News that makes us laugh, cry, or both

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Draco_Argentum wrote:I don't like having to rely on people from the Family First Party* for anything. Probably have to vote Greens 1 Liberal 2 next election, thats an odd combo.

*Just like the name suggests these are far right douche-nozzles who think gays are evil.
You know the moment they're in power they'll use the laws to protect themselves and fuck you.

Sheesh.

We get anti-UN guys like that in the US, saying 'I'm gonna do blah!' and you know, they vote the hard-right guys who talk the walk but don't walk the talk once they're in office.

We have two kinds of 'centrists' in our country: The ones who hate all politicians 'cause 'it's politics!' and want everyone to get along, with the false equivalences that gives - they're the majority. Then we have the 'let's throw both parties out, they're both scum!' often blaming the exact opposite party for something that went wrong. Court appointees on Clinton, who couldn't get the presidential average through congress. Democrats when Democrats aren't in power and Democrats in power when Repuglicans pull stunts like holding up the quorum or filibustering more legislation in a year than has been filibustered in the last ten... They alway have the story wrong.

Grr. Easily goaded into voting for evil because of some tiny flaw in other party, never mind the anvil in their own eye.

-Crissa
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

FrankTrollman wrote:That might be going a bit far. I'm not actually up on the intricacies of Australian government and industry regulation, but who actually calls the shots at the ACMA?

Their own site says that:
AMCA wrote:ACMA consults extensively with representatives of industry, consumers, government and academia, often through a range of committees.
What the fuck guys? Do you seriously have committees with industry representatives and lay consumers of internet on them deciding what is and is not censorable?

That can't be right.

-Username17
Its the most fucking reetarded initative in the known universe. So don't worry, thats probably true. But we don't know its true because the process by which something is defined as censorable or not is actually a secret classified to a level supposed to protect things that directly impact national security.

Seriously, what the fuck guys? ACMA is usually not to bad on this (our other Censorship Organ, the Office of Film and Litreature Classification, which are the guys who get the ban books, are actually pretty reasonable, or at least not douchebags. While they may ban GTA IV for dumb reasons, they atually publish the reason.

Anyway, Conroy is an indefensible jackass. I actually went to my local MP to whinge about this particularly supid effort, and it was quite funny. I had a copy of the government report saying that internet censorship would slow down the internet, and she'd just been out pimping faster internet for rural areas, so thought this was an issue and would escalate.
I don't like having to rely on people from the Family First Party* for anything. Probably have to vote Greens 1 Liberal 2 next election, thats an odd combo.

*Just like the name suggests these are far right douche-nozzles who think gays are evil.
Yeah, I live in a safe labour seat, so I always vote liberal in an effort to live in a marginal seat, but I'll be voting Greens 1 Liberal 2 (as opposed to Greens 1 Labour 2 as per last time) in the senate next time around.

Incidently, I'm been quite unexpectedly pleased by the Family First Party so far. I know they are total jackasses, and when it looked like they'd have the balance of power I was crying doom and gloom to my friend who follows politics on election night, but overwhelming he's stuck to the reasonable and fairly non controversial part of the christian right agenda.

For example, wanting more job assistance in the stimulus package and a ban of alchol ads in sports games is perfectly reasonable, and he's on the same page as the labour party on gay marriage (annoyingly so).
Last edited by cthulhu on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

cthulhu wrote:For example, wanting more job assistance in the stimulus package and a ban of alchol ads in sports games is perfectly reasonable, and he's on the same page as the labour party on gay marriage (annoyingly so).
Wow, that'd get him barred from our Republican Party. We have several states declining unemployment aid from the feds for their burst in unemployment in this recession, and while the politicos are all enraged about million-dollar retention bonuses being paid by companies which are in debt to the feds for several billion... Leader Limbaugh is going on how that's getting in the way of capitalism (though for once, he may have a point, the greedy bastiches prolly will jump ship if they know they won't get bonuses of millions of dollars so they can screw up the economy more.

-Crissa
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Yeah, he's been not the impending disaster I expected.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

FrankTrollman wrote:What the fuck guys? Do you seriously have committees with industry representatives and lay consumers of internet on them deciding what is and is not censorable?
Australia's Internet filter ruled by a single bureaucrat

Actually it appears that theres no real oversight at all.

Its a complaint based system. Send in a complaint and the site is possibly blocked. The recent blocking of an anti-abortion site with graphic photos was done on purpose by someone to show how fucked up the system is.

