.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

IME, Den shitposting has to be pretty aggressive or prolonged before notice is taken by any authority. It's the price of having such an open discussion space. Just put him on ignore and don't feed.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I also wouldn't fault fbmf if I discovered he had decided "Well, in light of the recent election, I'm taking a break from paying attention to the shitstorm in the Den politics thread. In fact, I'm going to consult my (liquor) cabinet for a bit."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

So, Teump wants people from certain Muslim countries being registered before entering the US, similar to a proposed (and failed) attempt in 2001.

I'm curious what (reasonable) difference his supported see between this and registering guns.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

RobbyPants wrote:So, Teump wants people from certain Muslim countries being registered before entering the US, similar to a proposed (and failed) attempt in 2001.

I'm curious what (reasonable) difference his supported see between this and registering guns.
The same difference Scalia saw between Federal Drug laws and interstate commerce and Federal Gun laws and interstate commerce:

GUNS GOOD. MUSLIMS BAD!

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Kaelik wrote: GUNS GOOD. MUSLIMS BAD!
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Yeah, I figured that's all it was. That, and a Muslim registry won't directly affect Trump supporters, so they're fine with it.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Meanwhile:

In the continuing tradition of totally not at all racist Trump cabinet picks, Jeff Sessions, for AG, is so fucking racist that a Republican Senate that was in the middle of filibustering Martin Luther King Holiday in 1986 decided they couldn't consent to him as Federal Judge because:

1) Decried Voting Rights Act at every turn.
2) Said he used to like the KKK, till he found out they smoke pot.
3) Called Black Lawyer Boy.
4) This illuminating exchange:

"The prosecutor, J. Gerald Hebert, said he had heard a shocking story: A federal judge had called a prominent white lawyer “a disgrace to his race” for representing black clients.

“Well,” Mr. Sessions replied, according to Mr. Hebert, “maybe he is.”"

Best current joke about how incredibly fucked up this all is:

Trump FAQ:

Q: Vote for me Black People, what do you have to lose?
A: A Department of Justice interesting in civil rights or voting rights.

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

RobbyPants wrote:So, Teump wants people from certain Muslim countries being registered before entering the US, similar to a proposed (and failed) attempt in 2001.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Muslims are people so they could kill people.

Of course, I don't understand why they don't want to increase the scrutiny involved in background checks before purchasing firearms for all other people, but I'm sure they must think they have one.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

I can't understand why people can't grasp that there's a fundamental difference between guns in cities and guns in rural areas.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci