[Let's Play] Legendary Kingdoms: The Valley of Bones

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Re: [Let's Play] Legendary Kingdoms: The Valley of Bones

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Few mortals dare to face a dragon and live.
This will be a most formidable battle:
OpponentAttackDefHealth
Salt Dragon10(5+)4+40

Note: If ever the Salt Dragon ends a round without inflicting even a single point of Health damage on one of your party members, it will become enraged and breathe a blast of fire. When this happens, every party member loses 3 Health points, with no armour saves possible.
     If you win, turn to 841.
Oof, that breath effect means that we can't just super-armor-up and ignore this beast's (kind of anemic) attacks. In fact, we want to try to tailor our attack assignments to armor numbers that will likely let a little damage through in order to prevent the horrible breath proc.

Round 1:
Everyone attacks the Salt Dragon, 19d v 4+:4,4,2,3,1,1,6,3,5,6,5,4,2,2,6,3,5,2,6=10 damage, Salt Dragon at 30/40.
Salt Dragon attacks, 10d v 5+:5,2,5,6,4,6,4,1,2,1=4 damage, assigned to Tasha (armour 5:3,2,4,5,2) 2 damage prevented, Tasha at 7/9.

Round 2:
Everyone attacks the Salt Dragon, 19d v 4+:1,2,2,1,3,2,5,6,2,3,1,4,5,4,6,5,5,4,2=9 damage, Salt Dragon at 21/40.
Salt Dragon attacks, 10d v 5+:4,6,2,1,3,6,3,3,6,5=4 damage, assigned to Tasha (armour 5:2,1,5,3,2) 1 damage prevented, Tasha at 4/9.

Round 3:
Everyone attacks the Salt Dragon, 19d v 4+:4,3,5,5,4,4,1,4,1,3,3,4,3,5,2,6,6,6=11 damage, Salt Dragon at 10/40.
Salt Dragon attacks, 10d v 5+:1,1,5,3,1,1,6,6,4,4=3 damage, assigned to Akihiro (armour 3:2,4,3) 1 damage prevented, Akihiro at 6/8.

Round 4:
I'm going to have Ti'quon hold until last in case he needs to cast a spell to finish this...
Everyone but Ti'quon attacks the Salt Dragon, 17d v 4+:3,3,3,1,4,6,5,4,6,4,5,5,2,5,2,3,4=10 damage, Salt Dragon defeated!

VICTORYYY!

You drop to your knees in exhaustion. The battle is won and you are triumphant. Feel free to take the dragon head as a memento of your glorious struggle. You eagerly sift through the dragon’s treasure. Although much of it is merely old bones, you still manage to find 1000 silver coins, a glittering necklace (Charisma +2), and a steel longsword (Fighting +2).
     This was a mighty battle. Choose a party member and roll two dice. If the result is higher than their Fighting skill, raise their Fighting skill by one point. Gain the code A27.
     Peering deeper into the chamber you can make out where the dragon came from. It has dug a tunnel under the mountains, that looks like it is so long it might go all the way to Drakehallow in the north. If you wish to follow this tunnel turn to Drakehallow 33.
     If you dare not enter that strange land (or do not have the book), you must return to the mine lift at 135.
That book is still unpublished, so I guess we don't dare. Who gets the (potential) Fight advancement?

Which level of the mines will you explore now?
     Return to the surface (turn to 372)?
     The twelfth level (turn to 739)?
     The thirteenth level (turn to 388)?
     The fourteenth level (turn to 597)?
     The lowest level (turn to 222)?
Nothing left to do here but leave.

You step off the lift onto the top floor of the mine.
If you have the code A1, turn to 722. If not, read on.
     Sell some troglodyte heads to Clavod (turn to 233)?
     Make your way onwards (turn to 722)?

You are leaving the salt mines.
The only way to go is in a southerly direction.
     Southwest, towards Saltdad (turn to 177)?
     Southeast, towards Luutanesh (turn to 614)?
Where to next?

