Pathfinder

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Casting teleport or a similar spell while falling does not end your momentum, it just changes your location, meaning that you still take falling damage, even if you arrive atop a solid surface.
WUT?!?

That is the stupidest fucking addon piece of shit rule ... I mean, it's a planet, there's orbital momentum, rotational momentum, gravitational potential, ... the energy gains and losses are ludicrous, but suddenly it can't absorb a few kJ of energy from a fall? WTF?

God damn it Pathfinder, stop being a shitty punitive DM. Even EGG, who had teleport spells randomly cause TPKs, wouldn't have pulled that shit to punish you for being creative with it.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

...what the fuck.

I knew Pathfinder had some stupid rules, but that's just fucking ridiculous.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

icyshadowlord wrote:...what the fuck.

I knew Pathfinder had some stupid rules, but that's just fucking ridiculous.
Best part the DM can randomly mention that after casting since it is hidden in falling rules not in any other spot so players are not likely to know that rule as DMs.
PF is less organized as 3.5 sadly.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

tussock wrote:
Casting teleport or a similar spell while falling does not end your momentum, it just changes your location, meaning that you still take falling damage, even if you arrive atop a solid surface.
WUT?!?

That is the stupidest fucking addon piece of shit rule ... I mean, it's a planet, there's orbital momentum, rotational momentum, gravitational potential, ... the energy gains and losses are ludicrous, but suddenly it can't absorb a few kJ of energy from a fall? WTF?

God damn it Pathfinder, stop being a shitty punitive DM. Even EGG, who had teleport spells randomly cause TPKs, wouldn't have pulled that shit to punish you for being creative with it.
Weaponize it:
1) Pick a big rock (the heaviest you can teleport with)
2) teleport way up and build falling momentum. Better done if you teleport over the atmosphere, so none of that silly "air resistance" can limit your falling damage to 20d6. (everybody can hold their breath for one measly round)
3) Next round you teleport right over your target
4) release the rock
5) cast feather fall

Works underground too! Bring the happiness of kinetic bombardments to the deep levels of a dungeon.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

It is one of the great tragedies of Pathfinder that they got rid of serious kinetic bombardments when they redid the falling object rules. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/e ... ntal-rules
And by tragedy, I mean, now you can't kill anything you want by dropping 50 pounds of doorknobs on it.
Emerald
Knight-Baron

Post by Emerald »

tussock wrote:
WUT?!?

The worst part is, teleport isn't even supposed to deal with physics at all. It doesn't pick you up, protect you while moving you through the air at stupidly fast speeds, adjust for momentum and gravity, slow you down again, and set you down in your destination. It sends you through the Astral Plane, a plane where movement is determined by your thoughts rather than any laws of physics and things don't age or decay while they're there, and the spell doesn't "remember" your initial state on the Prime before sending you there any more than it would do so if you plane shifted to the Astral and then went through a portal to a different plane.

So it's not that there's an ambiguity in the rules and they're clarifying that teleport doesn't compensates for a change in momentum, it's that they're changing the fact that teleport sends you through a plane where the terms "momentum" and "desire" and "GIANT FROG" are equally relevant to describing motion.

There is one positive aspect to this change, though: if teleport now deals with physics and momentum and therefore can't possibly send you through the Astral Plane anymore, that means things like dimensional anchor shouldn't stop you from teleporting anymore. :D
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Emerald wrote:There is one positive aspect to this change, though: if teleport now deals with physics and momentum and therefore can't possibly send you through the Astral Plane anymore, that means things like dimensional anchor shouldn't stop you from teleporting anymore. :D
I remember some "magical theory" that explained scryings and teleports as tubes formed through the astral (was it on GitP?), with the transport tubes acting like wormholes.

Your own interpretation makes a lot of sense, but since magic works on bullshit, it takes minimal effort to explain why teleport keeps your momentum.

