NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

Um... what's "Suit?"
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

NoDot wrote:Um... what's "Suit?"
Iron Man, The Black Knight, Irma Gaeddon, Wolf Spider, Tec Knight, Mega Man, Samus.

-Username17
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

Ah, that explains things.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

What about Spiderman in the Venom suit?
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

sigma999 wrote:What about Spiderman in the Venom suit?
I'm not as well-versed in Spiderman as I could be, but the Venom suit is not a Suit. A Suit, as I understand it, is a Power Suit, one driven by awesome technology and arc fusion generators. When you're in a Suit, you get smacked through multiple buildings and don't die because you're encased in crazy awesome technology. When Spidey, or Spidey in the Venom suit, gets smacked through multiple buildings, he doesn't die because he's the Spiderman, bitch, and is already mega hardcore to begin with. Suits are often just normal people with crazy awesome technology attached, that's the key.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

But Venom is a normal guy with the suit making him powerful.

Sure, he's a man larger than Peter Parker is, but he's not a meta human to begin with.

Likewise with Carnage, he's just a serial killer with a suit of tentril and weapon armour.

Suits can be biological. Look at Guyver, and in a way the Evangelions (needs to mesh with 'armour', control with thought (those Waldo controls are sort of limited in terms of how much movement you should be able to acheive with them), share pain/damage).
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You could also argue that the symbiont is the super hero/villain, and that the person who is currently bonded with it (Venom: Pete then Eddie*, Carnage: Cassidy, and in an alternate universe, Pete. And in one Spiderman card, no idea if it appeared in an AU comic, Kingpin) is just a sort of visual feature.

I mean, it didn't really alter Spiderman's power much, just gave a little boost, and basically did the same things except turned him into a bigger jerk than normal. But then Venom went from "ordinary, if large, guy with a bad personality" to "Outclassing Spidey, bigger jerk/totally batshit, similar powers still".

So the character could really be the symbiont, just with different people wearing it when necessary, and gaining the relevant powers (at basically the same power level) and taking on the personality of the magic space ooze.

*Holy shit, I just realised. Eddie/Zato-1 in Guilty Gear is basically Venom. I mean, he has the black ooze which covers him at times and is used to make weapon attacks and stuff, and it took over his personality. And the demon-ooze is the one called Eddie. Zato-1 is the human (must've had really mean parents). I only just got the Spider Man reference there.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

I'm not really sure if "suit" should actually be a character type, simply because characters in suits don't necessarily have powers unique to one class. You can have a suit that makes you a brick, you can have a suit that makes you a blaster and so on.

Really, suit is a disadvantage like gadgeteer. It's saying that if for whatever reason you're caught without your toys, that you basically can't use any of your powers, just like Batman is weaker if you attack him as Bruce Wayne.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

For another example of Suit, check out "Abara" by Tsutomu Nihei.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5051/itou5tu2.jpg

There's a dude in there. He looks normal but he's mutated by a mysterious infection that allows him to sprout black extra bone growth from his ribs (abara in Japanese) and cover his whole body, the Black Gauna.
He fights the White Gauna race, humans infected by a similar growth yet radically more hostile and fatal to the human populous.
Pretty much Guyver on LSD... with better art.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Venom is a Monster. Many "suits" are like Megaman - thy are actually just robots. The Suit archetype is a cape/gadgeteer pastiche in the same way that a Monster is like a cross between a brick and a sorcerer.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Ok, so ....

The archetype, not the equipment
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So, say I want to play as someone who has a Howitzer grafted to his back, and uses the cannon as a:
melee weapon (club - look at the length of the barrel)
ranged weapon (that also sends him sliding back a fair distance, possibly even allowing a weird "You charge one person for a slam attack, and blow someone up in the opposite direction")
Shield (it's made of harder stuff than people are)
Jump pack (pole vault + rocket jump, continue flight via air-striking)
Concealment (clouds of smoke when it fires)

What character type are we looking at there? Suit?

And, understanding that I'm obviously going to need to fill in the flavour myself (as opposed to picking the "You have a cannon on your back" power, located between "You have a cancer that leaps onto other people and eats them" and "You have a carnivorous aardvark for a pet" - I get that we're not listing millions of specifics), such a character IS possible, right?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

That certainly sounds like a Toughness/Flight Suit that took a bunch of ranged attacks.

-Username17
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Koumei wrote:So, say I want to play as someone who has a Howitzer grafted to his back, and uses the cannon as a:
melee weapon (club - look at the length of the barrel)
ranged weapon (that also sends him sliding back a fair distance, possibly even allowing a weird "You charge one person for a slam attack, and blow someone up in the opposite direction")
Shield (it's made of harder stuff than people are)
Jump pack (pole vault + rocket jump, continue flight via air-striking)
Concealment (clouds of smoke when it fires)

60 Multipower Reserve Howitzer Grafted to Back Powers
-4u Cannon Club +12d6 Hand Attack (60 active,-1/2 mandatory HA limitation, 40 real)
-6u Howitzer Shot 12d6 EB
-6u Air-Striking Jump +30" flight
additional powers:
30 Large Hunk of Metal in place of fragile spine 10/10 armor
20 Where's there's fire, there's smoke Darkness vs Sight and Smell groups, 2" radius

:bored:
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Needing a rules light superhero game that isn't Marvel SAGA, I thought about using Fantastic's diagram with SR dice pools and two stats: attack and defense.

I was going to make a normal person 3/3, a blaster 6/4, a brick 4/6, and a cape 5/5. Using the correct mode gives a +2

I was wondering about the flexibility of the attack modes. Would fire be classified as explosion, super strength as power, and bullets as speed?
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

SN wrote:Needing a rules light superhero game that isn't Marvel SAGA, I thought about using Fantastic's diagram with SR dice pools and two stats: attack and defense.

I was going to make a normal person 3/3, a blaster 6/4, a brick 4/6, and a cape 5/5. Using the correct mode gives a +2
Sounds functional.
I was wondering about the flexibility of the attack modes. Would fire be classified as explosion, super strength as power, and bullets as speed?
Pretty much, yeah.

-Username17