The X virtuous men of history or whatever

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I don't understand everyone's fascination with boring myths with intentionally opaque morals.

-Crissa
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Caliborn: presenting Goblins. But as for your argument, the moment you say "omniscience", it instantly goes sour.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Why is that? Anyway my spiel is not dependent on God knowing the outcome of Job's trials. Assuming God doesn't know the future, which is stupid since God is not constrained by time as we know it, does make Him seem reckless with human lives, but over all He was still benevolent.

As to the fate of Job's children, all humans die sooner or later(except for Elijah and Enoch anyway), and the kids were righteous people in their own right, not to mention daddy was always watching their spiritual backs, so after hanging around in Sheol for the next couple millennia they ended up in heaven with all the other righteous, law obeying Jews, including Job, their mom(presumably), and the other kids(also presumably).
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Biblegod is demonstrably neither omniscient nor omnipotent.

(Edit: I should perhaps mention that I use "Biblegod" to refer to God as described in the Big Black Sleeping Pill, as opposed to an actual divine being.)
Caliborn wrote:Assuming God doesn't know the future, which is stupid since God is not constrained by time as we know it, does make Him seem reckless with human lives, but over all He was still benevolent.
Do tell. Here's a stripped-down version of the Book of Job (King Talisman Version)
YHWH: Satan, buddy, have you seen Job? He's awesome. Totally loyal.
Satan: Really? I bet I can make him loose faith in you.
YHWH: Sure, go ahead and try, but you're not allowed to hurt him.
Satan: Fair enough.

Satan slaughters Job's animals.
Satan murders Job's servants.
Satan murders Job's children.

YHWH: Well, you screwed him over pretty good but he's still loyal!
Satan: Maybe he's just a sociopath who doesn't care about others. Let me hurt him, and I guarantee he'll bitch you out.
YHWH: Go for it. But you can't actually kill him.
Satan: You got it, boss.

Satan afflicts Job with cancer.

Job: Aaaaauugh! I'm poor, my children are dead, and I'm in constant agony! YHWH, why won't you let me die? I wish I had never been born!

(insert long philosophical conversation here)

Satan: Whew! You were right; that guy's either rock-stubborn or totally whipped.
YHWH: Yeah, he's my homie.

YHWH cures Job's cancer and gives him much material wealth and doubles his lifespan. After many years Job learned to deal with the grief and the loss of his children.
Biblegod comes across as a dick here because he decides to murder Job's family and the innocent, unassociated servants, and to - let's be frank - torture Job merely to see whether Job remains faithful. If Biblegod is omniscient or unconstrained by time, he does not need to do this: he's freakin' God! He just knows that Job is faithful.

If Biblegod is not omniscient, this comes across as petty and unnecessarily cruel. Torture a faithful follower to see whether he remains faithful? That's downright evil, whatever amends you try to make afterward. Biblegod and Job seem to have the classic abuser/victim relationship here: Biblegod abuses Job to test his love, and Job remains faithful because "He's God; he knows what I deserve," even as he genuinely wishes for death.
As to the fate of Job's children, all humans die sooner or later(except for Elijah and Enoch anyway), and the kids were righteous people in their own right, not to mention daddy was always watching their spiritual backs, so after hanging around in Sheol for the next couple millennia they ended up in heaven with all the other righteous, law obeying Jews, including Job, their mom(presumably), and the other kids(also presumably).
That's damn cold.
I guess that means it's acceptable to murder good people because they go to Heaven, right?
Last edited by Talisman on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I probably have posted this before, but it works here too, so I'm doing this again.

In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

I forgot that existed. Thanks for doing my job better than I'd be able to.

Caliborn: if you wanna discuss YHWH's alignment not having an "E", feel free to start here.
Last edited by Bigode on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Crissa wrote:I don't understand everyone's fascination with boring myths with intentionally opaque morals.

-Crissa
When Edmund Hillary was asked why he climbed Everest, he said it was because it was there.

Mostly my fascination with religion is for this reason.

Wait... that's a lie. I, as a kid, was damnably devout. LIke many, I read and searched later and found myself to be... a pantheistic agnostic something. I hate labels.

But I have a child. and I have a devout Hindu family on my side and I have a Christian (at-times devout) family on my wife's side. This is not just about raising her into religion. Religion is also about culture, in my opinion. I try to find answers still so that I can satisfy myself so that I can have a nice and loving relationship with my large family.

That last sentence seems weird because it might seem all of this shouldn't even come in the way of a "nice and loving relationship' but, let's be realistic, it does. So I do what I do.