NameFightingSurvivalStealthCharismaLoreHealthCaster?GearNotes
Sar Jessica Dayne6(8)224(6)3(5)8/8xIron Greataxe (Fighting +2)*, Crude Blade, Bone Armour (Armour +2), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Tome of Knowledge (Lore +2), Talisman of St Elias, Seal of House Ross, Dragon Head:loveya: for Tasha
Lord Ti'quon1(2)12(4)2(3)6(7)6/6Iron Shortsword (Fighting +1), Crude Blade, Shield (Armour +2), Fine Boots (Stealth +2), Handsome Brooch (Charisma +1), Reference Book (Lore +1), Fairbrother Family Crest, Magical Weave, Vial of Poison
Tasha3(4)4(5)6(7)4(6)14/9xIron Shortsword (Fighting +1), Crude Blade, Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2), Amulet of Defense (Armour +1), Warm Cloak (Survival +1), Soft Boots (Stealth +1), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Bar of Gold Bullion:loveya: for Jessica
Akihiro4(6)63126/8xSteel Longsword (Fighting +2), Iron Shortsword (Fighting +1), Crude Blade, Shield (Armour +2), Hide Armor (Armor +1), Bluestone, Grey Talisman x3, Scroll of Rage, Silver Idol

Money: 3134 silver coins.
Spellbook (Ti'quon): Armor of Heaven, Clinging Dread, Ice Bolt, Magic Cabinet, Soothing Touch, Unfailing Strike
Codes: A2, A6, A7, A14, A15, A17, A20, A21, A23, A24, A25, A26, A27, A30, A32, A34, A35, A36, A41, A42, A43, A54, A55, A56, A57, A58, A59, A62, A64, A65, A66, A67, A71, A82, A85, A86, A87, A91, A92, A93
Your Armies: Luutanesh Spears (Strength 3, Morale 3, Luutanesh Garrison), Faithful Irregulars (Strength 1, Morale 4, Luutanesh Garrison), Kensai Warriors (Strength 4, Morale 4, Luutanesh Garrison), Chalice Archers (Strength 2, Morale 3, Luutanesh Garrison)
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to give Akhiro the boost, heal up at Saltdad, sell an Iron shortsword, and go back to the guy that wanted the dragon head.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We can turn in the dragon's head at Lhasbreath, right?

Give Akhiro the boost, but since we're near Chalice, I vote to heal up there, since that's also Akhiro's home. Maybe we don't even need an inn to heal up.

And maybe explore a bit for whatever extra content Akhiro may be able to unlock.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I will change the healing vote to Chalice, since I did forget that it is Akihiro's home.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You have come to the small town of Luutanesh, positioned on the crossroads that lie between three great cities of the valley. The Cold River runs near on one side of the town, flooding the nearby rice plains which are tended by hundreds of workers in wide sunhats.
     The town itself is poorer than it should be, with tax agents from Chalice, Saltdad and Cursus routinely stripping it of wealth. Security is strong here, with locals armed with long spears and dragonyak hide armour standing in guard huts positioned along the road.
     Stop in at the Cold River Inn (turn to 284)?
     Speak to the rice farmers (turn to 185)?
     Leave Luutanesh (turn to 194)?

You stroll away from Luutanesh, the sun climbing the sky as you make your way back to the great road.
     West, towards Saltdad (turn to 177)?
     North, to the salt mines (turn to 25)?
     East, towards Chalice (turn to 442)?
     South, to the Withered Steppes (turn to 115)?
     Southeast, along the Northroad to Cursus (turn to 113)?

