Your preferred level of complexity in a game?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Murtak wrote:Why is DnD even mentioned when we are talking about reducing the complexity of character generation, except as an example of how not to do it?
Well mostly because D&D is a game we play (for whatever reason), along with Shadowrun and a few others, and I feel that a lot of that reason is the complexity.

But you don't really have to use D&D as a starting point. Go ahead and feel free to pick Shadowrun, GURPS or HERO or whatever you happen to like. So long as it's a game that a lot of us play. I mean, thus far the only game I've seen mentioned is Feng Shui, a game that specifically isn't used for long campaigns because it seems so simple that people get bored of it. We aren't running our campaigns in Feng Shui, and I think there's a reason for that.

And that's the big question: how you can make a game PCs interesting enough to run long campaigns with and yet also use that same system to generate NPCs.

And I can understand if you say D&D is a crappy place to start. So if so, pick another game system. How about Shadowrun?

Or indeed if you expect to use Feng Shui as a baseline, then present a means by which you can make Feng Shui usable for long campaigns.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thymos
Knight

Post by Thymos »

I'm working on a system right now of my own where I expect to have both well developed PC's and simple character creation.

When I get it roughly mapped out (I guess a beta) I plan on posting it here and seeing what you all think.

As far as 3.x, Feats alone could use reworking. They need to make them actually change your character so he feels like he plays differently.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Thymos wrote:I'm working on a system right now of my own where I expect to have both well developed PC's and simple character creation.
I support you in this endeavor. However, I am understandably dubious. Development is of course the opposite of simplicity. Which is not to say that you can't reduce the complexity of character creation substantially in most games. Lots of procedures present fake choices or artificially inflate numbers until math is very difficult. Or at the very least time consuming.

Over the course of playing a game you will probably spend many times more time actually running through the calculations than you will learning the rules. So things you do to make the calculations easier and faster will vastly increase the amount of time you can spend ranting about shooting magic missiles at things and drinking mountain dew. But while you don't actually lose anything by just telling people that they can have two +2 equivalent items or one +3 versus giving people hundreds or thousands of points to spend that happen to work out that way, you can't really simply it any more than that without losing some detail.
When I get it roughly mapped out (I guess a beta) I plan on posting it here and seeing what you all think.
If it isn't roughly mapped out, what makes you believe that it will be simple and yet in-depth?
As far as 3.x, Feats alone could use reworking. They need to make them actually change your character so he feels like he plays differently.
Ugh. 3.x character creation and playing has many areas where it looks more like genetic code than anything that was actually designed to do anything. And yeah, the thing where there are thousands of character options of which the majority are inscrutable or worthless or both - that has got to go.

Equipping a character is too fiddly for the what you end up with. Feats are at the same time too meaningless and too dear. Prestige Classes have requirements which are too fucking annoying. And all of it has the problem that it adds up to weird wacky shit that the designers reused to ever even acknowledge.

But sooner or later you have to accept that the choice between A or B is fundamentally simpler and less in-depth than the choice between A, B, or A/2 and B/2.

-Username17
Thymos
Knight

Post by Thymos »

Well, it's roughly mapped out I guess, but I want to have a few classes to give an example of what I mean first.

I have the basic principles laid down, but I haven't finished applying some of them yet and I'm not set on a lot of it.

The main idea is that there are two parts of the character. Skills and Talents. Skills are pretty basic, and talents are going to be a class system that uses something similar to multiclassing to flesh characters out.

Once I have some talents, classes, weapons and armors worked out I'm going to post it.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Thymos wrote: Once I have some talents, classes, weapons and armors worked out I'm going to post it.
I look forward to checking it out. Though like Frank, I'm a bit dubious. To have both well developed characters and a simple character creation system is difficult to achieve.

Mostly because players actually enjoy having things like magic items which add a great deal of complexity. And it's really okay and fun for a PC to have dozens of magic items on his belt that he can use, but the NPC wizard just isn't going to have enough depth to have a rid of fire, a rod of ice and a rod of stoneshaping, plus 2 magical rings, a set of bracers and a circlet of blasting. At least, that's not achievable if you want to create NPCs quickly.

