[Dom3] ANOTHER newbie game - MA, [5/5] - In progress

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Drago0661
Master

Post by Drago0661 »

DSMatticus wrote:This got way more complicated than it was fucking meant to.
This pretty much. I'm surprised that a vote to restart caused this much commotion.

But I'm still ok with restarting.

I feel like the spoiler of start locations and mentioned plans by Ashdod may have ruined the game a bit.

What are other people's thoughts?
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

My thoughts are that I really just wanted to play a game, and I'm kind of amazed (but in retrospect not that surprised) by the amount of drama here. I really don't care what happens and figured a majority agreed to a restart, so I set up another game with the map as edited by DSM. That's pretty much all there is to it.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Holy shitfuck drama.

Anyways, about to send my pretender to the other game. Sorry this took a while - had to teach folks about set theory.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Well, there's at least one easy decision point: if Winnah doesn't want to play the first game anymore, we have a solo underwater AI on turn 3. Seems restart worthy.

Otherwise, if it's gonna cause any resentment that we're restarting, I'd rather just avoid that: this wasn't supposed to piss anyone off. I'm probably the best faction to deal with some chance-nerfing anyway.

If we do go with the restart, as we seem to be doing, I checked the current map and it should have no start sites with less than three connections to the same type as themself (land or sea). There are a handful with three exactly. I won't feel shafted if I get one, but I'm totally open to raising the minimum to four (a la zinegata's recommendation) if anyone else feels like that is a weak start. If we're gonna redo it, let's get it right, I guess.
Drago0661
Master

Post by Drago0661 »

I'm ok with no less than 3 connections, let's just get this restart going again, and maybe find a 6th player.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

DSMatticus wrote:Well, there's at least one easy decision point: if Winnah doesn't want to play the first game anymore, we have a solo underwater AI on turn 3. Seems restart worthy.
Dafuq

You wanted the fucking restart. Another game was started...But somehow I'm the one that forced the restart?

Let's be clear, you said you were content to play until you saw your independant neighbours, then you start strawmanning about only having an island province to justify restarting until you get a position you like.

I'll repeat what I said earlier. No underwater nation, no need for water provinces. No coastal starts. Problem fucking solved. Everyone wins.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Winnah wrote:Dafuq

You wanted the fucking restart. Another game was started...But somehow I'm the one that forced the restart?
No. I said I'd play whichever game got people to actually play, including the original.
Winnah wrote:Let's be clear, you said you were content to play until you saw your independant neighbours, then you start strawmanning about only having an island province to justify restarting until you get a position you like.
DSM wrote:Actually, no. I was happy because I was starting in a lightly-forested area near a city, but this actually sucks hard. I only have two land connections to my capital, and two sea connections which will inevitably be R'lyeh's. For a faction with high-resource cap-only sacreds, I just got royally fucked. And that's on top of having another player own literally half the provinces around my capital. Why does this map not have any no start tags?

I'm going to ask for a do-over, but I won't bitch if I don't get one and I'll just play normally. Two land neighbors is kind of the threshold for starting shittiness I'm willing to silently tolerate, especially as someone like Ashdod, so I've got to try. I'd even be willing to modify the map and no start the provinces that don't contain at least three connections to the same type of province (land or sea). I really don't want to hold the game up any more, but damn this is shitty.
Fuck you, barrel of cocks, lrn2read, etcetera. It got worse from there, but I asked for the restart as soon as I saw turn 1 and now you are just flat-out lying to make me seem like an asshole.

But whatever: looks like we're moving forward with the restart.

@Drago, if we want a sixth, MisterDee tried to get in but he was a little late, didn't he? He said he just bought the game. Maybe we can get a hold of him. But I'd like to get things started again soon. Edit: Sent him a PM, if he responds within some reasonable time I say we let him.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue May 22, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

I closed down the first game and PMed MisterDee. We'll use the map as you originally edited it, DSM, in the interest of time.
Last edited by Archmage on Tue May 22, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

DSMatticus: your initial request for a restart was denied. As it should have been. You then continued to whine like a beaten dog until people agreed to restart for you, on the basis of the strength of your neighbors. Then someone didn't want to play anymore, and that is a reasonable stance given how much you were whining. So you switched from complaining to swearing and name calling. Also, your series of events basically excludes the part where people told you to accept your start at first and you couldn't stop whining. Also you play one of the most powerful nations in the game and act like you are crippled because you don't have enough neighbors, have a waaaaaaambulance. You earned it.

MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Actually - thanks for the invite, but something came up on my end and I'm not going to be able to join this one (unless you guys want to wait for a week to start it, which would probably lead to actual war in the actual real world)

:)

Stupid real life...
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Spoilered drama, you can spare your eyes. It'll be my last post on the topic.
Akula wrote:DSMatticus: your initial request for a restart was denied. As it should have been. You then continued to whine like a beaten dog until people agreed to restart for you, on the basis of the strength of your neighbors.
Are you pretending those events are independent? That having the shittiest start in the game by a wide margin isn't made shittier by shit neighbors, and that because I mentioned each separately, really the cause can only be one of them? How hard are you trying to twist this?