Oh, on a tangent that goes back to my Edmund Hillary quote, I'm pretty sure he probably didn't say that and it was probably just a press release someone made up. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

No, I'm pretty sure he said that.

But he didn't walk across deserts because they were there. And I'd find that far more interesting than religion.

Then again, I find religion more like a club that's bashing in my head.

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Crissa wrote:Then again, I find religion more like a club that's bashing in my head.
When nobody's trying to convert you, religions can be beautiful. An incredible amount of art has been inspired by religion. I'd be surprised if the majority of art in the world wan't religiously inspired. A lot of it is even good art. Cathedrals, temples, hymns, statues, paintings, good fiction... the list goes on.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

The assumption that the art and the energy and wealth used to create it simply would not exist without religion is really a very large assumption.

The fact that such art exists among all religions and also independent of religion would suggest it is a natural element of human society with no particularly divine association.

In the mean time we KNOW that religions are highly oppressive towards artists and artistic traditions and regularly kill artists and destroy priceless works of art and limit what can be created and who gets to see it.

I'm pretty happy to call religion a loss on the art and beauty front without any real fear of being wrong.
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Crissa wrote:Then again, I find religion more like a club that's bashing in my head.
When nobody's trying to convert you, religions can be beautiful. An incredible amount of art has been inspired by religion. I'd be surprised if the majority of art in the world wan't religiously inspired. A lot of it is even good art. Cathedrals, temples, hymns, statues, paintings, good fiction... the list goes on.
And for the longest period of time organised religion held an awful lot of money with which to commission works of art. The works of man can inspire awe, and it is by awe that many religions commission the dedication of man.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

You know in fact. It is a lot like saying, man those nazi's were bad, but you got to appreciate the artistic beauty of their propaganda posters.

In fact, its EXACTLY like that.

Edit: no one is allowed to call Godwin's law on this. Because I called it first.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

When someone tries to bash my head in, I either find it amusing, or am absolutely forced to get interested, so I fail to see a contradiction. :P
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Crissa wrote: Then again, I find religion more like a club that's bashing in my head.

-Crissa
Religion is a club that bashes your head, YES, YES, and a RESOUNDING FUCKING YES.

But, discourse about the hand that wields the club and discourse about how to gentle that club.

Discourse to keep it sane.

Discourse to keep us all in there and to soften this club from a morningstar into a quarterstaff or a foam-stick is great. Hell, if it could be a cheerleader's baton in the end that actually exhilirates, I would be happy. That is what this is about. discourse.

I mean, we aren't actually using discourse to talk about it. we are vilifying religion because we are talking about it's protection racket angles. but if you talk about the bad. maybe you can bring out the good later.

that's my vew.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

A_Cynic wrote:Discourse to keep us all in there and to soften this club from a morningstar into a quarterstaff or a foam-stick is great. Hell, if it could be a cheerleader's baton in the end that actually exhilirates, I would be happy.
Best metaphor I heard in ... a long time.

In other news: God vs. the Bible's fvcking awesome.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

If you're looking for some good, old-fashioned lulz about the Bible for my money you can't beat Mark Twain and Thomas Paine. Thomas Jefferson, when he wasn't raping slaves, had some scatching things to say about theism as well.

Notably, Thomas Paine's lulz apparently inspired so much butthurt that Theodore Roosevelt suddenly paused in the middle of a speech one time to talk about what a filthy atheist he was. /b/ wishes they could troll beyond the grave that hard.

I always hated the story of Job, because it turned Job's family into...things that don't matter, just objects/treasures to be taken and away and then replaced because Job's been a good boy. If I remember right, they're all killed, but it's all right because Job proves his faith and he gets a new family, so everything's just hunky-dory.
That's called values dissonance, good buddy. Back then, children and wives WERE considered possessions. That's why Job had several of them. God sets your X-Box 360 and your D&D books on fucking fire then the next day gives your infant son sonic diarrhea. But suck enough celestial cock and it's all good in the hood. I gotz sparez, bitches!
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I'd also like to point out the fact that if Genesis is to be believed, God completely and totally fucked up the order in which things are supposed to be created.

Like, it's so screwy that it's just embarrassing. I seriously believe that a 2nd grader would do a better job if he had a list of things he needed to do.

I mean, fucking seriously, plants before there was a sun? The EARTH before there was any light? What, did he just work in the dark? What if one mountain range ended up looking like a penis from outer space? How the fuck could you make light separate from the sun? So the sun doesn't give off any fucking light now? It's just some ornament that doesn't really do anything?

