Post a Diagram...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

rapa-nui
Journeyman

Post a Diagram...

Post by rapa-nui »

... of what a cool combat system for an RPG might look like.

For various reasons this is NOT what is ideal:

Personally, I think it could look more like this:

(From MTG Shadowmoor set)

Note that this one doesn't actually indicate what beats what, but shows complex interactions.

For a truly awesome game, perhaps complexity with hidden patterns and trends is most important:

To the scientist there is the joy in pursuing truth which nearly counteracts the depressing revelations of truth. ~HP Lovecraft
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

It's a little simplistic, but I think it works...

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

-Username17
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

WTF's that, Frank? Looks like something someone might actually try to use (suspiciously similar to one from an ex-GM of mine) ...

Surgo, how dare you not post
Image?
Last edited by Bigode on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

SHIT nice thread idea rapanui.

Frank, you need to untangle that web... but it shocked me how similar that looks to some concepts I have from years ago.

Bigode's is superior. Chart was super effective!

Here's mine.
current 3-stat system in the works wrote: 3 STATS
Body
Mental
Speed
x
3 USES
Offense
Defense
Control

=

9 SUBSTATS
(1 main stat)
(3 substats each, value equal to main stat but sometimes slight differences)

BODY: the Warrior stat
Body Offense
Body Defense
Body Control

MIND: the Magic stat
Mental Offense
Mental Defense
Mental Control

SPEED: the Expert stat
Speed Offense
Speed Defense
Speed Control
That's seriously all there is to it.
Arrow denotes that the previous power is better than the one it points to by a difference of about +10 on an opposed d20 check, or d20 check vs. static number.
Last edited by JonSetanta on Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Bigode wrote:WTF's that, Frank? Looks like something someone might actually try to use (suspiciously similar to one from an ex-GM of mine) ...
Just some continued Superhero thinking that I was doing last night. Since we were posting diagrams, I hastily drew one out and took a photograph of it. And yes, that's my toe in the picture holding it in place. I use my toes for that sort of thing a lot.

Looking back at it, it seems that I mixed up Cold and Distortion effects, and having thought about it more, I think I'd replace Distortion attacks with Gas attacks as a standard. Also, I'd throw in some "weak" attacks that are weak against some defenses and not strong against any. Fire and normal strikes, for example, should be available but never ideal.

In any case, it's the kind of thing where your character would have a defensive specialization, which would be chosen from a list based on the type of hero you were. Capes could get Toughness or Dodge, Blasters could get Forcefield or Magic Shield, Speedsters could get Dodge or Psychic Wall, and so on.

-Username17
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Frank, if you felt like putting up some details about Superhero stuff somewhere, I'd be very interested in reading about it. After showing some folks down here Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, I've got them interested in the idea of a superhero game.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

FrankTrollman wrote:Just some continued Superhero thinking that I was doing last night. Since we were posting diagrams, I hastily drew one out and took a photograph of it. And yes, that's my toe in the picture holding it in place. I use my toes for that sort of thing a lot.

Looking back at it, it seems that I mixed up Cold and Distortion effects, and having thought about it more, I think I'd replace Distortion attacks with Gas attacks as a standard. Also, I'd throw in some "weak" attacks that are weak against some defenses and not strong against any. Fire and normal strikes, for example, should be available but never ideal.

In any case, it's the kind of thing where your character would have a defensive specialization, which would be chosen from a list based on the type of hero you were. Capes could get Toughness or Dodge, Blasters could get Forcefield or Magic Shield, Speedsters could get Dodge or Psychic Wall, and so on.
First, the needed ROFL - you could just lay the paper on the floor, you know? But also: would you want the RPS to be a static modifier on checks, or what? Also, shouldn't fire be ideal against something, if we're definitely to have some characters with it as main ability? Lastly, the moment you've "power" and "speed" attack even, WTF's "normal"?
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Gelare wrote:Frank, if you felt like putting up some details about Superhero stuff somewhere, I'd be very interested in reading about it. After showing some folks down here Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, I've got them interested in the idea of a superhero game.
Well for now I would recommend Champions, on the grounds that it is playable, up and running, and quite good. It's kind of math-heavy during char gen for many people, so I understand if you have trouble getting people to jump on that bandwagon. But inspired as I was by your vote of confidence I went and put a couple thousand words to paper this morning on the subject. Here's how far I got:

Fantastic!

A superheroric game based on many of the precepts of 4e D&D.

Forward
I thought you hated 4e D&D?
I do.

