TNE: "Broad Classes"

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

My own take is that a "max" level character of any one "colour"/"class"/"tribe" should have all (or most) of their class's "max power" or "signature" moves; however unlocking them takes time. As does unlocking Limited powers.

A model that came to me just now is something like this:

Free Powers: Massive List, you pick a bunch, and keep adding more as you go along in level. Let's say that you get.... 5 free powers when you start; after that it's 1 per level.

Limited Powers: For every X amount of Free Powers that you know, you get one more Limited Power. Let's say, you get 1 Limited power for every 2 Free powers that you know?

So, at level 1 you'll have 2 Limited powers, you get your second at level 2; and if we have classes go to level 10, you'd end up with 14 Free Powers and 7 Limited Powers at level 10.

Signature[/i] Powers: ....

wait, each of the described classes has 3 specialities. So there should be at least 3 Signature powers.

The question is whether people want lots and lots of free powers in proportion to their limited and signature powers, like say, 10 free powers and 5 limited powers for every 1 signature power? or something else?

Also, what would the scale be between Free, Limited and Signature powers?

Something along the lines of:
"Rain of Blood/Fish/Frogs" < "Rain of Snakes" < "Rain of Tigers"?

and/or

"Slice a Sign-post/Peasant/Dog" < "Slice a Tree/Knight/Bear" < "Slice a Mountain/Army/Dinosaur(Dragon)"

Because, Frank writing up a big 'ole list of powers is cool and all, but if we say that some powers......oh wait. I was going to say that limited and signature powers should be on their own lists.

Every power could be free/limited or signature. You just change the sense of scale for a power that is each.

A "Rain of Blood" that drowns the land is pretty epic; while a "Rain of Tigers" that merely roars and growls at your enemies and scares them is more of a "Free" power type of abilitiy.

Heck, you could take a power 3 times, as Free, Limited and Signature; but your use of each power-size is limited by whatever limits Signature/Limited powers.

Meaning that a "Blood Mage" starts off with a Free power "Rain of Blood" (blood falls, it does whatever normal blood would do, like sort of gross people out and attract predators). Then once they can, they use their Limited power "Rain of Blood" ability (blood falls, people get sick or the ground is slick and hard to move on, or both); then once they've built up, they end with their Signature "Rain of Blood" power (Blood falls, everybody dies).

Sorry that I got hung up on Blood Rain, it was just one of the most memorable powers from the Green powers list. Black would get something like "Rain of Spores" or "Zombies come from the ground"
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

While I'm not much against different tiers of powers having occasionally similar effects, honestly the payoff of a Signature power has to be much more, well, Significant considering the odds of bringing it online.

Code: Select all

1st Round     2nd Round     3rd Round     4th Round     5th Round
Free        100%          100%          100%          100%          100%
Limited     50%           83.3%         97.2%         100%          100%
Signature   16.6%         44.4%         72.2%         90.7%         98.4%
Hmm, on reflection I almost think a bigger die should be used for this kind of building number thing, as it makes it a little too likely that you'll get your power on the 3rd or 4th round for Signature. On the other hand, maybe this is appropriate.

Obviously, by the 6th round (upkeep, really) you'll get your power guaranteed in this model.