You have come to the banks of a wide river that separates the city of Chalice from the rest of the valley. The Cold River pours from the craggy mountain tops of the Stonewalls and bisects the desert like a sword blade. Spanning this river is an ancient bridge, built shortly after the demon lord Abraxas destroyed the elder civilisation. Originally built as an act of faith to restart society, its designers could not hold back the wave of savagery left in the demon’s wake as the fine cities of the elders were brought to ruin.
     The bridge, however, still stands, wide and strong. Dozens of heavy wagons ply its ancient length and without it the city of Chalice would be entirely cut off. A fee of 40 silver coins is required to cross it, a steep price normally paid only by merchants. You notice that slimmer, flimsier bridges made of rope and wood also cross the river, through few people seem willing to use them. There is no toll for their use.
     Pay 40 silver coins (cross them off your sheet) and cross the stone bridge (turn to 450)?
     Cross the river using one of the rope bridges (turn to 329)?
     Head back to Luutanesh (turn to 614)?
Toll paid.

Chalice is a city of tall, decorated towers cut from the rocky messas that dot the landscape. Between the towers high-topped houses with red roofs cram together to produce neighbourhoods and boroughs, interspersed with painted temples decorated with bells and chimes. The nearby Cold River floods the plains between the rocks to create the most fertile place in the valley. Huge rice fields are tended to by hundreds of farmers in pyramidal hats. Unlike some cities in the valley there are no burly taskmasters savagely beating their workforce into submission. Instead the obedient folk of Chalice labour willingly for their God King, who resides in the Tower of Oneness in the heart of the city. It is an orderly place, quiet and subdued compared with other cities, but also less savage and uncivilised.
     If Akihiro is in your party, you may visit his house by turning to 897.
     Visit the marketplace (turn to 142)?
     Find an inn in the foreign quarter (turn to 665)?
     Attend a temple (turn to 522)?
     Go to the Tower of Oneness (turn to 411)?
     Explore the city (turn to 270)?
     Leave the city west, over the bridge (you do not need to pay on this side, turn to 614)?
     Leave the city south, along the Cold River (turn to 346)?
Party at Aki's!

If you have the code A53, turn to 221.
It has been several years since you have been home, and you cannot help but feel some nerves. Your brother-in-law Janu, the current head of the household, greets you curtly as you enter, but your sister and mother are more welcoming.
     “Akihiro!” cries your mother in joy, scarcely managing an obligatory bow before wrapping you in her arms. “You have come home at last!”
     “Don’t be silly, mother,” chides Yuko, your sister. “He is still on his travels.”
     “And shall stay on them,” growls Janu. “You bring your dishonour with you, Akihiro. I see you keep truck with foreigners now? Is your hatred of your homeland so complete?”
     “Is your rudeness?” snaps Yuko, gazing sharply at her husband. “Come Akihiro, we shall speak outside.”
     You cannot answer your brother-in-law for shame and allow yourself to be taken out of the house. You sit upon an old bench by the riverside, your sister sitting by you. “He is right to chide me so,” you admit. “I should not have returned after my failure at the temple…”
     “Not every man is suited to be a kensai,” says Yuko. “Why, even father and grandfather could not complete the training.”
     “Yet, before that, there was a sword saint in every generation of our family,” you say. “How thin our blood has become that even three generations is not enough to shake off our weakness! That you must marry Janu, a common farmer, because our name has fallen into such dishonour.”
     Yuko shakes her head. “I married Janu because I love him, fool that I am. And this dishonour is only in your head, and in the heads of idiots. You are a fine man, Akihiro. Find your own destiny. Do not be shackled to the past.”
     “That is to let the past beat me,” you say, grinding your teeth. “No. I shall return to the temple. I shall complete my training. And I shall return honour to our family’s name. I swear it!”
     You stand, and then bow to your sister. “When you see me again, I shall be a different man.”
     “Be safe!” urges your sister, as she watches you disappear across the rice paddies.
Turn to 450.
Look up one reference for your remaining choices. I assume we heal up at the inn, where a chatty merchant warns us to stay out of the Salt Plains; what happens after that?

edit: oops, forgot that Akihiro successfully improved his Fighting.

