Where's the Andy C. loves his FTR/BARB dwarf smoking gun?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

shau wrote:
Crissa wrote: Hence wearing conductors vs magic lightning is bad, but wearing wood is good, but the opposite is true iRL.

-Crissa
Are sure about this? It sounds like you are saying I want to be wearing metal boots in a high voltage area, not rubber ones. It is my understanding the opposite is true.
Well, what she's getting at is that electricity will follow the path of least resistance to ground. If there's a metal pathway that allows electricity to pass through rather than your body, it will do that.

If you're encased in metal, the electricity will follow the metal. If your boots are metal and nothing else, the power will go through your body to get to the boots. If you are not connected to ground at all though, electricity won't go through you at all.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:If you are not connected to ground at all though, electricity won't go through you at all.
Not strictly true. While you won't be affected by lightning striking near you, your presence in the air may provide a path of least resistance. Airplanes in storms get struck by lightning.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Count Arioch the 28th
King

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:If you are not connected to ground at all though, electricity won't go through you at all.
Not strictly true. While you won't be affected by lightning striking near you, your presence in the air may provide a path of least resistance. Airplanes in storms get struck by lightning.
If there's a path through the air, then you are connected to ground. Don't correct me, then say something that I just said.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Rubber boots provide less conductivity than your flesh. Air provides less conductivity than your flesh, too. And yet lightning goes through the air.

Count said it all, he just left off at an inopportune turn of phrase.

Anyhow, this is why to avoid being electrocuted, linemen wear chainmail and ground their equipment to the line, so the step up to the voltage without it flowing through their body. And it's why Faraday cages work.

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, electricity adds up the ohms along any possible path to ground and travels along the path of the least total resistance. Then once that path is chosen, what actually does damage is the resistance of the path. Resistance converts a certain amount of electrical power to heat. Otherwise it just flows through.

So if you wear rubber boots, you make the path through you less appealing. If, however, the path through you is chosen anyway, those boots will heat up and explode. And remember that most of your body, being as it is essentially made out of salt water, is very conductive. If you wear metal boots, it makes paths through the boots more attractive, but the low resistance of the material means that electricity passing through it will be harmless while traveling through it. So if you cover your whole body with copper chainmail, the path right next to you is very attractive, but when electricity goes through the armor it will only make you a little bit warm.

Rubber boots decrease the likelihood that you will be targeted by a bolt of lightning somewhat. Metal shells attract lightning, but also protect you from the effects.

-Username17
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote: If there's a path through the air, then you are connected to ground. Don't correct me, then say something that I just said.
Jesus Count, by that reasoning you're always connected to the ground.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

You are, from the standpoint of electricty.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote: If there's a path through the air, then you are connected to ground. Don't correct me, then say something that I just said.
Jesus Count, by that reasoning you're always connected to the ground.
When you have had extensive training with electricity and wiring, you can question my reasoning. Until then, shut your face, you don't know what you're talking about.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

The bad thing about electricity going through humans, though, is when it goes through your heart. Unfortunately, it doesn't takes but a really low amperage to actually kill you this way. So the lower resistance = lower heat thing is true only if it doesn't go through your upper chest. Otherwise you're fucked.

So I can see a setup where creatures with squishy organs can have a chance of taking extra damage from electricity and trees have a resistance to it. It makes sense.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Also, electricity can cause nerve damage too. I worked with a guy that was working on some 220 lines ten years ago with no form of protection at all when it was damp, and he got a jolt.

Luckily, it threw him free, most of the time it just tenses your muscles and make you take a death-grip on whatever you were holding. However, to this day he gets shooting pains up and down his arms and fingers.

Also, weirdly enough there gets to be a point where the mortality rate for electrical shocks lowers. Lago is right, if electricity hits your heart, it causes the rhythm to go all screwy and you die, but if the shock is high enough to tense your chest and rib muscles, it keeps the heart from doing that. 'Course, then you have severe burns and nerve damage to deal with, so it's no picnic either.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:The bad thing about electricity going through humans, though, is when it goes through your heart. Unfortunately, it doesn't takes but a really low amperage to actually kill you this way. So the lower resistance = lower heat thing is true only if it doesn't go through your upper chest. Otherwise you're fucked.