4th edition D&D is a bad system for what it was intended to do: which is ostensibly to do Sword and Sorcery hijinx. This is because characters in Sword and Sorcery really only have one “archetype” that is available to them under D&D rules: the Adventurer. Characters in 4e D&D are essentially Slayers characters, and run the gamut from Gourry to Lina Inverse. But those characters could be very easily rendered as the same character – Lina has more “spell” attacks, and Gourry has more “sword” attacks, but there's no real reason for them to have been differentiated in the rules. On the other hand, the core concept makes a lot more sense when you switch perspectives to something more like X-Men: every character has just one core power and all their maneuvers are different ways of using that power.

This core mechanic where a character is something and that allows them to have specific expendable abilities that

An Even Playing Field
You can lift a car? So what?

The Superheroic genre covers as much ground as folk tales do, as comics in fact are the folk tales of the modern age. And just as you wouldn't really have Prince Charming stand next to Gilgamesh if you wanted that to make any sense at all, putting superheroes on the “human” end next to superheroes on the “godlike” end of the scale makes for clumsy storytelling. Frankly, characters in the Gotham Bubble are basically normal people with crazy hats and they have no business being in the same room or even the same story as major characters from Metropolis who in turn are literally fighting space gods with their fists. And while you can put Batman and Superman in the same story, you can only do this with judicious use of author fiat. If one were to put things on objective criteria an allow dice to fall where they may the fact is that any attack capable of slightly phasing Superman would turn Batman into a thin red mist.

It is tempting to have different “power tiers” try to come in and represent the full gamut of potential power discrepancies between Green Arrow and Thor, but that's really pretty impractical. If the Green Lantern exists in the world somewhere it severely undermines the ability for Hawkeye to fight threats to world peace. The world that superheroes live in has cell phones and stuff. So it is imperative that characters be on a relatively even keel throughout the game world. Sure, some characters are more powerful than others, but if the band of potential power isn't fairly tight, it ends up like Watchmen where every single character spends their entire time trying to convince Dr. Manhattan to do stuff. As it happens, this particular game assumes that everyone is substantially superior to a human policeman or thug, but still forced to pay attention to one. In short: everyone lives in a comic book which might contain Spiderman, but which would not contain Galactus.

Agreements on the extent of power breadth have to be made as well. I mean seriously the Martian Manhunter has telepathy, recognition, shapechanging, super hearing, teleportion, atomic vision, flight, super strength, and honestly who knows what all else? Put up against a character like Bandit it becomes just ridiculous. In general, characters should expect to have the kind of power breadth of characters in the X continuity: that's simple enough that other players can follow along and remember what it is that your character can do.

And finally, agreements on the nature of the universe and the expectations of available resources and conduct have to be made. A world in which metahumans are hated and feared (like the X continuity) is very different from one where they are loved and respected (like Central City or Metropolis). A world where everyone with powers is a mutant (like the X world) or exposed to a special serum (like The Boys) or whatever provides a special point of view to how the characters interact with the world. A universe that has an entire alien race with the powers of Superman (or even Starfire) is inherently and permanently altered beyond recognition by the inclusion of each one. That kind of thing is fine for single author fiction like a comic book because extraneous character and alien powers can be ignored for the purposes of each individual story. But that just doesn't wash in a game. So here are some ground rules:
  • Magic exists. Some people have natural talent for it, and there are learnable secrets that allow you to become proficient with it. Also there are events, artifacts, confluences, and wahtever that can bestow magical talent onto “normal” people.
  • Psionic powers exist. Some people have them and other people do not. There are technological devices that expand people's natural psychic potential. Also psychic potential can be unlocked by trauma such as radiation, toxic chemicals, and whatever. Magic and psionics are not the same, and characters in the world can easily distinguish between them.
  • Super Science exists. Super science is very different from regular science. For one thing, it is almost never replicated. When people create devices, chemical compounds, and processes with super science it normally just gets used once or a couple of times and then is put away and forgotten about. It is important to remember that this happens for no reason. Maybe it turns out that the original super soldier program killed almost all of the participants (except the hero, naturally), or maybe the original plans were destroyed. But this is a story about champions fighting it out with villains, not one about incremental improvements to the quality of our standard of living and knowledge base. Sure the technology that allows your character's water cannon could probably save more people when given to the fire and water departments of the world's governments than your character could ever save from villainy by hand, but that's not the point.
  • There are aliens. Some of them are inherently competent, and some of them are inherently giant space monsters, but none of them are inherently super heroic. A character can be a super hero “because she is an alien princess” but not because she's an alien stock broker.
  • There are about 100,000 humans in the world for every metahuman. About one in ten metahumans are heroes. That means that a superhero is one in a million. Pure demographics would indicate that the Bay Area of California would have 8 or 9 superheroes and about 80 supervillains. That would be enough for about 2 supergroups and their associated nemeses. However, large urban areas also attract disproportionately more supers than rural zones, meaning that you can actually expect more like 12-20 superheroes in a major and famous urban area like the San Francisco Bay Area, with an accompanying lack of superheroes in places that are less “cool.” Even though demographically one might expect there to be like 4 superheroes in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, you're probably only seeing one or two heroes protecting it.
  • There are other universes. Prominent ones are the Evil Dimension, where things are a dark reflection of here and there is a copy of you that has all your abilities and is a total douchebag; the Demon World, where things are all on fire and evil monsters run amok hither and yon; the Astral Void, where everything is flooby and looks like it was drawn up by Kirby; and the Magic World, where no one has much technology more advanced than “advanced stick” and there are wizards and fairies and such.
Archetypes
Like a Character Class in D&D.