So there's a lot of problems with a unified system that I feel you'll run into. Namely that players enjoy being complex and having a bunch of different cool gadgets, but the same just can't be true for NPCs. A PC can actually take time to stat out the contents of the bat belt and bat cave, while a DM really can't for any of his NPCs, because he has way too many.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RC wrote:So there's a lot of problems with a unified system that I feel you'll run into. Namely that players enjoy being complex and having a bunch of different cool gadgets, but the same just can't be true for NPCs.
The NPCs are the cool gadgets. The player has their character and they draw upon their collapsible bridge or their plant control abilities to influence the story. The GM has the entire world, and draws upon individual NPCs to influence the story.

The fact that in Descent a monster is represented by a single card and a magic sword is represented by a single card is not an accident. That's literally the point those two things occupy on the hierarchy of give-a-damn on the person who is actually commanding them. NPCs simply are not, and cannot be on the same organizational level as PCs. They are on the organizational level of discrete things the PC knows, owns, or does.

And any unified system of complexity will by definition have to shove PCs down to the level of subsets of what the player could comprehend. And while that's great for a beer-and-pretzels evening now and again, every so often a player is going to want to play a character that takes their full attention. And an NPC cannot require that of the GM.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

And how is that thinking different from the process that gave us monster sprites in 4e?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

virgileso, you are correct, it is not.

However, one can be smarter than that and add "a god damn BOW" to the monster's drop list, if they have a god damn BOW. You won't ever reference its stats, but a player can pick it up afterwards and they get to do so.

Or, more simply, "Just because you're using a simplified design doesn't mean you have to abandon sense."
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

virgileso wrote:And how is that thinking different from the process that gave us monster sprites in 4e?
But... but... having swarms of BUGS drop a poleaxe is totally how RPGs should work!!!!!!!!!111111111
RandomCasualty2
Prince

virgileso wrote:And how is that thinking different from the process that gave us monster sprites in 4e?
It's really not. But actually monster sprites so to speak weren't such a bad idea. The problem wasn't so much the basic concept but rather how that concept was implemented.

Monster abilities (or indeed all abilities) in 4E are pretty damn boring, and that was the problem. The 4E monsters are fine, but 4E as a whole is rather boring, because it's just a long grindfest where you either deal damage or toss out a stunlock, and that's it.

And honestly, I could care less that 4E monsters don't have much in the way of noncombat stats. Mostly because noncombat things are either flavor, or they're an entirely separate challenge, like a social challenge, that usually has very little to do with the monsters actual combat stats. And seriously running 4E, I never ran into the problem that I ran out of monster stat block in noncombat situations. The thing is that monsters have the abilities you want to give them to influence the plot, and those abilities rarely change their CR at all. Whether a goblin is capable of tracking someone through the forest doesn't really impact its CR at all, which means it's an optional ability that you can tack or not tack on and game balance could probably care less. Similarly, whether the goblin is a skilled dancer or if it knows the capital of Cormyr is probably not that important either. The DM can arbitrarily decide and the story or the game hasn't even lost anything.

As far as social challenges, they rarely have anything to do wtih the monster and more with the actual challenge at hand. Convincing a king who is your friend to loan you some horses is easy. Convincing a king who hates you to hand over his kingdom is near to impossible. And that may well be the same king in terms of combat stats.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:The thing is that monsters have the abilities you want to give them to influence the plot, and those abilities rarely change their CR at all. Whether a goblin is capable of tracking someone through the forest doesn't really impact its CR at all, which means it's an optional ability that you can tack or not tack on and game balance could probably care less.
Isn't that an artifact of DnD measuring power/CR almost entirely by combat effectiveness? In a game/setting like Shadowrun you do in fact care whether a Lone Star Patrol officer can track you.
Murtak
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Murtak wrote: Isn't that an artifact of DnD measuring power/CR almost entirely by combat effectiveness? In a game/setting like Shadowrun you do in fact care whether a Lone Star Patrol officer can track you.
Well, you don't care so much if he can track you, so much as if he can call in backup or not (in which case his CR is going to be a bit different because he's treated more like a summoner than as a brute).