My own theory is that someone on Paizo played too much Portal or read too much X-Men.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Emerald
Knight-Baron

Post by Emerald »

nockermensch wrote:I remember some "magical theory" that explained scryings and teleports as tubes formed through the astral (was it on GitP?), with the transport tubes acting like wormholes.
I don't know about scrying, but by RAW portals actually are wormhole conduits through the Astral, to the point that astral travelers can see and latch onto the conduit to get to the portal (MotP 48). One would assume teleportation works the same way, except that obviously the conduits don't last long enough to be seen and latched onto.
K
King

Post by K »

According to Manual of the Planes, teleport does not work in planes that don't have access to the Astral because it needs the Astral to function.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Are we still doing builds in here?

As some of you may remember, the pathfinder Ninja makes me shoot huge loads all over the place because it's better than the Rogue. That being said, I'm in a new campaign and wanted to build a solid Ninja. I think I got it together because I have a 25 point buy (so I'm strength based with enough dex for TWF, and still a 14 con, 12 wis and 14 cha). Any ideas on how I should build?

I'm using a double chained kama. I know it's not the best weapon, but the party isn't heavily optimized (though it has two casters) and I don't want to outshine people with the 18-20 crit shenanigans of eastern weapons. Plus I think it looks cool so I'll be over here weaving some baskets.

Is combat expertise worth it at level 3 so I can AoO the shit out of things that want to reach my squishies (which includes myself)? I was debating that stupid +1 to hit feat (Ninja's can take it as a trick, and you get one every 2 levels) because 3/4ths BaB and a non-20 strength (attack routine of +2 (1d6+4)/ +2(1d6+2)). Will my to-hit being low be a big deal, or will BaB quickly outscale AC to the point where a +1 to hit won't mean anything?

I have literally only played casters before, so I don't know what to do with a squishy melee. Obviously I'll take the ninja's form of mirror image at 2 because a couple good hits can kill me with my D8 and 14 Con, but after that I'm not sure what to do. I guess invisibility trick? The Ninja tricks, while better than rogue talents, are still pretty underwhelming except for a few gems (mirror image, vanishing trick).

Advice for making a badass Ninja?
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

nockermensch wrote: Your own interpretation makes a lot of sense, but since magic works on bullshit, it takes minimal effort to explain why teleport keeps your momentum.
Sure, it takes minimal effort to explain any sort of magical bullshit, but that isn't really the point.

The point is:
-Pathfinder is D&D. This was explained as the point of Pathfinder, to continue 3.x edition.

-D&D didn't do this, didn't need this, and this is pretty much a random change for no reason

-Hiding this in the falling rules (rather than, say, the teleport rules) is pretty much a purely dickish thing to do. Especially since people were really looking at spells for Pathfinder changes, but falling rules... not so much.

- It is also just the kind of thing a bad DM will do to punish a player. Expending a 5th level spell to not die from falling isn't a unreasonable premise. 'Nuh-uh, conservation of momentum' is pretty much a pure Gygaxian asshat move.
Last edited by Voss on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Voss wrote:
nockermensch wrote: Your own interpretation makes a lot of sense, but since magic works on bullshit, it takes minimal effort to explain why teleport keeps your momentum.
Sure, it takes minimal effort to explain any sort of magical bullshit, but that isn't really the point.

The point is:
-Pathfinder is D&D. This was explained as the point of Pathfinder, to continue 3.x edition.

-D&D didn't do this, didn't need this, and this is pretty much a random change for no reason

-Hiding this in the falling rules (rather than, say, the teleport rules) is pretty much a purely dickish thing to do. Especially since people were really looking at spells for Pathfinder changes, but falling rules... not so much.

- It is also just the kind of thing a bad DM will do to punish a player. Expending a 5th level spell to not die from falling isn't a unreasonable premise. 'Nuh-uh, conservation of momentum' is pretty much a pure Gygaxian asshat move.
I agree completely here. If I'm DMing Pathfinder (perish the thought) and somebody mentions this rule to me, I'll probably consult with the players if we should outright ignore it and return to the 3.X standard or if they're alright with it.

