Let's Play Fighting Fantasy #2: The Citadel of Chaos

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

What should our name be?

Dirk Von Eldritcock
7%
Dirk Dicklong, Blademage
7%
Dirk O'Killitwithfire
33%
Manstaff Cockbeard
47%
Other (please specify)
7%

Total votes: 15

Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Well, it says slowly and quietly. If someone is waiting on the other side it gives them time to get ready for us. Kicking the door in gives us the surprise factor. Given that we are deep in the belly of the beast I'd say whoever is there is likely to be hostile, so charge!
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Frank seems angerier than usual. Is it me still hallucinating from all the sugar, or did someone spike his red wine?

I vote we open and ease into the door slowly, like a leather gimp suit.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The handle turns and you step into a dark room.
You look round the room. It is lit only by your torch. Although a fairly large room, it has little furniture in it, although a large boulder, sliced flat, resembles a table and a smaller rock forms a sort of stool behind it. In on corner, a pile of rocks are held together with mud. You cannot imagine their purpose, although they support three wooden chests. Then you jump with fright as your torch lights up a large creature, seemingly made of rock itself, standing by a door. It is roughly human-shaped, although somewhat larger. Its eyes are staring straight at you, but you cannot be sure it is actually seeing you! Will you:

Run for the other door?
Attempt to speak with the creature?
Move slowly towards the boxes in the corner?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

An attempt at diplomacy?! Well, no wonder Dirk Von Facestabber III refused to do this book.

Let's talk to it, maybe it's lonely.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

after the pleasant red wine with the black elf, let's talk with the stone man
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The creature is apparently deaf-mute. You hail it in all the languages you know, but it continues to stand silently. You make a move towards the center of the room.

(We hailed it in English, Elven, Klingon, Mandalorian, Binary, Pig Latin, Gibberish and Esperanto. Let it never be said that Manstaff Cockbeard is not well-read.)

At your first movement, the creature seems to break from its trance and steps towards you. Seeing this you may either run for the door at the far end of the room, or make for the boxes and risk taking on this silent giant.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Make for the boxes and give this giant a taste of the Manstaff
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The GOLEM advancing towards you is a slow-moving creature, and you reach the boxes easily. You curse as you find they are all locked. As you struggle with the locks, the Golem closes on you. You may:

Draw your sword and fight the creature
Cast a Fire Spell
Cast a Creature Copy Spell
Forget the boxes and race for the door
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Manstaff whips around, gripping 36 inches of magic steel.

"Your spell resistance* only makes my sword harder"

*Golems gotta golem
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

since normally casting a "creature copy" is something you simply do whenever you want outside the normal book flipping experience, I can only assume something stupid and horrible happens if you attempt to copy the golem. Commence face stabbing. Good chance we're going to need to eat pies after this.

-Username17
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

facestab!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The Golem advances and you slash at it with your sword. Your sword hits solid rock and clangs noisily. You will have to resolve this battle and deduct 1 SKILL point during the fight:

GOLEM SKILL 8 STAMINA 10

Combat Log:
Golem 16, Manstaff 20. Golem is at 8.
Golem 16, Manstaff 13. Manstaff is at 16.
Golem 16, Manstaff 16. Tie.
Golem 17, Manstaff 13. Manstaff is at 14.
Golem 11, Manstaff 18. Golem is at 6.
Golem 14, Manstaff 18. Golem is at 4.
Golem 16, Manstaff 18. Golem is at 2.
Golem 19, Manstaff 18. Manstaff is at 12.
Golem 11, Manstaff 20. Golem is dead.
(Even with our +1 sword, those lost SKILL points hurt us bad. Fucking Leprechaun. At least this one was only for the duration of this fight. And shit, we don't have any food or healing spells or potions. Ouch.)

The Golem crashes to the ground and breaks into pieces. With relief, you walk over to the boxes to examine them. Will you try to open:

The first box?
The second box?
The third box?

Adventure Sheet:
Manstaff Cockbeard
Skill: 11/12
Stamina: 12/18
Luck: 8/8
Magic: 13/13
Equipment: Magic Battlesword (+1 Attack Strength,) Leather Armor, Enchanted Throwing Dagger (can be used once to automatically deal 2 damage to an opponent)
Backpack: Weeds, Ointment, Silver Mirror
Keys: Copper Key
Gold Pieces: 10
Potions: Potion of Magik (restores a used spell, 2/2 doses left)
Spells: Fire x 3, Levitation x 3, Creature Copy x 1, E.S.P. x1, Fool's Gold x 1, Illusion x 1, Shielding x 1, Strength x 1, Weakness x 1
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Uh... the third?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

With no qualifiers, always open the second box. Similarly, if someone challenges you to a game of RPS in one of these books, the correct throw is always scissors.

