OSSR: The Genius Guides to Horrifically Overpowered Feats

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

WiserOdin032402
Master

Post by WiserOdin032402 »

jt wrote:I realized that it's easier for me to understand this ridiculous martial/magical disparity if I think of RPGs from the standpoint of self-insert fantasy. There's a certain amount of talent you can imagine yourself having if you cared enough to train, but even with the unwarranted self-aggrandizement that comes with self-insert fantasies I can't imagine actually physically jumping a hundred feet or parrying a bullet with a sword. But magic isn't grounded in any real-world rules and just has the vague suggestion that having strong intuitive reasoning helps, and everyone thinks they're good at that, so of course I imagine that I'm the bestest wizard ever.

It also helps to imagine being innumerate.

Also one of my high school friends was a skinny guy who got his exercise by practicing kung fu forms while dual-wielding claymores. So I have to discard that bit of life experience to understand why Monkey Grip is so "broken."
The thing is that most of the people writing this stuff don't have the experience of doing most of that historical melee or ranged combat game. The other problem is, of course, that knowing too much about it leads to a level of anti-abstraction that grinds the game to a halt. Theoretically speaking there's a happy medium between 'Abstracted martial combat that eats dicks' and 'hyper granular turbo HEMA murderfest' but uh...I'm not really the guy you should go to for that information (Though really if Strength makes you better at hitting things then you should clearly get strength to AC because parrying is just hitting someone's weapon but that gets into a whole other thing of 'then why don't you get BAB to AC' which then means we'll be here all night.)
Longes wrote:My favorite combination is Cyberpunk + Lovecraftian Horror. Because it is really easy to portray megacorporations as eldritch entities: they exist for nothing but generation of profit for the good of no one but the corporation itself, they speak through interchangeable prophets-CEOs, send their cultists-wageslaves to do their dark bidding, and slowly and uncaringly grind life after life that ends in their path, not caring because they are far removed from human morality.
DSMatticus wrote:Poe's law is fucking dead. Satire is truth and truth is satire. Reality is being performed in front of a live studio audience and they're fucking hating it. I'm having Cats flashbacks except now the cats have always been at war with Eurasia. What the fuck is even real? Am I real? Is Obama real? Am I Obama? I don't fucking know, man.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

WiserOdin wrote:why don't you get BAB to AC
Because then we couldn't sell you as many rings and pieces of clothing and such.