New Versions of the "Frank (& Den) 40k Game"

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

New Versions of the "Frank (& Den) 40k Game"

Post by Judging__Eagle »

"Aliens"

You play colonial spess mehrines, your weapon chioices are more limited than in the Warp Cult game, but your gear options are more powerful. Stuff like

Smart-guns (A stub gun or bolter that has awareness score and a firing score, put it in place, and it shoots hostiles. Hostiles are people not carrying a certain type of electric device, so the gun is targeting with sonar, or something that is always producing a certain frequency, and if the smartguns don't hear an object ping back with a specific extra frequency, then they open fire. I'm not sure if that's utterly BS as an idea or not, wait, sonar is part of the EM spectrum. Grunts combat/armour jackets are lined with tons of tiny LED lights; when they're in the middle of their own Smart-Gun nest, their jackets give off light in pre-timed intervals in rapid bursts so that the marine's location is always trackable by the cameras that these smart-guns are using to look and aim with.

Basically, marines with a combat vest that is working, aren't targetable by the smart guns that any smart-gun that has been set-up

Pintle-mounted heavy guns: Heavy bolters or heavy stubbers/auto-guns carried by belts and shoulder harnesses. Either walking doesn't impose aiming penalties since the gun is always being held in the same place in the air. Your legs/hips hold the weight, and your arms just adjust it's position.

Flamers Roughly Same as in 40k. Adjust re-loading, since in all of the Alien movies the flamers seemed to last forever. Can be attached to normal machine guns, usually this isn't done.

Power armour (that "robot suit" from Japan is pretty promising; it's interesting how several sources in the world are creating types of powered exoskeletons for humans; in the US there's the giant black back-pack thing that attaches to the legs and allows the user to carry much more than the suit's own weight).

Grunts can carry more ammo, armour and not get slowed down. They're louder though

Other things: no mutations, flaws are stuff like "mysoginst" or "coward" or "pervert"; stuff you tend to see as character flaws in a movie like Aliens, or Doom or Predator.

Last night I got distracted watching all the footage that I could about Boston Dynamics "Big Dog" walking robot. The thing walks on ice, through snow, up hills; can take a forceful kick from human and keep walking. Since the way that it moves is very natural you get some really wierd uncanny valley sensations watching it; since it's basically a giant metal rig with four legs and a couple hundred pounds strapped to it as "weight" to test its balancing ability.

Which means that the idea for the other game using the Warp Cult system was forgotten. :sad:

Something with shooting. I think, and not a buddy-war movie. I must have been really tired last night.

Nm, it was Gantz. Gantz could be done as variation of the Warp Cult rules.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
cthulhu
Duke

Re: New Versions of the "Frank (& Den) 40k Game&

Post by cthulhu »

Judging__Eagle wrote:"Aliens"
Grunts combat/armour jackets are lined with tons of tiny LED lights; when they're in the middle of their own Smart-Gun nest, their jackets give off light in pre-timed intervals in rapid bursts so that the marine's location is always trackable by the cameras that these smart-guns are using to look and aim with.
I wouldn't bother. Just give them a future version of the IFF beacons that are used in jet fighters today: basically both beacons are loaded with a set of crypto keys in advice, and when the 'challenger' (the smart gun) is about to fire, it sends a 'challenge' to the target, which, if it can decode the challenge, will send back the correct response and the smart gun will know it is a friendly.

Can use whatever channel you want, (currently microwaves for planes), so it can work without line of sight, which is damn useful.

There would also be a manual fallback 'safe passage' procedure so you didn;t get shot if you'd broken your beacon - probably something like hands straight up in the air and walking slowly
Flamers Roughly Same as in 40k. Adjust re-loading, since in all of the Alien movies the flamers seemed to last forever. Can be attached to normal machine guns, usually this isn't done.
Real flamers use a shitload of fuel really quickly and are mostly effective because they are so scary. Once one guy gets toasted, you tend to increase the number of people who surrender massively.

As such they probably wouldn;t rock that hard against real aliens.
Last edited by cthulhu on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Makes sense.

I just wasn't sure what, if any, type of method is currently in use for FoF detection for sensory equipment.

On flamers; I forget how often Ripley uses hers in the end of the second movie, but it seems like that thing just doesn't run out of fuel. In the book for the first movie; the captain is described as sending out a gout of flame before crawling a few more feet forward.

I was trying to capture the sources, where the characters are never seen refueling their flamers and they last a whole scene. Oh, there's the rule then.

Flamers: If you equip one, its fuel lasts the whole scene you are currently in, and you make your ammunition check at the end of the current scene. If you do not fire the flamer during that scene, you do not have to make an ammunition check.

Going for cinematic, and these things are getting used on things that will shred you in close range anyway. So having a ton more damage available for those last few yards as they close in on your team is going to matter.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
JonSetanta
King

Re: New Versions of the "Frank (& Den) 40k Game&quo

Post by JonSetanta »

Judging__Eagle wrote: Grunts can carry more ammo, armour and not get slowed down. They're louder though
Try using muzzles. They work wonders.

If all else fails cut the tongues out and stitch their mouths.

Aliens > Gantz for obvious reasons; gritty realism and hard scifi are always better than a magic cybersuit and "laggy guns" that a sleeping cyborg shat out even for a panda and a dog.

+10 respect for Smartguns. Shit rocks.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I meant in the sense that the grunts wear noisy power armour. Not that they're actually noisy. You tell any gung-ho motherfucker that a half-ton of silent acid-blooded death is stalking the corridors and they tend to shut right the hell up.

Except that really.... power armour will be designed to not make noise, seeing as the current prototypes don't even make a ton of noise.

I was also thinking about how androids/servitors would work. I mean, every movie had a 'droid, or, the first 2 did at least. I don't know about the 4th one, I never saw it.