Dominion 3 Strategy & Questions

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

What's a good pretender for Bandar Log when you want to make effective use of White Ones as your primary troops up to mid-game, then transition to national summons? I'm thinking a water major / earth minor would be pretty good, and it would be useful for yakshas and kinnara as well.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Quickness bless for White Ones? Does not seem worth it. Combined with a major fire or death bless it might be significantly more effective, especially on your summons with multiple attacks, but you would have to tank your scales.

A sleeping rainbow pretender with a few minor blesses would leave some room for scales. A sleeping Mother of Monsters could take dom 6, w4/e4/n4 and have room for 4 positive scales (assuming heat 3). A great enchantress could do the same and have the room for 6 positive scales. Both would be capable of clamming and summoning the Kalaisa and Naga nationals that are also often capable of clamming. One can thug, the other can research and generate pearls while they have no other duties.

Expanding the bless for survivability of White Ones...maybe Air. They only have bucklers, after all. Alternatively, you could just use a decoy screen of chaff units. Minor earth gives them reinvigoration, nature gives them reduced afflictions from hits they survive and the minor water increases their survivability in melee significantly once they get an experience star or 2. That bless also provides some benefits for your communion mages, namely the minor reinvigoration and regeneration, which significantly reduces the fatalities from the excessive fatigue generated by communions (over-fatigue starts causing damage, which can be regenerated).

Your biggest concern is going to be finding decent priests in order to bless numbers of White Ones quickly. Brahmin and indie priests should be capable of blessing a small squad each, but you're going to have to wait until conjuration 4 before you have a chance at communion capable priests capable of pulling off a Divine Blessing.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Earth 9/Nature 6. It turns the White Ones into tanks that chop and never stop, and then does the same thing for the Gandharvas that are your mainstay national summon. The Great Mother does it cheapest, the Cyclops is a better SC when it finally wakes up.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Earth 9/Nature 6. It turns the White Ones into tanks that chop and never stop, and then does the same thing for the Gandharvas that are your mainstay national summon. The Great Mother does it cheapest, the Cyclops is a better SC when it finally wakes up.
This.

Note that it is also made of pure gravy for your national magicians, who are all sacreds.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Cool, thanks. I think I know what I'm playing next time I try a MA game.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

So, what's a good Pretender build for MA Mictlan, considering their strong bless affinity and rather wacky chassis options?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:So, what's a good Pretender build for MA Mictlan, considering their strong bless affinity and rather wacky chassis options?
You have a lot of options with MA Mictlan. You can and do want to set your dominion on fire for an awesome bless and you want at least a Dominion of 8. I would strongly suggest getting an imprisoned god, and I would also strongly suggest taking Blood 4.

One possibility is a Frost Father with A4,W9,N4,B4. Imprisoned lets you have a dominion of 8, Order 2, Sloth 3, Heat 3, Growth 1, Misfortune 2, and Magic 1. That gives you a pretty strong set of Jaguar Warriors in the early game, and gives you some powerful stuff to grow into in the late game. It's actually neutral income believe it or not. But if you wanted to drop the Growth and pick up a Death or Earth side suit, I wouldn't blame you.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Why the Blood 4? Just for the strength bless, or to take some advantage of the national blood spells, or...?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Why the Blood 4? Just for the strength bless, or to take some advantage of the national blood spells, or...?
Blood Bless gets better the more medium-strength attacks your troops get. Werejaguars get 3 medium strength attacks, Eagle Warriors get 2 medium strength attacks. That already makes Blood super awesome just from a "killing people" standpoint.

On top of that, MA Mictlan still has access to the super awesome Mictlan blood summons, including and especially the ability to summon Blood hunters for Blood Slaves. So if you have a single half-decent blood caster, it's shit simple to bootstrap yourself into a whole blood economy in the late middle game.

So coming and going, MA Mictlan wants a Blood 4 god. That it happens to be a cheap addon for the Frost Father is simply a nice side benefit. If you were paying 112 points to put it on an Oracle, or 122 points to put it on a Mother of Serpents, you'd still do it.

-Username17
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I got lured into a CBM game, and I'm having trouble with Arco's chariots. They cost 35 gold for a unit with two lives, a total of 20 hp, protectiong 17, and mounted-elite level Defense skills. Playing EA Pangaea I haven't found anything they can't roll over yet.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Try giving them lots of fatigue. I suppose they're a bit fast for sleep cloud, but that still might push their fatigue up enough to pass out before running over your entire chaff swarm.
Last edited by name_here on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

If their morale is low enough, you could spam Panic and try and autokill them when they route into enemy territory.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

It's literally impossible to figure out what the current state of CBM is, and so I can't give any real advice. It turns into a new game with every update as new things become broken in the absence of good documentation.

Try massing Earth Meld and Destruction and bows on Fire Large Monster. I don't think that they've ruined those yet.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

What happens if you cast Phantasmal Attack on a province, and teleport your own guys in during the same turn?
K
King

Post by K »

Orion wrote:What happens if you cast Phantasmal Attack on a province, and teleport your own guys in during the same turn?
Phantasmal Warriors will attack your guys in a second battle after the Teleport battle (assuming you win).
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

K wrote:
Orion wrote:What happens if you cast Phantasmal Attack on a province, and teleport your own guys in during the same turn?
Phantasmal Warriors will attack your guys in a second battle after the Teleport battle (assuming you win).
Or... the phantasmal warriors attack the province and then your teleport team cleans up the survivors.

All magic battles happen before movement, and they happen in a random order. Phantasmal attacks are a neutral force that appears in the magic phase. So they will get in the queue to have a battle with the current owner of the province and then that will shake down until only the owner has any troops and then movement happens and then more battles might be triggered.

-Username17
K
King

Post by K »

FrankTrollman wrote:
K wrote:
Or... the phantasmal warriors attack the province and then your teleport team cleans up the survivors.

All magic battles happen before movement, and they happen in a random order. Phantasmal attacks are a neutral force that appears in the magic phase. So they will get in the queue to have a battle with the current owner of the province and then that will shake down until only the owner has any troops and then movement happens and then more battles might be triggered.

-Username17
Before I posted, I ran a test game and couldn't get a result where the Teleport battle took place after the Phantasmal Attack battle. It was always Teleport battle first and Phantasmal Attack second.

The rituals took place randomly. The battles did not.

I think that battles with Neutral summons take place after normal magic battles with units that you control.
Last edited by K on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.