And if they are alright with it, for some bizarre reason, I'd then propose as a house rule that all teleporting spells allow you to shift the plane through which you exit, for Portal shenanigans. Then people can still kind of negate falling damage by exiting the teleport paralel to the ground. They'll take some d6 while they roll violently through the ground, but it won't be a "splat" anymore.
@ @ Nockermensch
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Personally, I would just ignore almost every ninja trick. The only ninja tricks that are worth a damn are Pressure Point, Rogue Talent, Advanced Rogue Talent, Vanishing Trick + Invisible Master, and Feat. You'll notice that half of the Tricks on the aforementioned list are not really ninja schticks. If you want to use sneak attack to dish out large amounts of damage in return for not really getting any other unique abilities (like trapfinding), the ninja is right up your alley, though.

Even so, if you did want to just do cynical damage I would personally just save up all of my money and beg the magic item crafter to make me Sniper Goggles ASAP rather than investing in melee attacks. And grabbing Manyshot/Rapid Shot along the way of course.

If you take the Weapon Finesse feat (and why wouldn't you, if you're a rogue or a Ninja that's fighting with melee weapons?) the Agile weapon enhancement is a good idea. Since the double-chained kama works like two kamas when you're not using it in reach mode it's a candidate.

If you're going to get high enough level, the monk vows are free money. If you end up getting to level 7, Blinding Sneak Attack is one of the best arguments towards being a tiefling rogue ninja ever. Aside from the fact that you get a +2 to dexterity and intelligence and the always boss Prehensile Tail option.

If you're in it for the mid-level long haul and view rogues as a way of delivering sneak attack damage, the Sap Adept + Unarmed Strike route is the way to go. Don't sink an feat into unarmed strike, just use a Wayfinder with a plain jane Deep Red Sphere Ioun Stone. It'll only cost you 700 gp.

Shadow Clone for mirror image really isn't an option at low level. And by the time you have a high enough ninja level to actually, you know, use it there are better ways of getting mirror image.

So, your ninja character would look something like this.

Tiefling Ninja 7
STR: 9 (-1 point) DEX: 20 (+17 points) CON: 14 (+5 points) INT: 14 (+2 points) WIS: 10 CHA: 10 (+2 points) = 25 points.
1: Weapon Finesse
2N: Rogue Talent -> Combat Trick -> Two-Weapon Fighting
3: Enforcer
4N: Rogue Talent -> Combat Trick -> Nightmare Fist (If you're absolutely not going to use unarmed strikes, use Weapon Focus instead)
5: Nightmare Weaver -- Sorta-dead level, Nightmare Weaver is just a prerequisite for the level 9 feat. (If you're absolutely not going to use unarmed strikes, use Dazzling Display instead)
6N: Sap Adept -- It's only so-so right now, but will be ridiculously good against foes that take non-lethal damage at level 9.
7: Blinding Sneak Attack
8N: Rogue Talent -> Combat Trick -> Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
9: Shatter Defenses -- Natch.

If you go this route then you're going to have to pick up the merciful property for your weapon if you don't go with unarmed strikes. In Pathfinder, unless you're doing some weird edge-case build, there's very little reason to fight with other weapons past level 6 or so. That's because the Amulet of Mighty Fists can be enchanted (even a +0 flaming weapon for instance) with weapon properties and stack with Gauntlets. And we already know how fucked-up the magic item pricing is in 3E D&D.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Personally, I would just ignore almost every ninja trick. The only ninja tricks that are worth a damn are Pressure Point, Rogue Talent, Advanced Rogue Talent, Vanishing Trick + Invisible Master, and Feat. You'll notice that half of the Tricks on the aforementioned list are not really ninja schticks. If you want to use sneak attack to dish out large amounts of damage in return for not really getting any other unique abilities (like trapfinding), the ninja is right up your alley, though.

Even so, if you did want to just do cynical damage I would personally just save up all of my money and beg the magic item crafter to make me Sniper Goggles ASAP rather than investing in melee attacks. And grabbing Manyshot/Rapid Shot along the way of course.