And balancing those kinds of encounters out can be difficult.

Also Shadowrun is less a combat game and more a game of hit and run and escape and evade. In such cases, you probably care more about elements like tracking than you do in a combat based game. Because in Shadowrun if you don't care about stealth or speed, then the challenge rating eventually snowballs and you die. You just can't afford to do missions like you would in D&D where you're constantly taking rests and searching and collecting every peice of treasure. Because backup is pretty much always on the way.

And in such a game, you have to consider a given creature's ability to call for backup much more so than in D&D.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Murtak wrote:
RandomCasualty2 wrote:The thing is that monsters have the abilities you want to give them to influence the plot, and those abilities rarely change their CR at all. Whether a goblin is capable of tracking someone through the forest doesn't really impact its CR at all, which means it's an optional ability that you can tack or not tack on and game balance could probably care less.
Isn't that an artifact of DnD measuring power/CR almost entirely by combat effectiveness? In a game/setting like Shadowrun you do in fact care whether a Lone Star Patrol officer can track you.
That is importantly true. The reason you don't care what anything in 4e can do outside of combat is that the out of combat rules (such as they are) don't work. Indeed, since you are under no circumstances going to use skill challenges, you're pretty much left with magical teaparty the instant the game leaves the battle grid. And to that extent, monsters are better if they are written to accommodate that fact by having nothing but magical teaparty guidelines for their out of combat activities. I think the thing tat hurts my feeling most about the 4e monster manual is that the monsters don't have magical teaparty guidelines. This is literally the entire set of teaparty guidelines for the Succubus (the poster child for magical teaparty and non-combat shenaniganry):
4e Monster Manual wrote:SUCCUBI TEMPT MORTALS into performing evil deeds, using their shapechanging abilities to appear as attractive men and women. Although seduction and betrayal are their forte, succubi are also practiced spies and assassins.
Succubi serve more powerful devils as scouts, advisors, and even concubines. Because of their guile and shapechanging ability, they are frequently chosen to serve as infernal emissaries to important mortals.
Seriously, that's the whole thing. Aargh. Tempt? Tempt with what? What are they authorized to actually give you in exchange for your evil deeds? Gosh, I wish the system for convincing people of stuff worked in this game. :tares hair:

But that's honestly only part of it. Yes, everyone in 4e is boring and simple. And by extension the monsters are even more boring and even simpler. But that's really only the surface and only a specific case.

Let's go back to the case of a soldier in Afghanistan, because it's a very telling example. He has a lot of equipment that he is carrying around. And that's fine. It's also fine that while he is equipping himself he has to carefully consider how much ammunition he carries, because the bullets alone to refill a magazine weigh 576 grams. That really eats into your weight allowance for food, tents, climbing gear, and water purifiers. So tracking one's bullets leads to a nicely gritty survival horror scenario that is very appropriate for crawling around the wastes of Afghanistan.

But now let's talk about Pashtun child Soldier #4. Frankly, while the fact that he is going to take a bullet to the eye despite the fact that he is 11 is a very important part of the tragedy and grinding despair of the scenes surrounding his one appearance in the story; the fact is that he only hs one appearance in the story. Going through the same deliberative process of deciding what to bring and what not to that the PCs did is kind of a waste of time. And in any case however much ammunition he has it won't really be like the PC's limited supply because he's never going to show up in a later scene. So tracking bullets, in addition to being kind of baseless (since we weren't keeping track of his goat hunting expenditures before he came on camera), also doesn't even get us where we want him to be. We want Child Soldier #4 to act like the PC soldiers in that he acts like his ammo is precious.

