News that makes us laugh, cry, or both

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:4Chan Strikes Again!
hmm... so, random ignorant person did a search for a bear to use on the flier? Or the person who made it's a /b/tard and thought it'd be funny?
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

I didn't know about the thing until that video, so I wonder exactly what person who saw it does, and if the one who noticed what it is has been looked into? I thought the head kind of looked like one of the Disney Gummy Bears....
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Have you heard that Glenn Beck raped and murdered a young girl in 1990?

I'm not saying that he did; nobody is. I just think it's a little suspicious that he hasn't come out and denied it.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:Have you heard that Glenn Beck raped and murdered a young girl in 1990?

I'm not saying that he did; nobody is. I just think it's a little suspicious that he hasn't come out and denied it.
:confused: Um...you are like way late because Beck filed suit the day after that website went live.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/US_free_spe ... eck_parody

Unlike this pedo-bear, Glenn Beck is good for laughs from everyone form every walk of life, about as much as Limbaugh and Bill O'Rielly.

I didn't even know what a "chan" was until that either. I so miss the FIDOnet and BBS's of yesteryear.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... face-Table

I have no idea what these are going to end up costing exactly, but I predict that it will be enough to get at least one laptop with Neverwinter Nights installed on it instead.

This will be particularly amusing if the giant touchscreen table and software end up costing enough to supply an entire 5-person group with wireless internet, computers, and NWN.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Avoraciopoctules wrote: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... face-Table

I have no idea what these are going to end up costing exactly, but I predict that it will be enough to get at least one laptop with Neverwinter Nights installed on it instead.

This will be particularly amusing if the giant touchscreen table and software end up costing enough to supply an entire 5-person group with wireless internet, computers, and NWN.
:confused: I had that idea back in the day when playing the table version of PacMan at a bar where each of two chair could play at the table and the other two could only watch as they had no controls.

Took about 30 years to be able to get D&D to a table when PacMan did it all that time ago. Moore's Law is a bit slow isn't it in this regard since it has been well over a few generations for technology to get back to where it was in the 70s-80s.

I guess Moore's Law was superseded by things becoming Retro law?
Last edited by shadzar on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

shadzar wrote:Moore's Law is a bit slow isn't it in this regard since it has been well over a few generations for technology to get back to where it was in the 70s-80s.
Moore's law deals with the doubling of processing ability, not haptics. I think you're probably right about it being an example of the 25 year fashion cycle, though.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
shadzar wrote:Moore's Law is a bit slow isn't it in this regard since it has been well over a few generations for technology to get back to where it was in the 70s-80s.
Moore's law deals with the doubling of processing ability, not haptics. I think you're probably right about it being an example of the 25 year fashion cycle, though.
That is what I mean. PacMan was run on 64k of memory. Now we have had 1 gig capacity for a decade in some non-public machines, and even that much memory shouldn't be needed for what the MSSurface does.

Ad to that we have had over a gig processors for more than a decade and it took this long to make JUST a computer built into a table with a top-down view?

Why did with have to wait for touch screen functions? A joystick or mouse could have worked all along. I even have a 20 year old sketch of a 6 player table design with each person having a screen and a big screen in the center for playing a TTRPG. It could have been done LOOOOONG ago if anyone actually thought about bringing the screen to the table rather than selling lightbulbs for overhead projectors.

How long have people used a projector above to display down onto tables?

We have had the tech and power as per Moore's Law, but just don't use it.

I wonder if/when we will see a table for mini-games as well that you can just swap out maps and play on any kind of terrain. The game company that makes the device can make a bundle by licensing rights for object on it for other companies to do ANYTHING on a game-sized table screen.

That is all that has been needed was a screen built into a table. Arcade games have done it for decades!

Then you can have your coffee table e-books literally BE the coffee table!

The retro thing is also because people ran out of any good ideas, and cannot come up with anymore like in movie,s so just steal others ones are remake them; clothes is the obvious thing assigned to the phenomenon.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... face-Table

Awesome! Now I can BSOD my gaming group! :lol:
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I know a half dozen companies and probably dozens (tho personally, like three) individuals working on such projects.

Although, most are doing things like rear-projection, token-pointers, holographic displays or Flash-based portable programming rather than big hardware displays.

-Crissa
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

The problem with high tech gaming tables is not the technology; it has never been the technology and it never will be the technology. The problem is that high tech is often too expensive to be “practical.” This is important, because gamers in general tend to be cheap. Oh sure, here and there you will see someone on the internet boasting of his ultimate gaming table, but these things tend, for the most part to be rich guys who spend for the sake of spending who happen to like role playing. (Just as there are similar guys who build movie theatres in their houses, or equip an outdoor wooden structure with heating / air conditioning and a fully equipped flat screen TV system because he likes to smoke his cigars while watching the sports games.)
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Crissa wrote:I know a half dozen companies and probably dozens (tho personally, like three) individuals working on such projects.

