Things I learned today...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Maj wrote:I am more self-conscious online than I am in real life.
I am a raging alpha-nerd in MMOs once I get a scrap of power over anyone.

... but I'm usually fair and just as well.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Maj wrote:The super-awesome woman who works there gave Giovanni a pair of "training" chopsticks, and I learned how kids learn how to use chopsticks. They're connected at the top with loops for your fingers (something like this {OK, amazon, stupid rabbit}). They're pretty cool. My son likes to use them at home to eat blueberries.
Giovanni has taken whole-heartedly to the chopsticks and prefers to use them over a fork.

Using chopsticks is apparently one way to teach your child how to use scissors. My son got a hold of an index card yesterday and cut it to shreds. It was actually pretty cool until he decided to cut my hair (I cut everyone's hair in the family, so I understand where his impulse came from). Fortunately it doesn't show.
Last edited by Maj on Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Today I learned about a transgendered (?) spy who worked under King Louis XV, Chevalier d'Eon.

I think that's pretty damned cool.
Last edited by Maj on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I found out that I can punch myself in the throat hard enough to cause bruising and not be incapacitated. (Was choking, and panicked when I couldn't breath). But my throat still really fricking hurts even though it was three days ago.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

Today I learned that someone who I thought was an unmitigated piece of shit may have actually been right about a lot of things, and a lot cooler than I realised.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Today I learned that many of my students have over 90 hours in my 2nd year statistics course (one had 135 hours).

Considering 66 hours is the most one needs to get a 2 year degree, that's an eye-opener to how many are exploiting the easy student loan system.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

Doom wrote:Today I learned that many of my students have over 90 hours in my 2nd year statistics course (one had 135 hours).

Considering 66 hours is the most one needs to get a 2 year degree, that's an eye-opener to how many are exploiting the easy student loan system.
How does that work?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I found out that I can punch myself in the throat hard enough to cause bruising and not be incapacitated. (Was choking, and panicked when I couldn't breath). But my throat still really fricking hurts even though it was three days ago.
In high school I had... some virus that lasted 3+ months and permanently weakened my immune system. Heck, I still get the tingly "you should cough!" feeling in my throat every time I eat ice cream.

Anyway, a common occurrence back then was coughing fits and choking, until one of the three happened:
[*]I managed to cough the phlegm up
[*]It got caught in that special trigger location and induced vomiting (thus clearing the airway)
[*]I applied an air-choke to more or less force the body to stop.

The trick is to... hmm. Okay, left arm bent in front of you, thumb facing out, fingers hooked in. Bend your right arm in, thumb inward, fingers hooked in, and link the hands via those hooked fingers. Pull back against the windpipe and not the blood vessels. Do not pass out.

It worked for me, at any rate. A good chokehold tends to fix any problem.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

And here I just drink lemon and honey to get rid of that coughing feeling. Who knew I could put myself in a choke hold instead?

:tongue:
Last edited by Maj on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Maj wrote:And here I just drink lemon and honey to get rid of that coughing feeling. Who knew I could put myself in a choke hold instead?

:tongue:
There you go again, not thinking with the hardcore side of your brain. :tongue:
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Blasted wrote: How does that work?
Apparently, you click a box saying "I am a degree seeking student", and that's all it takes to qualify for loans.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Doom wrote:
Apparently, you click a box saying "I am a degree seeking student", and that's all it takes to qualify for loans.
Of course. Not only do the students pay back the loans with interest, they are now eligible for higher pay jobs which means more income in taxes.

Government spending on education is pretty much an excuse to print money. I don't know why anyone would cut it.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

Doom wrote:
Are the loans of an especially low or no interest rate? Can the money be spent on anything besides education?
My mind just boggles at the thought of a student doing the same course for 3 years. The universities around here have limits on redoing courses.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Maj wrote:And here I just drink lemon and honey to get rid of that coughing feeling. Who knew I could put myself in a choke hold instead?
You can drink things when in a coughing fit? That's pretty awesome.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Well, they don't have to redo courses, they can just shuffle around forever on 'elective courses'. For example, they can take Gender Studies, then Gender Studies for Minorities, then Gender Studies in Children, then Gender Studies in Minority Children...dozens of variations. Then comes Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, then Child Psychology, etc. Check your catalogue, a large university has jillions of courses you can take, if you're not actually trying for a degree.