So what we're probably going to do is give Pashtun Child Soldier #4 an alternate ammo tracking system where he just rolls to run out every time he fires, and if he goes full auto his rolls to run out are that much worse. This is a completely different system than the PCs use, but it actually means that he is encouraged to not waste shots like the PCs are and the PCs don't know when he'll run dry. And it doesn't "feel" like the NPCs are cheating or playing with a different physics engine. Which ironically it would if they were actually using the same rules for the duration that they were on screen. Because a crucial part of the PC rules is the fact that it carries over from one scene to the next - scenes which we actually know Pashtun Child Soldier #4 was not involved in and won't live to see.

In a very real way, the NPCs are pawns and rooks while PCs are entire Chess positions. All the NPCs are moved around by a player in the same way and with the same total concentration as all the actions and equipment of one of the PCs is. But ideally that mechanic fact should be hidden behind layers of storytelling and obfuscatory mechanics such that it feels the an NPC Elf Archer is just as much a real person in the world as the PC Elf Archer.

Where 4e D&D went seriously off the rails is getting that backwards. They put in player interfaces that accentuated and played off the fact that NPCs were just playing pieces. And then they gave the NPCs ability scores and power names that confused the issue for the DM by making it seem from a mechanical standpoint like they might be acting like PCs, when in fact they were not.

The goal should be the opposite. The strings should be clearly visible to the GM, because he's the guy pulling them. But the strings should be pulling things in such a manner that the NPCs feel like they live in the same world as the PCs.

-Username17
RandomCasualty2
Prince

FrankTrollman wrote: Seriously, that's the whole thing. Aargh. Tempt? Tempt with what? What are they authorized to actually give you in exchange for your evil deeds? Gosh, I wish the system for convincing people of stuff worked in this game. :tares hair:
Well honestly I have never really seen a system where I like the methods for convincing people. Basically it goes like this.

NPC vs NPC: DM fiat. Usually NPC/NPC seduction happens offscreen anyway. So not a problem.
NPC vs PC: PC fiat. Players really hate to be told "You have to agree with this obvious bluff." And I honestly don't blame them. That is seriously annoying.
PC vs NPC: some weird dice roll that makes no sense and almost always makes basic requests impossible for unskilled people and ludicrous requests possible for optimized people.

So really social systems are kind of a DM fiat skill challenge IMO anyway, because no concrete system has ever made me happy.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:Also Shadowrun is less a combat game and more a game of hit and run and escape and evade. In such cases, you probably care more about elements like tracking than you do in a combat based game.
My point exactly. DnD is very combat-centric so non-combat abilities are worth next to nothing. That does not mean non-combat abilities are worthless in all games.

You are right though in assessing that just adding a tracking skill to some goblin does not affect balance much, if at all. That is exactly what I pointed out before - when you have orthogonal subsystems in a game, subsystems which do not directly affect each other, then handing out more abilities, though valuable, does not cause the issues that directly increasing character power does. Doubling the goblins HPs affects its power, as does increasing it's damage, AC or other stats. At some point, character drop off the RNG entirely and the game breaks. However adding options does not do this. Sure, a tracking, dancing, diplomatizing goblin is more formidable than a regular goblin - but he will not overshadow other characters of his level at what he does.

And that is where I propose to distinguish between cannon fodder, NPCs, recurring villains and PCs. Your basic minion gets a level, a combat maneuver or two if he's lucky and he's ready to fight. Next you want to create the evil Warlord's sorcerous lieutenant and you feel like he is worth a little more effort, so you actually assign all combat abilities, but you leave his noncombat abilities blank, because you intend to use him for combat only. And when it comes to PCs and archvillains you flesh out every area.
Murtak
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

FrankTrollman wrote:So what we're probably going to do is give Pashtun Child Soldier #4 an alternate ammo tracking system where he just rolls to run out every time he fires, and if he goes full auto his rolls to run out are that much worse.
What does this accomplish that can not be accomplished by
- giving him a random amount of bullets
- the GM actually trying to conserve his ammo

Using your system we save one roll per NPC, but the add one roll per shot. That is a net loss right there. Your system also means the NPC itself has no way of knowing how much ammo is left. It also means every single one of these NPCs has enough ammunition for at least one action's worth of full auto shooting, no matter how much he has already used up. In fact it does not seem like these NPCs will ever have to reload, unless you want to add another roll after each shot.

