Simple items critique

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Simple items critique

Post by Prak »

Well, one of my players is playing a Gestalt (Sor/Tome Monk)2, and is using a little pvc figure of a bleach character as his mini, which happens to be abot right for large size, so I got to thinking about giving him a ring of enlarge person. But I also realized that the other player(my girlfriend, playing a Merfolk Rogue3 with a special item that changes her tail into legs while on land) would need a comparably valuable item.

So For the rogue I came up with a bracer that immobilizes an opponent in a bubble of water(extended hold person, CL5) and makes the floor beneath them slippery with water(extended grease, CL5). so that she can immobilize several opponents and then run around CdG'ing them.

For the monk, I made a ring with haste and shocking grasp 4/day at CL5, and Enlarge Person(CL5) on command.

I also made an item for the NPC TWF cleric3 of Heironeous that helps them just to keep him even in terms of power, it's a crown that provides him with the Archon's Aura of Menace(through bestow curse), protection from evil and detect evil.

are these items equal? any suggestions?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Well for the Monk's Ring, is haste limited to 4/day as well? Is Enlarge?

Keep in mind that infinite uses of Enlarge Person at CL 1 pretty much means you know have a permanently enlarge Monk.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

yeah, haste is 4/day, but enlarge person is not. I'm not so worried about enlarge's +10str and 2d6 slam, but a permenant haste or perpetual +5d8 electric on slams does worry me. The enlarge was the main point of the ring and I don't want the ring to completely power down, I want it to always have a use, since the other characters are getting at will command word items.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
SphereOfFeetMan
Knight-Baron

Post by SphereOfFeetMan »

Prak_Anima wrote:...enlarge's +10str...
The +2 Str from Enlarge Person replaces the normal +8, it doesn't add to it.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I could have sworn that frank said it gave both, and was going with that, though he might have been talking about Large Size (the Fiend feat) rather than Enlarge person.

What if the ring gave the benefit of Large Size?

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Well my point is that you are asking us if a Ring that gives:

Haste/Shocking Grasp 4/day and Permanent Enlarge is equal to an item that just gives Permanent Enlarge.

No. It's better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

No, I'm not asking that. I'm asking if the monk's ring, rogue's bracer and cleric's crown are equally valuable to their respective characters. I'm also asking "what if the ring gave the monk command word access to the benefits of the feat "Large Size" in place of Enlarge, while keeping the haste and shocking grasp effects.

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Since when does enlarge person give a +10 bonus to Strength? Is this based on the size bonus from increasing a size category? Because I'm pretty sure the spell isn't supposed to work like that.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I could have sworn that frank said it gave both, and was going with that, though he might have been talking about Large Size (the Fiend feat) rather than Enlarge person.

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

That's less broken.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.