Sar Jessica Dayne6(8)224(6)3(5)8/8xIron Greataxe (Fighting +2)*, Crude Blade, Bone Armour (Armour +2), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Tome of Knowledge (Lore +2), Talisman of St Elias, Seal of House Ross, Dragon Head:loveya: for Tasha
Lord Ti'quon1(2)12(4)2(3)6(7)6/6Iron Shortsword (Fighting +1), Crude Blade, Shield (Armour +2), Fine Boots (Stealth +2), Handsome Brooch (Charisma +1), Reference Book (Lore +1), Fairbrother Family Crest, Magical Weave, Vial of Poison
Tasha3(4)4(5)6(7)4(6)19/9xIron Shortsword (Fighting +1), Crude Blade, Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2), Amulet of Defense (Armour +1), Warm Cloak (Survival +1), Soft Boots (Stealth +1), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Bar of Gold Bullion:loveya: for Jessica
Akihiro5(7)63128/8xSteel Longsword (Fighting +2), Iron Shortsword (Fighting +1), Crude Blade, Shield (Armour +2), Hide Armor (Armor +1), Bluestone, Grey Talisman x3, Scroll of Rage, Silver Idol

Money: 3069 silver coins.
Spellbook (Ti'quon): Armor of Heaven, Clinging Dread, Ice Bolt, Magic Cabinet, Soothing Touch, Unfailing Strike
Codes: A2, A6, A7, A14, A15, A17, A20, A21, A23, A24, A25, A26, A27, A30, A32, A34, A35, A36, A41, A42, A43, A54, A55, A56, A57, A58, A59, A62, A64, A65, A66, A67, A71, A82, A85, A86, A87, A91, A92, A93
Your Armies: Luutanesh Spears (Strength 3, Morale 3, Luutanesh Garrison), Faithful Irregulars (Strength 1, Morale 4, Luutanesh Garrison), Kensai Warriors (Strength 4, Morale 4, Luutanesh Garrison), Chalice Archers (Strength 2, Morale 3, Luutanesh Garrison)
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Is there an option to return to the temple to complete his training? If not, the I vote to redeem the dragon head to the official that is asking for it.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

There was a prompt for akihiro in some nearby hill caves. If like to see him go there. Temple after the failure at the cave.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I'm going to break the tie in favor of the temple first, because it's less far to walk.

The common temples of Chalice are dedicated to their strange meditative religion. They are open structures without walls, although low wooden screens are used to separate the different orders of worshippers. You are surprised that no one here worships the God King, but merely pays reverence to his immortal insights into their faith. You cannot receive blessings here since there is no external god to bless you, instead all truth and beauty must be found from within through a process of long introspection.
     Clearly, only a native of this land could master such intricacies. If you have Akihiro in your party, turn to 856. If not, besides wondering at the strangeness of it all, you can gain no benefit here. Turn to 450.

If you have the code A53, turn to 252.
     If you have the code A52, turn to 600.
     If you have the code A51, turn to 786.
     If you have the code A50, turn to 287.

If not, read on.
It has been many years since you set foot in a temple in Chalice. Last time you were here you pledged your spirit to become a kensai, a sword saint. However, just like your father and his father before him your soul was found wanting, and you were cast out of the temple in disgrace. You were unable to achieve enlightenment, a vital step to becoming a holy warrior. There is said to be a curse on your family, that prevents the first-born son in your line from achieving perfection.
     You see a gang of monks, recognising you, move to block your approach to the temple. You feel shame rising in your throat, and make ready to leave, when a familiar old man bustles his way between the young monks. “So quick to leave us, Akihiro? Surely you have not travelled the world merely to shun your home?” It is Honnu, a wise old monk, and once a kensai himself.
     “I'm unwelcome here,” you say, eyeing the other monks.
     “If you are ever to throw off your family’s curse you must be stronger than that,” says Honnu, making his way back up the steps to the temple. “If you can reach me, alone, I am ready to begin your training anew. If it is not important to you, then leave.”
     You see the monks snarl, clenching their fists. They seem unwilling to part.
     Fight your way past the monks (turn to 386)?
     Or depart (turn to 450)?