If you take the Weapon Finesse feat (and why wouldn't you, if you're a rogue or a Ninja that's fighting with melee weapons?) the Agile weapon enhancement is a good idea. Since the double-chained kama works like two kamas when you're not using it in reach mode it's a candidate.

If you're going to get high enough level, the monk vows are free money. If you end up getting to level 7, Blinding Sneak Attack is one of the best arguments towards being a tiefling rogue ninja ever. Aside from the fact that you get a +2 to dexterity and intelligence and the always boss Prehensile Tail option.

If you're in it for the mid-level long haul and view rogues as a way of delivering sneak attack damage, the Sap Adept + Unarmed Strike route is the way to go. Don't sink an feat into unarmed strike, just use a Wayfinder with a plain jane Deep Red Sphere Ioun Stone. It'll only cost you 700 gp.

Shadow Clone for mirror image really isn't an option at low level. And by the time you have a high enough ninja level to actually, you know, use it there are better ways of getting mirror image.

So, your ninja character would look something like this.

Tiefling Ninja 7
STR: 9 (-1 point) DEX: 20 (+17 points) CON: 14 (+5 points) INT: 14 (+2 points) WIS: 10 CHA: 10 (+2 points) = 25 points.
1: Weapon Finesse
2N: Rogue Talent -> Combat Trick -> Two-Weapon Fighting
3: Enforcer
4N: Rogue Talent -> Combat Trick -> Nightmare Fist (If you're absolutely not going to use unarmed strikes, use Weapon Focus instead)
5: Nightmare Weaver -- Sorta-dead level, Nightmare Weaver is just a prerequisite for the level 9 feat. (If you're absolutely not going to use unarmed strikes, use Dazzling Display instead)
6N: Sap Adept -- It's only so-so right now, but will be ridiculously good against foes that take non-lethal damage at level 9.
7: Blinding Sneak Attack
8N: Rogue Talent -> Combat Trick -> Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
9: Shatter Defenses -- Natch.

If you go this route then you're going to have to pick up the merciful property for your weapon if you don't go with unarmed strikes. In Pathfinder, unless you're doing some weird edge-case build, there's very little reason to fight with other weapons past level 6 or so. That's because the Amulet of Mighty Fists can be enchanted (even a +0 flaming weapon for instance) with weapon properties and stack with Gauntlets. And we already know how fucked-up the magic item pricing is in 3E D&D.
You really hate ninjas that much? They're better than the Rogue at combat, what with their ki pool and the ability to do an extra attack at their highest bonus with it. What do Rogues get that Ninja's don't aside from earlier evasion and trap finding?

For tricks, I know a lot of them aren't very good (same with rogue talents), but the free ki pool and bonus attack is still better than stuff Rogues get. Also, your hate of Shadow Clone seems a little strange to me. Access to mirror image (even if only 3x a day at level 2) is pretty strong. Also, can a swift action be used after a full attack? If so that makes vanishing trick the best fucking thing ever.

Tiefling won't fly, though, strong as it is. Is there a reasonable way to optimize a human Ninja that deals lethal damage with a dck? I just want to blow things up in melee and not die. Contributing outside of combat is easy enough because of stealth and CHA skills.

I really think Strength based is where it's at for the sake of Dex doing fuck-all for me except qualifying for TWF and Int not mattering because most skills are just bad magic or really niche. I know that Dex-based is very strong once I get the right magic weapon properties, but I want to be reasonably strong at level 1 and just maintain my niche (murder via sneak attack + a bunch of attacks) at later levels. Is there a way for dex-based to be strong right out of the gate?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

The ninja-exclusive abilities aren't bad in that that you'd forget about them entirely, it's just that by and large they compare poorly to using it to grab a feat. Since rogues can do this as well, what ends up happening is that the ninja ends up marginally stronger in melee combat. Even the ninja that are passably okay within a given level range like Shadow Clone end up dragging you down in the long run. If you're planning on playing a one-campaign deal where you max out at level 3, that's fine and all, but if you're in it for the long haul you have better options.

