enjoying a game dispite it's flaws?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Re: enjoying a game dispite it's flaws?

Post by CalibronXXX »

Yup, and one with a gun that can make you shit yourself to death.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I don't think he puts others down to make himself look/feel better though. I think he seriously does it because it seems like a good idea at the time. He just randomly trolls people in real life (the real life presented in the comic I'm not suggesting a comic character has influence on the real world).

Or it could be the perpetual mixture of drugs floating in his brain.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

I don't think he does it to make him self feel better either. And possibly making himself look better may well just be a side effect of his strange mixture of apathy and mild to extreme hatred for all that exists.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

As a real person SJ would have died very young. There would be no series. Maybe that's the attraction, that such a ridiculous Joker-like character survives against all common sense.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I think it's worth noting that he's hardly unique within the setting though - so many people are rude, in your face, and generally assholes. For instance, all of the religion-of-the-week types.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Calibron wrote:Yeah, that's why I took a dislike to him, always putting others down for no reason, perhaps other than to make himself look better. Pointing out peoples' flaws in order to try to help them overcome them is one thing, but the way he seems to do it is just pointlessly destructive.

Plus the whole anti-authority thing, not just anti illegitimate or ineffectual authority, but authority in its entirety.

Actually I'd say he insults people because then he gets their attention. Look at how he handled the Transient riots, he was telling people how they were apathetic, ignorent morons who gave power to people who never earned it, and people saw his article scroll over madison square garden or whatever, and actually called the mayor and demanded to have the police called off. People are funny like that, you can call them Shit-eating, baboon-fucking spawn of slime who should have been raped to death at an early age, and they'll listen to what you say next because they're offended and are in shock and can't do anything else. Hell, Spider is the character who makes me think about becoming a journalist, because he is the worst, most vile, evil and despicable human being one can find, and yet he's not as bad as the smiler, or the police(of the series) or a dozen other people, and he's doing good. And insulting people while he's doing it because he knows that how he gets them to listen to the Truth.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Perhaps you're right. Goodness knows reasoning with the populace never fvckin' works.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Agreed. People love to be offended and pissed off. Outrage is what makes news sites so successful.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

glad to see something I've said recently makes sense.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1191031958[/unixtime]]No one has gone further than say "System X sucks, don't use system X".

Yeah. My point was actually noting that everyone here seemed pretty far from the extremes of "Douchebags who want to say that games are for fun and criticism is not fun and circle jerk in a field," and "Douchebags whose errant hostility contains nothing remotely tangential to coherent or cogent criticism." That whole part where I was likening someone here to either of those and judging them, notsomuch stated or even meant to be implied. At least then. Now I'm sort of intrigued by the egotistical bounty of misapplied dichotomies splayed out into sweeping judgments.

And fun fact: The author of SJ has claimed to at times maintained an erection for the entire inking process of an issue.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

He should probably consult a physician for that priapism brought on by inking a fictional character... maybe I can recommend him to mine...

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Publicity-seeking lie. It happens. ^_^
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.