Will 5e Suck Harder than 4e?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

ScottS wrote:Despite the Den objections, I'm still going to make the argument that he could be useful on the team if it increases the quality of the fluff (if for example they can come up with a main setting which is more interesting/less phoned-in than the Nentir Vale/PoLand).
The guy who wrote that godawful Dark Sun adventure? The guy who wrote the FR campaign setting so awful that it got its own page on Wallbangers on TvTropes?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
ScottS
Journeyman

Post by ScottS »

If "90s Bruce" still exists and is just hiding/sleeping in some dusty corner of his brain, then yes. (I'd forgotten about the 4e ranger incident; harder to see why he got promoted then unless WOTC is giving him the same sort of "RttToH was cool" credit that I am.)
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Actually, here's the list again. It got quite a bit longer before it got blammed out of existence. Stupid insecure hugbox otaku.

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=10 ... god#109350

Wait, did I really say that Monte Cook was an unabashedly good writer back then? He's fallen to the dark side. :gross:

But anyway, back in 3E D&D Forgotten Realms was a cash cow. Seriously, there were like 10 150+ page books of that thing. Even stupid FR books like Unapproachable East and Silver Marches were like a license to print money. Bruce Cordell killed it the fuck off. Then again, it might not strictly be his fault, 4E D&D also managed to let Eberron and Dark Sun die in the cradle.

But the idea of Bruce Cordell being able to contribute quality fluff? Dude, he had his fingerprints on the last two works made for two widely-loved and highly-anticipated franchises, both of which were slammed by fans. And not by TGD over-analyzers, I mean casual fans.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
DestroyYouAlot
NPC

Post by DestroyYouAlot »

ModelCitizen wrote:Here's how I read that quote:

Q: "Fighters can't do anything but fight. How do you plan to fix this?"
Mike: "This goes back to GNS, and buzzwords." *pauses to inhale deeply from a can of paint thinner* "Example: the Climb skill hogs the spotlight and is overpowered. Therefore other classes will Skill Challenge the wall."
Q: "What."
Mike: "That's all the time we have, folks!"
Just bumping to say that I registered for this forum on the strength of this post alone. *golf clap*