I'm not so hot to trot on the ninja tricks even at this range though because you get pitifully few ki points until around level 6 or so unless you invest in what would otherwise be a dump stat -- a dump stat which will give you less proportional benefit as the game goes on. Seriously, a level 4 ninja with 12 charisma has three frickin' ki points.
PS wrote:I really think Strength based is where it's at for the sake of Dex doing fuck-all for me except qualifying for TWF and Int not mattering because most skills are just bad magic or really niche. I know that Dex-based is very strong once I get the right magic weapon properties, but I want to be reasonably strong at level 1 and just maintain my niche (murder via sneak attack + a bunch of attacks) at later levels.
You're on a PF-specific 25 point buy, you're low level, you have light armor, you plan to fight in melee, and you're not using a shield. Maxing out your dexterity is simply not negotiable. Having a decent score in constitution is not negotiable. Having a decent charisma is also not negotiable unless you're willing to go without ki points (the big selling point of a ninja over a rogue if you're not using weapon proficiencies) for a few levels.

Strength is the odd-man-out, sadly. You could dump intelligence and wisdom I suppose, but personally I hate roleplaying my character like a slow-witted buffoon. And you're going to have to dump out the ass.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:
Advice for making a badass Ninja?
Be a vivisectionist alchemist and call it a ninja. I'm actually fairly serious, as you get things that actually matter that way. The ki pool is a terrible and sad mechanic, and often involves taking tricks as feats to get more ki points, which is like some level based pyramid scheme in which you end up not getting anything meaningful at all once you catch up to yourself. Alternately you accept the fact that you can make an extra stab a couple times per day and take abilities that don't use ki. If you (and the campaign) make it to level six or so, you _might_ be able to salvage something out of the ki pool system, but you'll have to set a lot of stuff on fire from level 1-4 to pull that off.

But either way, the strength based concept has to go. I don't know that I'd go as far as Lago and make it a dump stat, but the majority of your damage isn't going to come from your strength bonus, and you're going to at least want an AC that isn't actively embarrassing.

Hobgoblin is a pretty good choice for this sort of character. Dex, Con, no penalties, darkvision and +4 to sneak.

You can also point and laugh at the ironskin monk, which is fucking horrible by both pathfinder and monk standards. http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/adva ... blins.html
So, lose your wisdom bonus to AC and CMB in exchange for +1 natural armor, and have that increase at the rate your untyped bonus would have. So... big net loss, all the way around.
Last edited by Voss on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

So this teleport momentum thing . . .

What frame of reference do you retain physical properties to? If you fall a few thousand feet and then teleport a quarter of the way around the globe, do you end up shooting along parallel to the ground, on you back? Can you use this to teleport-dropkick-ambush your enemies?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:Can you use this to teleport-dropkick-ambush your enemies?
I APPROVE!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

So you want to be a Str-Ninja. You're a light fighter who gets sneak attacks, it's all about the damage, damage, and damage. As with everything d20, you start with a 20, so your actual attacks get +5 to hit. I notice you've given yourself some Wisdom: don't do that, you have no Wisdom-based anything. 20/14/14/10/7/12 seems reasonable, if you can really think of an 8th and 9th skill you need. Otherwise 20/14/14/7/7/14.

Now, you wanted TWFing to get synergies on the sneak, which is sort of overkill, but either way you'll want to invest in a nice double weapon, one of the d8/d8 types. Don't worry about trips and such, just kill things with damage. Feat-wise, all your tricks may as well be feats, you want more attacks, more speed, more reach, more attacks while moving, a charge that doesn't suck, and automatic sneak attacks all the time. Get the casters to focus on holding your enemies in place with AC penalties so you can wail on them. Improved Init is always good.

Get hit bonuses where you can, strength boosts, spells, and masterwork early on, you're missing around 50% of the time at low levels otherwise, poor form. Temporary stuff though, to scrap it later for more attacks.

Now, can you kill a giant? 140 hit points at 7th level is 1d8+10+4d6 for 5 hits to kill, which you can do with a charge and one more round if they all hit. So probably not, you'll need to avoid things like that and have some sort of backup shoot-n-scoot missile tactic for when the casters fail on their lockdowns.