And it looks like I have a new hero. Leaked blacklist irresponsible, inaccurate: Conroy Wikileaks has the current blacklist, or at least something claimed to be it. Whoever did that is a shining beacon putting their ass on the line for the people. The exact anti-thesis of Conroy.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, one day, the UN is going to tell a developing nation "Stop this shit, you can't just randomly censor stuff you don't like and spy on your populace! Civilised people don't do that."

And the developing country is going to say "lol, Australia."

And then the UN guy is going to laugh as well. We may not be turning into an Austria-style fascist nation, but our government has indeed been slowly going stealth-China. And you know, I can't remember the last time we had a violent, bloody revolution.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Crissa wrote:Leader Limbaugh is going on how that's getting in the way of capitalism (though for once, he may have a point, the greedy bastiches prolly will jump ship if they know they won't get bonuses of millions of dollars so they can screw up the economy more.
Several of them already have jumped ship, despite being paid enormous 'retention' bonuses.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Several of them already have jumped ship, despite being paid enormous 'retention' bonuses.
Yep, 12% of those offered bonuses in March 2008 to be paid in March 2009 to stay through 2008 left at the end of that period. Those got a 50% higher than average bonus than the ones still remaining.

Actually, though, I was leading to the other companies which might reach for bailout monies. I think it's very important for them to know they're on the line just as much (it should be more) than those at the bottom.

-Crissa
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

Texas Legislator: We should accredit schools on the basis of their funding.

I think it kinda speaks for itself:
Berman's bill would allow private, non-profit educational institutions to be exempt from the board’s authority.

“If you don’t take any federal funds, if you don’t take any state funds, you can do a lot more than some business that does take state funding or federal funding,” Berman says. “Why should you be regulated if you don’t take any state or federal funding?”
The "regulation" in question is the acccreditation process.
Last edited by IGTN on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No, you can't burn the inn down. It's made of solid fire."
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, I bet private colleges are just clamoring to have their degrees downgraded to Christian Science.

-Crissa
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Not really news, of course.

Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Alternative title for the article: Texas Legislator Contracts Verbal Diarrhea.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Wikileaks to Conroy: Go after our source and we will go after you

Full press release repeated because wikileaks' server is flakey as.
Wikileaks wrote:WIKILEAKS PRESS RELEASE (for immediate release)
Thu Mar 19 23:07:20 EDT 2009

"Wikileaks to Conroy: Go after our source and we will go after you."

The Stockholm based publisher of Wikileaks today issued a warning to the Australian Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Steven Conroy, who is responsible for Australian internet censorship.

Senator Conroy issued an official media release yesterday in response to Wikileaks' release of last year's confidential Australian internet censorship blacklist. The Senator said that his department, "is investigating this matter and is considering a range of possible actions it may take including referral to the Australian Federal Police. Any Australian involved in making this content publicly available would be at serious risk of criminal prosecution."

The Senator is perhaps unware of the legal and diplomatic risks associated with the statement.

Sunshine Press Legal Adviser Jay Lim stated:

"Under the Swedish Constitution's Press Freedom Act, the right of a confidential press source to anonymity is protected, and criminal penalties apply to anyone acting to breach that right.

Wikileaks source documents are received in Sweden and published from Sweden so as to derive maximum benefit from this legal protection. Should the Senator or anyone else attempt to discover our source we will refer the matter to the Constitutional Police for prosecution, and, if necessary, ask that the Senator and anyone else involved be extradited to face justice for breaching fundamental rights."

Senator Conroy may wish to consider the position of the South African Competition Commission, which decided to cancel its own high profile leak investigation in January after being advised of the legal ramifications of interfering with Sunshine Press sources.
These guys are my heroes.

Heres a question: Patriot is to nation as X is to humanity. What is X? I need a word for the awesomeness of people who stand up for our rights like this.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Might not be exactly what you want, but your analogy leads to "cosmopolitan".

But let's not forget to thank Sweden, though.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The ironic thing is that the row started over the Australian government going after an anti-abortion website. A website that in addition to the standard bullshit about showing miscarriages out of context as base appeals to the emotions of an uninformed lay public who are by and large squeamish when it comes to blood - funnels money and equipment to assassins that target doctors. So the actual website in question actually is a site with strong terrorist links and putting it on a banned list is entirely reasonable if you tell people what and why you are doing.

If you just said "These guys are linked to the Atlanta Olympics Bombing, and we are under no circumstances allow nationally owned servers to link to them." there wouldn't even be an issue. The secrecy, not the act itself, is what is untenable.

