My review of Rifts [rant]

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

JE: added you to the game, your sheet is user-editable now.

Yes, Godlings get their own PPE pool. The book is too far away for me to grab at the moment (I'd have to lean over as it's about a foot further than my reach. LAZY TO THE MAX), but yeah, double the recharge rate is a class feature for a Line Walker.

It's one of the Magus things from Federation of Magic that at first level gets all 11th level spells (and a handful of lesser utility ones), then 12th, 13th etc. That is not on the list for Godlings, but yeah, they start off with all the big spells (and their PPE isn't really super-amazing, so they'd rely on minions or ley-line defence).

Okay, Psionics:
-Healing List: Bio-regenerate (self: regain SDC/HP/MDC), Deaden Pain (codeine, whoo!), Detect Psionics (detects the influence of psionics on someone), Exorcism, Healing Touch, Increased Healing (doubles the heal rate), Induce Sleep (basically can't affect the unwilling), Meditation (increase your PPE/ISP gain), Psychic Diagnosis (no need to play House MD), Psychic Surgery (remove cancers and bullets, re-attach organs), Resist Fatigue, Restore PPE, Stop Bleeding, Suppress Fear, Psionic Purge (removes psionic effects), Restore Memory.

-Physical List: Alter Aura, Deaden Senses (turn targets into Metal Gear guards), Death Trance (fake being dead), Ectoplasm (ooze stuff), Ectoplasmic Disguise, Impervious to Fire/Cold/Poison, Levitation (make an object hover up and down), Mind Block (prevent mental intrusion), Nightvision, Resist Fatigue/Hunter/Thirst, Summon Inner Strength (get a quick boost), Telekinesis, TK Leap/Push/Lift/Punch, Enhanced Reflexes (combat bonuses, yay!), Resist Damage/Energy/Magic/Psionics, Strength of Mind (gain PS bonus).

-Sensitive List: Astral Projection, Clairvoyance (S&D time!), Commune With Spirits (ghosts, not vodka), Empathy (detect emotions, get social bonuses), Intuitive Combat (combat bonuses), Machine Ghost (Ghost in the Shell hacking), Mask ISP and Psionics, Mask PPE, Meditation, Mind Block, Object Read, Presence Sense (detect "stuff"), Read Dimensional Portal, Remote Viewing, See Aura, See the Invisible, Sense Dimensional Anomaly, Sense Evil/Magic/Time, Sixth Sense (Spidey senses), Speed Reading, Telepathy, Total Recall, Clairvoyant Prediction, Enhanced Perception, Extended Presence Sense, Sense Supernatural, Mind's Eye

-Super List: Bio-Manipulation (paralysis and similar), Super Bio-Regen, Electrokinesis (electric blasts, power engines and stuff), Empathic Transmission (force emotion), Group Mind Block, Group Trance, Hydrokinesis (detect water and blast people with water), Hypnotic Suggestion, Mentally Possess Others, Mind Block Auto Defence (automatically activates), Mind Bolt (energy blasts), Mind Bond (we are one), Mind Wipe, PPE shield, psi-shield, psi-sword, Psionic Invisibility, Psychic Body Field (more MDC), Psychic Omnisight (see everything), Psychosomatic Disease (they think they're sick, so develop symptoms), Pyrokinesis (fire blasts, control flames etc.), Radiate Horror Factor (make people afraid), TK Super (better Telekinesis), TK Acceleration Attack (turn pennies into railguns!), TK Force Field, Telemechanics (control machines WITH YOUR MIND), Telemechanic Mental Operation, Telemechanic Paralysis, Telemechanic Possession, Empathy: Superior, Hypnotic Control, Induce Amnesia, Induce Insanity, Mentally Control Others, Psionic Blast, Shared Perception, TK Blast, TK Shockwave, TK Force, Telepathic Suggestion, Superior Telepathy

Mein gott that's a lot.

Scry and Die can be done, to a degree, but teleportation tends to be less than accurate. Also, I think you meant Shifter when you said Warcock.