Enjoy your jumped-up Fighter, consider seppuku if the game ever gets past 10th level.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

tussock wrote:
So you want to be a Str-Ninja. You're a light fighter who gets sneak attacks, it's all about the damage, damage, and damage. As with everything d20, you start with a 20, so your actual attacks get +5 to hit. I notice you've given yourself some Wisdom: don't do that, you have no Wisdom-based anything. 20/14/14/10/7/12 seems reasonable, if you can really think of an 8th and 9th skill you need. Otherwise 20/14/14/7/7/14.

Now, you wanted TWFing to get synergies on the sneak, which is sort of overkill, but either way you'll want to invest in a nice double weapon, one of the d8/d8 types. Don't worry about trips and such, just kill things with damage. Feat-wise, all your tricks may as well be feats, you want more attacks, more speed, more reach, more attacks while moving, a charge that doesn't suck, and automatic sneak attacks all the time. Get the casters to focus on holding your enemies in place with AC penalties so you can wail on them. Improved Init is always good.

Get hit bonuses where you can, strength boosts, spells, and masterwork early on, you're missing around 50% of the time at low levels otherwise, poor form. Temporary stuff though, to scrap it later for more attacks.

Now, can you kill a giant? 140 hit points at 7th level is 1d8+10+4d6 for 5 hits to kill, which you can do with a charge and one more round if they all hit. So probably not, you'll need to avoid things like that and have some sort of backup shoot-n-scoot missile tactic for when the casters fail on their lockdowns.

Enjoy your jumped-up Fighter, consider seppuku if the game ever gets past 10th level.
I statted up a level 8 str-based Ninja. Here's some stuff. I took some of the advice here to make it get more deeps. Also, the DCK was ruled to be full-attackable (non-TWF) from range, whether or not that's how it works because the description is weird.

Human (dual talent for double +2s) Ninja level 8

BAB +6/+1

Stats

Str: 22
Dex: 17
Con: 14
Int: 7
Wis: 12
Cha: 14

HP: 55 (.5)

Defenses: AC 19 touch 14 flat footed 16

Traits give +1 fort and +2 init.

Fort: +7
Ref: +11
Will: +5

Ki pool: 6

Hit bonuses: BAB (+6) Str (+6) Weap focus (+1) Masterwork/magic weapon (+1)

Basic attack: (10 ft, +14 1d6+10)

Full attack 5ft: +12(1d6+7)/+7(1d6+7)/+12(1d6+6)/+12(1d6+6)/+7(1d6+6)

Full attack 10ft: +14(1d6+9)/+14(1d6+9)/+9(1d6+9)

Avg damage of nova round (sneak attack, all hits + ki point bonus attack) = 144 damage

Avg damage of full attack w/sneak, all hits= 120 damage

DPR with full attack (sneak) vs target AC of 20 [no crits]= 59.7

DPR with nova full attack w/sneak vs target AC of 20 [no crits] = 74.4

DPR (full attack w/sneak) with +2/+2 instead of speed/+1 vs AC 20: 53.75

DPR full attack with no sneak attack vs AC 20: 24.7 (not so bad I guess)

Special: Sneak attack +4d6
Can use 1 ki point during a full attack for a bonus attack of +12(1d6+7) damage

Ninja Tricks:
Vanishing Trick
Weapon training
Combat trick (bonus for favored class level 6)
Pressure Points
Shadow Clone

Feats: Two Weapon Fighting
Combat Reflexes
Weapon Focus (dck) (bonus from trick)
Double Slice (bonus from trick)
Improved Init
Improved TWF

Items: Double chained Kama (Wyroot speed/ Wyroot +1) (19,000 + 3,000) [22,000]
Belt of strength +2 (4,000)
Cloak of resistance +2 (4,000)
Ring of protection +1 (2,000)
+1 Chain Shirt (1,000)

I know the items are poorly thought out. I should really not get a speed weapon because the DPR loss is pretty low and the savings are incredible. A realistic item build would be Wyroot +1 on each end of the DCK and then rock a belt of str +4 while spending everything else on getting my defenses to be less shitty. It lets me put over 10k more gold into defensive spending, and both my saves and AC are terrible so I need that.

