[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

of course they do.
why else would they defend their homosexual pedophile priests?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

It was tolerated, if not accepted per se, until the "anti-sodomy" edicts came out around the same time that priests were forbidden to marry (which I think was during the Middle Ages, but I'm not sure.)

I've got a book or two on the matter although I'm at school right now and can't check.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Well the jury is still out on whether or not the medieval church more-or-less endorsed certain forms of same-sex union. Early Chistian rules carried over old Roman attitudes and prejudices of sexual dominance more than flat-out denial of homosexuality (i.e. it was okay for a dude to bang a dude, but it wasn't cool for a man to be sexually submissive, either to a woman or a man). And of course, there are always minority sects with differing opinions on homosexual sex. In general however, views to homosexuality were never positive, and solidified with severe punishments around the 13th century, and didn't really let up until the 18th or 19th centuries.

But I was actually talking more about the history of Christianity and abortion, where views really do change substantially between generations - before 1980 the Southern Baptist Convention actually wanted to loosen restrictions on abortions. The emphasis on restricting abortions in conservative American Christian sects and politics is not unprecedented (the Catholics have been more-or-less against abortion for quite awhile, even though the date of acceptable ranges has slipped back and forth), it became much more of a core tenet (and political issue) after Pat Robertson made it a core issue of the Christian Coalition.

So yeah, I could probably go cherry-pick examples of Christian homosexuals and people that got abortions throughout history that the church (and their Christian friends) that didn't get burned at the stake or even particularly ostracized, but that would be cheating. It's more fair to say that the issue is nuanced, has been subject to a lot of argument and debate, and that Pat Buchanan's (and by extension, a lot of conservative Christian America's) current very restrictive stance comes out of relatively recent marriage between conservative politics and conservative religion on certain topics.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Mr. Buchanan wrote:If we Americans cannot even agree on what is right and wrong and moral and immoral, how do we stay together in one national family? If one half of the nation sees the other as morally depraved, while the latter sees the former as saturated in bigotry, sexism and homophobia, how do we remain one united nation and one people?

Today, half of America thinks the country some of us grew up in was bigoted, racist, homophobic and sexist, while the other half sees this morally "evolving" nation as a society openly inviting the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah and that is hardly worth preserving.

A common faith and moral code once held this country together. But if we no longer stand on the same moral ground, after we have made a conscious decision to become the most racially, ethnically, culturally diverse people on earth, what in the world holds us together?
What is the whole deal with this mentality???

There has never been a point in time when America existed as a monolithic faith or some whole of morality - there have always been groups with differing beliefs. Do you know what united them? The belief that there was room for everyone in spite of their differences.
Famous US Stuff wrote:"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands - one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

"We the people of the United States..."

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me..."

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal..."
There's no "we only want rich white people" in there. There's no "fuck Muslims," or women, or gay people, or atheists. America wasn't created as a Protestant country - or a Catholic one. It was created as a neutral place where individuals could believe and worship the way they wanted to - alongside everyone else.

We are not a country that is united by our religion, or by our race, or by sexual orientation, or gender, or culture. Instead, we are a country united by the belief we are all people, able to coexist despite our differences. That tenet is the foundation of our concept of freedom, and when that core tenet that unites us falters, we suffer as a country.

If this country is divided, then it's because that ideological foundation is being questioned. It is up to us to remind ourselves and each other that our neighbors are people, too - they deserve the same freedoms that we want for ourselves.
Morat
Journeyman

Post by Morat »

Maj wrote:What is the whole deal with this mentality???

There has never been a point in time when America existed as a monolithic faith or some whole of morality - there have always been groups with differing beliefs. Do you know what united them? The belief that there was room for everyone in spite of their differences.
Buchanan and the rest of the theocrats don't give a shit what the Bible actually says, what on Earth makes you think they care what the Constitution, its authors, or Lincoln said (or, for that matter, what's on an icky French statue in the barbaric treasonous city of New York)? Many of the founders were Deists, and Lincoln was at most a very iffy Christian. Heck, many of the "Founding Fathers" had no problem signing a treaty that baldly stated that the US was "not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion".
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Mr. Buchanan wrote:Today, half of America thinks the country some of us grew up in was bigoted, racist, homophobic and sexist,
The hell does she mean, "was"? It still IS all of those things.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

There really needs to be some public education about how the internet works and what you should be prepared for when you visit.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I know it was a shock to me how many people made great sport out of picking every letter of every word apart of everything you said to try to make you look stupid. I didn't know, but the internet was new when I found out.

I do in fact think a "99% of people online are dickbags" lesson should be taught these days, because I'm a firm believer in helping future generations have an easier time.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I kind of want to support that Kickstarter... except Kotaku says apparently the money's not going to send the girl to camp, the mother's just going to pay for it herself. So... not sure what the money will do.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Josh_Kablack wrote:9-year old girl and mom kick up internet shitstorm by trying to kickstart a trip to RPG design camp

Truly baffling.

People run role-playing game design camps?
Someone needs to pay to send Mearls to one. Oh, zing!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Koumei wrote:Someone needs to pay to send Mearls to one.
I think that Mearls' writing shows too much influence from camp as it is.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

That kind of thing happens more often than you'd expect.

Of course, it's more common for the spouse to find out that the marriage was invalid only after the partner dies, when there's an attempt to probate the estate and they instead get nothing.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

The end of an era.

Disney closes Lucas arts video game developing arm. I was really looking forward to 1313.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Iain Banks, author of the Culture novels, has been diagnosed with Gall Bladder cancer and may have months to live.

A horrible thing to happen to one of my favourite authors. I think I agree with his friend Ken Macleods assessment: "I'm just holding out for a statistically improbable recovery".
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... osque.html
they are going to discontinue the lego star wars brick set for jabba the huts palace because it's racist to some turks it seems . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

No. I read a statement from Lego that said the palace was set to be discontinued this year, regardless of anything involving Turks.

Link
Last edited by Maj on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

ah, ok.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Tumbling Down
Journeyman

Post by Tumbling Down »

Well, it's the DailyHeil, so the story is bound to be at least 70% made up.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/ ... P420130409
"As soon as we heard of this, we quickly replaced it with a bigger and better-looking camel," said the official
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

So. If he left the camel in Timbuktu, why does Mali think he wants another?
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Grek wrote:So. If he left the camel in Timbuktu, why does Mali think he wants another?
I don't think they do, which is exactly why they're sending him another. This is what trolling looks like in international politics.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

In Swedish news, we need llamas to scare the wolves away.

Given other headlines there are "That strange woman the English are obsessed with seems to have died" and "The Marx brother with the massive beard: he got some stuff wrong and I passed my first semester of history or economics so I'm going to sound important!", it must have been a slow news day in the second-most Communist country in the world.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

In more germane news:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... rity-curse

Yes ladies and gentlemen, the Technoviking has sued!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: