The reason fighters can't have nice things.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

Post by K »

MfA wrote:
K wrote:The only model that hasn't met huge resistance has always been the magic item model. So, no one minds if you have Boots of Leaping, but doing it under your own power is always right out except for a few concepts like Monks.
Which makes the attitude so many of the people on this board take towards magic items doubly curious ... they have so much disrespect for the general population's taste.

It's like they think that if only they see their beautiful designed systems they will change their minds completely ... no they fucking won't, they/me are philistines.
Huh?

I think every discussion Frank and I have ever had started with the "will people play this" question and moved on from there.

That being said, you'll never make a perfect game that apeals to everyone. At best, you can make a well-balanced game where the things the game promises can actually be done within the rules, and that has always been a driving focus of the Den. I mean, the whole point of this thread is "DnD promises fighting guys that can compete with Wizards, and doesn't deliver."

So I'm not sure what your damage is. Has it just become fashionable for people to come to the Den and insult us?
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

FrankTrollman wrote:
  • In D&D land, Iron Man doesn't make power armor, Magneto does. So if you make Power Armor very necessary, it's pretty hard to make that not be just one more way Magneto waves his dick at Tony Stark.
If over the ages there have been tons of magnetos creating power armours and their distribution is now determined by random chance and/or market forces is it really that big a deal?

As long as the power armour has more synergy with Tony than Magneto (for instance because of BAB) I don't think people really see this as an issue.
[*] The same people who bitch about Fighters doing interesting things under their own power also bitch about "high magic settings" and wank to magic items being "special" and shit - which all just boils down to these people refusing to give Fighters even those magic items that the game says they are supposed to get.
True enough, but the nice thing is you can just sell those people the same system if you put a "low magic" variant in a small corner of the DMG. They are doing it wrong and screwing their non caster players ... but they will still happily buy your books.
[*] Even if you accept the premise that players who play "normals" want to play Green Lantern when they get to the Justice League power level, the fact is that it is very plausible that the player will end up with Thor's Hammer, Rocket Red's Suit, or Brainiac's Belt instead of a Green Power Ring. Even if they wanted to be Green Lantern, does that necessarily mean they would be content playing Booster Gold or Blue Beetle?
Not really an issue with 3e/PF types magic item shoppes ... even without those DM's can generally be bargained with and some players do like having the evolution of their character shaped by dice rolls.
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

K wrote:I think every discussion Frank and I have ever had started with the "will people play this" question and moved on from there.
I don't see why you took that personal.
So I'm not sure what your damage is. Has it just become fashionable for people to come to the Den and insult us?
For reference I was mostly talking about Lago and Frank (and only about next edition design philosophy, not Tome work). In Lago's case at least we can safely say I'm being plenty polite in how I express my opinions about him, comparatively speaking.
Last edited by MfA on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman wrote:
  • In D&D land, Iron Man doesn't make power armor, Magneto does. So if you make Power Armor very necessary, it's pretty hard to make that not be just one more way Magneto waves his dick at Tony Stark.
Not quite, in D&D, the Iron Man suit is made by Tony, it's just that Tony is a artificer, because his main attribute is his intelligence which he uses to build shit. He starts by creating individual parts at 3rd level, then at fifth level he puts them together while creating the rest of the suit around them
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

FrankTrollman wrote:In D&D land, Iron Man doesn't make power armor, Magneto does. So if you make Power Armor very necessary, it's pretty hard to make that not be just one more way Magneto waves his dick at Tony Stark.
This isn't quite true unless you're playing core only. There are at least a couple ways I can think of off the top of my head that non-casters can make and improve magic items, so Tony Stark in D&D land can make his own armor. But it's certainly not the common approach.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

even with Core Only, Tony's reliance on intelligence as the source of his power tells us he's a wizard, not a fighter. Granted, he's a really bizarre wizard who either doesn't cast spells at all and only crafts, or who makes special items that are his components for spells when he's preparing, but he's still a wizard.

But yes, this means that in D&D people in Power Armour are magical. Which is dumb.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

Iron Man is simply not a viable archetype in core D&D.
Last edited by MfA on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Yeah, if you want Iron Man, go play Gamma World! :confused:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Iron Man is a perfectly viable concept in D&D, as the concept is that of a man who makes and uses power armour. That's it.