By the way, why did the Golem deduct one skill point from us during the fight instead of just having a skill of 9?

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

FrankTrollman wrote:By the way, why did the Golem deduct one skill point from us during the fight instead of just having a skill of 9?
The effects are mechanically the same, but experientially a little different; something that lowers your numbers instead of having higher numbers feels distinct even if the end result is exactly the same.

The FF books had some vague standardization of effects, and one of them was that fighting without your weapon was -2 attack strength, so having your weapon be only partially effective being -1 attack strength makes some sense. It's just boring as hell because the combat system is so limited.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(You going to vote, Angel? You could break the tie, or start a 3-way tie.)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Sure, box two. Manstaff always goes straight up the middle.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You struggle with the box for some time, trying to open it. It will not open. You take out your sword and strike the box, but you succeed only in blunting your sword - from now on you must deduct 1 point from your SKILL score. You do not manage to open the box. Will you:

Try to open the first box?
Try to open the third box?
Leave the boxes and press onwards?

(How does a magic sword get blunted by a box? Also fuck, we should have taken a Skill Spell, and probably a Stamina Spell too; this room is roflpwning us.)

Manstaff Cockbeard
Skill: 10/12
Stamina: 12/18
Equipment: Magic Battlesword (+1 Attack Strength,) Leather Armor, Enchanted Throwing Dagger (can be used once to automatically deal 2 damage to an opponent)
Spells: Fire x 3, Levitation x 3, Creature Copy x 1, E.S.P. x 1, Fool's Gold x 1, Illusion x 1, Shielding x 1, Strength x 1, Weakness x 1
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Third box!
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Third box.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

How come the golem didn't blunt the sword, but the box did?
Why was the dagger, from page 2, described after we had to guess its price?

But yeah, I believe the theory was, 3th box now.
Last edited by ishy on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The box is solidly made and you cannot break the lock with your hands. You draw your sword to try to hack it off and, as you do so, the box falls on your shin, causing a nasty cut. Deduct 2 STAMINA points. Your sword will not break the lock. Will you:

Try to open the first box?
Try to open the second box?
Forget the boxes and press onwards?

(I'm assuming we want to open the first box now, since by process of elimination it does something good.)

Manstaff Cockbeard
Stamina: 10/18
Spells: Fire x 3, Levitation x 3, Creature Copy x 1, E.S.P. x 1, Fool's Gold x 1, Illusion x 1, Shielding x 1, Strength x 1, Weakness x 1
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Open the first box I guess. It better be fucking good.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

After some struggling, the box opens. Inside is a silver key. Will you:

Try to use the key on the second box?
Try to use the key on the third box?
Take the key and make for the exit door?

(I'm assuming we use it on the boxes in order.)

The key turns and, removing the lock, you open the box to find another key, this one made of green metal. Will you try this new key on the third box or leave the room with the two keys?

(And I'm assuming we use this one on the last box. Simple enough.)

The key turns, the lock clicks open and you look inside the box. Inside the box is a glass jar, and in this jar is a spider. But not a normal spider; this creature has the face of an old man. He is talking to you, but you cannot make out what he is saying. A noise startles you and you spin round to see that the door, the one you came through, is beginning to open. You put the jar in your bag and make for the other door.

You open the door and step forwards into a passageway, which runs eastwards for several meters and then ends at the foot of a staircase. You climb the stairs and eventually find yourself in a narrow passageway. A short distance ahead, you can see an opening into a large, well-lit room. You press on forwards.
The room you are in is some sort of grand dining hall. A long table, large enough to seat some forty or fifty people, stands in the center, edged with chairs. Various doors and passageways lead from the room, but you are particularly interested in two wide staircases which lead upwards to either end of a balcony overlooking the hall. Paintings and suits of armor decorate the walls. The room is empty. Will you:

Take the left-hand staircase upwards?
Take the right-hand staircase upwards?
Investigate the paintings?
Investigate the suits of armor?

Manstaff Cockbeard
Stamina: 10/18
Backpack: Weeds, Ointment, Silver Mirror, Spider in a Jar
Keys: Copper Key, Silver Key, Green Metal Key
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Paintings and armor scream "trap." I'm gonna go with Dante and say Left Staircase.