I'm also considering the rogue trick for +1 dodge to AC per SA die rolled whenever I SA a fool, because the only time I'm worried about getting hit is when I stop being invisible and start stabbing things (plus uncanny dodge means I won't lose the bonus).

Ditching shadow clone is definitely looking like an option, especially if you can use a swift action after a full attack so I can pop invis if there are a lot of mean monsters near me after I stab things.

Any ideas on things to change? Rules are only 1 stat can be dumped and I'm using the DCK. I want to figure out how to MAXIMIZE THE DEEPS and NOT DIE IMMEDIATELY.

Also, about seppuku past 10th level, that's when you take the rogue talent crippling strike and deal 3 str damage (in addition to normal damage) every attack with SA. Anybody who isn't immune to SA/melee in general is going to be rendered useless or unconscious after just one round of that. It's kind of cheesy though, and when maximizing damage that's really what should be killing things...

As a side note, you may be able to tell I don't know how weapon enhancements work. Can you have something like a Speed Wyroot end of a double weapon, or does it need to be a +1 speed Wyroot end?

Oh, and the Wyroot property is 1000 gold and makes it so when you crit the weapon stores a ki point. You can then use a swift action to get that ki point from your weapon at any point in the future. It's free bonus ki and it's cheap, so why not. The only rule is the weapon needs a wooden handle, and kamas are all over that.

Christ that took forever. I'd argue against having to RP as a buffoon, after all, social skills are all CHA based. I'm sure low Int can be written off as "is terrible at remembering things/doesn't learn quickly/is basically ADD."

A character with an Int of 5 can be super charming and have a conversation that sways the favor of gods, I don't think a buffoon can do that. Nor do I think the diplomacy rules are good, but there you go.

The real question is, can you swift action after a full attack?
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Why are you doing a str based ninja?
A dex based rogue will do just as much damage, and have better AC.
especially if you take a level of Alchemist
Really, every rogue character should take a level of alchemist in Pathfinder.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

sabs wrote:Why are you doing a str based ninja?
A dex based rogue will do just as much damage, and have better AC.
especially if you take a level of Alchemist
Really, every rogue character should take a level of alchemist in Pathfinder.
What, for Mutagen? Being a flasked avenger doesn't really work as any roguelike until Alchy 8 and if we're looking for cynical stat boosts, Urban Barbarian 1 gives you the Dex bump, medium armor and a circumstantial AC bonus. Two-drop for the save bonus Rage Power and be a Human with Heart of the Fields so you don't have to worry about fatigue.

Also Lago, why are you using Rogue Trick for Combat Trick? You can't actually do that; there's a catch in the Ninja's Rogue Trick rules saying you can't take a trick that the Rogue and Ninja share.

And you still never answered me as to why you think the Spell-slinger is anything but hot garbage, given its DC/Damage bonus only triggers on certain spells. Color Spray, Ray of Enfeeblement and Enervation are nice and all, but there are 3 more spell levels to think about here. You just gonna slap Dazing Spell on everything that does damage once you hit double digits?
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

be a vivisectionist alchemist
you get a couple of spells, and you get mutagen.

Mutagen gives you a +4 dex, and vivisectionist doesn't cost you any levels for sneak attack. It's a 3/4 bab d8, and it has plenty of skill points. And you get throw anything, for shits and giggles.

You're slowing down improved evasion by a little. But meh.
Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

Why is no one buying the Project Image Ring: Decoy Ring?

You waste one round for Withdraw action and get a few rounds of Invisibile staus (not spell, just like Invisible Stalker, so Greater Invisibiliy is easiest to picture, doesn't break when attack)

12, 000 gp though
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Pseudo Stupidity, how do you and your MC feel about single-use items?