[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 52 - Night Dragon

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

I dunno if I'm allowed to suggest things, being the narrator and all...
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Yeah, I was directing the question mostly at MisterDee, since he suggested changing our earlier spendings.

I'd be fine with either option (retconning shopping list or full restore).
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

There is one option that is quite abusable...
In Ismater, there was the option to work; there is no upper bound specified to how long you can work, and it pays 2 golds a day in exchange for 2 points of Time Track (free room, food and board). So you could, I dunno, set aside 40 Time Track unit for 40 golds, more than enough to buy all the items for sale there, and have lots left over.
It is pretty cheesy, but if I could do it all over again I would definitely go that route.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

^ I think it was established early in the game that we shouldn't be too cavalier with Time Track; if we take too much time, we'll suffer the consequences -- I guess the dragon will be more powerful or something.

I vote that we try to find the food room and see where it gets us food- and stamina-wise. If it's too little too late, we can try SW's suggestion, but for let's say 10 time track units.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Welp, just let me know how you want to handle things. So far the decision points seem to be:

- picking another door (this one is obvious)
- selling off useless items for golds to get food with
- whether continues restart us with full Stamina or Luck
- whether we save the world with manual labor (Ismater time for bux)
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:Welp, just let me know how you want to handle things. So far the decision points seem to be:

[...]
- whether continues restart us with full Stamina or Luck
[...]
I feel I have to preemptively vote against this, as it seems too much like cheating for my taste. I can rationalize retconning -- we can say we restarted from an earlier point and did things differently, but this is too blatant.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sirocco wrote:I vote that we try to find the food room and see where it gets us food- and stamina-wise. If it's too little too late, we can try SW's suggestion, but for let's say 10 time track units.
To get this going, I'll second this vote, since there are objections to a full-restored character and re-voting for our shopping lists would probably take too long.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

SGamerz wrote:
Sirocco wrote:I vote that we try to find the food room and see where it gets us food- and stamina-wise. If it's too little too late, we can try SW's suggestion, but for let's say 10 time track units.
To get this going, I'll second this vote, since there are objections to a full-restored character and re-voting for our shopping lists would probably take too long.
Sure, I'll third this.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

So, I'll assume we don't eat the biscuits but pick another door. Door on the left or door on the right?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Right.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The right choice is always right.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

On the other side of this door lies a guardroom with hard pallet beds, a table and a few chairs,and similar spartan furnishings. A grey-robed man is lying asleep at the far end of the room. You see some food on the table; if you wish to take it, turn to 163. If you prefer to leave, for fear of waking the sleeping guard, you can make for the door opposite the one here if you haven't done so before (turn to 245) or the one to your right as you emerge (turn to 341).
I am going to assume eating occurs.
You can take enough for here for 4 meals (add 4 to your Provisions); as you turn to leave, however, the guard, who was only feigning sleep, leaps up and strikes you on the back of the head with a heavy, iron-banded wooden staff! Deduct 2 points from your Stamina; you must fight him.

GREY ACOLYTE Skill 8 Stamina 9

If you win, will you:

Head for the door to your right? (turn to 341)
Make for the door opposite you? (turn to 245)
Leave the brewery and explore elsewhere in Carnex? (turn to 333)
FIGHT! I'm also engaging Skyrim inventory mode, so we can eat six cheese wheels and 2 whole turkeys before the next blow falls.
Dirk 21 (16/22) Assassin 19 (9/9, -2)
Dirk 17 (16/22) Assassin 15 (7/9, -2)
Dirk 16 (16/22) Assassin 15 (5/9, -2)
Dirk 18 (16/22) Assassin 12 (3/9, -2)
Dirk 20 (16/22) Assassin 16 (1/9, -2; defeated)
There is only one other option (to explore inside the brewery) but we can go look around the rest of Carnex. Most likely we can't come back, though...
Dirk el Dragoncock

Skill 11 (+1 from Magic Shield)
Stamina 16/22
Luck 5/12

Honour 2
Nemesis 3
Time Track 41

Gear:
Sword
Leather armor
Magic Shield
Lantern
Backpack
0/12 Provisions
0 golds
Silver key
Rope
Longbow and arrows
Spiked boots
Ice pick
Viewing lens
Carved ivory polar bear
Steel mirror
Flask of Walrus Oil
Silver plaque with "Endimion" carved onto it
Smoke powder

Special:
20-stranded spider's web tattoo with a dragon's skull in it, seen on paragraph 55.