Every character has an Archetype. It determines what maneuvers are available to them as well as what defenses and movement powers they can choose from. There are three sample character names listed for each archetype. You're welcome to use these names for your own characters or as other supers running around in the world. Either way is fine.

Blaster
I make things explode.

A Blaster is a super whose primary power shoots energy at foes and makes them fall down. A Blaster is a heavily offensive archetype, and is weighted against defense. When in a super group, a Blaster is expected to knock suckers down but may rely upon compatriots for protection.
  • Defense Options: Forcefield, Magic Shield
    Movement Options: Flight, Speed
    Character Names: Brushfire, Positron, Thunderhead
Brick
It is in fact time for clobbering.

A Brick is a super whose powers give them great strength and toughness. Contrary to stereotypes, there is absolutely nothing that requires a brick character to be stupid.
  • Defense Options: Toughness, Psychic Wall
    Movement Options: Acrobatics
    Character Names: Holocaust, Magman, Wolframite
Cape
Up, up and away!

In many ways the most “standard” super hero, the Cape is a mixture of strength, flight, and laser blasts. Well rounded, Capes excel at not being overshadowed much in any endeavor, allowing them to operate alone better than many other heroes. And this means that many of the most remembered heroes are Capes.
  • Defense Options: Dodge, Toughness
    Movement Options: Flight
    Character Names: Captain Victory, Praetor, Queen Maive
Controller
Now I've got you!

The Controller literally controls specific things (weather, plants, and gravity being the most common), but it's a pun because their classic contribution to super conflicts is to control the battlefield with their animations and creations.
  • Defense Options: Magic Shield, Psychic Wall
    Movement Options: Speed, Teleport
    Character Names: Ice Princess, The Lorax, Mistletoe
Gadgeteer

A true self-made hero, the Gadgeteer uses his or her own inventions to fight their enemies. Whether using bombs or boomerangs or trick arrows, a gadgeteer's devices impede and capture villains.
  • Defense Options: Dodge, Forcefield
    Movement Options: Acrobatics, Speed
    Character Names: Artemis, Doctor Hexagon, Toybox
Mentalist

Using the augmented powers of the mind, the mentalist paralyzes and confuses foes.
  • Defense Options: Forcefield, Psychic Wall
    Movement Options: Teleport
    Character Names: The Bishop, Penumbra, Wet Noise
Monster

• Defense Options: Magic Shield, Toughness
    Movement Options: Acrobatics, Teleport
    Character Names: Marquis d'Mar, The Red Menace, Tiger Khan
Sorcerer

• Defense Options: Dodge, Magic Shield
    Movement Options: Flight, Teleport
    Character Names: Doctor Impossible, Metaman, Tesseract
Speedster

• Defense Options: Dodge, Psychic Wall
    Movement Options: Speed
    Character Names: The Blur, Punctual Lad, Snap
Suit

• Defense Options: Forcefield, Toughness
    Movement Options: Acrobatics, Flight
    Character Names: Bruce Avec Pitié , Circuit Breaker, Nemesis
Defenses
You can tell by the way I use my walk that I'm a woman's man. No time to talk.
  • Dodge The character is really fast, incredibly intuitive, or just highly trained. Most attacks do not connect. It is an effective defense against Power and Shadow attacks (which have a tendency to be slow and easier to dodge), but it's an ineffective defense against explosions or mental attacks (as they aren't readily sidestepped).
  • Force Field The character has a force field. Maybe it's shining energy, a distortion in the air, or only shimmeringly visible when resisting an attack, but it's always there. It is an effective defense against Electricity and Ice attacks as they are disrupted by the energy of the field; but Gas and Laser attacks are strong against it (as gas and light pass through fields normally).
  • Magic Shield The character is protected by defensive spells, charms, and sorcerous counterspells. This type of defense is best against Magic and Gas attacks for which counterspells are most effective; but Speed attacks usually land before utterances can be made and Ice attacks dampen magic as effectively as heat.
  • Psychic Wall The character's psychic powers put up a barrier around his mind and body that clouds and dampens incoming attacks. This is most effective against attacks with light (Laser) and Mental power, and is at its least effective against attacks that disrupt the mind (Electricity) or which are already made of darkness (Shadow).
  • Toughness The character is simply nigh invulnerable and shrugs off attacks without injury. This may be from powerful armor or merely personal damage resistance. This is most effective against attacks that rely on surety of impact such as Explosions and Speed attacks, and is at its worst against overwhelming attacks such as Power attacks or Magic attacks that target the spirit directly.
Movement Powers
It's not when you get there, it's how you get there.

Every character has access to a signature movement ability. Characters do not get two movement abilities nor do they get to trade their movement powers in for something else. This is not because every masked hero has had exactly one – indeed Superman quite famously has super speed and flight while The Green Hornet merely “owns a sweet car.” However this is a fairly important game play demand. The running battlefield that super heroes fight in is simply too massive and, well, mobile for a character to be able to contribute just standing around. And it's not just battlefields either. Crime happens on the other end of Manhattan all the time, and your character needs to be able to do something about that. Characters in single author fiction can often be carried by their flying compatriots, but that's really just unreasonable to demand in a cooperative storytelling game. Of course, this very same argument falls down when we're talking about Villains. The opposition really doesn't need to be able to deploy in a hurry, because the action starts wherever they happen to be robbing a bank or taking hostages. So while movement powers are not optional for heroes, they are optional for villains.
  • Acrobatics – characters with Acrobatics have super leaping, rope swinging, and/or climbing abilities. This is one of the slower ways for a super hero to cross the city, but it is also one of the safer. Characters with acrobatics abilities can catch themselves when falling or hurled into things better than other characters, and take less damage from falls and knockback.

Flight – characters who can fly can fly. They move through the air by their own impetus. This may be because of wings, jet packs, magic powers, or simply no reason (like Superman). Whether it uses props or not is largely a special effect – in any case flight fails if the character loses control over their movement. A flying character can hover if she wishes, but if dazed or entangled, she falls to the ground.

Speed – characters with super speed are able to move ridiculously fast. We're talking so fast that gravity physically can't pull their feet back to Earth fast enough for them to be able to continue taking steps while running at that speed. But it works anyway, and it does so for no reason. Maybe it's time manipulation, or psychic impulse or something, but mostly it relies heavily on Comic Science. The key features of Super Speed is that it goes very fast but it doesn't allow characters to move far away from surfaces.

Teleportation – characters with teleportation are able to move from one place to another without traveling through intermediate space. This is, of course, the fastest possible movement method, but it can't be used continuously so the maneuverability isn't up to any of the other movement powers.
Elective Movement Powers
Dude, I'm the Marquis of the Seas.

Crime hunters have access to a certain number of elective powers, and some of them are classified as movement powers. These powers are not always useful for chasing down criminals so these are in addition to the normal one super movement power that every character is required to have, not a replacement.
  • Dimension Shift – the character is able to move to one or more of the alternate worlds.

Insubstantiality – characters who can move insubstantially can pass through walls like a ghost. This is great for getting past barricades, but it doesn't inherently get you there any faster than just walking normally would.

Swimming – characters with swimming are able to move through the water at excessive speeds.

Tunneling – characters with tunneling can move through solid matter leaving a tunnel behind that others can see and even walk through. This sort of worm movement is actually quite slow, but it can be hard to catch up with.
Skills
It's not all blasting things with lightning bolts. Unfortunately.

-Username17
rapa-nui
Journeyman

Post by rapa-nui »

I've been playing Pokemon Pearl, that chart is handy.

They have a seriously complicated set of relationships: some attacks are strong against many things and weak against many thing, others has few weaknesses and few strengths, and finally others are weak to a lot of things and only strong against a few things BUT the few things they do hit have few other weaknesses.

All in all it's pretty interesting.

Of course, for a table-top RPG this is impractical because it makes it hell for a GM to balance the monster content of dungeons...