So I can see a setup where creatures with squishy organs can have a chance of taking extra damage from electricity and trees have a resistance to it. It makes sense.
Sure, but immunity is obviously just as insane.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:When you have had extensive training with electricity and wiring, you can question my reasoning. Until then, shut your face, you don't know what you're talking about.
Sure thing count. In the future I'll make sure to consult with you before talking about anything you might have expertise in.

TavishArtair wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:The bad thing about electricity going through humans, though, is when it goes through your heart. Unfortunately, it doesn't takes but a really low amperage to actually kill you this way. So the lower resistance = lower heat thing is true only if it doesn't go through your upper chest. Otherwise you're fucked.

Sure, but immunity is obviously just as insane.
Depending on how magic lightning targeting is done, it might make sense to make trees harder to hit but take more damage. Just like the knight in shining armor should be easier to hit but take less.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Count Arioch the 28th
King

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Sure thing count. In the future I'll make sure to consult with you before talking about anything you might have expertise in.
Excellent. One down, several billion to go.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:Excellent. One down, several billion to go.
How about you stop being retarded and explain WTFH you mean with "not connected to the ground"?
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

You're always connected to the ground. How well you are is determined by what's around you; you can build up a charge that's insufficient to pass over that gap. Rubber boots == more charge you will hold. Which means the next time something not rubber touches something more grounded - like a doorknob - boom, you get a shock.

Literally you either surround yourself with metal or connect yourself to the ground to avoid being hit by a shock.

In D&D, it's the opposite.

-Crissa
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

I know. I was referring to:
Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:If you're encased in metal, the electricity will follow the metal. If your boots are metal and nothing else, the power will go through your body to get to the boots. If you are not connected to ground at all though, electricity won't go through you at all.
(emphasis mine)

And then the idiocy.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Some of the lightning spells in D&D have a bigger effect on flyers (or possibly just hit them more easily). So it looks like it's not the opposite, they're merely inconsistent.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

...Wasn't this thread supposed to be about Andy Fail, and not lightning strikes? Last I checked, the former was a lot more common... :roll:
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Bigode wrote:
Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:Excellent. One down, several billion to go.
How about you stop being retarded and explain WTFH you mean with "not connected to the ground"?
How about you munch on my taint?
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Crissa wrote: Literally you either surround yourself with metal or connect yourself to the ground to avoid being hit by a shock.
Not always.

Linemen who deal with really high voltages will use metal to redirect electricity away from their bodies for safety.

However, for small-scale repairs, usually insulated boots/gloves are worn. The difference is that small voltage (110-220 voltage) isn't very likely at all to make the jump through multiple layers of leather and rubber to hit ground. (Now, you need to be vigilant on the condition of your safety gear, as even a small breach will in fact completely negate what you're wearing.)

That protection really isn't going to matter though if you're working lines carrying 18,000+ volts, it's going to bust through any insulator that could possibly be worn on the hand and feet as if it wasn't there. In that case, redirection is the key.

However, I have never seen electricians use any protective gear at all when working on household 220, or even the three-phase 450 machinery we had at the plant. Whether that's confidence or stupidity, I can't say.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, yes, but as it is, the number of people who use insulators vs redirectors is actually lower. That's actually more dangerous, as at any point you might misjudge your amount of insulation...

...And they probably did that because turning off the power is the best insulation, the 450 workers I know usually junction it another direction, and then test with big gloves to short out sections, then ditch the gloves one the power has been fed away.

And while I never, ever had it happen in my years of electronics training, in the last year I encountered leftover overvoltage on circuitry, producing sparks when I grounded it - it would've destroyed any chips I was working on or triggered explosives if that's what I'd been working on, I'd heard about it, and always see demo guys worrying about it, but never saw it before, but when a plain piece of wire acts like a capacitor in front of you, you're convinced.

-Crissa
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Crissa wrote:Well, yes, but as it is, the number of people who use insulators vs redirectors is actually lower.
Your experience is opposite mine. Also, I haven't found the electricians I've worked with turned the power off very often, they worked the wires hot. Again, I don't consider that a good idea.

Also, I've only heard about redirectors, I've never seen any in use at any time. I haven't worked with any linemen though.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

When you say "redirectors" do you mean leashes or what?
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, but electricians aren't the majority. They're just carpenters with wires. There's all sorts of electronics and electrical repair, and they either use anti-static coatings (these conduct); grounding straps, or armor gear (linesmen).

-Crissa
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Electricians do electronic repair. I don't know why you think they don't.