Tasha3(4)4(5)6(7)4(6)19/9xIron Shortsword (Fighting +1), Crude Blade, Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2), Amulet of Defense (Armour +1), Warm Cloak (Survival +1), Soft Boots (Stealth +1), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Bar of Gold Bullion:loveya: for Jessica
Akihiro5(7)63128/8xSteel Longsword (Fighting +2), Iron Shortsword (Fighting +1), Crude Blade, Shield (Armour +2), Hide Armor (Armor +1), Bluestone, Grey Talisman x3, Scroll of Rage, Silver Idol

[/quote]
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Try fighting. At least it doesn't look like failure would be lethal here.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to fight past the monks.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You inform your companions to stand aside.
Gazing directly into the eyes of the opposing monks you strip away your weapon belt and throw it to the side. Armed only with your fists you approach, the monks adopting fighting stances.

Because you have no weapon for this fight, you cannot add any Fighting bonus a weapon can give you. However, because you are familiar with the unarmed combat style of the monks, you do not lose a point of Fighting for having no weapon.

OpponentAttackDefHealth
Monks5(4+)4+8

If you win, turn to 9. If you are beaten, turn to 596.
We don't get to use a weapon, but we do apparently get to use our armor and shield. I'm not going to give the blow-by-blow, Akihiro actually gets a flawless victory.

With a high kick you send the final monk sprawling. The other monks in the temple lower their eyes and return to their duties, unwilling to block your progress further. You retrieve your weapon and march smartly into the temple.
     Honnu is waiting for you, cross-legged on the floor. You join him in meditation for an hour or so, your companions venturing elsewhere in the city now they can see you are safe. “It is rare for a supplicant to be granted the trials of perfection twice, but you are an unusual man, Akihiro. You must know that your father never returned from the trials. But I sense in you a steel he never had.”
     “Thank you, Honnu,” you say, bowing your head.
     “There would be little point in having you study at the temple, you are already skilled in your craft,” shrugs Honnu. “Instead I shall send you straight onto your tasks. Two must be completed before you are deemed worthy. It is traditional to send an applicant to retrieve some trifling artefact as proof of dedication; a tedious matter, since the only item of true worth is enlightenment. Therefore, I bid you find me a silver idol. Find yourself, Akihiro, whilst you are at it.”
     “Where can I find a silver idol?” you ask unsurely.
     “I’m sure more than one exists, but a man of open mind and willing to embrace his destiny might find one in the caves of Uranu,” suggests Honnu. “That place has tested, and slain, many a kensai aspirant. Go wisely, Akihiro. I shall see you soon.”
     Gain the code A50. You rise, bow, and go to re-join your companions. Turn to 450.

Chalice is a city of tall, decorated towers cut from the rocky messas that dot the landscape. Between the towers high-topped houses with red roofs cram together to produce neighbourhoods and boroughs, interspersed with painted temples decorated with bells and chimes. The nearby Cold River floods the plains between the rocks to create the most fertile place in the valley. Huge rice fields are tended to by hundreds of farmers in pyramidal hats. Unlike some cities in the valley there are no burly taskmasters savagely beating their workforce into submission. Instead the obedient folk of Chalice labour willingly for their God King, who resides in the Tower of Oneness in the heart of the city. It is an orderly place, quiet and subdued compared with other cities, but also less savage and uncivilised.
     Leave the city west, over the bridge (you do not need to pay on this side, turn to 614)?

Codes: A2, A6, A7, A14, A15, A17, A20, A21, A23, A24, A25, A26, A27, A30, A32, A34, A35, A36, A41, A42, A43, A50, A54, A55, A56, A57, A58, A59, A62, A64, A65, A66, A67, A71, A82, A85, A86, A87, A91, A92, A93
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to return to the temple, since Akihiro *already* has a silver idol.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

JourneymanN00b wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:35 am
I vote to return to the temple, since Akihiro *already* has a silver idol.
Agreed.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Some might say that it's questionable to pass your trial with the spoils of a heist you weren't even there for, but others would say they don't care.