Juggernaut is a Favoured Soul of Eruthnyl, Iron Man's an artificer who went and bought scorching ray, flight and divine favour scrolls and then worked them into a +10 suit of full plate

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I'm sorry, I meant to say "If you want Giant Frog, go play Boot Hill!"
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

MfA wrote:True enough, but the nice thing is you can just sell those people the same system if you put a "low magic" variant in a small corner of the DMG. They are doing it wrong and screwing their non caster players ... but they will still happily buy your books.
Tangential question...

If you actually molded D&D to the low magic paradigm, what would it look like? I guess what I want to know is how to you fill up 20 levels of class features and remain low magic? Would that even still be D&D?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Sashi wrote:The system doesn't matter, really.

People seem to be totally fine with Johnny Storm taking a Buick to the sternum and surviving because his flames reduced the damage by melting it away. And they're even fine with it being represented as DR that's only active when he's on fire. People are also fine with a building falling on Reed Richards and him absorbing most of the damage by turning to putty and deforming around the bricks. Or Sue Storm having magical reactive force field damage reduction.

They're also fine with Dr. Doom or Iron Man being way durable because of Magic Science Armor.

The one thing people are not okay with is The Punisher having an ability that says "when The Hulk throws a car at him it actually just clips him and the damage is reduced or else he's a grease stain" despite the fact that that's exactly what happens in the comics every time, and despite the fact that it's totally mechanically feasible to do that, and despite the fact that no matter how good you make someone at dodging, unless it actually does make them literally impossible to get hit (which is in itself a superpower) dice luck will totally kill them by the fourth combat.
I cease to care with this is agreement or disagreement, but it is in fact so mechanically feasible and genre appropriate that it's fucking built into the Superhero game I play:
reFred wrote: To Roll With A Punch (or any other type of physical attack, at the GM’s discretion) the character must make an Attack Roll against his attacker’s
OCV (like Block); this roll has a -2 OCV penalty. If successful, the character takes only half the STUN and BODY that the attack would have normally
done. (Halve the total after defenses have been applied.) The attacker also rolls one less die for Knockback...
And not once in nearly two decades has any of the dozens of players I have gamed with in that system been not okay with that.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Sashi
Knight-Baron

Post by Sashi »

No. That is not the same thing. At all. I'm talking about people throwing around attacks that knock down buildings and you're talking about conditionally halving that? Half of "fine pink mist" is "chunky salsa" not "totally survives".

Feng Shui has a shtick that says "if you die you don't actually, instead the bullet is caught by your lucky flask". It costs as much as "you can only be hurt by things made of rope" and can only be used once.
Last edited by Sashi on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Prak_Anima wrote:sadly it's true. Some/most will like the revisions to classes that allow them to participate on the same level as a beholder/their wizard buddy, but then you show them feats and talk to them about edge, and their eyes, at best, immediately gloss over.

I find when talking about "Edge" that the best way to discuss it is to talk about the basic elements necessary for a person to engage in combat.

The most basic thing is ultimately the "desire" to want to hurt and kill an opponent.

That, right there is +1 BaB. A level 1 Fighter is... actually pretty fucking powerful; they can wield a wide range of weapons, wear a staggering array of armour, and know how to use every style of sheild in a fight.

They can murder a mortal enemy with a single strike if they use a two-handed weapon, or two strikes if they are using almost anything else.

People need to realize that fact before they can even grasp the fact that a +1 BaB is a massive thing; and that every point of BaB means that you are gaining rapidly increasing skill and training at fighting.

A person who solely focuses on how to weave a knife or a voulge past an enemies guard, and into their soft, gushy, innards is definitely going to be better at fighting than some dilettante of combat, like a cleric or wizard or rogue.

The scaling feats represent the fact that your basic training improves as you improve. Muscle memory is something that comes with practice, somewhere in the order of 10,000 repetitions is when something becomes a "technique"; and when it becomes "instinct".

The 11th level fighter with two weapons doesn't have to think about striking with both weapons, now, they're at the point where they automatically do it due to practice; and instead focus on how to bat aside attacks against themselves.

Frank, I'm not really sure what you mean by

The same people who bitch about Fighters doing interesting things under their own power also bitch about "high magic settings" and wank to magic items being "special" and shit - which all just boils down to these people refusing to give Fighters even those magic items that the game says they are supposed to get.
I don't personally mind high magic settings (I sort of like them, since it basically lets me play a modern tech level setting; and possibly a science fiction setting; and lets me pull the wool over the eyes of people who have raging hardons for fantasy games); but, at the same time, I also prefer to just have 'fighters' have personal abilities that let them compete; not strictly powering up "normals" via items.

Items are good, and I often will grill a player as to what items I should give them, or help them equip their character (You're X level, you should probably have: teleportation/miss chance/flying/extreme environment survival/planar travel/combat teleportation/a damned longbow/etc.).