So what is the advantage to your system?
Murtak
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Murtak wrote: Sure, a tracking, dancing, diplomatizing goblin is more formidable than a regular goblin - but he will not overshadow other characters of his level at what he does.
Well most of the time you have to consider what impact if any this stuff is going to have. There are a great deal of completely useless noncombat abilities.

For instance, the dancing goblin doesn't even matter. It really only matters if it interacts with minigames that you may run into.

So I think it is important to determine your main minigames. In Shadowrun, you have basically: Combat, Hacking, Stealth, Magic/Astral

In D&D, your only real big minigame is combat.

In games with a social system (assuming you could find one that wasn't retarded and modeled social scenarios somewhat well), you may have a social minigame too.

And probably what you want is a system where you can design stats for those minigames separately.

So a merchant on the street, you'd go to the social minigame designer and create his social profile. If it was a goblin bandit that attacks the PCs, you'd create a combat profile.

And it would be nice to be able to do any of those profiles in any order you choose (which I think your proposal is sort of leaning to), but I don't think you'd be able to achieve that while also designing NPCs as PCs, not unless you eliminate substats. You can use a profile system to generate final arbitrary numbers similar to 4E, which are based on the challenge you want to throw out, but you're not going to be able to do it where the social crap is based charisma and those skills are bought with points that oculd have been used to buy tracking, because then if you ever want to mix minigames, you have to know how many points were spent where.

NPCs basically should be designed in a vacuum in that regard, with whatever you pick in the combat game not necessarily affecting what exists in the social game. Because once you've got crossover, then you basically are forced to design the entire NPC at once, instead of just the chunks you want. The problem of course is that PC design systems are pretty much going to have crossover, because we do let PCs buy tracking instead of diplomacy.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Murtak wrote: Using your system we save one roll per NPC, but the add one roll per shot. That is a net loss right there. Your system also means the NPC itself has no way of knowing how much ammo is left. It also means every single one of these NPCs has enough ammunition for at least one action's worth of full auto shooting, no matter how much he has already used up. In fact it does not seem like these NPCs will ever have to reload, unless you want to add another roll after each shot.

So what is the advantage to your system?
I actually like Frank's random ammo idea. Because it makes more sense for gun battles in my opinion. I personally think that idea should apply to PCs too, where if you roll a certain amount your gun goes empty.

Because seriously, in a furious gun battle, you're not always counting each shot in a precise manner like most RPGs have us. If anyone has played any FPS games, you aren't just using the minimal amount of bullets in a slow deliberate manner. Yet in an RPG, somehow you always know exactly how many shots you fire in a consistent and indeed almost robotic fashion. You never waste bullets or fire a few extra shots for good measure. And that sucks, because it doesn't feel like a cinematic gun fight.

A random roll to see if your clip gets emptied makes a great deal of sense. Because sometimes you lose your cool and start firign off a ton of bullets.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:If anyone has played any FPS games, you aren't just using the minimal amount of bullets in a slow deliberate manner. Yet in an RPG, somehow you always know exactly how many shots you fire in a consistent and indeed almost robotic fashion. You never waste bullets or fire a few extra shots for good measure.
Actually in FPS games I usually know exactly how many bullets I have left, even in fast moving games like Quake 3 (which was the last twitch shooter I played extensively). And I certainly know whether my clip is full, nearly full, half full, close to empty or with a single shot left.

And in our current Shadowrun campaign I have indeed seen players put a few extra bullets in bodies they were quite sure were down for good - just to make sure no one will patch them up.

Now, I have no clue how close FPS games approximate real shooting, but your second issue might be solved by just adding a decent "down and probably dying but not dead yet" part to your game's wound system. In DnD, with its 10 HP death threshold, numerous save-or-die spells and coup de graces you are pretty much fucked. Dead is dead and quite often obviously dead. Really, not wasting any more spells, energy or ammunition is just good roleplaying in that situation. Change the system so people have a decent chance of being down without being dead and you will have players making sure their most hated enemies are indeed dead.
Murtak
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Murtak wrote: What does this accomplish that can not be accomplished by
- giving him a random amount of bullets
- the GM actually trying to conserve his ammo
Just how would voluntary ammo conservation be accomplished? An NPC would want to plan for after combat, but he would also realize that there could be *no* after combat. So there's a reason to save bullets, and there's a reason to spend them like there's no tomorrow.

