[Tome feat] Mystic Dilettante

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Transporter
Effect: Detect Teleportation (Psionic) 3/day.
Knowledge (Planes) rank 4: Dimension Swap (Psionic), Dissipating Touch (Psionic), Know Direction and Location (Psionic) 3/day. Previous abilities become at-will.
Knowledge (Planes) rank 9: Dimension Door, Trace Teleport (Psionic), and Dimensional Anchor 3/day. Previous abilities become at-will.
Knowledge (Planes) rank 14: Teleport, Divert Teleport (Psionic), and Baleful Teleport (Psionic) 3/day. Previous abilities become at-will.
Knowledge (Planes) rank 19: Greater Teleport, Plane Shift, and Dimensional Lock 3/day. Previous abilities become at-will.

Entomancer
Effect: Claws of the Beast (Psionic) and Distract (Psionic) 3/day.
Jump or Climb rank 4: Spider Climb, Jump, and Summon Monster 1 (vermin only) 3/day. Previous abilities become at-will.
Jump or Climb rank 9: Summon Swarm (spiders), Web, Fly, and Summon Monster 3 (vermin only) 3/day. Previous abilities become at-will.
Jump or Climb rank 14: Giant Vermin, Insect Plague, Prying Eyes, Summon Monster 6 (vermin only) 3/day. Previous abilities become at-will.
Jump or Climb rank 19: Greater Prying Eyes, Mass Ectoplasmic Cocoon (Psionic), and Summon Monster 8 (vermin only) 3/day. Previous abilities become at-will.

Stonelord
Effect: Magic Stone 3/day.
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) rank 4: Crystal Shard (Psionic), Stone Meld, and Soften Earth and Stone 3/day. Previous abilities become at-will.
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) rank 9: Spike Stones, Stone Shape, and Summon Monster 3 (Earth elemental) 3/day. Previous abilities become at-will.
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) rank 14: Wall of Stone, Transmute Rock to Mud (and reverse), and Stoneskin 3/day. Previous abilities become at-will.
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) rank 19: Statue, Petrify, and Move Earth 3/day. Previous abilities become at-will.
Last edited by JonSetanta on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Or, you could just take a class that casts spells if you want to be a spellcaster, and not cast spells if you don't want to be a spellcaster.

Seriously, if your feat is so good you have to place limits on the number of times it can be taken for any character because otherwise everyone will use every single feat to take a spellcasting feat, then it is too powerful.

Just play a classless system or play a class that casts spells already.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
BearsAreBrown
Master

Post by BearsAreBrown »

I agree with Kaelik. Those feats are way too much. Basic Sphere Access is the farthest it should go.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I've seen Bloodline feats that can only be taken at level 1, implying that there's a limitation to some feats. This would be no different.

In fact, if it's too good, perhaps just one scaling spell feat would do for anyone.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

sigma999 wrote:I've seen Bloodline feats that can only be taken at level 1, implying that there's a limitation to some feats. This would be no different.

In fact, if it's too good, perhaps just one scaling spell feat would do for anyone.
Yes, Fiendish Dalliance is too damn good. Which is why it is limited to once on creation (also because conceptually, that's what makes sense). And it's too good. And 90% of builds out there would be better if they replaced one of their feats with Fiendish Dalliance, and the ones that wouldn't already have Fiendish Dalliance.

But since there is no conceptual reason to limit your spellcasting feats at all, much less to one per 5 levels, it's dumb. All your feats should be replaced with granting basic access to a sphere, and a limit of one per character, if they should exist at all, which they shouldn't.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

No conceptual reason? There's plenty of balance reasons (and I thought that's what the limits were for in all cases) but off the top of my head you could assume "The character must dedicate their training continually and not deviate from it" or "Born with the correct bloodline or culture".
Done.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Handing out SLAs like candy does not make for interesting characters. It makes for players with option paralysis.

On top of that, you need to be very careful about what kind of spells you hand out at will. Spheres are already designed around this.

Lastly, spells should not upgrade once every 5 levels. That's stupid and means you get spell effects either too early or too late.

Hand out a fucking sphere. If they want at will, make them be a fucking conduit because that's an entire fucking class to get 2 spells at your top level at will by level 11.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Spheres are all over the place and dependent upon Conduit to the point of unusable for all other classes. The frequency of use is all or nothing (1/day for everything. Seriously...) for the entire sphere rather than any sort of recognition that low level spells become obsolete.
On the side, too many spells are from obscure snarky-renamed splats and a mess of reassigning spell levels without explanation.

On the pro side, spheres do (as you imply) have a progression that closely matches that of true casters, and it doesn't break a spellcasting too much class to grab a few as feats since they're 1/day to start.

I realize going from 3/day to at-will might be too much but the selection I chose for these spells is mostly utility.
The progression could instead be:
• 1/day for highest rank
• 3/day for second highest rank
• at-will for others

This was more of an experiment than something I expected to go over well. I'm doubtful about the concept really but whatever I'm looking for sure isn't spheres.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hey dumbass. Make your own spheres.

Yes, I know Sphere's aren't what you are looking for, because you are stupid, and what you are looking for is:

I Don't Know What a Class Is [Stupid]

You are too stupid to write the class you meant to on your character sheet, so your MC has taken pity on you and given you what you really should have had from the beginning.
Benefit: You gain all the class features, especially spellcasting, of some other class you didn't write on your character sheet and have no levels in.
Normal: Normally, people are smart enough to know what class they want to play, and play that class.
Special: You are very special. Short bus Special.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

You're pretty much a bag of dicks lately. Get some medication.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

sigma999 wrote:You're pretty much a bag of dicks lately. Get some medication.
I'm a bag of dicks to you lately, because you have been writing nothing but shit lately.

Write something that isn't ass and this wouldn't be a problem.