[Let's Play] Blood Sword II - The Kingdom of Wyrd

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Posting to formally register my lack of ideas.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'm not sure, but sunlight sounds like a good answer to me.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I guess "light" is close enough to "sunlight" that I'd take the latter as the official answer:
If you have answered 'fire', turn to 479. If you answered anything else, turn to 265.
We picked a different light source.
The correct answer was 'grass'. If you gave that answer, turn to 127. If you gave any other answer, the creature snickers in contempt and prepares to attack you; turn to 69.
For what it's worth, I actually think "sunlight" sounds like a better fit than "grass" (I'm sure there are a few professions, like herbalist, who can come up with an actual monetary value for certain kinds of grass). In fact there are a few answers that can fit as answers to the riddle depending on personal interpretation. The only thing that really argues more strongly in grass' favour is the comparison to emerald (they're both green), but that's the answer the authors have in mind.
Though small, the demon is far faster and stronger than you would have thought. Varadaxor hangs back so that you have room to fight it.

Demon
Fighting Prowess: 8 Psychic Ability: 10
Awareness: 9 Damage per blow: 2 Dice*
Armour Rating: 2
Endurance: 30

*Note: Its barbed tail is slick with poison. Anyone wounded must roll one Die, and on a roll of one he or she loses an additional four Dice Endurance as the poison enters the bloodstream.

If you win, turn to 462. If you flee, turn to 406.
Dammit, Varadaxor, we came all this way to help you fulfil your quest and even saved your sorry life from the Lady a moment ago and now you're going to sit this one out?? That's some gesture of gratitude!

Strategies?
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Graahhh! But grass doesn't fit any of those lines! Ah well, I'll take out my frustrations by casting Nemesis Bolt. Repeatedly.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yeah, grass is actually a dreadful fit for all the clues (unless you get really nitpicky, like claiming it's raw emerald). On the other hand, it is a demon, fairness was not really in the cards.

Stab until either the demon stops moving or I do.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Since my armor's crap and I can't pull back to fire without taking damage, I'll defend.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Since my armor's crap and I can't pull back to fire without taking damage, I'll defend.
You're at 3, you can fire.

I'll fight but switch to Defending once I get hit.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Yes, the Sage can shoot, as he's not directly adjacent to the Demon.

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 9 acts ...

Demon fights Warrior. Roll = 6 (Hits). Damage = 6-3-1 = 2. Warrior has 15 EN left. She rolls a 6 and avoids the poison.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster fights Demon. Roll = 5 (Hits). Damage = 1+1-2 = 0.

Awareness 6 acts ...

Warrior fights Demon. Roll = 4 (Hits). Damage = 1+2-2 = 1. Demon has 29 EN left.

Sage shoots Demon. Roll = 7. (Hit!) Damage = 6 + 1 - 2 = 5. Demon has 24 EN left.

Enchanter calls Nemesis Bolt to mind.

Quick Thinking bonus:

Trickster fights Demon. Roll = 6. (Hit!) Damage = 5 + 1 - 2 = 4. Demon has 20 EN left.

Round 2 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 9 acts ...

Demon fights Trickster. Roll = 7+1 = 8. (Hits). Damage = 5-2 = 3. Trickster has 16 END left. He rolls a 3 and avoids the poison.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster defends.

Awareness 6 acts ...

Warrior fights Demon. Roll = 3( Hits). Damage = 5+2-2 = 5. Demon has 15 EN left.

Sage shoots Demon. Roll = 6. (Hit!) Damage = 2 + 1 - 2 = 1. Demon has 14 EN left.

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt. Roll = 5 + 5 = 10. (Success!) Damage = 28+7-2 = 33. Demon is killed.
Benedict and Kiki finish off their last meal.
Facing the two doors, you wonder which one to go through.

If you choose the left-hand door, turn to 398. If you choose the right-hand door, turn to 200.
Without the demon's answer, it's now a random option. The weird thing is that the party can't choose to just ignore both doors and leave. :/
Last edited by SGamerz on Sun May 17, 2015 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Left!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

So it's the safe in Space Assassin all over again.