However, I'm also fine with a "fighter" having training, knowledge, insights, or conditioning that allows them to compete; as "innate" abilities.

Is it possible to have that, and remain viable?

In BAR, I'm seriously just writing in "Rare" power schedule powers like "Fate" and "Lucky" or "Experienced" that let a PC handwave an attack or effect if they get enough successes. They can't use those powers all of the time; but when you're potentially going to be turned into a greasy smear, it's probably best to have your character rely on their instinct to move a certain direction when facing a Golem/Right-handed enemy/Fire Mage/Magic Trap/Your Mum/Spess Mehrine/Beholder who is "pulling back an arm/about to swing/snorting sulphur from their nose/lights up/Bakes a Cake/Fires a Bolter/Looks at you".
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Strung Nether
Journeyman

Post by Strung Nether »

I, being a engineering nerd, think the problem occurs when you start breaking the second law of thermodynamics. I was trying to figure out how a world with magic would actually work....and it would end up with everyone getting everything they want. First level wizards can make wands that allow for noone to ever die of anything but old age ever again...a bunch of slightly more powerful mages could build a flying castle in a hour. There is no longer any reason to go to war, everyone is happy, and the local adventures are as bored. The only thing stopping this from happening is if suddenly getting a character level made you a sociopath who didn't want to improve the lives of your family and friends. if even one kind wizard realized he could make the world better for everyone and opened a school that focused on science and engineering while teaching kids how to cast cure light wounds and plant growth once a day...

I don't think its possible for non-magic classes and magic classes to be balanced with each other at all unless you ether make the non-magic dude suddenly have some way of being magic without actually being magic, or make the status of being magic worth jack shit. there is no reason that a magical guy couldn't learn to do the things that the non-magical guy can do...and that makes the non-magical guy by default a second class citizen.

The real problem: how do we make people obsessed with playing Aragorn o.k. with Aragorn suddenly being capable of killing a Balor with his magic kung-fu? If we can't make them swallow that, those players will never be useful to a party that goes to the crazy town everyone finds after level 10.
Last edited by Strung Nether on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Strung
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Maj wrote:
MfA wrote:True enough, but the nice thing is you can just sell those people the same system if you put a "low magic" variant in a small corner of the DMG. They are doing it wrong and screwing their non caster players ... but they will still happily buy your books.
Tangential question...

If you actually molded D&D to the low magic paradigm, what would it look like? I guess what I want to know is how to you fill up 20 levels of class features and remain low magic? Would that even still be D&D?
Well, it wouldn't be D&D as we know it. You basically have to take the first four or six levels and stretch them for 20, and add meaningful stuff in all of those new levels.

You also have to get rid of + swords and armor so people can compete on their own merits alone, which also makes the game not feel like D&D.

D&D past low levels is all about + swords and spells.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

RobbyPants wrote:
Maj wrote:Tangential question...

Well, it wouldn't be D&D as we know it. You basically have to take the first four or six levels and stretch them for 20, and add meaningful stuff in all of those new levels.
You don't "have to" add meaningful stuff in every level. Isn't that the 4E philosophy (i.e. that you can do just fine with a group composed of rangers, fighters and warlords and you just deal with the fact that some levels suck ass)?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

A world without the first law of thermodynamics would not necessarily look any different except at the extreme end of available future technology. Our own world is not a closed system and has energy rained on it by a fusion reactor that is 109 times the diameter of the entire planet. Free energy pours on our world every day. And radioactive isotopes are buried in the ground to such an extent that the earth itself will continue spewing cthonic energy at us day and night for another billion years.

If you could create energy by doing some ritual or another that would change how modern physics and biology works, but it really would not be radically different from the experience of the man on the street - who I remind you can engage in any number of rituals to harvest energy from sources he cannot understand that, while limited, are also so titanic that nothing he could do in a thousand lifetimes would noticeably deplete them.

-Username17
Strung Nether
Journeyman

Post by Strung Nether »

Its not about depleting energy...its about getting it in the first place. Ever pouring bottle+ever soaking sponge+ waterwheel=freaking water powered cars. No one has to work hard in the fields anymore...because plant growth is awesome, and now everyone has tons of free time to invent shit. The industrial revolution would be down the road because simply surviving has become trivially easy, and once some king realizes that he could build a nice fancy house for every peasant without hardly any effort he might just do exactly that.

