I want to say 'superhero'.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

I want to say 'superhero'.

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Why the crap am I not allowed to say superhero in a derivative work? Whose ass do I have to kick to make this happen?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Marvel and DC jointly own the word Superhero and have a trade mark on that terminology.

So, basically you need IFF Help.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

How the crap do they get away with that?

Everyone says the word 'superhero'. You'd think that there would be a huge public outcry over this. But then again, this is the first time I heard about it so still.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago wrote:How the crap do they get away with that?
You mean because Trademarks are either owned or not owned, and there's no such fucking thing as a joint trademark ownership? Especially not when there's clearly demonstrable prior art in the public god damn domain? Blame Mickey Mouse. Seriously.

Marvel and DC stole the word and retroactively trademarked it. And the government totally went for it back in 1979
Everyone says the word 'superhero'. You'd think that there would be a huge public outcry over this. But then again, this is the first time I heard about it so still.
Because it only applies to:
Publications, but basically comic books and magazines. Also, cardboard stand-up figures, playing cards, paper iron-on transfers, erasers, pencil sharpeners, pencils, notebooks, stamp albums, and costumes.
So if you have a newspaper article about superheroes, hell even if you have a movie, you can use the word superhero to your heart's content. Indeed, when you write a newspaper article about superheroes, you're in the clear.

Really the only thing it applies to is the people who make superhero pajamas or comics. And honestly, no one cares what those people think. You can make a superhero roleplaying game, you just can't label it a superhero role playing game. That's why Champions is called "The Super Role Playing Game!" It's not called the superhero RPG, because that's a breach of copyright,. But it still uses the word Superhero indiscriminately within the text, because trademarks don't affect the inner text of a book - only the advertising packaging. Furthermore, the slashfic mark for superheroes is "CB" for "comic book" and not "SH" for "superhero" to comply with trademarks. But of course, they use the word superhero inside those slashfics constantly and that is OK.

So the only people who really get the shaft are independent comic producers like Image, who are barred by law from advertising themselves as producers of "superhero comics." And since no one gives a flying fuck if the writers of Savage Dragon are happy or sad, the situation just rumbles forward.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

How about "superheroic", "superpowered hero", "superheroine" or other such "we're dancing around the boundary" terms?

Aside from that, I agree. That's just dumb, and they're being dicks. I was never a fan of trademarks/copyright in general, and this is a good example of why.

Also, one of them managed to copyright the silly little cardboard cut-out things that you could theoretically use in place of Hero-clix. You know, where you fold it along the middle and it has a picture of the hero on either side? No really, they copyrighted that. Because obviously they invented such an idea.

Brb, copyrighting the d6. I'm going to make a fucking mint.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

One of your fellows seems to have patented the circular transportation facilitation device. Though maybe an expansion patent can still be made for use in torture, if you wanna try.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

Damn. Copyrights don't even do that.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I'm glad someone finally patented the wheel. I mean, it's absurd that we don'y pay fees to use absolutely everything ever.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

Patents are for sissies. I'm copyrighting the wheel. Given how long it's been since Steamboat Willie, my descendants will be living the sweet life forever.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei wrote: Brb, copyrighting the d6. I'm going to make a fucking mint.
Fuck your shit good madam, I'll copyright the dπ (d-pi) and make billions.
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

I'm just going to copyright the letter D. Then all you d# copyholders will have to pay me.

I think I'll also copyright the letters 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 20.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Beer.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Maj wrote:Beer.
Thanks! *drinks beer* :viking:

Now, where were we?
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Talisman wrote:I think I'll also copyright the letters 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 20.
You go do that. How about the numbers?

Also, the colour purple is a trademark under the Cadbury group of Schweppes.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I think Mauna Loa has trademarked their blue, too (under Hershey's).
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Koumei wrote:
Talisman wrote:I think I'll also copyright the letters 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 20.
You go do that. How about the numbers?
:P

A number is a concept. Maybe I'll go with the numerals instead.

Hey Maj! More beer! :thumb:
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I'll copyright the word "Talisman" so that even if he complains about said madgrab for dominance I get paid in the process.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

A madgrab for dominance of Talisman, Sigma? I thought you liked women, and were even committed to one ...
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Bigode wrote:A madgrab for dominance of Talisman, Sigma? I thought you liked women, and were even committed to one ...
It's the internet. everythign is always the opposite of what you think it is!
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Bigode wrote:A madgrab for dominance of Talisman, Sigma? I thought you liked women, and were even committed to one ...
Context, Biggy. Read it again.

Yes though I am with a lovely girl.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

And now I'm "Biggy". :bolt: