Hilarious 4e Anti-Immersion

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

SunTzuWarmaster wrote:Hey! Unconscious? I still have a healing surge and can roll a natural 20 to jump up to my feet and get nibbled on lightly for several more rounds!
Fixed.
MartinHarper
Knight-Baron

Post by MartinHarper »

SunTzuWarmaster wrote:Hey! Unconscious? I still have a healing surge and can roll a natural 20 to jump up to my feet and get devoured for several more rounds!
As it happens, unconscious characters don't make death saving throws, and they still take ongoing damage from being devoured. But really, I don't care that the DM can make the Tarrasque do non-lethal digestion damage, because the DM can give the Tarrasque eye lasers and rocket feet.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Why is the Tarrasque such a goddamn wuss in 4E?

A lone dwarven Battlerager Fighter in +6 masterwork plate can pop a Boundless Endurance or Unyielding Avalanche and laugh in the tarrasque's fat fucking face as he wails on it all day long.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Why is the Tarrasque such a goddamn wuss in 4E?

A lone dwarven Battlerager Fighter in +6 masterwork plate can pop a Boundless Endurance or Unyielding Avalanche and laugh in the tarrasque's fat fucking face as he wails on it all day long.
Everything is. Padded Sumo for the loss.

Everything has also gotten smaller, so as to better fit into closets. It used to take up at least 10k square feet on the battle map, along with the biggest dragons. 3.5 shrunk it to taking up 64 squares on the map... Pretty sure 4.Fail shrunk it more.
Torko
1st Level

Post by Torko »

A cyclops gets a bonus to ranged attacks because of its single eye.

4th ed: This is a game. Games are fun. Thinking is not fun. Do not think. Obey. Consume.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Evil Eye.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

All four of them.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Why is the Tarrasque such a goddamn wuss in 4E?

Well battleragers are pretty much crazy broken. In a game of hit point attrition, they have ridiculously high endurance by default and to make matters worse they deal fighter damage.

Pretty much nothing beats a battlerager except for a line of artillery monsters.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Doom314 wrote:You can also knock enemies unconscious with a fireball, lightning, or even acid attack in DnD4.0.
Actually. no. Generally speaking all enemies die at 0.
Only PCs are special. The DM has to decide to give NPCs the Plot-Critical (unkillable) flag to let the PCs knock enemies unconscious.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Voss wrote:
Doom314 wrote:You can also knock enemies unconscious with a fireball, lightning, or even acid attack in DnD4.0.
Actually. no. Generally speaking all enemies die at 0.
Only PCs are special. The DM has to decide to give NPCs the Plot-Critical (unkillable) flag to let the PCs knock enemies unconscious.
No, he's right.
4.0 PHB, 295 wrote:When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points or fewer, you can choose to knock it unconscious rather than kill it. Until it regains hit points, the creature is unconscious but not dying. Any healing makes the creature conscious. If the creature doesn’t receive any healing, it is restored to 1 hit point and becomes conscious after a short rest.
Also, this happens to any enemy or plot-important NPC with the [unkillable] tag. Nonlethal rocks fall, everyone is unconscious.

-Username17
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

But you've got to do lethal damage up until that point because there's no nonlethal damage. Having reduced him to ragged, bloody shreds over the course of many boring rounds, you can then choose to knock him out rather than kill him by conjuring a ball of sulphuric acid into his face.

Neat.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Amra wrote:But you've got to do lethal damage up until that point because there's no nonlethal damage. Having reduced him to ragged, bloody shreds over the course of many boring rounds, you can then choose to knock him out rather than kill him by conjuring a ball of sulphuric acid into his face.

