[Non-US] News That Makes You laugh/cry/neither...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

While I agree that the government response to the protests has been outrageously bad, I don't have that much sympathy for the students protesting. I'm in BC, and their yearly tuition is currently a little less than my tuition for one semester. Maybe I'm being horribly ripped off, but even after the full tuition increase they'll be paying less than me.

I have even less sympathy for the students that stormed into classrooms and kicked out other students that weren't protesting. That was definitely a step too far. On the other hand, the provincial government's reaction has been completely over the top. The whole situation is just a mess.

EDIT: Lago, this one's not the Prime Minister's fault. It's Quebec's provincial government that wants to raise tuition, so the increase will only apply to Quebec. Quebec currently has very low tuition prices, so the 82% raise shouldn't hit them nearly as badly as it would in most other places in North America. It's also spread out over a few years, so people whole are already at university will miss the worst of it.
Last edited by rampaging-poet on Wed May 23, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

See, here in the US of A tuition only goes up by 5-15% each and every year for three decades while inflation is only ~2% and real wages for the bottom 99.9% are pretty close to flat. The result is the same effective locking the unwashed masses out of bettering themselves and/or into lifetimes of debt-slavery, but it makes for fewer headlines and protests.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed May 23, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Don't forget the simultaneous pokes and jabs at the "elite" and the glorification of the down-home blue collar peeps.

See... The hooray-ignorance propaganda campaign spread by conservative media helps the belief that education and intelligence are no-bad-wrong sprout and flower. The gradual price increase becomes the final justification to not go to college - in addition to being corrupting and bad for your brain, it's just too damned expensive.

This, of course, just does everything to reaffirm that the liberal elite remains elite and the country is too stupid to know otherwise.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

rampaging-poet wrote:While I agree that the government response to the protests has been outrageously bad, I don't have that much sympathy for the students protesting. I'm in BC, and their yearly tuition is currently a little less than my tuition for one semester. Maybe I'm being horribly ripped off, but even after the full tuition increase they'll be paying less than me.
Where are you going in BC? I looked at UBC for their MLS program, and the cost was negligible, especially compared to institutions in the states and elsewhere in Canada. It was literally a quarter of the cost of the other schools I was considering.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

I am a student at the University of Victoria. A full course load is five courses per semester, each course is 1.5 credits, and each credit costs $330. That works out to a total of $2475 each semester before the gym fee, the bus pass, and other assorted charges. On top of that, engineering courses (including computer science) cost nearly twice as much per course.

Maybe I've misinterpreted these tuition fees, but the articles I've read lead me to believe that the current tuition amounts listed for Quebec cover a year of courses and the other fees for the year. Even neglecting other fees, I still pay more for one semester of courses than they do for a year. That said, I haven't looked into the tuition at other universities here.
Last edited by rampaging-poet on Wed May 23, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I just checked the Concordia University Tuition Calculator, and a Quebec Resident taking 15 credits a term for 2 terms in the Engineering faculty would pay $1,943.97 for the first term and $2007.05 for the second. That seems to be less than you're paying, but not amazingly so. Note that at Concordia, a class is three credits, not one and a half, so we're doing a five class to five class comparison there.

Note that if tuition rises by 82%, it will be significantly more than you pay.

-Username17
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

I see. The articles I had read on the subject must have confused the cost for a year and the cost for a semester. The complaints make more sense now. Lack of sympathy officially withdrawn.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

It should be anyway- your costs are extremely low compared to most institutions of higher education in the US and Canada. I know bottom tier community colleges that charge more than that. Not sure how U Vic rates as far as schools go, but you are paying somewhere between 25% to 50% of the cost of the average mid-tier, state-supported university. And about 5-10% of of the top-tier schools.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Voss wrote:It should be anyway- your costs are extremely low compared to most institutions of higher education in the US and Canada.
So fucking what?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Two thousand dollars? That is it?

I was looking at 30,000 a year for an in-state school, with federal aid totalling loans of 5K a year.

If I ever have kids, I am so making them go to university in Canada.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
erik
King

Post by erik »

name_here wrote:Two thousand dollars? That is it?

I was looking at 30,000 a year for an in-state school, with federal aid totalling loans of 5K a year.

If I ever have kids, I am so making them go to university in Canada.
Seconded. The private highschools grade schools around here are way more than those university costs. Hell, I think some preschools are comparable in cost to those colleges (4k/yr). If I could send my kids to 4 years of college for whatever 20k passes for come inflation 15 years from now, that would make me happy.

Someday I need to have a serious talk with family about moving to Canada. Gonna suck selling houses, but if we can stomach that, then hoo-rah.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Voss wrote:It should be anyway- your costs are extremely low compared to most institutions of higher education in the US and Canada.
So fucking what?
2K a semester is literally doable on a part time, minimum wage job. It is rather a big deal that a university like this is actually a possibility for people.

I'm not sure what to tell you if you don't know that the costs of higher education are literally breaking people and are an insurmountable barrier for people in low income brackets.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

The US priority on making old people rich at the expense of young people, is starting to really catch up. We're about to get hit with the boom swinging back, and fro some reason, no one remembers we're on a ship with a boom.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Holy shit, this was written in 1992!

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

The best kind of parody is the kind that doesn't know what it's parodying but turns out to be dead-on accurate anyway.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
K
King

Post by K »

Brits plan to stop health and safety inspections.

So, I guess no one planning to go to England should eat the food, especially from bars which will no longer get any health or safety inspections.
Last edited by K on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

And apparently they're also easing construction regulations, so I'd suggest not entering any building.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

K wrote:Brits plan to stop health and safety inspections.

So, I guess no one planning to go to England should eat the food, especially from bars which will no longer get any health or safety inspections.
Jeremy Clarkson will approve of that . .

In other News, Greece seems to think it has found a way out of being broke:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/w ... 688901.htm
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
erik
King

Post by erik »

*cough* story more than a year and a half old...
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

*nods*
i just heard of this today though <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Now that we don't clean the grease traps, the economy can double every twenty minutes!

No wait, that's E. Coli.

-Username17
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

FrankTrollman wrote:

Now that we don't clean the grease traps, the economy can double every twenty minutes!

No wait, that's E. Coli.

-Username17
This is more leftist propaganda, trying to tie the economic disaster in England to the policy that HM's government has actually pursued. It's deeply dishonest for two reasons:
1) The species name isn't capitalized, that should be E. coli.
2) E. coli only doubles every 20 minutes under ideal lab conditions. In the grease traps, it's probably going to be half an hour or even forty five minutes.

Once stripped of these gross distortions, we see that austerity has worked, and will continue to work even more better in future, as the free market has the capital to respond to the coming mutant bacteria driven zombie plague.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihd7ofrwQX0
Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard has hit back at Opposition Leader Tony Abbott's call for Peter Slipper to be removed as Speaker, attacking Mr Abbott as a misogynist.
That description understates the intensity of the insults in question. This is brilliant stuff. It's like watching a TGD discussion in real life.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Israel "vaccinated" Ethiopian Jewish immigrants with Depo-Provera.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Do we have any Brazilian Denners in here?

And if we do, what's going on over there?