mm iii

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

mm iii

Post by User3 »

After looking att he new MM III, my opinion is that the monsters can be broken into three types:

---Creatures that could have easily been a template.

---Creatures with such crazy powers that you will die long before you figure out what the fvck is going on.

---Creatures with such crazy concepts that you will kill the monsters long before you figure out what the fvck is going on, or what the monster even looked like.

Also, it seems that Swarms are like the new favorite thing in WoTC, as like 8 new ones are in the book. My personal favorite is the Fine Swarm Construct thats Immune to Magic. Figure out how to kill it and win a cookie!

(It actually can only die to a Incendary Cloud spell, and possible an Earthquake spell, or a spell that is a No SR spell. Good luck figuring that out before you are dead.)
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: mm iii

Post by Username17 »

Haven't read it, but it sounds like you could kill it with bottles of alchemist fire, or for that matter shadow creations of gallons and gallons of acid.

-Username17
Wrenfield
Master

Post by Wrenfield »

K wrote:Also, it seems that Swarms are like the new favorite thing in WoTC, as like 8 new ones are in the book. My personal favorite is the Fine Swarm Construct thats Immune to Magic. Figure out how to kill it and win a cookie!

(It actually can only die to a Incendary Cloud spell, and possible an Earthquake spell, or a spell that is a No SR spell. Good luck figuring that out before you are dead.)
Conjuration: Creation spells that *damage* or blow hard winds is probably the key here.

I have to see the swarm first. But Immunity to Magic is usually taken care of via Conjuration: Creation spells quite nicely.
DracoNova
NPC

Post by DracoNova »

FrankTrollman wrote:Haven't read it, but it sounds like you could kill it with bottles of alchemist fire, or for that matter shadow creations of gallons and gallons of acid.

Doesn't that apply to...just about everything, though?

In any case, the assessment is correct. Nothing special here, unless you're feeling nostalgic for Flinds, or some such thing.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1095625075[/unixtime]]or for that matter shadow creations of gallons and gallons of acid.

-Username17

Any [Shadow] conjuration spell is subject to SR. Sad but true.

Anyway, is there anything good about the new punching bags book?
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

However, using a spell to create something does not provoke SR.

The acid doesn't have SR. Therefore, you don't need to overcome it to make it.

After the acid is created, there's no need for SR anymore.

Arguable, they get a will save for the acid to do (What is chadow conjuration, 60%? 80%? I don't allow those spells, so I don't know.)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1095648753[/unixtime]]Arguable, they get a will save for the acid to do (What is chadow conjuration, 60%? 80%? I don't allow those spells, so I don't know.)

Thats when the SR somes into play too, as far as I can tell.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, some percentage of gallons of acid damage because their spell resistance somehow prevents it from being fully real on them is still usually fatal. Which is how I think it is supposed to work.

-Username17
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I think K has no clue. Aside from most of the undead needing to be templates (this isn't new WotC) I don't see the problem.

Good Points:
Better layout
Better Art (and no Crabapple)
No entries that are just a statblock with two sentences under it.
Catharz_Godsfoot
NPC

Post by Catharz_Godsfoot »

Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1095728020[/unixtime]](and no Crabapple)

:thumb:
That alone might make the book worth buying.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I like Crabapple . . .
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Maybe to eat.