Neat.
Nonlethal rocks fall, everyone is unconscious.
Last edited by Roy on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Noooo! Guys, guys, guys! Hitpoints totally aren't ACTUAL wounds. The acid arrow that burns him initially and continues burning him for a few rounds thereafter? It's actually just pain, not real damage. Like, if you poured vinegar on a cut? That's 3d6 damage right there.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

But he's not really hurt until he dies. If you choose not to kill him he's not really hurt, just banged up - nothing a bit of rest (5 minutes and a healing surge or two!) can't cure fully.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Psychic Robot wrote:Noooo! Guys, guys, guys! Hitpoints totally aren't ACTUAL wounds. The acid arrow that burns him initially and continues burning him for a few rounds thereafter? It's actually just pain, not real damage. Like, if you poured vinegar on a cut? That's 3d6 damage right there.
Because swinging a poisoned sword at someone totally auto magically puts the poison in the wound you didn't make... because they couldn't animate hacking up sprites.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

The poison's damage is actually you resisting the poison and the fatigue your body takes from it.

/facepalm
Ant wrote:
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Until you die from it - then all the damage you took is actual damage. Same for sword blows, claw strikes, blunt trauma to the head, fire and cold damage.

Schrodinger's wounds - until you die you can't know how hurt you are. You can't even know if it's just fatigue (which a healing surge and 5 minutes of rest will cure) or actual damage, which kills you.
Last edited by Fuchs on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

Woo-hoo! The Copenhagen Interpretation of "getting the shit kicked out of you". Bohr would have thrown a fit.
Arikail
NPC

Post by Arikail »

I think my favorite is the ritual books and scrolls, and the fact that if you make them, you can only sell them for half the price you made them for. But if an NPC makes them, (using theoretically the exact same procedures you did, and the same price), they can charge you full price for them. So I want my class to be Merchant, and my class ability is "May sell items at full price to anyone without the Merchant class."
MartinHarper
Knight-Baron

Post by MartinHarper »

In my 4e economy, merchants have the ability to make ritual books and scrolls for half the material costs of a PC, but can only do so once/week, and tend to do so on demand rather than in advance. This mostly explains why they buy for "half price" and sell for "full price", and why robbing a merchant doesn't net you thousands of unsold ritual books and scrolls.
Arikail
NPC

Post by Arikail »

Nice way of doing things. I was just pointing out some of the un-immersive ness of 4E as I see it. It's basically a way for the designers to say "You are adventurers, go out and kill things, don't sit around and make them" with the unspoken addendum that (because if you could make them for cheaper and sell them, then that would throw off our cash-by-level calculations). I sort of understand why they did it (as this is a game of Dungeons and Dragons, not Merchants and Tradeships), but it does kill my immersion, especially when I read the novels where the hero makes a living for a time plying a trade he learned early on so he can live.

And sorry, didn't realize I was performing thread necromancy until a day after I made the post. Just got onto the boards. Oops.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Arikail wrote:And sorry, didn't realize I was performing thread necromancy until a day after I made the post. Just got onto the boards. Oops.
Don't worry about it, no one here cares. Several of us even prefer that you do it rather than open up a new thread on an old topic.

Also, welcome and stuff.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

I'd just like to point out that my PC is so cool! He's a necromancer! Sure his skeleton has the same stats as a bear, but it's not a bear! It's an undead!

The use of bows is a COMPLETE COINCIDENCE. This isn't a ranger, it's a necromancer! You can tell, because I erased 'ranger' from the sheet and put 'necromancer!'

The above is an actual 4.Fail suggestion I saw on the WoTC boards.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:I'd just like to point out that my PC is so cool! He's a necromancer! Sure his skeleton has the same stats as a bear, but it's not a bear! It's an undead!

The use of bows is a COMPLETE COINCIDENCE. This isn't a ranger, it's a necromancer! You can tell, because I erased 'ranger' from the sheet and put 'necromancer!'

The above is an actual 4.Fail suggestion I saw on the WoTC boards.
Welcome, welcome. You are in good company. :tongue:
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

We totally love when old threads get new stuff. New is always better than retreads.

Threads become older because we ran out of things to talk about, then forgot about them... It doesn't mean they might not be relevant later, be added to again, and we love linking to old threads (if we can find them.)

-Crissa