But the GM knows for a fact there is really no tomorrow. For a decision whether to autofire or not to be in any way meaningful, the GM should not know how many bullets his character has in that particular combat. And when the PCs kill the child and take his possessions, you can randomly generate how much (if any) is left.

Also, the ammo roll can be made when auto shooting is declared, so if the roll fails, there wasn't enough even for one action.
RandomCasualty2 wrote:I personally think that idea should apply to PCs too, where if you roll a certain amount your gun goes empty.
In some circumstances, it makes sense for you to suddenly find out you need to reload, but it won't make very much sense to run completely out of ammo. Especially if you're crawling around Afghanistan and can actually count your bullets total one by one at downtime.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Starmaker wrote: In some circumstances, it makes sense for you to suddenly find out you need to reload, but it won't make very much sense to run completely out of ammo. Especially if you're crawling around Afghanistan and can actually count your bullets total one by one at downtime.
Well, you should never be able to expend more ammo than what is in your clip, but the actual amount of bullets you fire out might as well be randomized.

Now, you may want to have special types of actions, like aimed shots that are guaranteed to use a single bullet, but have the drawback of being slower.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:If anyone has played any FPS games, you aren't just using the minimal amount of bullets in a slow deliberate manner.
I disagree. In the Ghost Recon style games I use either semi auto or three round burst mode and fire just enough to kill. Spraying just empties your magazine and leaves you vulnerable during reloading.
Frank wrote:Going through the same deliberative process of deciding what to bring and what not to that the PCs did is kind of a waste of time. And in any case however much ammunition he has it won't really be like the PC's limited supply because he's never going to show up in a later scene. So tracking bullets, in addition to being kind of baseless (since we weren't keeping track of his goat hunting expenditures before he came on camera), also doesn't even get us where we want him to be. We want Child Soldier #4 to act like the PC soldiers in that he acts like his ammo is precious.
The only time the exact number of bullets #4 has is important is when hes dead. The PCs are going to be looting that 5.45x39 when they run out of 5.56x45.
Thymos
Knight

Post by Thymos »

Yah, in FPS rate of fire is limited far more by the danger of reloading than not having enough bullets. Especially when the people your fighting have guns.

I'd prefer telling the DM to simply not have every character full auto every round rather than have them make these rolls. The system I would like to see is if you break the NPC's number of bullets down by the number of rounds they can spend shooting rather than the number of bullets they are using. Say that shooting 1 bullet is negligible, and that shooting full auto takes up 3-4 rounds worth of bullets.

I do have some kind of intuition of how many bullets I have left in CoD4, and as players even without ammunition scarcity (which there really isn't) we still try to conserve bullets because reloading gets you killed.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Draco_Argentum wrote:
I disagree. In the Ghost Recon style games I use either semi auto or three round burst mode and fire just enough to kill. Spraying just empties your magazine and leaves you vulnerable during reloading.
Well, mostly ghost recon occurs at long range, so that's a bit different because it's more of a snipers game than a close quarters combat. Sniping is generally a pretty ammo conserving style because full auto doesn't even work well at long range. But if you're in some kind of running cinematic style gun battle, there are going to be a lot of bullets being shot around.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:Well, mostly ghost recon occurs at long range, so that's a bit different because it's more of a snipers game than a close quarters combat. Sniping is generally a pretty ammo conserving style because full auto doesn't even work well at long range. But if you're in some kind of running cinematic style gun battle, there are going to be a lot of bullets being shot around.
At the risk of repeating myself, I generally knew how much ammo I had left when playing Quake (or Counterstrike for that matter). Not that it matters - none of us know whether you count your shots in real combat and even if you did, it is questionable whether we want to model our game that way.
Murtak