[Let's Play] Blood Sword V - The Walls of Spyte

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Go deeper.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

We need to go deeper.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The corridor opens out into a small secret laboratory. Vials and retorts clutter a workbench that lines the wall, but they are dusty and cracked - long since unused. However, a tall jar of nacreous milky liquid catches your eye. Suspended in it is a small winged homunculus.

As you approach, it stirs, opening one eye and then leaping to attention, little embryonic hands that fill you with a particular revulsion beating at the glass that imprisons it. A thin bubbling voice squeaks, 'Ah, noble lord! Release me and I will bestow on you treasures beyond your imaginings! Great and wondrous king - long have I awaited your coming!' He continues in a vein of outrageous flattery, and carping, wheedling tones offering all sorts of plainly impossible bargains in return for his release. At last he ceases his ranting, but does maintain a claim to certain knowledge of parts of the citadel of Spyte. Eventually you agree to release the homunculus when and if he provides some information that proves of use to you. Note him down on your Character Sheet. There is nothing else of interest here in the cellar so you return to the main entry hall of the keep.
It looks like the party have learnt their lessons regarding bargaining with beings trapped in a bottle before letting them out. Who can forget their memorable encounter with the genie in Book 3?
Leaving the cellar behind, you re-enter the darkened hall at the entrance of the keep. Will you go deeper into the shadows of the keep or go through the door to your right?
Go deeper again, or penetrate the nearer opening?

And who wants to keep the bottled homunculus?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Try the door.

Pepito will volunteer to carry the Homunculus as he has a fair amount of pocket space now that he used his herbs and used up his illusionary warrior.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Go through the door, and maybe open it too.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Oh, also fuck it I heal for 5 EP worth, all going to me. There's a 1/6 chance I go down to 1 EP, 1/6 I don't lose or gain anything, and a 2/3 chance that I regain 5-20 EP. Which should be pretty good. I probably die if I roll a natural 1 but I probably die if I don't try healing so it doesn't really matter.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

If you do roll badly, heal up with my herbs.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Healing roll = (3-1) x5 = 10 END regained. Pepito is back to 16 END (basically undoing the damage done by the last battle).
You go through the door to your right. It opens onto a long room, well-lit by ornate silver lanterns, hanging from the ceiling. The walls on either side are hung with many portraits of people who appear to be ancestral lords of Blackridden Castle. At the other end of the room is another door. One picture is particularly interesting, for it depicts a black-robed figure seated on an iron throne. His face is hideous - a demonic visage of twisted features and bristling fangs which seems to radiate an uncanny baleful evil. Its maw gapes open as if in a silent scream. From its robes, four chitinous arms extend skywards.

If there is a Sage in the party, turn to 199. If there is an Enchanter who wishes to try something, turn to 495. Otherwise, turn to 406.
From the way the text is presented.....the Enchanter has an option, but the Sage automatically get priority.

SAGE:
You recognise the demon portrayed from Lord Jadhak's tome, The Indigenes of the Realms of Demons. It is Onaka, Lord of the Timeless Wastes, the One who Burns. He is a demon known to be called upon by the True Magi and to whom he owes service.
We are then directed back to the last section. Does the Enchanter want to try something?
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Sure, I'll check my options!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'll second that motion. We might be able to magic this demon up.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

ENCHANTER:
You decide to cast a minor detection spell on the painting. It reveals that the portrait is laden with demonic sorcery.
Meh, it's just a semi-confirmation of what the Sage knows.
The portrait seems very ancient and remarkably lifelike.

If any player wishes to examine it more closely, turn to 536. If not, you can only go through the door at the far end of the room. Turn to 304.
Want to check out the demon for closely?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Looks like the blue options are there to hint that messing with it is a bad idea, so nope.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I do not enjoy evil art.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Leave it be.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The door opens onto a small gallery that overlooks a large banqueting hall. As soon as you step out onto it you are greeted by the raucous sounds of merriment. Looking over, you see a long oaken table heaped with fine viands and flagons of golden wine. Seated at the table are many revellers, their faces smiling and flushed with wine. They are dressed magnificently, but in clothes of a style that would denote great antiquity - indeed, it seems a mixture of styles and cultures. All of the talking, laughing celebrants are fair to look upon, each enjoying the full bloom of youth. There are about fifty of them, and at the head of the table sits a sumptuously dressed man who wears a golden crown on his head. Serving men and women dart about like bees at a flower, constantly tending to the needs of the guests. No one has noticed your arrival.

Will you go down the stairs that lead to the banqueting hall or head back through the portrait room to the entry hall of the keep?
Join the party?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I didn't come this far to do just go back.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Party time!
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You reach the bottom of the stairs before you are noticed. A sudden pall of silence descends like a sodden blanket. People turn to stare at you in surprise, but the crowned man at the head of the table merely smiles a slow smile of greeting. Instantly, the rest of the guests break into loud chatter, laughing and calling greetings to you all. Just then, a torch in a bracket beside you on the wall sputters, causing a brief surge of bright light to flare before your eyes. In that brief instant it seems to you that the people in the room take on the appearance of old and doddering age, but then all is as it was - a trick of the light, no doubt.
They're using magic light that makes them looks young! Awesome, let's get some of that light-transmitted youth elixir!
The man at the head of the table stands and speaks in a deep, bass voice: 'Welcome, traveller, to our home, welcome. Please, join us in what we fondly call the Banquet of Eternal Dreams.' Several of the celebrants smirk or titter into their hands at this stage. 'I am King Vorto, lord of Blackridden Castle, and it is our custom to freely invite all wayfarers who visit at this time to join us. Come, sit, make merry and tell us your tale.' Several servants rush forward and prepare places near the king, laying out plates of enamelled gold and utensils of patterned silver. You realise how hungry you feel as the delicious smells of the banqueting table waft to your nostrils. The food looks spectacular.