Shield Number: 70

Death count: 1
- Eating rohypnol biscuits and being sacrificed to the nameless cult of evil
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Explore
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Might as well explore while we're here.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

You open the door very slightly; inside you see two grey-robed men at work over great vats of steaming liquid with a black-robed man supervising them. He soon leaves,setting off down a spiral staircase at the far side of the room, leaving the grey men to their labour. One of them breaks off chunks of a biscuity substance and crumbles it into the vats while the other grins. You catch fragments of conversation; "That'll do it... the High Priest says this drug is perfect, they'll be slaves soon... slave army's needed to move something... in the towers, I shouldn't be surprised." You don't know what they're talking about, but you make a note not to eat any biscuits you may find and to stay well clear of the beer! Now, will you:

Enter the room and attack the men? (turn to 327)
Enter this room and try to bluff your way through? (turn to 287)
Try the door opposite the one you entered the brewery by? (turn to 341)
Try the door opposite you, if you haven't done so before? (turn to 221)
Amusingly enough, there is no "if you have not been there before" clause for the food room, so theoretically we could game infinite Provisions out of it. But I'll assume we're not that cheesy. That aside, we're really left with bluffing or fighting, since there's no retreat option.
Dirk el Dragoncock

Stamina 16/22
Luck 5/12

Honour 2
Nemesis 3
Time Track 41

Gear:
Sword
Leather armor
Magic Shield
Lantern
Backpack
0/12 Provisions
0 golds
Silver key
Rope
Longbow and arrows
Spiked boots
Ice pick
Viewing lens
Carved ivory polar bear
Steel mirror
Flask of Walrus Oil
Smoke powder

Special:
20-stranded spider's web tattoo with a dragon's skull in it, seen on paragraph 55.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We're still dressed as a grey robed dude, right? In that case we should bluff.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

I suppose it's because we were badass and untouchable and the other guy was using a blunt weapon but yes, we are still grayrobed and not greyragged.
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Bluff again.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

You stroll nonchalantly past the two men working at the vats; however, if you are not wearing grey robes they will attack you; turn to 327 but disregard the instructions in that paragraph concerning bow shots! If you are wearing grey robes, the men let you past; regain 1 point of Luck! Turn to 347.
Good thing we have those robes!
Without them we get chased out of Carnex and the bowshots take 2d6 Stamina from us.
You descend the spiral staircase and walk as quietly as you can along the winding stone passageway beneath it. You must have travelled a hundred metros before you observe a slightly open door ahead of you. Seeing and hearing no one, you open the portal and advance into the chamber beyond. However, you almost wish you hand;t when you look around: dark bloodstains splatter the walls here and, in the corners of the room, stand stone statues of a ghastly Dragon-like figure. The statues of the skeletal Dragon radiate malice and hatred, and you realize you have stumbled on some terrible den of evil here. here is a single door other than the one you have entered by, but you haven't time to check it closely! A secret door to your right flies open and two men rush out at you. Fortunately, your alert senses allow you to get to the doorway so you can fight these enemies one at a time. The first is a grey-robed assassin carrying a curved dagger which is poisoned; if he strikes you during the first three Attack Rounds of combat the poison on his weapon will cause you to lose 2 extra Stamina points in addition to the usual weapon damage. After three Attack Rounds, the poison will have dripped off his weapon.In the first Attack Round, the black-robed man will cast a spell, and a glowing cloud of claw-shaped black wisps of smoke will fly from his hands and plunge into your chest, causing excruciating pain; deduct 3 points from your Stamina. Then the black-robed man will draw a sword and fight you - if and when you overcome his fellow!

GREY ASSASSIN Skill 8 Stamina 9
BLACK ASSASSIN Skill 9 Stamina 12

If you win, you can explore behind the secret door your enemies entered by (turn to 42) or open the other door in this room (turn to 310). Alternatively, you can decide that it's time to leave Carnex; turn to 75.
Well shit, we take 3 points of damage no save. Regardless: FIGHT!
Dirk 16 (13/22) Grey Assassin 14 (7/9)
Dirk 16 (13/22) Grey Assassin 16 (7/9)
Dirk 20 (13/22) Grey Assassin 11 (5/9)
Dirk 19 (13/22) Grey Assassin 16 (3/9)
Dirk 18 (13/22) Grey Assassin 12 (1/9)
Dirk 20 (13/22) Grey Assassin 16 (-1/9, killed)

