*D&D 4ed*

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:Though honestly this is only good in a select rare circumstance where:

-you're fighting one monster
-You have sufficient room to keep falling back without blocking your line of sight.

So that pretty much means it's only good when you're fighting a solo monster outdoors, or maybe after you've killed one of a pair of elites.
Sorry, but I completely fail to understand that - party enters place, enemies show up, party fires and retreats if they approach, directly backwards (to where presumably there wasn't any enemy - aside from stealth-based, who tended to trump kiting anyway).
baduin wrote:Finally, I don't agree that D&D 4e is constructed according to Exception-based design. This was 3e. Now we have Keyword based design, somewhat similar to Magic the Gathering.
AFAIK, "having a bunch of cards with text written on it" is both the very height of EBD and effectively what 4E does.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

A party could enter, fire, and backtrack. However, the enemy side can just as easily stay inside where it's safe and wait beside the door; as they're not required to leave to win the encounter (players being the aggressor).
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

baduin wrote: Finally, I don't agree that D&D 4e is constructed according to Exception-based design. This was 3e. Now we have Keyword based design, somewhat similar to Magic the Gathering.
I happen to prefer keyword design as it resembles computer code very closely.
The interactions between rules are predictable and save space in writing.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

FrankTrollman wrote:By and large they don't even use their dailies and encounter powers because they are shit.
When I saw Disintegrate, I was very sad. 5d10+Int does not deserve such a title, as that isn't disintegrating anything. Not at that level, probably not 15 fucking levels ago when you were fighting level 4 monsters.

I checked a random level 19 (Disintegrate's level) solo - as that's what Daily powers are supposed to be used on. The Beholder Eye Tyrant had 900 hit points.

So at level 19, you have an Int of 25. Your average damage is 32.5 and that is a daily power. That is also what we call shit.

At least they get Narcotic Web though.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

You just don't understand! The wizard's a controller, not a striker!
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Koumei wrote:When I saw Disintegrate, I was very sad. 5d10+Int does not deserve such a title, as that isn't disintegrating anything. Not at that level, probably not 15 fucking levels ago when you were fighting level 4 monsters.

I checked a random level 19 (Disintegrate's level) solo - as that's what Daily powers are supposed to be used on. The Beholder Eye Tyrant had 900 hit points.

So at level 19, you have an Int of 25. Your average damage is 32.5 and that is a daily power. That is also what we call shit.

Good God...disintegrate is a measly 5d10+Int? I am in awe of the sheer, appalling lameness of that. My Lame-O-Meter just broke.

What the hell is the deal with micro-damage + macro-hp? Rocket tag was an issue, true, but this...this...

...You do realize, it would take an army of wizards around thirty fvcking rounds to kill the damn beholder? That's assuming they all use disin - excuse me, mildly irritate every round.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Talisman wrote:
Koumei wrote:When I saw Disintegrate, I was very sad. 5d10+Int does not deserve such a title, as that isn't disintegrating anything. Not at that level, probably not 15 fucking levels ago when you were fighting level 4 monsters.

Good God...disintegrate is a measly 5d10+Int? I am in awe of the sheer, appalling lameness of that. My Lame-O-Meter just broke.

What the hell is the deal with micro-damage + macro-hp? Rocket tag was an issue, true, but this...this...

...You do realize, it would take an army of wizards around thirty fvcking rounds to kill the damn beholder? That's assuming they all use disin - excuse me, mildly irritate every round.
No...No...wait... *checks math*

They'd take 28 rounds with that damage!
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Oh...silly me.
That's much better, then. Never mind. Carry on.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Well, probably more like 25-26 rounds, since one or more of them will get a Crit.

But double that to 50 rounds, because you'll miss about half the time against a level-appropriate enemy.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Good sirs and madams, I am indeed severely appalled but this travesty of a Wizard.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

At least it prevents the concern about any single entity being able to rewrite the landscape, because once you get an army's attention, the only thing that can survive is something with a gigantic damage aura (both size and damage).
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

virgileso wrote:At least it prevents the concern about any single entity being able to rewrite the landscape, because once you get an army's attention, the only thing that can survive is something with a gigantic damage aura (both size and damage).
That leads to a problem though, as suddenly D&D land is utterly inverted. When the Tarrasque shows up, you don't want a party of heroes- you seriously want 10,000 archers.

Though... as written, I seriously don't know that the tarrasque is actually killable. 1,420 hit points, AC 43 and Resist 10 (all), no matter what you throw at him you really aren't doing shit. The entire combat seems an exercise in hoping for the absurd crits you can get at that level (max weapon + 15 + magic item crits (5d6 to 5d12) + plus the enhance crit feat and a high crit weapon), And of course, its only doing about 4d12 +32 a round.

