What various Ninja (actual name) classes are there for 3e?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Just wondering how much this might help my monk friend. I don't have OA or Rokugon books.

-Crissa
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oriental Adventures has:
-Ninja Spy

Sword and Fist had:
-Ninja of the Crescent Moon

that's all I've got for now... as far as actually having ninja in the name anyway.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Complete Adventurer had a Ninja which like a shitty rogue/monk hybrid.

D20 Rokugan has a ninja that couldn't wear armor, but got fighter BAB and rogue sneak attack.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

I have always considered Ninja, Scout, and Rogue in the same class of "sneaky guy who stabs things".

Anyways, this will aid you in your quest:
www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Ind ... s-Base.pdf
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

What does your friend want to do that couldn't be done with a straight Rogue?
Murtak
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

Murtak wrote:What does your friend want to do that couldn't be done with a straight Rogue?
Gay sex?
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

There's a shadow sun ninja in ToB.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

I think the Legend of Five Rings camapign thing has a ninja as well. Gets a mad speed bonus from Con and stuff. That's about all I know.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Murtak wrote:What does your friend want to do that couldn't be done with a straight Rogue?
Support a high Wis stat, cast weird spells. Anything that doesn't involve him rolling dice, which he sucks at. We use a computer to roll, and so far, he's gotten an average of 7.5 on the d20.

-Crissa
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

At that point, you should just be a cleric. Choose the right domain and you can sneak around.

-Username17
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Man, Shadow Sun Ninjas were my personal perfect storm of epically sweet concept clashing with hideously underpowered and confusing mechanics.
Thymos
Knight

Post by Thymos »

7.5 is an awefully... small in the digits. How many times has he rolled it?
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Crissa wrote:
Support a high Wis stat, cast weird spells. Anything that doesn't involve him rolling dice, which he sucks at. We use a computer to roll, and so far, he's gotten an average of 7.5 on the d20.
-Crissa
Straight Druid. Ignoring the animal companion and wildshaping, using only core spells:

1 - Secret Ninja Language (Druidic), Entangle, Jump, Longstrider, Obscuring Mist, Pass without Trace
2 - Woodland Stride
3 - Trackless Step, Fire Trap, Flame Blade, Spider Climb
4 -
5 - Poison
6 -
7 - Air Walk, Spike Stones
8 -
9 - Venom Immunity
10 -

Then you add spells like Forestfold, Bite of the Wereanimaloftheday or Briar Web. You get to do Kung Fu (unarmed attacks augmented with Magic Fang). Wildshape into a combat form (if desired a simple illusion will let you look human while pouncing the crap out of people), wildshape into a bird to scout, wildshape into a weasel to sneak. And on top of that you can have your personal panther or just an army of trained 1HD animals, ready to your bidding ("go and deliver these acorns, my little friend").

Take some feat to get what skills you want to add as class skills and you should be set. Flavor with a monk's belt if desired.
Murtak
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Use Kelpstrand.

Call it a grappling hook that you tie people up with.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Just take the Travel and Trickery domains and you should be good to go. Now for some retarded reason no core deity has this both of these combinations (unless you include Dragonlance, which I don't) even though should be an extremely fucking obvious portfolio combination. But whatever.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

If your DM will let you, you could always take the Spell domain, too. Risky, but awesome, especially since you can plunder the wizard spell from Spell Compendium that gives you a fighter bonus feat every time that you cast it.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That I can think of:

Ninja (base, CompAdv)
Ninja (base, Rokugan)
Ninja (base, BESM d20)
Shadow Sun Ninja (PrCl, Weeaboo Fightan Magic)
Ninja Spy (PrCl, Weeaboo Adventures)*
Ninja of the Crescent Moon (PrCl, Old 3.0 Book)*
Ninja of Gax (PrCl, Dungeonomicon)

*Or the other way round
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Koumei wrote:That I can think of:

Ninja (base, CompAdv)
Ninja (base, Rokugan)
Ninja (base, BESM d20)
Shadow Sun Ninja (PrCl, Weeaboo Fightan Magic)
Ninja Spy (PrCl, Weeaboo Adventures)*
Ninja of the Crescent Moon (PrCl, Old 3.0 Book)*
Ninja of Gax (PrCl, Dungeonomicon)

*Or the other way round
Huh, not quite as many as there were in the 2e Complete Ninja's Handbook.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Crissa wrote:Support a high Wis stat, cast weird spells.-Crissa
Ninja 1/Divine Caster X/Shadowbane Stalker?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, he also wanted to be a melee monk with you know, no weapons, but that wasn't working out.

He's really liked the suggestions, guys. Thanks.

-Crissa