Things that make you lose faith in the human race...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I was just pointing out that no one could find an example of the myth as suicide rather than myth as herd behavior.

-Crissa
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Crissa wrote:I was just pointing out that no one could find an example of the myth as suicide rather than myth as herd behavior.
Except you know, every single person who mentioned it.

I was just pointing out that no one could ever find an example of Crissa posting.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Clearly there would not be a call to debunk the lemming suicide myth if it did not exist.

It presumably originated with a disney director misunderstanding the difference between suicide and death by dispersal, then spread to a whole meme about lemmings being suicidal.

Hell, just look at lemming cartoons.

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

And this entire lemmings discussion follows suit.......this thread has gone over the cliff.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

...And again, none of those mention intentional suicide. Well, except the last one, though the cartoon isn't really very clear what its point is. The second one is very clear the lemmings are following to their deaths without considering that it is suicide.

So where is the 'myth' that they intentionally commit suicide to lower their numbers, and don't just accidentally make group movements into death?

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming wrote:Wikipedia: Lemming[/url]]The myth of lemming mass suicide is long-standing and has been popularized by a number of factors. In 1955, Disney Studio illustrator Carl Barks drew an Uncle Scrooge adventure comic with the title "The Lemming with the Locket". This comic, which was inspired by a 1954 National Geographic Society article, showed massive numbers of lemmings jumping over Norwegian cliffs. Even more influential was the 1958 Disney film White Wilderness, which won an Academy Award for Documentary Feature, in which footage was shown that seems to show the mass suicide of lemmings.

Due to their association with this odd behavior, lemming suicide is a frequently-used metaphor in reference to people who go along unquestioningly with popular opinion, with potentially dangerous or fatal consequences. This metaphor is seen many times in popular culture, such as in the video game Lemmings, and in episodes of Red Dwarf and Adult Swim's show Robot Chicken.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Shut up Crissa, you're embarrassing yourself.

-Username17
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

"Even more influential was the 1958 Disney film White Wilderness, which won an Academy Award for Documentary Feature, in which footage was shown that seems to show the mass suicide of lemmings. A Canadian Broadcasting Corporation documentary, Cruel Camera, found that the lemmings used for White Wilderness were flown from Hudson Bay to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where they did not jump off the cliff, but in fact were launched off the cliff using a turntable."

Wow, disney is fokking evil.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Okay, so one filmmaker made a cruel film and sold it to Disney. Disney didn't 'make' the segment. If you want to know how Disney made segments of film in that era, watch the movie, The Wizard of Speed and Time.

And you guys are just repeating yourselves. At no point has it been shown that lemmings do not in fact die due to flock behavior. In fact, the opposite is true, they do flock off cliffs and into impassable streams and inlets of the ocean only to die.

So... You're only trying to distract from the subject. The fact is, lemmings do die in following flock behavior. So the metaphor 'like lemmings' is apt.

-Crissa

...In another turn of events, perhaps Fox is 'spinning' lemmings off the cliff. Is that better?
erik
King

Post by erik »

I do not understand, Crissa. Since you do accept people's assertions at having heard and even believing the myth themselves, nor do you accept the narration where the myth was spawned, is there anything that could convince you?

I used to think it was true because I was taught it at some point and the only time I ever heard lemmings discussed was to describe suicidal tendencies.

If people having believed a myth as true is insufficient proof of it existing (is not that what it means for a myth TO EXIST?) then I probably don't need to read your posts in this thread. =-)

[edit] so... Is your assertion now not that the myth does not exist but rather that it is true?
Last edited by erik on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

So just to be clear.

1) It is physically impossible for any human being to believe that lemmings are suicidal.

2) No such myth exists.

3) Therefore, the phrase "Like Lemmings" explicitly referring to suicidal behavior, could not possibly exist. And we are all crazy people and only Crissa can possibly know anything of any kind.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

The wiki does state that some Lemmings die due to drowning during the course of mass migration.

That is more akin to someone getting trampled underneath a mob rather than a man just lying down to be trampled by the mob.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

So, in using 'like lemmings' to refer to following the crowd behavior, how is that a myth?

None of the debunking sites said anything other than 'lemmings don't intentionally commit suicide to relieve population stress' which is kinda like saying 'bunnies don't intentionally not have litters when their warren is overpopulated.'

No, I do not accept secondhand, unverified reports that since someone, somewhere, thought that 'like lemmings' means 'to commit suicide' rather than 'to follow the crowd' means that the second meaning is a myth!

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Firsthand, until this thread I thought it was true that lemmings were suicidal at times because that is all I had ever heard about them.

I already said as much except was less specific about my enlightenment.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

This is like hundreds of thousands > a million again.

Follow Frank's advice.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I’m probably going on a limb here but I don’t think there are any animals that intentionally commit suicide with the one exception of those animals that are in a strong state of confusion and those animals who are in a situation where perpetual struggling to barely stay alive is required and inaction leads to death. That isn’t to say that a casual observer could not look at behavior and use the expression “That’s suicide.” Unfortunately, that is using a sloppy and incorrect definition of the word. Suicide is defined as “the act or an instance of taking one's own life voluntarily and intentionally” and “the deliberate and intentional destruction of his own life by a person of years of discretion and of sound mind.”

On the other hand (there I go again) it’s perfectly ok to consider lemmings’ actions as “suicidal” while at the same time not “suicide.” Webster does define suicidal as, “destructive of one's own interests.” Texting while driving, for example, is not suicide, but it is suicidal as being in an accident is destructive of one’s own interest.

Thus some animals may commit actions that are suicidal, but they do not commit suicide.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

OR, lemmings are used in a manner not having to do with death, but to the point that they do just follow each other around without "questioning" where they are going. They just do whatever the leader does.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)