It doesn't matter that the energy is now limitless...what matters is that it is EASY. How would our history look if the Romans had water powered cars and entire fields of farmland that only needed one guy to cast plant growth and unseen servant hoard a few times a year on?

I think it would change our world allot. The chokepoint for us isn't that there are limited resources, but that getting resources takes time, and there is limited time. If it were trivially easy to feed every human on the planet, and trivially easy to build cities overnight, and trivially easy to build spaceships...see where this is going?
-Strung
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Strung Nether wrote:Its not about depleting energy...its about getting it in the first place. Ever pouring bottle+ever soaking sponge+ waterwheel=freaking water powered cars.
Plug+outlet = energy. Solar Panels + daylight = energy. But we still don't have utopia, even though we do have the resources necessary to sustain the entire planet's population. And we do not have to worry about a random demon invasion or shadows annihilating everything not on hallowed ground within a single week.

Strung Nether wrote:No one has to work hard in the fields anymore...because plant growth is awesome, and now everyone has tons of free time to invent shit. The industrial revolution would be down the road because simply surviving has become trivially easy, and once some king realizes that he could build a nice fancy house for every peasant without hardly any effort he might just do exactly that.
I entirely agree when you say that a pseudo-medieval society does not make sense. But that does not imply utopia. You could just as easily make a case for warring nations with armies of mages, with all arable land long ago blasted into oblivion.

Strung Nether wrote:It doesn't matter that the energy is now limitless...what matters is that it is EASY.
Generally available does not equal easy. If you go by RAW entire civilization will rise and fall within a single-digit span of years. So necessarily we need to houserule some of the more problematic spells and abilities. At this point, even minor magic items are not necessarily as cheap as candy. Sure, your party of adventurers can get their hands on an everpouring bottle. Heck, let's say they get a dozen of them. Now what? You can set up an oasis with that, but you can't set off ther industrial revolution.
Murtak
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Its not about depleting energy...its about getting it in the first place. Ever pouring bottle+ever soaking sponge+ waterwheel=freaking water powered cars.
Think about what you just said. You are advocating an internationally renowned specialist hand making three masterwork items over a period of weeks. In order to make one energy source. Can you imagine how bullshit our society would be right now if solar panels or hydroelectric turbines hand to be made by hand?

The fact that Leonardo DaVinci can make a flying machine that works doesn't mean that the world is going to look that different, because it's not generalizable. You seriously need an artist on the level of Leonardo to make one that actually works. Other people are not artistically gifted enough to make another one. Not even if he gives them the plans and an exhaustive description of how he did it.

Magic is fucking lame. Yes it can do things that are totally impossible in our world, but it is much less useful than technology because it can't be reproduced, disseminated, or repeated. Each solitary item of power is a work of art by an acknowledged master and that's the only one you get. Ever. Which in turn means that if your population goes up by fifty people, that's fifty people who don't have any magical equipment and won't ever get any unless one of them has artistic talent and makes it themselves.

Magical progress only happens when populations are static and the magic items people make can accumulate. And you'd better hope those aren't charged items or you'll hit some sort of disappointing equilibrium even then.

-Username17
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

hogarth wrote:Frank's not saying it's impossible to write a game that allows the Bronze Age Batman and Flash to work together, say (even though Bronze Age Batman's main powers include "throw batarang" and Bronze Age Flash's powers include "travel through time"). It would just make a shitty game, that's all.
Throw Batarang Batman doesn't belong on the JLA, no. But Throw Batarang Batman hasn't been on the JLA in decades. That's not an issue of Batman being too low-powered; that an issue of trying to marry a low-powered character to a high-powered one. JLA Batman has Disappear Instantly and Xanatos Plan and Fourth-Best Martial Artist In The World and Whatever Gadget He Needs For The Situation even when he doesn't have those powers in Detective Comics.

Even if Batman is a member of the JLA, the JLA never faces the Riddler. Batman has JLA-tier enemies too, and they tend to be enemies who scale conceptually along with Batman, like R'as al Ghul or Bane or Prometheus (yeah I know he's lame shut up).

Any game where Batman has both the Riddler and Amazo as his villains is going to need to abandon the idea that a character has a fixed level that increases over time. Alternately, you can just not try to do all of the various versions of Batman with one character sheet, and accept that Detective Comics Batman and Justice League Batman are no more the same character than Indiana Jones is Doc Savage.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

MfA wrote: In Lago's case at least we can safely say I'm being plenty polite in how I express my opinions about him, comparatively speaking.
I don't consider passive-aggressive whining very polite. I consider it a lot more rude to feign being a wounded gazelle and go 'oh, I have opinions but I'm not going to express them because I feel that I'll be dumped on. By people like you. See how polite I am?'

