[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 59 - Curse of the Mummy

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of the below are you most interested in playing next?

FF17: Appointment with F.E.A.R. (Take 2 - different Superpower)
25%
FF51: Island of the Undead
No votes
FF59: Curse of the Mummy
75%

Total votes: 4

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 59 - Curse of the Mummy

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to eat two meals as well.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Boris consumes 2 meals to bring his STAMINA up to 16 before crossing bridge:

Dice roll = 6+1+6 = 13 (Success).
With grim determination, you stagger a cross the chamber, sweating profusely. When you are past the fires you collapse, exhausted (deduct 1 point from your STAMINA). Unable to go on for the moment after the strength-sapping heat of the Path of Flames, you sit down and rest. Ten minutes pass before you feel ready to set off once more. Getting to your feet, you march along the tunnel until you reach a door, covered in gold leaf, to your left. Do you want to try this door or will you keep to your present path?
Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: Boris O’Connell
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 15/18
LUCK 10/12
Poison: 4/18
Equipment: Sword, backpack, Rope and Grapple, Firepowder (can be thrown at opponent at start of combat, hit after successful Skill test for 1D6 damage), Torch, Lantern + Skin of Oil (being used as light source), Oil of Lotus, Crystal Pyramid, Papyrus Scroll (subtract 20 from section number to translate hieroglyphic script), Statuette of Assamarra, God of the Sand, Ankh (Key of Life, set with 12 precious stones), Jet Cat, Earthenware jar
Provisions: 7
Gold: 3
Extra Lives remaining: 1
Notes: We received Cranno's Warning. "And all those who would despoil the shrine of Cracca, Lord of Rivers and Ferryman of the Gods, beware the wrath of the crocodile-headed one." We gained the Wisdom of Khunam (understanding of ancient Djaratian speech - add 30 to section number when spoken to in that language).
[/spoiler]
Last edited by SGamerz on Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Try the shiny door.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to try this door to see if taking a stand against fascism is the true way to go.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, two meals.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Try out the shiny gold door.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The door opens easily. You enter an empty room, leading into an inner sanctum. In the centre of the sanctum stands a rectangular column and resting in a niche in its side is an exquisite golden image of a crocodile-headed man, probably a god, no more than thirty centimetres high, dressed in Djaratian garb. There is no sign of any guards, so will you take the statue or leave the shrine undisturbed and return to the funnel?
Take the shiny gold statue behind the shiny gold door?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Take the statue. Pity we don't have a band of sand that somehow weigh even more than the gold to swap, though.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Yes, take the statue.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

It’s going to be trapped but it might have the key we need so take the statue.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sure, I vote to take the statue and hope we don't turn into gold like the hand of Midas did.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Definitely don't take the statue! We have an explicit warning about a crocodile headed God's shrine.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Good point. I change my vote to leaving the shrine undisturbed and returning to the funnel.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Oh, good call. Yeah, avoid this one.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Unfortunately, pragma's warning did not come in time to turn the tide of the votes! Boris reaches for the statue:

As soon as you touch the statue, a magical transformation takes place and the golden image grows until it is two and a half metres tall. The huge crocodile-head looks down at you then raises a great golden fist, ready to beat you into the ground. Do you have a Gold Piece or something else made of gold among your possessions? If you have, turn to 78. If you haven't, tum to 275.
Even if we'd spent all our gold pieces (which we haven't), we'd still have the Ankh, which is made of solid gold.
You know you cannot harm the Sentinel of the Shrine unless you are in contact with a piece of the material from which it is formed. However, while retrieving this item you are vulnerable to attack and must automatically lose the first round of combat. After that you can fight on as normal.

GOLDEN SENTINEL SKILL 11 STAMINA 12

If you win, turn to 368.
I'm actually not sure how the PC got that knowledge, but if Green isn't using the possible lack of knowledge as another excuse to auto-kill us, I'm not going to complain!

This is our toughest opponent yet! With the free hit we have to take, our stats are close to equal. Thankfully, we're not getting a combat penalty for having to touch another item while fighting.