Skipping over the preambles...

If you have a silver idol, turn to 675. If you do not have a silver idol, but have achieved Enlightenment turn to 241. If you have neither of these things, then Honnu has nothing more to say to you. Turn to 450.

Honnu nods as you hand over the silver idol (cross it off your adventure sheet). He looks at it briefly, and then tosses it to a nearby beggar in meditation. The astonished old beggar thanks the monk and dashes off to the marketplace to turn his donation into coins.
     “Well, that’s the tedious part of your tests complete,” shrugs Honnu. The whole matter has been rather an anti-climax, but you seem to have passed. Turn to 530.

“Now it is time to demonstrate your bladecraft,” nods Honnu. “And it must be against a foe that can test you spiritually as well as physically. It is known that somewhere in the central deserts of the valley dwells a revenant – the undead spirit of a man who failed his kensai trials so disastrously he is doomed to walk the earth forever. You must find this spirit and defeat it in single combat.”
     You feel no fear. “I shall,” you vow.
     “This task will not be easy,” says Honnu. “Get yourself a good sword, and train yourself to the highest standard before you track down your foe. It will be the duel that defines your family’s fate forever. When you have slain it, return to me.”
     You stand and bow, pondering where to begin your search. Cross off the code A50 and record the code A51. Turn to 450.

Akihiro5(7)63128/8xSteel Longsword (Fighting +2), Iron Shortsword (Fighting +1), Crude Blade, Shield (Armour +2), Hide Armor (Armor +1), Bluestone, Grey Talisman x3, Scroll of Rage

Codes: A2, A6, A7, A14, A15, A17, A20, A21, A23, A24, A25, A26, A27, A30, A32, A34, A35, A36, A41, A42, A43, A51, A54, A55, A56, A57, A58, A59, A62, A64, A65, A66, A67, A71, A82, A85, A86, A87, A91, A92, A93
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to go cash in the dragon's head to whoever wants it.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, better do that now rather than forgetting about it later.
angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:16 pm
The whole matter has been rather an anti-climax
Indeed.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

I still vote for getting the akihiro content from the cave of Uranu while we're close.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

pragma wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:41 pm
I still vote for getting the akihiro content from the cave of Uranu while we're close.
Normally I would agree, but from the conversation it looks like said "extra content" is basically about getting the silver idol, which we already did, so I think we should turn in the dragon's head now in case we lose it.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

So, the extra Aki content in Uranu is technically closed to us because we're now in stage 2 of his quest. It is, however, pretty cool, and there's no narrative reason he couldn't pursue it if he felt like it. So as far as that goes, the choice is:
     • Honor the book as written.
     • Bend the rules for more content.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

I'm in favor of bending rules for extra content, but I'm happy to drop my vote for now in order to break the tire. Let's deliver that dragon head and swing back here sometime.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I'm interested in seeing the missed content too, but as it is I'll only be causing a tie if I change my vote now. Maybe we can get back later for that after we turn in the dragon head.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You are on the eastern bank of the Cold River, a wide, life-giving waterway. To the north lies the beautiful city of Chalice. Abutting the side of the river come a series of steep desert hills, riddled with caves said to contain hordes of vicious monsters. These are the infamous Caves of Uranu, named after the valley-god of the underworld.
     Explore the caves (turn to 493)?
     Skirt around the caves and move on (turn to 445)?

It is not so easy to escape unmolested past the Caves of Uranu. There is a reason people use the Northroad rather than trudge through the desert.
     Avoid monsters (Team check)
     Skill and DC: Survival (4+)
     Successes Required: 7

If you succeed, turn to 395. If not, turn to 846.
Survival team go! 11d v 4+: 6,3,1,6,3,2,5,6,2,1,1=4, failure.

Goblins live in swarms in the caves, and it is not long until a large band of them track you down. At least three dozen of the little swines holler down the mountainside, screaming a war cry. You must fight!

