The GOP's demographics are against them.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

The GOP's demographics are against them.

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So what are they gonna do with being virtually locked out of the youth vote and alienating the fastest growing population subgroup?

I mean, just judging by the numbers, the GOP is facing a death spiral--pretty much the only way they can win is by continually appealing to the base, which is shrinking.

Serves 'em right.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I wish I had your confidence. I see more and more inbred meth-addicted hicks who are more than willing to give up all chances of prosperity and see our environment raped to death if it means that "them thar [EDITED] can't git married HYUK HYUK HYUK!"
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Hard as it might have seemed with the 2008 election, being anti-LGBT rights is a losing proposition in the long run. What with decreased religiousity and greater tolerance.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

Count Arioch lives out in Hicksville, VA, which gives him a completely different perspective on Virginians and the country as a whole than what I have in North Virginia, which is, in fact, part of the North. The things that cause me to lose faith in democracy here are actually retards who worship the very ground Obama treads on without having any understanding of the issues at all. That and our wonderful, democratically elected school board "representatives". My representative decided to redistrict my high school to boost the test scores of the school he really represents, which only has the IB program and would keep name_here from getting a decent math education, and chose the neighborhoods to be redistricted by talking to the PTA at the school we were officially moved to.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

What really gets me is the Rush Limbaugh idea of rebuilding the party -- seeing as how the conservative message failed, his idea is to get more conservative.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Lago is right when he says stuff like
Lago wrote:virtually locked out of the youth vote and alienating the fastest growing population subgroup?
and
Lago wrote:being anti-LGBT rights is a losing proposition in the long run.
The thing is, the GOP got hammered these last few elections, and rightfully so, but their demise, while inevitable, is not right now; it's many decades from now. Because the United States is a conservative country. And, even more interesting, the United States is not a liberal country. 40% of people are conservative. 40% are moderate. And the remaining 20% are liberals. Not exactly great numbers for the Democrats. Obama will have his eight years, and there will probably be a democratic president for at least another four years after that, but the Republicans will begin to make gains in Congress, and soon (in political terms) they'll be back at full strength.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

I'm not even sure tracking people who identify themselves as "liberal" is really useful. After all, people on the left have started running from the scarlet L and calling themselves "progressives."

And even if your poll numbers are accurate, the GOP still has problems. I remember a recent poll (which I can't dig up online now) which found that Democratic voters in 2008 were almost evenly split between moderates and liberals, with a healthy conservative representation (something like 36% liberal, 34% moderate and 20% conservative, IIRC). Republican voters, OTOH, were something like 67% conservative. So if you're a moderate, which party's more welcoming of you? The fact that most of the GOP is buying into the idea that they need to become more conservative to win spells major problems for them.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Gelare wrote:Because the United States is a conservative country. And, even more interesting, the United States is not a liberal country. 40% of people are conservative. 40% are moderate. And the remaining 20% are liberals.
Not even close to being true. The Democratic Party's official position on nearly every issue is the more popular one nationally, gay marriage being the most obvious exception (and that will be the majority position within 20 years).

Many, many people who consider them "moderates" (even a fair number of "conservatives") would, if you asked them issue by issue what they are in favor of, would be considered flaming liberals. They just don't like the word.

Beyond that, the GOP isn't a particularly conservative party. It's the less fiscally conservative party in the US, it takes, by far, the less conservative policy on foreign affairs. The only manner the modern GOP is still conservative is on social issues, which is sad because those positions typically involve actively hurt people without any real benefit to anyone.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Neeeek wrote:It's the less fiscally conservative party in the US, it takes, by far, the less conservative policy on foreign affairs.
Could you elaborate?
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

On fiscal conservatism: The biggest deficits of the last 40 years have been run up by Republican presidents (Reagan and Bush 43).

On foreign policy, I asume Neeek is taking the position that isolationism = conservative and interventionism = liberal. By that standard, George W. Bush had the most liberal foreign policy since FDR, with his policy of preemptive strikes to spread democracy in the Middle East. Meanwhile, Obama came into office saying we should limit our wars to countries who have actually attacked us (or harbored individuals who have).
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

zeruslord wrote:Count Arioch lives out in Hicksville, VA, which gives him a completely different perspective on Virginians and the country as a whole than what I have in North Virginia, which is, in fact, part of the North.
Fuck y'all, Bath/West Virginia is amazing.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

'Pretty' does not mean 'stupid people who forget that shitting in their own water is bad live here.'

-Crissa
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

People aren't moderate, they're neutral.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Although, while it was popular to say 'I'm conservative', at no time were conservative policies or paths to those policies were popular with the majority.

Hence 'Clear Skies' bill that actually led to more pollution and restricting what states can do to clean things; the 'Healthy Forests' initiative which led to more logging, clearcutting camping areas, and destructing of fisheries; anti-abortion anti-contraceptive teaching 'abstinence only' and 'pro life' which leads to more disease, more teen mothers, and more abortions; etc ad infinitum.

They have to lie and spend billions of dollars to make it look like they're not doing what they are doing.

-Crissa
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Neeeek wrote:The Democratic Party's official position on nearly every issue is the more popular one nationally, gay marriage being the most obvious exception (and that will be the majority position within 20 years).

Many, many people who consider them "moderates" (even a fair number of "conservatives") would, if you asked them issue by issue what they are in favor of, would be considered flaming liberals. They just don't like the word.
You're right, and that's very important. Many people agree with more Democratic proposals than they do Republican ones. The fact that people, in spite of this, still identify in conservatives in massive numbers is extremely important. Political affiliation is extraordinarily psychological in nature, so when the Republican party has words associated with it like "conservative", "patriotic", "freedom", and, most of all, "American" (all words that the Republican party is significantly more connected to than the Democratic party in peoples' minds), even if people wouldn't really agree with them on the major issues, it doesn't matter because people don't know the major issues. What they do know is that they're Americans, durn it, and they're proud of this country, and they're going to vote for the American party - the Republican Party. They're temporarily out of style, but it'd be majorly foolish to sound their death toll just yet.