Web sites that makes us laugh, cry, or both

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I don't have a direct link for this, but I think it's a really sad day when 'Fat Kid Falls Down' on YouTube can grab 3 million views.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Full Daily Show interview with Jim Cramer.

It's a three-part, 14-odd-minute segment, only some of which actually aired. The link is to Part 2, which is the real meat of the interview. Highlights include videotape of Cramer giving hedge fund managers advice on how to skirt regulations.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Apparently, this came out 10 years before the electric clothes iron, and 9 years before the vacum cleaner.

It's "very useful and satisfactory for home use"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ciates.jpg

Image is way too large to post.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Cracked's Top 5 Common-Sense Fallacies

The third (Appeal to Probability) reminds me of some discussions we've had on this board.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

You know that guy on the internet who wants to fight you? You know, the one who is a ninja master and the leader of an elite group in the army but he can't tell you about it because it is super classified? Frank Dux is that guy, but he isn't just saying that on the internet, but all the time. From his wiki.
wikipedia wrote:Born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Dux moved to North Hollywood, California when he was seven years old. He became a U.S. Marine in 1975.[citation needed] In 1996, Dux was with HIDTA, High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area at the Criminal Justice Center, where he designed strategies and tactics and evaluated their existing training program and in 1997[citation needed], he received awards from the Multi Jurisdictional Counter Drug Task Force for drug task force investigations.[citation needed] He also was sponsored by the Department Of Defense to teach NEOA, Narcotics Enforcement Officers Association, covert activities.[citation needed] He is an adjunct faculty member of the Saint Petersburg, Florida Criminal Justice Institute[citation needed] and was named as a source contributor to the United States Navy SEAL Special Warfare Manual (K431-0097).[citation needed]
Any guy who has literally said that John Claude Van Damme movies describe his real life makes me laugh.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Damnit, semiprotected. I wanted to add a "Note: this article is Bullshit" warning up the top.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY_utC-hrjI

Obama's hopeful message to the Iranian people.

Is our President high or something? He should know better than to do stuff like this in America.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Thats the sort of stuff Obama does well. Hes a good speaker, hopefully he can get Iran onside. And hopefully Rush and co use it to divide their crappy party apart further.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

The deathstick guy in Attack of the Clones is named Elan Sleazebaggano. Also, he had no ears in the movie, but they were retconned in in a visual guide. I am not making this up.

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0236.html
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY_utC-hrjI

Obama's hopeful message to the Iranian people.

Is our President high or something? He should know better than to do stuff like this in America.
I don't know, it seems like it bore fruit pretty fast.
Economic Times, March 27, 2009 wrote:WASHINGTON: US President Barack Obama said on Friday that many nations, including NATO partners and also countries like Iran, India and China,
have a stake in achieving security in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

"From our partners and NATO allies, we seek not simply troops, but rather clearly defined capabilities: supporting the Afghan elections, training Afghan Security Forces, and a greater civilian commitment to the Afghan people," Obama said in a speech outlining a new strategy for Afghanistan.

He said he wanted to form a new contact group for Afghanistan that would include Iran, Russia, India and China, as well as NATO allies.
Yeah sure, the Mullahs went all crazy hat on Obama when he did that, but we're going to be doing joint force exercises with Iranian regular army in Pakistani border provinces by the end of the year. How retarded is that going to make the Mullahs look? And by that I mean to the Iranian people, because they are the ones who actually have a say as to what kind of government they have.

Obama could get Iranian soldiers patrolling Herat and Farah within the year, and the Supreme Leader of Iran could be out on his beard in five. Ca-ching!

-Username17
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I know, this is too easy, but...

-Crissa
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Crissa wrote:I know, this is too easy, but...
Some questions ...
- Some of those retards claimed women prefer having male children. Problem is, IME this actually is true. Why, if nowadays supposedly most people believe women aren't inferior?
- I'm certainly one to say the Republicans losing's a good thing - but is there any non-fail source pointing to that being driven by voting women?
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Bogode wrote:Some of those retards claimed women prefer having male children. Problem is, IME this actually is true. Why, if nowadays supposedly most people believe women aren't inferior?
My mother summed this up really well:
Maj's mom wrote:Little boys and girls are different. When you hear a thump coming from upstairs and you ask your son what he's doing, he responds, "Me and Tony are dropping the cat down the laundry chute to see what happens!"

If you ask your daughter what she's doing, you get, "Oh, nothing!" only to find out later that she's decided to make cookies out of your scented talcum powder and perfume, and has completely decimated your closet.
Generally speaking, the spirit of this held true in our family even after the siblings grew up, hit their teenage years, and became college graduates (My sister and I did not actually make cookies out of cosmetics, but rather, made real cookies and got flour down the heat register. That is much, much, much worse). We'll see if it holds true for my children.
Last edited by Maj on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Koumei wrote: oh, it's tempting. Might try soldering, actually
Soldering doesn't work, the solder seems to have trouble 'adhering' to the metal.