OpponentAttackDefHealth
Nasty Goblins7(5+)4+10
Ugly Goblins6(5+)4+11
Vicious Goblins8(5+)4+9
Goblin ArchersSpecial4+8

Note: The goblin archers do not attack in hand-to-hand combat but will try and shoot party members if they are not kept busy. If, at the end of the combat turn, the goblin archers have not taken any damage, they unleash their arrows. Choose two party members to lose 2 Health points – armour cannot reduce this damage.
     If you win, turn to 15.
Dang, that's a fight with the potential for some deadly damage spikes, so I'm going to play it safe and make Tasha a supertank.

Round 1:
Sar Jessica attacks Goblin Archers, 8d v 4+:1,4,1,4,5,6,5,1=5, Garchers at 3/8.
Akihiro attacks Goblin Archers, 7d v 4+:1,5,6,5,4,1,4=5, Garchers defeated.
Tasha attacks Vicious Goblins, 4d v 4+:1,1,1=0.
Ti'quon casts Armor of Heaven on Tasha, Tasha now has Armour 8.
Nasty Goblins attack, 7d v 5+:2,6,5,2,3,6,1=3, assigned to Tasha (all damage negated).
Ugly Goblins attack, 6d v 5+:4,4,3,3,1,6=3, assigned to Tasha (all damage negated).
Vicious Goblins attack, 8d v 5+:3,2,5,2,1,1,2,2=1, assigned to Tasha (all damage negated).

Round 2:
Sar Jessica attacks Vicious Goblins, 8d v 4+:6,4,3,2,2,5,4,3=4, Voblins at 5/9.
Akihiro attacks Vicious Goblins, 7d v 4+:2,5,2,5,5,4,6=5, Voblins defeated!
Tasha and Ti'quon attacks Nasty Goblins, 6d v 4+:4,5,6,4,1,3=4, Noblins at 6/10.
Nasty Goblins attack, 7d v 5+:3,3,3,4,2,4,4=0.
Ugly Goblins attack, 6d v 5+:2,4,3,3,3,3=0.

Round 3:
Sar Jessica attacks Nasty Goblins, 8d v 4+:1,4,6,5,4,6,4,5=7, Noblins defeated!
Everyone else attacks Ugly Goblins, 13d v 4+:5,2,5,2,3,4,5,2,2,3,4,6,2=6, Ugblins at 5/11.
Ugly Goblins attack, 6d v 5+:2,1,1,2,5,2=1, assigned to Tasha (all damage negated).

Then the stomping. Well, they got unlucky instead of lucky with their attack rolls, but I'm not sorry I spent the spell for caution's sake.

There are few valuables amongst the goblins, though you manage to scavenge 15 silver coins from the entire horde. Pleased to have survived you make your way onwards. Turn to 395.

You are leaving the Caves of Uranu behind.
Where will you go?
     North, towards Chalice (turn to 450)?
     South, towards Cursus (turn to 625)?

You are on the eastern bank of the Cold River, a few dozen miles from the religious city of Cursus. The heat is oppressive, but thanks to the ample water supply and obvious directional clues from the river, you can navigate this stretch of desert quite easily. River barges make their way lazily up and down the river, but they do so on the far side of the bank. The notorious Caves of Uranu lie to the north, and no trader will risk their stocks in that foul wasteland.
     Go north, to the Caves of Uranu (turn to 346)?
     Go south, to the city of Cursus (turn to 340)?

The city of Cursus is dominated by thirteen flat-topped step pyramids made of black stone. It is the spiritual and cultural centre of the valley, the domain of the millennia-spanning worship of the god of judgement. Priests and worshipers, dressed in long black robes, are commonplace. Only those inducted into the church can have a profession or own property in the city, so displays of sombre piety are everywhere. Slaves and the faithless toil in the fields around the rushing Cold River, which feeds into a magnificent harbour. Sadly, for the city, all too few merchant vessels stop here. Cursus may be rich by the standards of the valley, but it has few trade goods to share with the outside world, and Clifftop tends to dominate the salt trade, being closer to the trade routes of Royce.