Will you sit with King Vorto or say that you cannot tarry and take your leave, going back the way you came?
Another "are you sure you don't want to go back" option? I'll just proceed here.
You pull back the finely carved, gold-inlaid chair to sit. As you look up, it seems that you are sitting at an ancient crumbling table of rotted wood, covered in layers of dust and grime. The walls are black with soot, and desiccated skeletons, with grinning skulls draped in long white hair, slump unmoving around you, dressed in decayed fragments of fine robes. Rings and bracelets circle thin bony fingers and skeletal wrists. Hands of pitted bone held together by yellowing leathery ligaments and tendons still grasp cobwebbed goblets as if in macabre imitation of life. A thrill of horror electrifies your spine.

A voice, vibrant and rich with sensuous life, sounds in your ear: 'What ails you, my friend?'

You turn to look into the wide green eyes of a young woman, of breathtaking beauty, sitting beside you. The air is filled with the sound of merriment, and a minstrel sings a happy tune nearby. All around you, people are laughing and joking, and the hall is filled with sound and light once more. You shake your head, unsure as to your senses.

'I thought ... no, it is nothing,' you reply.

If you wish to remain seated, turn to 67. If you want to leave, back up the stairs to the hall of portraits, turn to 379.
They really want to be sure that we are sure. Are we?
Last edited by SGamerz on Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

This is such an obvious trap I'm wondering if it's even a trap. I'll stay at my seat.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Yeah, now it's either just trying to psych us, or a test of courtesy. Stay put.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The king signals, and servants lean over you, pouring a sweet-smelling wine, golen coloured, into your goblets, heaping your plates with rich aromatic foods. Instantly your mouth waters in anticipation.

'Come, eat and drink your fill, and then you can tell us your tale,' says King Vorto.

Will you eat and drink, leave the food alone and tell him about your adventure so far in Blackridden Castle or, if you feel something is wrong, attack the king and attempt to subdue him?
Finally, some variety in the choices! Do we want to stuff our faces, brag about our heroics, our murder our host?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Boast.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The food is obviously poisoned, and if we were going to fight our way out we'd have done it already. Talk to the king.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Storytelling time!
The king smiles politely, but he appears agitated for some reason as you begin your tale. He seems bored until you mention the painting of the demon in the hall of portraits. His eyes narrow in hate, and one or two of the guests curse under their breaths. 'That is Onaka, the demon Lord of the Timeless Wastes,' mutters the king, 'the One who Burns. A traveller once told us of a charm that is said to be efficacious against him, but it is too late for us. It went like this:

'He who is by Quotidian Time unbounded
Of amaranthine wastes, Exarch
Aoristic Onaka, his might impounded
By Void; of all demons, Autarch.'

His face clouds for a moment, and then something seems to snap in his mind. 'Enough of this,' he shrieks, leaping to his feet. 'I command you to eat!'

He stands, quivering with rage, staring at you, fingering a broad-bladed knife at his belt. The rest of the guests fall silent, save for a few who mutter darkly: 'Yes, eat, eat the food of the Banquet of Eternal Dreams!'

Will you eat and drink or attack the king and attempt to subdue him?
Oh well.....
Darth Rabbitt wrote:The food is obviously poisoned, and if we were going to fight our way out we'd have done it already.
.....looks like you're gonna have to pick one or the other, anyway! :tongue:

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 12
Psychic Ability: 7
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 21/45
Damage: 2 Dice +2

*Extra Notes: Takes no FP/damage penalty when fighting unarmed, +1 Armour Rating from Potentiation on top of normal armour bonus

Items:
1 Sword
2 Sword
3 Plate Armour (Armour Rating four)
4 Money pouch (empty)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7 Holy Powder
8 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
9-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 10 (+3 from Blood Sword)
Psychic Ability: 7
Endurance: 31/37
Damage: 4 Dice +1 (+2d6 Damage from Blood Sword)

Items:
1 Blood Sword (+3 FP, +2d6 Damage)
2 Studded Leather Armour (Armour Rating 2)
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (5 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Book (looted from crystalized corpse) - turn to 493 if read
9 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
10 Empty Slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 8
Awareness: 7
Endurance: 16/31
Damage: 2 Dice +1

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (4 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Homunculus in a Bottle
9-10 Empty Slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 1
Psychic Ability: 14
Endurance: 8/31
Damage: 1 Die +3

Items:
1 Sword
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Quiver (6 arrows)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
8-10 Empty Slot
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Welp, he's broken guest-right, so now we have to stab him. For the good of society.