[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Fuchs wrote:Could simply be a case of "I never use the oven, so I'll be using it as storage". Some people simply are that stupid.
My parents used to store their extra pots and pans in it. Some had wooden handles, including their old-school popcorn maker. One day, my mom absent-mindedly pre-heated the oven without taking them out and ruined them.

Ever since that incident, I always check the oven before turning it on. We don't put anything in it, but still...
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

One time we had a bit of food left on a chopping board and put it in the oven temporarily to take out and nibble at over the next day. Then, we forgot it was there and turned the oven on to heat up, ready to cook.

It was an... interesting shape, to say the least. Probably still better than the time we forgot to remove the plastic tray from the bottom of a microwave pizza before cooking it, if only because we didn't notice the plastic until we'd already partly eaten the pizza. Mmm... sharp plasticy bits scraping our throats, and a harsh disgusting taste. I wouldn't recommend it.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

We used to put leftover pizza in our oven. Typically we were pretty good about remembering to check for the pizza box before or right after turning on the oven, but it happened often enough that to this day, I still check the oven if I smell something odd after turning it on, even though we don't put boxes of leftover pizza in it anymore.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I don't think I've ever stored anything in the oven before use. I have however found things I had left in there and forgot about before.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I haven't... we've never... why would... Cabinets!

I mean, sometimes we leave cookies in there to cool for complex thermal reasons, but seriously, why would you do that?
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
K
King

Post by K »

If anyone uses a Torrent program in the US, today the Six Strikes system went online. Chances are good that you are one of the participating ISPs and that you might get cut off from your ISP.

Since most ISPs are monopolies in local markets, it's the same as an Internet death sentence.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

name_here wrote:I haven't... we've never... why would... Cabinets!

I mean, sometimes we leave cookies in there to cool for complex thermal reasons, but seriously, why would you do that?
Not everyone has lots of cabinets. That's one thing my wife and I tend to look for when we're looking at houses.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The list of things I would not put in an oven due to storage problems would probably be topped with "live ammunition."

@K: That article doesn't mention killing your internet. The worst it promises is speed-throttling for 48 hours once, ever.
K
King

Post by K »

Chamomile wrote:The list of things I would not put in an oven due to storage problems would probably be topped with "live ammunition."

@K: That article doesn't mention killing your internet. The worst it promises is speed-throttling for 48 hours once, ever.
The ISPs are deliberately not mentioning any real details about this program, but considering that it's called "Six Strikes," I think we can assume that they cut you off or permanently throttle you to a crawl. They've wanted a way to throttle or remove high-use users for a while.

They might just hand your name and records to the RIAA for litigation.

We'll find out soon.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

no idea why they want to get rid of high usage users.
without them, nobody would need thier big lines at all.
and they don't cost them more money then the smaller users either.
it is quite the opposite actually
Last edited by Stahlseele on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Probably because if they refuse to take appropriate measures they would get sued for negligently accessorizing the theft, you know, like torrent sites.

Except they aren't in Sweden, so they would be in US courts, and fucked.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Because high usage users actually do use enough to tax their infrastructure. They make money from users who use their expensive connection intermittantly; constant use can force them to sink more costs.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

As far as i know, ISP's pay Bulk-Rates and not for traffic in their own nets but for the exchange points between the different nets.
And taxing the infrastructure is not an argument either, because there are still reserves they ain't using anyway. If it were different, you'd have brownouts or blackouts in the internet very often.
and if it's the shared medium part, then everybody limits everybody elses usage, not some people the usage of everybody else.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
K
King

Post by K »

Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... icing.html

Hardly a surprise. We've always known we were being gouged.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
K
King

Post by K »

Meikle641 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... icing.html

Hardly a surprise. We've always known we were being gouged.
Just speculation on my part, but doesn't this harken back to when the Canadian dollar was half the value of the US dollar?

I mean, why would US corporations lower prices just because the exchange rate reaches near-parity, but the consumers are still willing to pay the same Canadian dollar rate that they've always paid? That's not how capitalism works.

I mean, the idea of fair pricing for goods and services is not capitalism at all. Not even a little bit.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Indeed, you'd think Australia's strong dollar and economy would mean stuff would be cheaper here, at least insofar as imports are concerned. Nope. Actually, it's the opposite: because we have a strong economy, everyone thinks all the actual people are rich and can afford to be gouged ("the economy" and "the strength of the dollar" don't have much to do with how wealthy your average household is).

And then they wonder why we literally order stuff from overseas that can be bought locally, pirate all software, and basically do all we can to avoid spending money locally.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

And here we have comcast hijacking your browser if you don't react to 4 warnings about filesharing:
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-su ... n-measures

AT&T will block users access to some of the most visited sites of the interweb.
Verizon will slow down connection speeds of pirates
time Warner Cable will temporarily interrups peoples ability to browse the web at all
http://torrentfreak.com/six-strikes-ant ... ts-130225/

now it's all a matter of tick tock, untill these measures are used for censoring stuff certain people don't like i guess . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Man shot by his dog
I wonder if there was animal abuse involved. Maybe should pass a law that in the case of suspected animal abuse all animals can apply for a weapon permit?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
K
King

Post by K »

ishy wrote:Man shot by his dog
I wonder if there was animal abuse involved. Maybe should pass a law that in the case of suspected animal abuse all animals can apply for a weapon permit?
I have to say, there is an amusing upside to the media finally paying attention to shootings.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

It's weird how often people are shot by dogs. Seriously. Especially with hunting dogs, since they associate the gun with fun noises and good times. "OH BOY OH BOY," paw goes into trigger in excitement, gun goes off.

My firearms instructor talked about exactly this sort of thing in the section about negligent discharges. *reads again* Wait, a handgun? Even more of an idiot.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

There were like two instances in the same week, late last year. Dogs love shooting people.

Now I'm not going to say which country it was, because I think we all know.

Incidentally, I'd like to bring up an old thing linked on this thread a while ago: the dentist who removed all of her ex-boyfriend's teeth. It's bollocks.

No, I don't mean she removed his bollocks. The entire story was made up by the Daily Mail. And believing it is what you deserve for reading the daily fucking mail. New proposed rule: if it's from the UK, but not the BBC, it does not count.

And of course, it ticked all of the Daily Mail's favourite things:
[*]Made up (so they covered it first)
[*]Bitches be crazy, bro
[*]Look what those crazy foreigners do over in Poland, we need to tighten up on immigration
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I think the Guardian's OK, too.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Koumei wrote: Incidentally, I'd like to bring up an old thing linked on this thread a while ago: the dentist who removed all of her ex-boyfriend's teeth. It's bollocks.

No, I don't mean she removed his bollocks. The entire story was made up by the Daily Mail. And believing it is what you deserve for reading the daily fucking mail. New proposed rule: if it's from the UK, but not the BBC, it does not count.
Ha! Cracked just said this exact same thing a day or two ago (#4 on the list).
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

New Statesman is fairly sane and reliable.