Dominating the centre of the city is the Grand Ziggurat, the political and financial centre of the city. From here the priests of Cursus calculate their taxes and work to expunge all other faiths in the valley.
     Find an inn (turn to 201)?
     Go to the marketplace (turn to 375)?
     Go to the slave market (turn to 595)?
     Visit the Grand Ziggurat (turn to 110)?
     Visit a small temple of Cursus (turn to 272)?
     Go to the harbour (turn to 33)?
     Explore the city (turn to 369)?
     Follow the Northroad out of the city (turn to 822)?
     Go northeast, following the eastern bank of the river (turn to 625)?
     Go west, into the desert (turn to 657)?
I assume we recover our spent spell.

You are in a blazing equatorial desert, walking along the cliffside that looks across the Azure Deep to the south. You are midway, you think, between the city of Cursus and the crumbling ruins of Mordain. The heat is truly dreadful, and despite the cooling winds blowing across the sea, there is not a drop to drink except what you have brought with you.
     Survive the Desert (Team check)
     Successes Required: 4

On a success you manage to bear the heat. On a failure each party member must lose 1 Health from the dreadful effects of the sun.
     Roll a die. On a 1 or 2, turn to 28. On a 3 or more you are not harassed during your journey.
Where will you go now?
     North, towards the Temple of the Unbroken (turn to 535)?
     East, towards the city of Cursus (turn to 340)?
     West, towards the Mordain ruins (turn to 515)?
Survival team go! 11d v 4+:3,6,5,6,6,1,3,3,4,4,6=7, success!
The random encounter roll is a 5.

You have arrived in the ruins of the city of Mordain, sacked over four hundred years ago by the priests of Cursus and the king of Lhasbreath. It is a place of ill-portent, shunned by the locals. No building fully stands in this coastal city, and even its walls are shattered and crumbling.
     Explore the temple district (turn to 432)?
     Explore the broken merchant quarter (turn to 79)?
     Pick your way to the harbour (turn to 243)?
     Head west, across the desert toward Lhasbreath (turn to 752)?
     Head north, into the desert (turn to 202)?
     Head east, across the desert towards Cursus (turn to 657)?
Ugh, haven't missed this place.

You are crossing a vast expanse of desert, that alternates between rocky Badlands and sweeping dunes of rich yellow sand. The heat is oppressive. Few things live in this barren place.
     Manage your water (Team check)
     Successes Required: 4

If you succeed, you manage to conserve water by travelling mostly at night and sheltering from the worst of the sun. If you fail, each party member loses
1 Health from heatstroke.
Roll a die. On a 1 or 2, turn to 108. On a 3, turn to 534. On a 4 or more, turn to 840.
Survival team go! 11d v 4+:1,6,3,1,6,3,2,5,6,2,1=4, success!
The encounter roll is a 1.

You hear hoofbeats in the distance. Glancing over the top of the dune you spot a group of Lhasbreath barbarians, riding on horseback. There are six of them – quite a formidable group!
     Attempt to hide from them by partially burying yourselves in the dunes (turn to 525)?
     Greet them cordially (turn to 199)?
     Attack them at long distance (turn to 297)?

Akihiro5(7)63128/8xSteel Longsword (Fighting +2), Iron Shortsword (Fighting +1), Crude Blade, Shield (Armour +2), Hide Armor (Armor +1), Bluestone, Grey Talisman x3, Scroll of Rage

Money: 3034 silver coins.
Codes: A2, A6, A7, A14, A15, A17, A20, A21, A23, A24, A25, A26, A27, A30, A32, A34, A35, A36, A41, A42, A43, A51, A54, A55, A56, A57, A58, A59, A62, A64, A65, A66, A67, A71, A82, A85, A86, A87, A91, A92, A93
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Greet.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Greet.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to greet them cordially.