Note: I didn't demand or insist on the restart. I asked for one on turn 1, explained when asked how much turn 2 twisted the knife. Yes, I was bitching. I had the worst start of all the VP's on the map by a wide margin. Not getting anything approaching a fair start is grounds for a turn or two of bitching. I didn't sign up to play with a substantial handicap, even if for whatever reason you think I should just suck it up (you hate Ashdod, blah blah blah whatever). I would have played, because ragequitting is stupid, but yes: getting shafted from turn 1 in a totally bullshit way is a great way to kill your initial enthusiasm. I seriously don't mind losing battles, wars, games; I've gotten quite proficient at it. It's not a buzz-kill, it's a learning experience and almost enjoyable, in an "oh god why did that happen" kind of way. But there's nothing to learn or enjoy about a shit start, except the need for better map preparation.
Akula wrote:So you switched from complaining to swearing and name calling.
1) Welcome to the gaming den. We occasionally use some dirty language. The entire name-calling of that post extends to jerk. That is the exhaustive list. If anyone took that super seriously and that got through their skin, how the fuck are they here?
2) Winnah lead strong with the exact same strawman that has been pissing me off the entire time; "wah, my indies are hard," ignoring everything else I had said. Like, you know, the only post where I actually asked for a restart which was on turn 1 before you even see indies. Yes, that sort of misrepresentation pisses me off. Yes, my language was colorful, and yes, I called him a (le gasp!) jerk. All in all, I was considerably more diplomatic than I wanted to be or should have been. No, strawmanning someone is not going to ever lead to civil conversation. If you want polite discussion over tea, don't do that.

Just go on ignore for a little bit. It's not personal, even though I think you're being fucking retarded, it's just the only way I've ever succcessfully walked away from a fite on teh internets (I have a problem) and this needs to stop.
MisterDee wrote:Actually - thanks for the invite, but something came up on my end and I'm not going to be able to join this one (unless you guys want to wait for a week to start it, which would probably lead to actual war in the actual real world)
That sounds like it would make for a nuclear apocalypse, yes. Let's not do that. Better luck next time, though.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

OK, in the interest of expedience, I've decided we might as well keep the same map. I adjusted the number of players and the number of VPs--there are now 6 required to win and 4 randoms on the map plus home provinces.

Since 5 of 5 people have submitted pretenders, I've started the game. If this is a problem and people are truly unhappy about the settings, please say so--otherwise I'd like to actually start things.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

It's fine with me. At this point I wouldn't dare say a word if I started with Bogus fucking up my capital. :tongue:

If I messed up the map, missed a bad start, and someone else got screwed (relatively speaking to the standards I set out for making the map), I will borrow one of Shinuyama's swords and commit seppuku in disgrace.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue May 22, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

My game just trolled me. Half my capital's population died. Wow. Fun.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

This game is the most ill-fated thing I have ever touched.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Mister_Sinister wrote:My game just trolled me. Half my capital's population died. Wow. Fun.
Earning those bad scales, or did you just get horribly, horribly unlucky?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Looking at the Event DB:
  • A plague has struck the land. Empty cabins and rotting corpses litter the landscape. Half the population of the province has died.
    Requirement: Death 3
    Effect: poploss 50%, unrest +10, eventid_blackdeath
  • An unnatural plague has swept the province, killing thousands. Magical death gems were found in the decaying corpses. Rumors of the mythical Crown of Darkness have circulated in the province ever since.
    Requirement: magic 3, death 2, land, minpop 200 (Good Event?!)
    Effect: poploss 50%, 4d6 death gems, unrest +10
  • A plague has struck the land. Empty cabins and rotting corpses litter the landscape.
    Requirement: Turn 10
    Effect: poploss 50%, unrest +10
  • A plague has struck the land. Empty cabins and rotting corpses litter the landscape.
    Requirement: Turn 5, Death 1
    Effect: poploss 50%, unrest +10
  • Some ancient Power has been disturbed, turning everyone in the province into mindless plant beings!
    Reuirement: turn 10, growth 1, land, forest, no monster 641 in game
    Effect: poploss 95%, province attacked by the Ancient Presence (641) equipped with a class 3 item leading 16d6 Manikins (313) and 10d6 Mandragora (314)
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Man, here I was feeling bummed cause my capital got hit with 35 Unrest on turn 2.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I don't think d2 is compatible with any amount of misfortune. Jesus, those are terribad. They really need turn 5 or turn 10 limits.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Yikes. Well, it's still anybody's game, I think. I'm really hoping my last set of moves doesn't turn out to be a horrible mistake.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I have O3D3L1. Being hit with this event is highly, highly improbable. Oh well.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Hello to Mictlan. Let it be known that we intend to install a zen arden in province 68.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Orion wrote:Hello to Mictlan. Let it be known that we intend to install a zen arden in province 68.
Mictlan has no quarrel with the worshippers of Weeaboo, so long as you have no intent to continue your expansion in our direction. We agree to no formal treaties of continued non-aggression, but you may take province 68 so long as we are allowed to continue holding province 66.

That said, enjoy your rocks.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

These random events are fucking me off. First a plague kills half my cap population, then I get a necromancer attacking me. Yeah, Dom3 logic again.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Herpity-herp, double post derp.
Last edited by koz on Thu May 24, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.