Your rune weapon can't have a special ability - that's for Greater Rune Weapons.

The flamer variant sounds just fine, go for it.

Casting in vehicles is problematic. IIRC, it halves the power of them, and you can only cast spells that have an effect inside the vehicle (so you could create an illusion or buff yourself, but not hurl fireballs outside). Casting in power armour is right out.

As for vehicles, an ATV (3-4 passengers can be held comfortably as well as the driver) can cost 24,000-70,000. A blackmarket Death's Head transport vessel (holds ~400) would set you back 300 million or more. Just saying. Or a coalition Mk IV APC that carries 20 costs 3 million stripped of all weapons, 21 million brand new and fully loaded.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

yeah, vehicles are fucking expensive, as I was reminded just trying to get a motorcycle for 'Glass.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Can I get outside of a vehicle and then cast?

A crazy mage riding a flying/hovering APC and casting spells (or shooting his fire peni-err. "flame thrower" at enemies) sounds like an interesting image. While his loyal crew of gurgoyles ... gurgoyle (they're not 'men' are they?) the apc's guns and drive it about.

I'll add more later...

"Sensitive" looks handy. Picking up healing, and TK supers will fill out the gaps that not having those lesser types creates.

Supers List:

Things with an "X" I don't really care about; unless you know that they're really useful to someone with a gun, maybe one or two minions

XBio-Manipulation (paralysis and similar),

Super Bio-Regen, [Is this really good? Really expensive?][potentially #1]

XElectrokinesis (electric blasts, power engines and stuff),
XEmpathic Transmission (force emotion),

Group Mind Block,
Group Trance,
[these two look interesting, one protects vs effects and the other does what?]

XHydrokinesis (detect water and blast people with water),
XHypnotic Suggestion,
XMentally Possess Others,
Mind Block Auto Defence (automatically activates),
XMind Bolt (energy blasts),

Mind Bond (we are one), [permanently or what? is this good or bad?]

XMind Wipe,
XPPE shield,
Xpsi-shield,
Xpsi-sword,
XPsionic Invisibility,
Psychic Body Field (more MDC), [can be covered with spells like Armour of Ithan, right? That spell seems to be used everywhere, and I've never actually read it myself]

Psychic Omnisight (see everything), [How good is this? Close range? Long range?]
[potentially #2]

XPsychosomatic Disease (they think they're sick, so develop symptoms),
Pyrokinesis (fire blasts, control flames etc.), [Can this be used to manipulate say.... the fire on already ignited creatures? Make it crawl into their mouths/nose/ears?]
[Possible pick; could be #5, or something else instead]

XRadiate Horror Factor (make people afraid),

TK Super (better Telekinesis),
TK Acceleration Attack (turn pennies into railguns!),
TK Force Field,
TK Blast,
TK Shockwave,
TK Force
[Which TK is the best? Is TK Super the general purpose one, and the rest are more specific and more powerful at what they do, or what?]
[One of these as potentially #3]

Telemechanics (control machines WITH YOUR MIND),
Telemechanic Mental Operation,
Telemechanic Paralysis,
Telemechanic Possession,
[I guess that regular Telemechanics is general purpose, and the rest are so-so]
[One of these as potentially #4]

XEmpathy: Superior,
XHypnotic Control,
XInduce Amnesia,
XInduce Insanity,
Mentally Control Others, [Ok, this looks good, but which Psionic Super is superior at mentally affecting others?]
XPsionic Blast,
Shared Perception, [See through someone else's eyes?]
Telepathic Suggestion,
Superior Telepathy [Looks like a decent pick, is it really better?]

On Shifters, aside from Gurgoyles (I want them over full out gargoyles, b/c they're human-size-ish, and I don't want to leave them behind if possible), what other kinds of things could a Shifter summon that are possible allies?

Are things like the demon-goblins possible? They show up in the service of the evil Wormwood female, human spellcaster (I forget her name, she was once a friend of some good guy male spell caster, and while they thwart each other, they don't actually go through with killing each other.

http://www.geocities.com/thefelyxz/misc/skills.html
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.