Do we want to use LUCK for this tough contest?

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 13/18
LUCK 10/12
Equipment: Sword, backpack, Rope and Grapple, Firepowder (can be thrown at opponent at start of combat, hit after successful Skill test for 1D6 damage), Torch, Lantern + Skin of Oil (being used as light source), Oil of Lotus, Crystal Pyramid, Papyrus Scroll (subtract 20 from section number to translate hieroglyphic script), Statuette of Assamarra, God of the Sand, Ankh (Key of Life, set with 12 precious stones), Jet Cat, Earthenware jar
Notes: We received Cranno's Warning. "And all those who would despoil the shrine of Cracca, Lord of Rivers and Ferryman of the Gods, beware the wrath of the crocodile-headed one." We gained the Wisdom of Khunam (understanding of ancient Djaratian speech - add 30 to section number when spoken to in that language).
[/spoiler]
Last edited by SGamerz on Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:21 am
Oh, good call. Yeah, avoid this one.
Alas, the vote-change came a bit too late, since I was already in the midst of posting the update by then.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to only use luck when we get to 5 Stamina.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oops, we were warned. And we knew this was a trap anyway.

We've got plenty of provisions, so I guess second JourneymanNOOb's idea.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Thirding JN’s plan.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

(Updates will be sparse again for the next 3 days as I will be outdoors for most of them.)

COMBAT LOG:
Golden Sentinel 20, Boris O’Connell 20. Tie.
GS 21, BOC 19. BOC is at 11.
GS 14, BOC 17. GS is at 10.
GS 17, BOC 22. GS is at 8.
GS 15, BOC 22. GS is at 6.
GS 14, BOC 19. GS is at 4.
GS 15, BOC 20. GS is at 2.
GS 20, BOC 20. Tie.
GS 18, BOC 16. BOC is at 9.
GS 19, BOC 19. Tie.
GS 14, BOC 18. GS is defeated.
The image of Cracca, Lord of Rivers and Ferryman of the Gods, falls at last and instantly changes back into a thirty-centimetre-tall statue. Now drained of its magical energies, the golden image is harmless and you may add it to your possessions if you wish. There is nothing else of value in the shrine, so you leave.
Let me know if you still wish to take the statue.
The tunnel emerges in a square chamber which is painted with scenes of the dead king's journey through the underworld. In the wall opposite stands an ornate darkwood door; to the left and right, corridors lead elsewhere, the one to the left ending abruptly at another door. As you listen in the stillness of the tomb, a faint whispering sound comes from beyond the door in front of you. Where will you go now?

Through the door in front of you?
Through the door to the left?
Along the passage to the right?
Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 9/18
LUCK 10/12
[/spoiler]
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I see no reason to not take the statue. It might still be useful somehow.

Eat a Provision and then go left; I suspect the side room is least likely to gate us off from investigating the other two.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed. If the golden image is harmless, we might as well take it, then eat a meal and go left.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Boris swiped the shiny statue, restores his STAMINA to 13 after stopping to wolf down a meal, and goes left:
You enter a long room which is lined on both sides with the statutes of Djaratian kings. At the end of the room is a raised platform on which rests an ornate gilded chest, its lid adorned with falcon heads at each comer. You can see nothing else. If you want to take a closer look at the chest, tum to 356. Otherwise, you leave the chamber and are faced with the choice of going through the other door or along the new passageway.
Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 13/18
LUCK 10/12
Equipment: Sword, backpack, Rope and Grapple, Firepowder (can be thrown at opponent at start of combat, hit after successful Skill test for 1D6 damage), Torch, Lantern + Skin of Oil (being used as light source), Oil of Lotus, Crystal Pyramid, Papyrus Scroll (subtract 20 from section number to translate hieroglyphic script), Statuette of Assamarra, God of the Sand, Ankh (Key of Life, set with 12 precious stones), Jet Cat, Earthenware jar, Gold statue of Cracca, Lord of Rivers and Ferryman of the Gods
Provisions: 6
[/spoiler]
Queen of Swords
Prince

Take a closer look at the chest.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Investigate the thingy.