C'mon, even a small child would've made the flowering plants, reptiles, and insects come before the birds. This is just ridiculous on a Biblical scale. Well, it is the Bible so joke's on me I guess.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

PhoneLobster wrote:You know in fact. It is a lot like saying, man those nazi's were bad, but you got to appreciate the artistic beauty of their propaganda posters.

In fact, its EXACTLY like that.

Edit: no one is allowed to call Godwin's law on this. Because I called it first.
Actually, I do appreciate the aesthetics of WW2 propaganda posters, and my girlfriend is a fan of fascist architecture. That doesn't mean that we're fascist (or communist, or capitalist) any more than we're religious.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

But my point is when someone says "Nazis kill people"

You don't go "AHA!, But what about... this poster! In your face, anti Nazi, this poster is proof of how Nazis had an overall positive role".

Does the poster outweigh the bad things they did?

If they didn't make the poster would another piece of equal, or even better art have existed in its place?

You can sit me down and say "Micheal Angelo painted for the Church, Bitch!"

I'm going to regard the argument as dumb as hell until you come back with a picture that God painted himself, the lazy insane bastard.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Fair enough. The art doesn't excuse the atrocities.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I'd also like to point out the fact that if Genesis is to be believed, God completely and totally fucked up the order in which things are supposed to be created.
Which time?
You mean in Genesis 1, where Biblegod creates:

Plants (day 3);
then fish and birds (day 5);
then animals (fish and birds are not animals, apparently; day 6);
then man and woman (both from dust; also day 6).

Or Genesis 2, where Biblegod creates:

Man (day 3);
Then plants (day 4);
Then animals (day 5);
Then woman (from man's rib; day 6).
CatharzGodfoot wrote:Fair enough. The art doesn't excuse the atrocities.
I think it's a matter of looking for something good in a bad situation.

"Well, that movie sucked, but I thought the CGI was good."

That sort of thing.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Perhaps but you see the church brings us art argument is essentially that without the church we wouldn't get the art.

You may say the CGI in the sucky movie was good but you DON'T say...

"Thank goodness for that totally sucky movie, without it surely that somewhat comparatively good CGI would not have existed. It most certainly would never have been used to make a non-sucky movie even better instead! And surely that okay CGI would NOT have been totally even more excellent if only it wasn't animating JarJar Binks."

Some people say, oh look at the spectacular religious art works of Leonardo, you know, the last supper, and I say, do you know how much fricking NECROMANCY that guy did to get good? Can you imagine what he might of painted for different less religious patrons? Can you imagine what he might have painted for himself?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Fuck Job. I mean, yes, that book is a fuckjob and Job didn't deserve any of that shit but that's nothing compared to some of the bullshit you'll find in Judges.

I mean, Jesus fucknuts, God actually sends an angel down to punish the Israelites for failing to complete genocide! What the fuck?

Oh, and pretty much one of the most disgusting things I've ever read happens in Judges 19. I don't even want to talk about it. No justice, no feeling or sympathy or remorse. God just rolls up to your face after inspiring about something that's too gross to even appear in Hostel and tells you to discuss and consider it.

Let's just say that if you posted the worst parts of FATAL in the middle of that chapter, the aggregate of the new work would be more morally pure. That's how fucking wrong and twisted this book is.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, Judges 19 speaks to me of an evil god. But I have hope, because of Judges 1:19.

-Username17
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

PhoneLobster wrote:
Perhaps but you see the church brings us art argument is essentially that without the church we wouldn't get the art.

You may say the CGI in the sucky movie was good but you DON'T say...

"Thank goodness for that totally sucky movie, without it surely that somewhat comparatively good CGI would not have existed. It most certainly would never have been used to make a non-sucky movie even better instead! And surely that okay CGI would NOT have been totally even more excellent if only it wasn't animating JarJar Binks."

Some people say, oh look at the spectacular religious art works of Leonardo, you know, the last supper, and I say, do you know how much fricking NECROMANCY that guy did to get good? Can you imagine what he might of painted for different less religious patrons? Can you imagine what he might have painted for himself?
I'm not arguing with you; I'm just saying the "the church brings us art" argument is essentially looking for some good in a bad situation.
FrankTrollman wrote:Yeah, Judges 19 speaks to me of an evil god. But I have hope, because of Judges 1:19.

-Username17
Got your iron chariot?
Last edited by Talisman on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.