Left is as good as any.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Might as well left. I'll also call Nemesis Bolt to mind.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

As you open the door, magical torches light up on the walls. The entire floor of this square room is covered by a black and white chequer pattern. A bronze chest rests on a stone plinth in the middle.

If there is an Enchanter in the party and he or she would like to do something, turn to 192. If a Sage would like to do something, turn to 494. If there are both a Warrior and a Trickster, and they would like to do something, turn to 569. Otherwise you may just walk over to the chest or you can leave the room and try the other door or you may leave the tower altogether.
Damn, even when the Warrior does get her special moment.....she has to share it with the Trickster.

Who wants to try getting to the chest? Or not?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Muscle bros.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The tag-team option sounds the most interesting.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Do the dual tech!
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Muscle bros.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

WARRIOR AND TRICKSTER:
You decide that with a bit of teamwork you will be able to reach the plinth without having to step on the black and white chequered floor which to both of you looks as if it could well be booby-trapped. The Warrior picks up the Trickster so that he is cradling the Trickster's feet in his arms: then with a great heave he sends the Trickster spinning across the room, where he lands with an acrobatic flourish by the side of the plinth. Varadaxor throws you a rope that he has kept twined around his body and ties one end of it to a brass wall-fitting near the door. You tie your end around one of the brass handles of the chest, and when you test your tightrope you find that it will take your weight easily. Now that you have arranged your escape route, you open the chest.
Yep, the Dame just picked up a guy and threw him across the room. Kiki's either a bear of a lady......or Benedict's just really tiny. :tongue:
An unusual sight meets your eyes as you open the chest: its bottom is a pool of inky blackness from which five hands are rising up. Each hand holds an orb of a different colour. One is red, another blue, the next one is grey, and then gold, and then white. The underside of the lid, blank when you first opened the chest, suddenly begins to squirm and change shape, the metal forming itself into the semblance of a large mouth which suddenly opens and addresses you. 'These five orbs,' it says in a booming voice, 'are each charged with magical energies. These energies will be released when a word of power is spoken over them. The word "blood" activates the red orb, the orb of carnage. "Death" activates the blue orb of mystery; "pestilence" brings forth the power of the orb of plague; the golden orb of bestowing is activated by the word "favour", and the white orb of fire will release its power when commanded by the word "conflagration". You may take only one of these orbs, so choose carefully.'

Choose the orb you want, then turn to 297.
I'm moving on ahead, since the next section doesn't actually reveal anything about the orbs' powers.
As soon as you make your choice, the other hands slide back into the inky blackness at the bottom of the chest and disappear from view. The fifth hand remains only until you have reached out and taken the orb from it, then it too slides away. The mouth on the underside of the lid now vanishes and with a sudden blast of wind the chest slams shut. You make your way back to the door.

You may choose to use your orb at any time in the adventure. In addition, certain entries later on in this book may include the option of your using it. If you wish to use it at any given time, turn from the entry where you are to the relevant entry number for your orb given below. (Remember to make a note of the number of the entry that you are reading at the time first, though.)

orb of carnage [49]
orb of mystery [302]
orb of plague [161]
orb of bestowing [396]
orb of fire [310]

Once you've made a note of the number of your orb on your Character Sheet (in a multi-player party, decide who is carrying the orb), you decide to leave the chamber. Outside, you may open the other door or leave the tower altogether.

Choose which orb you wish to take, and whether you want to check out the other door.

