[Conan/Call of Cthulhu d20]Shadow over Stygia Recruiting

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

I'll handle commoner stats, since they're technically NPCs. You can feel free to name them, though.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, I figured as much. I only care that they have 2 ranks of perform(ritual), which is covered then being Stygian. Also they're former temple prostitutes, but that's not a major thing.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Yeah, I'm in the same boat for wanting my male slave to have some Handle Animal ranks, so being Stygian helps for that. The two females would just have to be willing to drink with me while I force Corruption saves on them, so whatever suits the story is fine.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I want my sexy slave girl to be able to cook delicious food. And have the temperment not to poison me.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, that's the other thing I want my slaves to do. Stygian slavery should help there.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so on the topic of slavery, I'm curious about something here. Three of us have slaves, and we're basically using them for domestic concerns, yes? I just find it interesting that given a game that says "slavery is totally a thing in this world and you can own a slave with most people not looking at you funny" we get slaves, but we wouldn't necessarily make characters who had wives in any other game. I know on my part it was because of how the character's culture handles marriage and divorce, but I'm curious about you guys.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Marriage implies more stability than fits my mental image of what stereotypical D&D adventurers or shadow runners enjoy, and white wolf games are practically hostile to the idea of having a normal, healthy relationships. So I rarely go there unless they're adventuring life partners via cohort or whatever. Beyond that, there is no expectation with Howard's oeuvre that indentured servitude or slavery only exists in Mordor, so it's actually an option, and not even a really bad one given that gold doesn't translate directly into vorpal swords for once. Plus, ethically speaking, slavery is way wrong in general, but selling your wife just sounds douchier from an in-character perspective.

And actually, I was on the fence as to whether Isandro was married or not up until the last minute since people get married pretty young in these societies. He's single, but only because disputes over dowry--I dunno what kind of shape Zingara is in during this campaign's timeline, but in Conan's day there was apparently a lot of impoverished nobility around. And as the second son, there isn't as much pressure for him to marry immediately anyway. He could conceivably marry below his station if there's cash at stake.
bears fall, everyone dies
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, the stability issue is one factor of what made me go with slaves too. I was just curious.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I like how that last rushed post makes it sound like I take it for granted that you would want to sell your wife eventually.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Karlus has enough Cimmerian in him that he's not too keen on the idea of slaves, and he's also not keen on people following him around that he has to take care of.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Prak_Anima wrote:Ok, so on the topic of slavery, I'm curious about something here. Three of us have slaves, and we're basically using them for domestic concerns, yes? I just find it interesting that given a game that says "slavery is totally a thing in this world and you can own a slave with most people not looking at you funny" we get slaves, but we wouldn't necessarily make characters who had wives in any other game. I know on my part it was because of how the character's culture handles marriage and divorce, but I'm curious about you guys.
I usually spend excess 'roleplayin' money on food. Because slavery is so common in this setting, I bought a food processor.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Ready to raid the harem when y'all are.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ready

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

ONWARD
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

So Karlus is with the priests and slavegirls? Where's Isandro?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I'm sorry, I figured everybody would write their own "let's meet back at the temple of Ibis and report how we're doing/proceed from there" post.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, sorry. I figured your li'l transition did fine by Isandro given that he was just out to spend some of our money on redshirts.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ancient History wrote:The guard hefts the gold coins that are placed in his hand with a smile, and his fellow returns the same devilish grin.
Good lord we've found Midas! Someone grab that guard! ...carefully...

Ancient History
Serious Badass

The jeweler paid y'all for the gems in gold coin and trade bars, you might recall. Much easier to drop five gold pieces into an outstretched palm than to hand over a bag of fifty silver.

Those characters waiting in the alley can hear the commotion as the troop enters the courtyard.

[/edit]
Also, I assume Neb, Isandro and Kamose intend on entering the house with the girls while Karlus stays outside with the other slaves and animals.
Last edited by Ancient History on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oh. Fair.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

@AH: Yep. Just gonna keep on acting like we belong.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

I figured Karlus would go in with them, since I assumed the slave girls would go in solo. Strength in numbers, don'cha know.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Very well. The steward gives you a strange look but says nothing.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Right now Isandro is down 125sp for bribes. I'm looking to eat most of the 500 to make a nice impression or whatever, but if after the raid the rest of you want to divy up his expenses it might be nice.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

sure

goddamn its the fat princess tactic, what a fiendish man