Dirk 16 (13/22) Black Assassin 15 (10/12)
Dirk 23 (13/22) Black Assassin 19 (8/12)
Dirk 15 (13/22) Black Assassin 12 (6/12)
Dirk 20 (13/22) Black Assassin 15 (4/12)
Dirk 23 (13/22) Black Assassin 16 (2/12)
Dirk 23 (13/22) Black Assassin 18 (0/12, killed)
DOUBLE FLAWLESS. Now, secret door, other door, or flee?
Dirk el Dragoncock

Stamina 16/22
Luck 6/12

Honour 2
Nemesis 3
Time Track 41

Gear:
Sword
Leather armor
Magic Shield
Lantern
Backpack
0/12 Provisions
0 golds
Silver key
Rope
Longbow and arrows
Spiked boots
Ice pick
Viewing lens
Carved ivory polar bear
Steel mirror
Flask of Walrus Oil
Smoke powder

Special:

Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Secret door.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Always take the secret doors.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Beyond the secret door lies a small chamber with beds, a table and chairs, a hideous mural of an elongated, reptilian skull, and two other items which interest you: a small wooden chest and an iron-barred cell which is filled with thick, yellow-grey fog. On one chair is a spare set of grey robes; you may take these if you wish. You can feel the chill radiating from the foggy cell where you stand; while there are keys on the table which may fit the cell, and you think you can see a murky form within it, you feel an aura of evil emanating from within. So, will you:

Try to open the wooden chest? (turn to 166)
Open the cell door? (turn to 91)
Leave and open the other door across the large room? (turn to 310)
Decide it's time to get out of Carnex and leave the town? (turn to 75)
Dirk el Dragoncock

Stamina 16/22
Luck 6/12

Honour 2
Nemesis 3
Time Track 41

Gear:
Sword
Leather armor
Magic Shield
Lantern
Backpack
0/12 Provisions
0 golds
Silver key
Rope
Longbow and arrows
Spiked boots
Ice pick
Viewing lens
Carved ivory polar bear
Steel mirror
Flask of Walrus Oil
Smoke powder

Special:

Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Chest = loot!
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Always be looting!
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

The keys on the table don't fit the chest, and there are no keys on the bodies of the Assassins you have slain. Trying to prise open the lock on the chest, you must Test your Skill. If you of not have an ice pick (which you can use to prise off the lock), you must add 2 to the number rolled on the dice. If you are successful, turn to 280. If you fail, turn to 297.
Dirk succeeds handily with a 7 and an icepick!
You manage to prise open the lock, and the first object you grab from the chest is a sleek leather bag. This contains 4 Gold Pieces, but is also magical. This bag can carry weight, up to a certain limit, without weighing you down! With this bag, your normal maximum number of Provisions carried is not the usual 12 but is increased to 17, since the bag can contain 5 units of Provisions and still be weightless! Gain 1 Luck point for this fortunate find. You also find a vial of tattooing ink and a needle here, and a note which reads: "Increase the frequency of the Watch. You must procure further sacrifices so that I can create further Stalkers, we must slay the idiot the Dark Elf recruited in Blacksand. Obey me, or the breath of the Ancient will be sure to fall upon you!" The note bears a signature which it is very difficult to make out. If you have a viewing lens, turn to 114. If you don't have this, turn to 131.
Obscure purchase: vindicated!
The signature reads "Scalmagzaprin", so you make a note of his name: he may be someone in a position of authority here, and certainly the small tower symbol below his name suggests that he may be found in the northern towers of Carnex. Now, will you:

Open the cage here, if you haven't already done so? (turn to 91)
Leave this room and open the door opposite? (turn to 310)
Leave the brewery and make for the towers? (turn to 383)
Backtrack and leave the town of Carnex? (turn to 75)
Dirk el Dragoncock

Stamina 16/22
Luck 7/12

Honour 2
Nemesis 3
Time Track 41

Gear:
Sword
Leather armor
Magic Shield
Lantern
Backpack
0/17 Provisions
4 golds
Silver key
Rope
Longbow and arrows
Spiked boots
Ice pick
Viewing lens
Carved ivory polar bear
Steel mirror
Flask of Walrus Oil
Smoke powder
Bag of Holding
Tattooing ink and needle

Special:
Scalmagzaprin might be someone important, probably in the towers of Carnex.

Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.