-Username17
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I suspect the anti abortion thing was selected for the following reasons.

The internet censorship policy is largely a sop specifically for the Family First party.

The family first party is the Pentecostal party.

Like the Australian Pentecostal churches they are very carefully, cynically and somewhat secretively run by a bunch of border line maniacs and con men. So they put on the face of a general conservative party and do very well about not looking totally batshit crazy unless questioned aggressively by a REAL journalist.

But without the massive endorsement and direct hand in sock puppet support of the Pentecostals Family first has no money, no feet on the ground, no candidates and no votes.

And the Pentecostals like all frothy fundies are very much the "for thee but not for mee" crowd. So of course "their" sides sites are sacrosanct no matter how much murdery wholesome crunch they have.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Followup on the Brazilian Archbishop... Apparently another archbishop in the Vatican (lead bioethicist?) said the archbishop violated his duties to the girl in order to grandstand about, basically contradicting prior reports.

Some people think this means there's still hope for the RCC to remain relevant, though the Pope's own words seem to contradict that.

-Crissa
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

4800 calory burger
the West Michigan Whitecaps are offering fans a behemoth dubbed the Fifth Third Burger, named after the team's ballpark and the meal's five beef patties, which each weigh one third of a pound (136 grams).

The burger is smothered with chili, salsa, sour cream and a dollop of melted nacho-style cheese -- topped off with Frito chips, lettuce, tomato and five slices of American cheese and laid out in a bun made with a pound (454 grams) of dough.

Yah know, I'm pretty sure I could polish that off without too much effort. Thank god my metabolism is still fairly high. Though take of the frito chips and sour cream because that's just wrong on a burger. But you can replace it with a small jar of mayo, a couple dill pickles and some dijon to make up the calories.
Last edited by ckafrica on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

The Republican Road to Recovery is in the way:

Unintentional humor for the win.

-Crissa
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

So the Republican alternative to Obama's plan is to promise to do all the same stuff without actually spending any money? I'm trying to figure out whether I should be surprised.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

Absentminded_Wizard wrote:So the Republican alternative to Obama's plan is to promise to do all the same stuff without actually spending any money? I'm trying to figure out whether I should be surprised.
No, they want to, for example, reform Medicare & Medicaid by capping damages in malpractice lawsuits and punishing lawyers who get their malpractice lawsuits thrown out, and providing universal access to affordable health care through tax incentives and deregulation. So, basically, they say they want to do the same things by doing the exact opposite.

They want to lower our depenence on foreign oil through alternative energy sources like offshore oil drillin, ANWR oil, oil shale, tar sands, and liquified coal. Also by
Republicans support expediting judicial review of energy development by making the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia the sole venue for review and limiting complaints to a finite period—reducing frivolous anti-energy litigation.
Here's their alternative energy plan:
In order to promote the development of renewable and alternative energy, Republicans support promoting the leasing of federal lands which contain alternative energy such as oil shale. The Interior Department should provide lease sales of oil shale in an environmentally-sound manner, rather than hinder leasing plans. Republicans also support
enabling federal agencies to take the lead in spurring a market by using fuels derived from oil shale, tar sands, and coal.
They also want to save the economy through Hoovernomics and letting the banks fail:
Republicans want to end the bailouts, protect taxpayers, and provide a transparent recovery process.
Republicans support maintaining the cost of living after witnessing the booms and busts triggered by loose monetary policy.
They've also finally started to complain about privatized gains, socialized losses. . . now that the government is buying failed companies (some of the time). Which they complain about, too. They'd seriously rather see the global economy collapse than spend money.

Also, they still blame the poor for the collapse:
Although well-intended, the federal government unintentionally contributed to the housing bubble by promoting home ownership for people that could not afford it through the Community
Reinvestment Act (CRA). . . But CRA has encouraged banks to make risky loans, contributing to the record foreclosures that have roiled mortgage markets and the larger economy.
Read the link, it's a wonderful treasure trove of crazy.

Also, when asked to present an alternative plan instead of criticizing the plan we already have, they present a budget with no budget items in it, but with a whole lot of criticism.
"No, you can't burn the inn down. It's made of solid fire."
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The IMF (well, a former chief economist) on the US economy: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200905/imf-advice
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

CG: gotta love the Atlantic

video games are good for you
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

Japan's new cultural diplomats
I don't know I don't find them that cute. But I'm more of a SE Asia kind of guy.