You got a problem with me or with what I say or how I say it, fucking say so. Or don't. Who knows, I just may change my mind. I've let it be changed before. Just don't try to have it both ways, that shit is annoying.
FrankTrollman wrote: Magical progress only happens when populations are static and the magic items people make can accumulate. And you'd better hope those aren't charged items or you'll hit some sort of disappointing equilibrium even then.
Of course that's only under the model that being a magician is a matter of random artistry rather than an occupation; sculptors as opposed to architects. I don't see any reason why making magicians, even in D&D-land, isn't something like being an engineer or a tradesman where you can predict someone's skill and output as a function of training. For fuck's sake, we have magician colleges and priest academies and psion temples and all that.

I consider the whole 'magicians are speshul snowflakes!' trope a product of leftover grognard thinking. Notice that in more modern works about magicians (Harry Potter, Naruto, A:TLA, et. al) training and producing mages is something akin to a society predicting how many, say, policemen it will make. Yes, not everyone is going to get to be a magician but then again not everyone has the brains required to be a scientist nor does everyone have the temperament and physical strength to be a full-time soldier.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

MfA wrote: As long as the power armour has more synergy with Tony than Magneto (for instance because of BAB) I don't think people really see this as an issue.
1) It's only not an issue because in source materials the hero only has to go to the Legendary Blacksmith once or twice. If you have 'obtain magical items' as a class feature, meaning that you upgrade fairly frequently, it gets rubbed in our faces that the hero's flavor is subservient to another character. That's okay for some character concepts like the summoner and the priest, but I thought that the whole point of this retarded Badass Normal trope was to make the character strong 'under their own abilities'.

2) There are also classes with high BAB that don't have to suck Magneto's cock. The paladin and the gish for instance don't have to go to the Magic Item Mart and present their gift cards just to work. In addition to functioning just fine without the gear, they can make their power armor themselves in addition to having the option of finding or commissioning it. The DMF has inherently gimped flavor compared to their magical sword buddies.
Fuck you.
MfA wrote: Not really an issue with 3e/PF types magic item shoppes ... even without those DM's can generally be bargained with and some players do like having the evolution of their character shaped by dice rolls.
This didn't work in 4E D&D and it's not going to work if you encode it into a class. Seriously, I have written several threads on these boards about how completely arbitrary and broken that game's treasure system is and one of the big reasons is that they try to split the difference between 'sure, it's all random, but sometimes your DM will give you what you want!'.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

hogarth wrote: You don't "have to" add meaningful stuff in every level. Isn't that the 4E philosophy (i.e. that you can do just fine with a group composed of rangers, fighters and warlords and you just deal with the fact that some levels suck ass)?
4E actually advocates the exact opposite of that. They of course did not accomplish that because they are under the impression that shifting numbers around constitutes meaningful advancement, but 4E tried very, very hard to push the idea of 'no empty levels!'

Regardless, you really do need to add meaningful stuff at every level. For one thing, if gaining a level does not impart some noticeable advancement, it doesn't need to exist in the game in the first place. For two, no writer can resist the cheap and easy allure of trying to fill up dead space with power creep. Look at what happened to 3E and 4E D&D if you don't believe me. If you really don't want players to advance, you need to close up those gaps and place a hard limit.
Strung Nether wrote: The real problem: how do we make people obsessed with playing Aragorn o.k. with Aragorn suddenly being capable of killing a Balor with his magic kung-fu? If we can't make them swallow that, those players will never be useful to a party that goes to the crazy town everyone finds after level 10.
Give them the ultimatum of playing a magic character (either retire Aragorn or power him up) or kick them out of the game. Seriously. If they're not willing to accept that Badass Normal Aragorn is just not appropriate for them to play at this juncture, then high-level D&D is just not for them.

It'd be like someone to a Shadowrun group saying that they want to play a troll in full body armor and a minigun who goes shooting down civilians in broad daylight. Or someone who wants to play a pacifist peasant in 2E D&D. Or someone who wants to play a human in Rescue Rangers: Eternal Adventures. Or someone who wants to play a special forces soldier in Harry Potter RPG. Yes, those kinds of characters do exist in those settings; if Hermione Granger looked hard enough she could talk to Delta Team leader. But those concepts just are flat-out inappropriate to actually play. So if the player can't get enjoyment out of game unless they play one of those genre-breaking concepts, then the game is just not for them and both the player and the game designers should get over this fact.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.