And the less said about Orcus, the better. Despite the giant hard-on they seem to have for him, he makes me sad. This is the big monster in the book, level 33 solo and the fucking Wand of Orcus does 3d12+12 damage, and inflicts the weakened status. Whee.
Though Touch of Death is wackily out of place in this edition(and...doesn't involve actual death). Enemy goes to 0 or bloodied (on a miss).
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

virgileso wrote:At least it prevents the concern about any single entity being able to rewrite the landscape, because once you get an army's attention, the only thing that can survive is something with a gigantic damage aura (both size and damage).
The Wizard could barely mow the lawn with the damn spell. It feels like they wanted to simulate Dragon Quest battles except with smaller numbers and more shoving.
Voss wrote: Though Touch of Death is wackily out of place in this edition(and...doesn't involve actual death). Enemy goes to 0 or bloodied (on a miss).
So, more like Touch of Severe Weakening.
Last edited by Leress on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

More like a KO! shot from a fightin' game.

Though 4e overall reminds me more of GW's Advanced Heroquest, but with fewer options.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

virgileso wrote:A party could enter, fire, and backtrack. However, the enemy side can just as easily stay inside where it's safe and wait beside the door; as they're not required to leave to win the encounter (players being the aggressor).
Yup, pretty much the monster sits around a corner and waits for you to come into the dungeon. The PCs can retreat, but that really does them little good.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

In which case, using tactics is pretty much an auto-lose. What fun!

No interesting combat options, and tactics automatically fuck the game up. Yeah, great.
Last edited by Voss on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
rapa-nui
Journeyman

Post by rapa-nui »

A lot of the stuff being posted is still in the theoretical realm though. It's GOOD theory, but sometimes actual play helps sort the BS from the real deal.

I'm signed up for a campaign starting at 1st level soon. Playing a Warlock. Anyone else bothering to try and squeeze some fun out of the lame ass rules?

Also, imagine you could only have 3 House Rules before starting... what would they be? For me, I think it would be:

1. Cut down the Solo's saves and HP.
2. Nerf that stupid Orb combo, and give the wizard some more (non-broken) shit to make up for that loss.
3. ???
To the scientist there is the joy in pursuing truth which nearly counteracts the depressing revelations of truth. ~HP Lovecraft
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

I don't think the monster can afford to just sit around. If it lets you retreat and catch your breath for 5 minutes, your encounter powers are back on line, and you can charge back in, unleash those, and run away again. The monster can't just sit there.

Note also that while Wizards hand out irrelevant damage at high levels, so does everyone else. You're seriously supposed to sit there and throw down minor status conditions (Daze! Stun! Immobilize! Weaken!) round after round so that you can slowly chip away at the monsters with mostly just your at-will attacks.

Or the Wizard can use Sleep, give the Eye Tyrant a -7 to save (or more, depending), and everyone can CdG with their high damage Daily and Encounter powers. That'll still take like 3-4 rounds (by which time it's woken up), but hopefully people can throw in some Stuns or Dazes and you can finish it off.

Edit: the game should work fine at low levels, according to everyone on the internet who has posted about their IRL games (doesn't count for all that much, but still). Cut down on HP for the monsters at higher levels, and fix skill challenges somehow.

If you want to boost Wizards, make more of their 1-round duration stuff into "save ends".
Last edited by Jacob_Orlove on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Your very second house rule would be to hit the wizard with a nerf bat? Seriously? You really can't think of anything at all more productive than that(besides cutting down on the solo-monster battle time)?
rapa-nui
Journeyman

Post by rapa-nui »

Nope, no idea. All I know is that that one power is way too obvious and probably overpowered against anything that isn't a solo. I also know that Wizards could stand a bit of a boost in other areas, but frankly, I'm too rules-naive at the moment to try and come up with anything remotely balanced.

Familiars might be a start, I suppose.
To the scientist there is the joy in pursuing truth which nearly counteracts the depressing revelations of truth. ~HP Lovecraft
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

rapa-nui wrote: Also, imagine you could only have 3 House Rules before starting... what would they be?
1. Replace with 3E
2. ???
3. Profit
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

rapa-nui wrote:Also, imagine you could only have 3 House Rules before starting... what would they be? For me, I think it would be:
Its easy to gentleman's agreement things out of the game. Its not really possible to do the reverse. I'd play the Descent: Journeys in the Dark boardgame as a houserule until someone rewrites the 4e classes to do interesting things.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Jacob_Orlove wrote: If you want to boost Wizards, make more of their 1-round duration stuff into "save ends".
That's a good fix right there. Wow, and here I assumed that was default for Wizards.
rapa-nui
Journeyman

Post by rapa-nui »

Draco_Argentum wrote:
rapa-nui wrote:Also, imagine you could only have 3 House Rules before starting... what would they be? For me, I think it would be:
Its easy to gentleman's agreement things out of the game. Its not really possible to do the reverse. I'd play the Descent: Journeys in the Dark boardgame as a houserule until someone rewrites the 4e classes to do interesting things.
Well, I wanna give the game a shot, despite all of its (apparent) shortcomings. I don't feel right bitchin' and moanin' about a system without actually having gone through the painful motions of watching it fail to deliver.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I don't need to actually PLAY Hello Kitty Online to know its not my kind of time waster. A quick once over is more than enough to identify the reasons.

And that's why I dislike them whole "don't knock it 'till you try it" mob. Because its really a stupid thing to say and even stupider to actually do when you think about it.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.