[Non-US] News That Makes You laugh/cry/neither...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Neo Phonelobster Prime
Knight

Re: [Non-US] News That Makes You laugh/cry/neither...

Post by Neo Phonelobster Prime »

Its hard to blame a specific single factor for an entire election loss.

But it IS easy to observe in this case that at the very least it killed Blair's career as a politician forever.

And the taint from that killed UK new labour as a viable political movement in the eyes of electorate.

Now the media are going to Rick Roll new labour (and Blair) all day long every day forever.

But they aren't labour's base. The base HATES Blair and all Blairites for many good reasons, but when you do the massive war crimes lying to the face of the public enthusiastically people tend to remember that as the stand out thing they hate about you and its how history remembers you.

Almost like its a cautionary tale, not just for Starmer but also Biden.

Oh well. Nevermind. I'm sure history isn't repeating itself, this time for sure hey neo liberal/cons!
- The rarely observed alternative timeline Phonelobster
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

While I think people shouldn't do war crimes, and that war criming helped contribute somewhat to Blair's and Bush's party's losses. I think, in fact, that it was mostly about the massive economic recession from a bunch of Thatcher/Blair/Reagan/Clinton/Bush/Bush policies.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

France's EU elections happened and the far right smoked Macron's right wing party. So Macron responded by calling snap elections. The calculus is that nothing he does between now and 2027 would do anything but make the Far Right stronger, so better to have the elections now and hope that the divided left can't figure out anyone to unite behind and he can siphon enough of their votes in the runoff system to win the election.

At which point he will have 5 more years to make the Far Right more powerful for the next elections.

The people of France would do good to realize that the only reason they are having elections right now at all is because Macron knows that nothing he does will disempower the far right at any time over the next several years. A vote for Macron is a vote for the Far Right to be in power.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

https://earthrights.org/media_release/c ... th-squads/

On the other hand, Chiquita created great value for the shareholders
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?