Fucking blood thisters.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Maj wrote:
Bogode wrote:Some of those retards claimed women prefer having male children. Problem is, IME this actually is true. Why, if nowadays supposedly most people believe women aren't inferior?
My mother summed this up really well:
Maj's mom wrote:Little boys and girls are different. When you hear a thump coming from upstairs and you ask your son what he's doing, he responds, "Me and Tony are dropping the cat down the laundry chute to see what happens!"

If you ask your daughter what she's doing, you get, "Oh, nothing!" only to find out later that she's decided to make cookies out of your scented talcum powder and perfume, and has completely decimated your closet.
Generally speaking, the spirit of this held true in our family even after the siblings grew up, hit their teenage years, and became college graduates (My sister and I did not actually make cookies out of cosmetics, but rather, made real cookies and got flour down the heat register. That is much, much, much worse). We'll see if it holds true for my children.
If you click through to the whole blog entry, you get the claim that women have never done any tasks that require "more logic than emotion." Last time I checked, figuring out which berries are poisonous wasn't an emotional endeavor.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

No, it's a factor of tricking the least popular/useful member of the tribe to eat the berries and seeing what happens.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Maybe off-topic, but I though this was cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqR8A8ecKWo

I also enjoyed this walk down memory lane. :lol:
Last edited by Ganbare Gincun on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:No, it's a factor of tricking the least popular/useful member of the tribe to eat the berries and seeing what happens.
See, all cold logic.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

-Crissa
I love all of the 'now we're gonna get it' joshing.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Bigode wrote:
Some questions ...
- Some of those retards claimed women prefer having male children. Problem is, IME this actually is true. Why, if nowadays supposedly most people believe women aren't inferior?
- I'm certainly one to say the Republicans losing's a good thing - but is there any non-fail source pointing to that being driven by voting women?
Sex selection is a real possibility in our modern age with amnio-screening. People in East and South Asia usually select for boys when they do it. To the point that boys outnumber girls in India and China by substantial margin. In Europe and North America, a majority of sex selection requests are asking for girl children.

I don't actually know why that is, but it is empirically true, at least according to the genetics department at my hospital.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I heard somewhere that the world, controlling for everything but births and deaths, is about to peak in population and decline really shortly. Even in the third world nations.

Confirm? Deny?

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... _sex_ratio

Okay, here we go. Here's some empirical evidence for what Frank was saying. This is a total ratio of males to females, so.

China 1.07
India 1.07

This is actually pretty damn bad. The only reasons why it's as 'low' as it is in China is because the ratio of M/F becomes .92 in China for people greater than 65 years old. HOWEVER, when you look at current births, it's:

China 1.12
India 1.12

Fuck. Things are completely bologna fucked over there. Just for comparison's sake, let's check out the absolute worst country on the list, M/F births only:

Qatar 1.87

Holy fuck.

Anyway, I don't really see any pattern to these. It can't be with gender inequality, because the lowest ratio of M/F births are in the Sub-Saharan African countries. The countries with the lowest M/F ratio total is Europe, Northern Asia, and Southeast Asia. Wikipedia has a sex ratio graph on the their webpage and Indo-China, the Middle East, and... Greenland stick out like a sore thumb.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I heard somewhere that the world, controlling for everything but births and deaths, is about to peak in population and decline really shortly. Even in the third world nations.

Confirm? Deny?
Confirm. The rate of growth of the rate of growth of population is starkly negative. While populations continue to grow, especially in the Philippines, many countries are already hitting zero or even negative growth. And all countries are heading that way.

Last I checked, the best statistics suggested we were going to top out at 10 billion or less by about 2050 and fall down to some lower but nknowable number (since it will depend largely on the reaction of the world to the highest populations it has ever had and to the prospect of negative growth in the second half of the 21st century).

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Anyway, I don't really see any pattern to these. It can't be with gender inequality, because the lowest ratio of M/F births are in the Sub-Saharan African countries. The countries with the lowest M/F ratio total is Europe, Northern Asia, and Southeast Asia. Wikipedia has a sex ratio graph on the their webpage and Indo-China, the Middle East, and... Greenland stick out like a sore thumb.
The reason you can't see a pattern is because the root causes vary in different regions. For example, we should see about 51% of all babies born be males, because male sperm is slightly faster than female sperm. But male fetuses are also slightly more fragile than female fetuses, both from a chemical and an auto-immune standpoint. So when mothers are stressed physically or exposed to chemical teratogens, they are more likely to spontaneously abort a male fetus. So if you go into Russia there are substantially more women born than men.

Greenland on the other hand, is a protectorate of Denmark, so Greenlander girls can and do go off for a better life in Copenhagen.

The reasons for sex ratio differences are not always in the form of brutal misogyny practiced by people subscribing to backward and horrible social mores. Although of course in Qatar and China it actually is.

Although many middle eastern countries also have extensive guest worker programs that disproportionately bring in men - that's not what is going on there.

-Username17
Last edited by Username17 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.