Although, most are doing things like rear-projection, token-pointers, holographic displays or Flash-based portable programming rather than big hardware displays.

-Crissa
I think everything should be a portableapp.

I remember WAY back when a program needed what IT came with to run, and didn't try to breed with your operating system and become a part of it.

They are needed more so that a computer is just a processor with an OS on unwriteable media, and everything else run of removable drives.

You could carry any game you own anywhere and play it from a flash drive rather than carry a whole computer with you or need to have it in one computer only. Oh well it kills DRM but if people are getting out of the house and out form behind their computer in that dark room, then everything needs to be made portable so they can get some more sunlight!

But I still want to build my RPG table one day before I die, and maybe game stores could buy them and have dedicated RPg space so TTRPGs don't die.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Anita Dunn only quoted a quote that right-wingers use all the time. Included in the phrase was also 'mother teresa'. Ugh, please make sure sources aren't vile.

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

She's a fucking propaganda minister. She should know better. I don't care that what she said is reasonable (if a little strange). I care that she is making herself look inept at her own job.

That said, maybe getting ranted about by GB is all part of her master plan. Wait and see.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

So you missed the part where she's quoting a Republican quoting Mao, and that the quote from Mao was actually appropriate to the conversation she was having?

Wait and see what? This was all last week.

-Crissa
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

:confused: Doesn't Christianity say something about we are each given are own choices/path to take, that she said Mao said?

I have no idea what is being argued over there, unless it is just that Glenn Beck is a retard. Do you know that if in Alaska Sarah Palin could have been allowed to spank him?

http://kidjacked.com/legal/spanking_law.asp#alaska
When and to the extent reasonably necessary and appropriate to promote the welfare of the child or incompetent person, a parent, guardian, or other person entrusted with the care and supervision of a child under 18 years of age or an incompetent person may use reasonable and appropriate nondeadly force upon that child or incompetent person.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

shadzar wrote::confused: Doesn't Christianity say something about we are each given are own choices/path to take, that she said Mao said?
Christianity says we have free will but but god has a plan for all of us.
If we follow the plan, that's Good, if we refuse the plan, that's Evil. Regardless of what the plan is.
I have no idea what is being argued over there, unless it is just that Glenn Beck is a retard. Do you know that if in Alaska Sarah Palin could have been allowed to spank him?

http://kidjacked.com/legal/spanking_law.asp#alaska
When and to the extent reasonably necessary and appropriate to promote the welfare of the child or incompetent person, a parent, guardian, or other person entrusted with the care and supervision of a child under 18 years of age or an incompetent person may use reasonable and appropriate nondeadly force upon that child or incompetent person.
Assuming there aren't provisos, that means one could shoot a kid in the kneecaps if it keeps them from crossing a busy street.

And Palin could only spank Glenn Beck if she were made his legal guardian.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Prak_Anima wrote:Assuming there aren't provisos, that means one could shoot a kid in the kneecaps if it keeps them from crossing a busy street.

And Palin could only spank Glenn Beck if she were made his legal guardian.
Well She did run the state didn't she....

As to the shooting in the kneecaps, that is scarily likely to be nondeadly and apply.

But it does make you wonder if that may be how Palin ended up the way she did, with some nondeadly force to straighten her out.... Too bad she wasn't a child in Alaska, so there is still nothing that explains how she ended up the way she did.

I nominate her for most unintelligible person to beat out Katherine Hepburn for the leading spot.

And what good is free will with pre-destined results? nvm...I don't want to even want to know.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

shadzar wrote:And what good is free will with pre-destined results? nvm...I don't want to even want to know.
"Free will is the freedom to make the right choices"

this is seriously their stance on the matter.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

ON to something else....a good laugh for those SNL fans out there.

Stuart Smalley had a moment today where he said "...and that's ...NOT okay."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgqqSHr0wVA
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak_Anima wrote:
Assuming there aren't provisos, that means one could shoot a kid in the kneecaps if it keeps them from crossing a busy street.
You mean provisos like, "to the extent reasonably necessary and appropriate"?

Yeah. it's right there in the text quoted.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Kaelik wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:
You mean provisos like, "to the extent reasonably necessary and appropriate"?

Yeah. it's right there in the text quoted.
Oh you so know that could be argued... any state that has a law that basically says "as long as your kid has a reasonable chance of survival and it's done to protect them, you can hit them" might actually listen to that arguement....

"Well your honor, I was out huntin' wolves with the boy and, well, he just took off, next I knew, he was about to run in front of a snow plow. Well, I wasn't near enough to grab him, so I had to do the only thing I could. I shot him in the leg so he'd stop."

I was thinking more along the lines of a proviso in the text of the law saying "No, you can't shoot your kid, dipshit."
Last edited by Prak on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Yeah, but this is Alaska. Remember Palin was shooting moose from a helicopter...for sport.

I could see it if the moose had his own Apache or Hind as being sport, but come on!