Frank, the outline you've presented is interesting. I take it the tactical complexity of the system would emerge from the details of exactly what forms these attacks and defenses would take? For example, Dodging mostly affects only a single character but a Psychic wall could be projected to protect a slew of civilians. Or maybe Shadow powers are easily maintained, but have limited range...
To the scientist there is the joy in pursuing truth which nearly counteracts the depressing revelations of truth. ~HP Lovecraft
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I'm liking this idea for the "Fantastic!" system.

The idea that "Monster" can be a superhero type is also interesting. I'd like to see what else you add to this system.

Honestly though... I'm kind of sad that the people who develop games are still doing so, while the Tome stuff that you and K started and fleshed out doesn't see appropriate amounts of use. On the other hand, you're doing something useful and productive that will actually help people.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Bigode wrote:Surgo, how dare you not post
I was looking for an RBY version, and that was the only one I could find nowadays.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

FrankTrollman wrote:Well for now I would recommend Champions, on the grounds that it is playable, up and running, and quite good. It's kind of math-heavy during char gen for many people, so I understand if you have trouble getting people to jump on that bandwagon. But inspired as I was by your vote of confidence I went and put a couple thousand words to paper this morning on the subject. Here's how far I got:

[Fantastic! stuff]
Cool, thanks for the recommendation, Frank. I like your list of superhero archetypes. Dr. Horrible, it seems, would be a Gadgeteer, using the awesome power of super science, which I think is an excellent way to describe how scientists in these worlds build machines that give crazy psychic powers or serums that allow one to completely exceed the bounds of human endurance but do not, for example, cure cancer. As fun as this system looks, it's always those twenty pages of maneuvers/powers that take the most time but actually make a system playable. And we can't just use 4E's maneuver lists, because as previously discussed, those are actually all for only one archetype, the Adventurer. Ah well. Time to investigate Champions.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman wrote:Controller
Character Names: ... The Lorax
that is some combination of sad and awesome... I'm just not sure of the individual percentages...[/u]
Last edited by Prak on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

The Monster has teleport. It doesn't seem to fit the variety I've seen in DC and Marvel. Given a tad freely here, no?
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

If the monster can include horror movie monsters, it makes a lot of sense. How many times do they wander out of the shot and all of sudden they are right in the hero's blind spot?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The monster archetype doesn't just cover Etrigan and Namor, it also covers a bunch of Nippon comic characters like Ryoko and Naruto.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

shau wrote:If the monster can include horror movie monsters, it makes a lot of sense. How many times do they wander out of the shot and all of sudden they are right in the hero's blind spot?
Hm. Perhaps it's a misconception about the capability of teleport.
I was thinking in D&D terms, which is probably very bad, but also much like the "boom tubes" and Nightcrawler.

In terms of short range ambushes it would make sense as a means to represent 'sneaky' or 'predatory'.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Frank, two questions both prefaced with 'How in the shit...'

1) do you just throw together rpg stuff?

2) do you manage to cut off the end of paragraphs? (Second paragraph of the forward for reference.)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The answer to both is the same. I write stream of consciousness once I've put some ideas together. What this means is that I can write things really fast, but I also have a bunch of things in skeleton format. And of course that was just one morning's burst of writing, so it's a little less than 3k words and is still very skeletal.

One thing that I do is start paragraphs as place holders so that I remember later what is supposed to go there when I have a better idea of what I want to put there.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

One thing that I do is start paragraphs as place holders so that I remember later what is supposed to go there when I have a better idea of what I want to put there.
Shit. That's the thing that I never do. I always get my ideas for stories in "chunks" and the parts in between I don't have fleshed out.

I need to just write the chunks down that I've got playing over and over and over in my head.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Ah, so thats where the partial paragraphs are from. That always struck me as odd.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I always thought that they were the begining of an idea, but that what was written was all that had been thought of at the time and that it would be filled in later.

Like notes for a story or a plan for the future, you mark landmarks, but not every milestone.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

FrankTrollman wrote:The answer to both is the same. I write stream of consciousness once I've put some ideas together. What this means is that I can write things really fast, but I also have a bunch of things in skeleton format. And of course that was just one morning's burst of writing, so it's a little less than 3k words and is still very skeletal.
I've realized as of late that this is the essential part of writing fast.
We probably write at similar speeds, but without an outline one can only ramble.
Well, that, and you edit better. I look twice and go "Welp! Looks just as good as it did last week!" but then realize how much something sucks ass a year later.