Tomb of Xagyg: Solo Dungeon & Dragons Adventure

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

The corridor continues on. About thirty feet north of the door, Gorman hears a soft "click" - and is then suddenly aware of a feeling of weightlessness. He stares down to see himself standing over the empty air of a trap door. Urlik is holding the dwarf up by the scruff of his neck.

"Looks like that goes down a couple levels." The troll says. "So...want I should toss you across and we keep going, or turn around and go another way?"
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Nobody tosses a dwarf.

I suggest a second referendum on that going left option.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I'd rather go somewhere else, but I can't be bothered to find out what other options we still have, so let's go down the narrow tunnel.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The narrow side-passage ends at a door.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Peek through.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The door opens to a larger room - still square, but 40 feet on each side. Holding the flickering torch high, Gorman can see five exits - one on the opposite wall (North), one on the left wall (West), one on the right wall (East), and two door on the same wall (South).

Near the southern door are two corpses of Men, who have died by violence only over a week or so ago, their armor and weapons stripped from them. The stench of death is is heavy in the confined space...and the rats have been at them. Bone already shows through where the meat has been gnawed away.

Gorman recognizes this as Room #2 - he is peeking through a secret door.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

So we're all tapped out on this floor apart from one corridor and a trap-corridor, and a trap-room, right? And a giant weasel room? Maybe we should go downstairs.

And how much xp are we at right now, anyway? We still have that one unlooted vase, so we should start considering that when we're close to leveling.
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Wed May 29, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

<checks notes> Unexplored areas include:

- Room 6 south door
- Room 5 (pit trap)
- north corridor from room 1 (strong smell of gas)
- south corridor from room 9
- corridor past trap door in corridor accessed by the western door in Room 2
- Northeast corridor leading from room 4

...really need to update the map.

[/edit]Re: XP, it's based on loot, and the current total is in Gorman's profile.
Last edited by Ancient History on Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Room 6 south door, unless that was the weasel room, in which case let's go downstairs. But I'll get behind a vote for one of the corridors to avoid a tie.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Nah, that's the door east of Room 1

In favor of the unexplored door in room 6
Last edited by Trill on Wed May 29, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Passing south from Room 2, through Room 3, on into Room 6, Gorman opens the southern door...and it reveals a corridor heading south.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

onwards, I say
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

South
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Room 13
The corridor ends in a chamber, some 30 feet square. It is some sort of tomb. Resting on a slab in the center of the room is a well-preserved corpse, the faded finery of its garments showing that in life it was a figure of wealth or power. There are three urns at its feet, with odd openings - one a familiar slot sized for coins, a second like a cross, and a third like a triangle. On its chest, clasped between its hands, is a very finely-made sword.

There are three other exits, to the East, South, and West.
Last edited by Ancient History on Thu May 30, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I'm thinking the smart thing to do would be to hook a loop on the end of a rope or something to the sword and pull it away from outside the room.

Failing that, the east door would be left.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Thaluikhain wrote:I'm thinking the smart thing to do would be to hook a loop on the end of a rope or something to the sword and pull it away from outside the room.

Failing that, the east door would be left.
This, except also stealing the vase full (?) of coins.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Gorman gestures carelessly towards Urlik, and then the corpse. "well, I promised you more food. Dig in, but don't eat anything that looks valuable."

(make the troll trigger this trap/start fighting the undead.)
Ancient History
Serious Badass

...can we get some consistency? At least two votes for one action?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I'm with Iduno, who is with Thal.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Also in favor of the rope use
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Standing at the Entrance to Room 13 (note: there is no door)

Handing the torch to Urlik, Gorman carefully ties a loop at the end of the loop...a workable lariat, as any good dwarfscout learned to tie to deal with mine ponies...and twirling it once, twice around his head, lets fly. The loop of rope falls over the face of the corpse - Gorman had overshot on purpose...and dragging it slowly back, the loop caught on the grip of the sword, sliding down to the hilt. Now Gorman pulled in earnest, hoping to pull the sword from the dead man's grasp...

...and it is with a surprise that the corpse sits bolt upright, still gripping the sword by its scabbard, its sunken eyelids opening to reveal the black depths of a long-empty skull, mouth opening to emit a wordless, inhuman scream. It is nothing to do with the dessicated lungs inside the leathery chest, it is the sound of tortured air forced through unwilling vents. Like a damned soul trying to remember how to scream...
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Charge it!
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Half a vote for explaining to the undead monster that the tomb complex has been overrun by monsters that aren't paying rent.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

...can we get a tiebreaker?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Only half a vote from me, so if nobody else votes, go with SlyJohnny's idea.