Basically, they sign up, qualify for loans. Loans go through the Admin office, they take out the money for tuition, student gets the rest; other loans go directly to the student. $5000 a semester is trivially easy to get, more depends on effort to fill out forms and such.

This one student I have this semester in my sub-remedial math class pretty much sums up the ridiculousness of it. She's been here for two years now, every semester sending a note to her teachers about why she's missed a few months of class. They're funny notes due to marginal literacy, and we share them (small college). This is the first time I've had her in my class (I normally don't teach sub-remedial, but we've had insane growth the last few years, doubling student base, tripling administrators, increasing faculty by 20%).

She wanted to, and I'm quoting, "CUM TA YA OFISE" to discuss her grade, made the appointment, never showed up. She failed the course (got a D, actually, so I guess that's something).

Two years and $20,000 in loans later, and she's now, assuming she takes her full time courses optimally and fails never again, she's now 2 years away from getting her 2 year degree. Insane, and while her writing is exceptional, her situation isn't by any means.

Count, the idea that these loans necessarily pay off by qualifying for higher income jobs is most questionable, as quite a number of recent articles have discussed. The GI Bill worked in the late '40s and '50s, but the world has changed quite a bit since then.

The loans are low interest, massively deferred; unfortunately, you can't get rid of the loan via bankruptcy or anything, you're stuck with them forever (or until you pay them off, which is unlikely for quite a number of students).
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Koumei wrote:You can drink things when in a coughing fit? That's pretty awesome.
Yes. There's generally some point at which I breathe in so I can cough more. That's when I sneak in a small sip, which usually calms things enough to drink more.

Throwing up is not my idea of a fun time. I will find a way to take a sip if it means I'm not violently ill.
Blasted wrote:Are the loans of an especially low or no interest rate? Can the money be spent on anything besides education?
The thing about student loans is that you don't need established credit to get them, the interest rates are generally under 10%, you can defer payment until you graduate (longer given certain circumstances), and they money can be sometimes used on things tangential to education: room, board, books, other living expenses. When Ess got his student loans, they covered classes, books, and cost of living $2000 beyond the cost of school per quarter. I don't know if things are still that way, though.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I realized tonight that it's pretty much dead easy to come up with believable California city names, just take the spanish form of a saint's name.

Santa Lela
Santa Rita/Margarita
etc.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Maj wrote:Today I learned about a transgendered (?) spy who worked under King Louis XV, Chevalier d'Eon.

I think that's pretty damned cool.
THere's a kinda okay anime about the knight. I watched like two episodes and I wasn't very impressed.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I actually learned about le Chevalier because I was reading about the anime. But the anime doesn't sound nearly as cool as the real story.

:)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Today I learned I am still not allergic to bees (and therefore ants*, wasps and hornets). Might have even done something for the irrational fear, too.

And I picked the best place to step on one: right outside the pharmacy I had just bought medication from. So I could just stagger back in and ask to have the stinger plucked.

*Who are just wasps that are too stupid to fly.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I learnt the terms bagpiping, and Rusty truck pump. I don't think I'll ever be the same again. If you are looking this up, then NSFW.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Maj wrote:I actually learned about le Chevalier because I was reading about the anime. But the anime doesn't sound nearly as cool as the real story.

:)
Anime is usually disappointing but if you read a synopsis on, say, Wikipedia it does seem more interesting.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I learned today that I'm great at expectantly waiting. Apparently. With two year olds.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I was talking with my grandmother over Christmas, and I learned a few interesting things about my family history. Apparently she comes from a very long line of east-coast natives. Specifically, a branch of the Marsh family. The kicker is that she has a small hole in front of each ear which she claims is a vestigial gill.

I was left wondering if she's read H. P. Lovecraft and was just messing with me (which would be completely uncharacteristic, but who knows...).
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I'd say she almost certainly has.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.