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 11 (+1 from Enchanted Sword)
Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 6
Endurance: 16/17
Damage: 1 Die+2

Items:
1 Enchanted Sword (+1 FP)
2 Chainmail armour (Armour Rating three)
3 Money pouch (85 gold pieces)
4 Opal Medallion
5 Blood Sword Scabbard
6 Healing Salve (5 applications, restores 1 Die of END each)
7 Shielding Charm (+1 AR)
8-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 17/19
Damage: 1 Die+1

Items:
1 Sword
2 Ringmail armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Pouch of Tahac
4 Bottle of Chimera Spittle
5 Quiver (6 arrows)
6 Money pouch (53 gold pieces)
7 Harp
8 Silver Wolf's head clasp
9-10 Empty slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 7
Endurance: 16/16
Damage: 1 Die+1

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
2 Breastplate (Armour Rating one)
3 Sharp Knife
4 Money pouch (63 gold pieces)
5 Magic Bow (Damage 1 Die+1)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Chequers board and pieces
8 Blue Crystal Eyes
9 Clay Pipe
10 Empty slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 0
Psychic Ability: 15 (14) (+1 from Ring of Sorcery, -1 from carrying 1 spell in mind)
Endurance: 16/16
Damage: 1 Die

Items:
1 Sword
2 Silver armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Opal Medallion
4 Golden Snuffbox
5-6 Food (eat one for +1 EN after combat)
7 Ring of Sorcery (+1 PA)
8 Money pouch (71 gold pieces)
9-10 Empty slot
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Bestowing sounds like the most potentially helpful one, especially since the writers might've picked a less-than-common word as a language skill check for players.

And no, don't check out the door which leads to "a grisly fate".
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Bestowing seems like the least likely to backfire horribly. Also, while I'm not 100% convinced we got the right door (what with the orbs being potentially trapped), or even that the demon was telling the truth about the doors (given his bullshit riddle), I think the odds are on our side and we should just take our ball and get out.

Tangentially, who the hell is responsible for that extremely conveniently expository magic mouth? Did the Grey Lady just have a really poor memory regarding her magic orbs and their command words? Most of the situations like this I've seen go the other way, with vials of poison labeled 'tasty juice' and so on.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Since the Trickster is supposed to be the one picking up the Orb of Bestowing, it'll be in his possession, unless you guys state otherwise.
Once outside the tower, Varadaxor dips into his saddle-pouch and produces a silver crucifix. 'This item is a sacred reliquary,' he says. 'In it is the finger-bone of St Ashanax. Take it - and may all the saints look over you on your travels.'

You accept the gift. (If there is more than one of you in the party, decide among yourselves who receives it.) Gently smiling to himself, the old knight rides off towards the north.

If there is a Sage in the party, turn to 286. If not, turn to 444.
No option whether he wants to act, just an automatic trigger....

SAGE:
[St Ashanax is the patron saint of wayfarers and lost travellers.]
Meanwhile, back to the rest of the group......
You watch Varadaxor ride off, and then turn to the east.
Let me know which one of you wish to carry the crucifix.
You head east. It is about noon when you come to the coastal town of Port Quanongu. A bored-looking guard waves you past him through the narrow gate into the crowded streets. The air is laced with the smells of tar and fish and salt spray.

As you stand in the midst of the jostling passers-by, momentarily stunned by the clamour of town life after the quiet countryside through which you have been travelling, a scar-faced sailor comes up to you.

'Be you lookin' to sign on a whaler?' he asks. 'Look no further if so, for the Questing Beast has need of sturdy young limbs.'

He scrutinises you with his one good eye. What answer will you give?

'By all means lead the way to your ship!'
'And is this Questing Beast bound for Wyrd?'
'Point out a tavern and then begone, churl!'.
What's our answer?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I'll take the relic if no-one minds. And yes, ask if the ship is going where we're going.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pepito tells everybody about St. Ashanax (you can look at the spoiler) and agrees to give the relic to Kiki (if no one else minds).

Also ask about the destination.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

'The Kingdom o' Wyrd,' he says, shaking his head from side to side as he chuckles. 'There's no chance of passage there 'til next spring. The whole coast around it will be solid pack-ice at this time o' year. O' course, you could go north and walk across, if you cared to, heh heh.' He spits into the gutter and wanders off into the crowd.

You are standing near a tavern called the Ulrik's Bones Inn. If you want to go in, turn to 17. If you'd rather walk east down Harbour Lane, turn to 306.
Go inn or not?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Check out the inn.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

SGamerz wrote:Go inn or not?
Though I harbour some doubts about this decision, go innside.